UC to buy out Huggins' contract?

skyline

Bye Bob, we'll miss ya, but you're a bloated Elvis of a coach who's program has spun out of control.

Already he's lost his two best recruits from last year's class...one for dropping a LOADED GUN on campus and it going off. This a year after being caught slobbering drunk behind the wheel on national TV no less - just absolutely pathetic for a man that age to have the problems he does.

I think Zimpher has been extrodinarily patient with him thus far...and Goin will be gone soon to then there's no one for Huggy to run to when his kids get arrested for beating up their girlfriends, torturing their roommates, punching horses, bringing loaded guns to school, missing class, not qualifying academically, receiving improper benefits, flunking drug tests, etc.., etc.., etc...,

It amazes me that even the most hardcore UC fans continue to make excuses for him. I've had enough myself, a change is sorely and desperately needed.

Who they replace him with exactly is the key obviously.

I hope Hugins stays -- he is the best thing that has happen to UC since Ed Jucker!!!!

All you Huggins hater should remember the years with Tony Yates -- thats what I hate -- losing!!!

There's two good arguments of this from both sides.

1. Huggins and UC go together. When someone says UC basketball, for 99% of the nation, not just the tri-state, think Bob Huggins. So he was caught with a DUI, so freakin' what. So was Freel and everyone treats him like a sympathy little brother. So the area, in that case is very hyprocritical. And if Zimpher did fire him, she'd have a serious problem with the fans and maybe the students; hence the buyout and, so far, the lack of an extension. She's doing it slowly and methodically.

And Huggins didn't lose their two recruits. One was found with a gun, and the other was just a moron.

2. (the other side) Huggins has taken the team as far as it'll go. He's given the program a life and all that's left is going to the next level (past the second round).

So we come to this question.

Do you want a good image, with great people, that doesn't win? Or do you want a rough image that always has a chance to win?

I'm with Kirk, I can easily see both ways ans it depends on waht you want. With the mov to the big East I'm not sure if the guys Huggins recruits is good enough. Winning the CUSA is not the same as trying to win the Big East every year. I just can't see us winning 20-25 games facing Syracuse, UConn, and others every year

But he would also keep us respectable every year and probably competing (but never winning) for a conference title. But how many off the field issues can one guy dodge before getting poop-canned? It'll have to play out too perfect to benefit UC. Maybe, if Oscar starts coaching or sometnhing dramatic to bring in people, but no way does he do that. I don't think it looks too good for Huggy Bear, though

I'm with Kirk, I can easily see both ways ans it depends on waht you want. With the mov to the big East I'm not sure if the guys Huggins recruits is good enough. Winning the CUSA is not the same as trying to win the Big East every year. I just can't see us winning 20-25 games facing Syracuse, UConn, and others every year

But he would also keep us respectable every year and probably competing (but never winning) for a conference title. But how many off the field issues can one guy dodge before getting poop-canned? It'll have to play out too perfect to benefit UC. Maybe, if Oscar starts coaching or sometnhing dramatic to bring in people, but no way does he do that. I don't think it looks too good for Huggy Bear, though

Man, wouldn't that be cool...to see Oscar coaching UC?

As someone who doesn't really care one way or another about the UC program, I've thought for a while now that it would be in both Huggins and the university's best interests to go seperate ways. Huggins is at a ceiling with UC. Huggins will always have a good number of wins every season, but I don't see any momentum behind the team that will take them higher. And maybe a change of scenery will help Huggins grow into a better coach.

Do you want a good image, with great people, that doesn't win? Or do you want a rough image that always has a chance to win?

Does this have to be an either/or question? And what are you calling a "good" image and a "rough image?"

I don't think he could handle it, but yeah, it would be cool. Oscar is too much of a no nonsense guy with too high morals to be able to coach for more than a couple of years. But think about it. UC is not some great campus in a great city, it's basically a commuter school and I don't think anyone will confuse Cincy and NY. Right now Huggs IS UC bball and if you want to keep winning conference titles and first round tournament games you better find a quality guy to be the face of the university. Some up and coming assistant from somewhere probably won't cut it.

Some up and coming assistant from somewhere probably won't cut it.

No, someone like that won't make it. You need really go after someone who can take them up to the next level. Actually, all you need to do is get hit with sanctions and hit rock bottom. Then you can hire Rick Pitino.

losing huggins is a big mistake.

How is consciously choosing to remain a decent, not great, team a mistake? How is Huggins going to make the team better? Sure, there have been seasons here or there where UC has done really well, but more often than not, the team will wind up ranked at about 20 or 25 and be a 5 seed in the tournament. If you're satisfied with that performance, then losing Huggins would be a mistake.

How is consciously choosing to remain a decent, not great, team a mistake? How is Huggins going to make the team better? Sure, there have been seasons here or there where UC has done really well, but more often than not, the team will wind up ranked at about 20 or 25 and be a 5 seed in the tournament. If you're satisfied with that performance, then losing Huggins would be a mistake.

You need to keep in mind though, Huggins IS UC's best recruitment tool. Other than lazy academic standards for athletes (which, I guess is any college anyway), which has NOTHING to do with Huggins, there's no reason really to join UC unless you're looking to stay home.

exactly kirk. cincy isnt that great of a place to pull recruits. u have to have a coach and huggins has shown that he can recruit talent. ive seen what unlv has done since tarkanian left...not much. that is what will happen to cincy even if they get a big name coach. a different philosophy will not work in cincy.

exactly kirk. cincy isnt that great of a place to pull recruits. u have to have a coach and huggins has shown that he can recruit talent. ive seen what unlv has done since tarkanian left...not much. that is what will happen to cincy even if they get a big name coach. a different philosophy will not work in cincy.

Dang. I think jditty nailed it here! If Huggins goes, so too does their program.

• 3 weeks later...
exactly kirk.  cincy isnt that great of a place to pull recruits.  u have to have a coach and huggins has shown that he can recruit talent.  ive seen what unlv has done since tarkanian left...not much.  that is what will happen to cincy even if they get a big name coach.  a different philosophy will not work in cincy.

Dang. I think jditty nailed it here! If Huggins goes, so too does their program.

yep

wouldn't you say that Huggins was given formal notice to behave properly or else.....

As far as the program goes, UC is an attractive place to coach, especially now that they are in the Big East. So landing a talented replacement shouldn't be too difficult. Maybe that's what he was told?

On another note, he's not that great of a recruiter, he simply goes after the talented thugs no one else wants. <_<