Underated Teams

I took a little stroll this morning through the forums of different NFl teams this morning, which was kinda fun. I was mostly looking for topics which like 2005 predictions which generally rated Bengals as a wild card winner. Lots of teams had question marks about the Bengals and many of them showed quite a bit of respect for what Marvin has done here (and maybe a little bit of fear).

But the topic i enjoyed most was one called underated/overated teams. Bengals were the consensus favorite for underated teams...other teams included the Jaguars and a lot of votes for the Cardinals. Overated included the Jets, Cowboys, and Pittsburgh.

I think we are underated, and anyone who has read my posts knows I like it that way. I would agree and say the Jaguars are also underated. It was also a consensus that we have the toughest division in football this year. What do you think?

I take offense to that...how are the Jets overrated? I think they underrated year in and year out, as a matter of fact. Here's why: I usually look at opponents boards in the offseason to see what predictions they are making on the season. Every jets opponent predicts they will win the game that season (including all you guys last year). Everyone!! Fans around the league always seem to take the Jets for granted and the national media does as well.

The overrated teams in this league are the Packers, Broncos and Ravens. Year in the media and fans alike treat these guys as elite teams. Enough already!!

If you are talking about the Jets as a top 3 team, I'd agree and say they are overrated. I don't think that is ever discussed, though. As a #4-10 team, I'd say that is pretty fair, though.

I know the Colts was one of them, I can't remember the other one that talked about the Jests...I wanna say Buffalo

I know the Colts was one of them, I can't remember the other one that talked about the Jests...I wanna say Buffalo

Thanks.

Colts fans calling anyone overrated is laughable. That 41-0 playoff trouncing is still fresh in my head and Paytons no-show in the divisionals should be fresh in everybodyBuff fans I can understand saying something like that b/c we did split w/ them last year yet the Jets are talked about more b/c they have made the playoffs more often in recent years. Still, the Bills seem to be off-season hype machines year in and year out, as well.

I'm not sure I'd call the 2005 Bengals under-rated; like Prisco said in his much-debated ranking, they're a "chic pick" this year. If anything, I'd argue they're a trifle over-rated. That isn't to say they don't have the potential to be a great team...but they need a number of things to happen to turn that potential into reality. Among them:

Carson Palmer. Compared to last season, when the change from Kit to Palmer elicited passionate debate (for obvious reasons) there has been almost no discussion of Carson this offseason. He did show clear improvement as the season progressed last year and his fearless performances in Baltimore and in the second Cleveland game showed that for the first time in forever, the bengals have a QB who's not to be trifled with. But...12 NFL starts does not a seasoned NFL vet make. How much of the learning curve he has yet to climb will have a big impact on the Bengals' season, Moreover, the rest of league has 12 games worth of film in the vaults on the kid now, and our division foes have begun to get a feel for him. I think his challenges will be, if anything, even greater this year than last year. The pressure will really be on him to step it up this coming season

The defense. For the third year in a row, we will see significant changes on the D. New coordinator, obviously, second one in 3 years. One new starter, Pollack, is virtually certain, and if Askew doesn't make the starting DT rotation...then I'd be surprised if he makes the team. Geathers will see more time, someone new will be at SS, and how MLB eventually works out...who knows? We could easily have three new starters (Pollack, Odell, someone at SS), four if you count Askew, come opening day. And that could lead us to take a step back on D just as easily as it could bring us a step forward. The one saving grace we have is that our secondary appears to be solid (SS excepted). But we are going to need multiple, I repeat multiple rooks and inexperienced second-year types to step up and be difference makers, especially against the run...and that's an iffy proposition at best.

Moreover, the rest of league has 12 games worth of film in the vaults on the kid now, and our division foes have begun to get a feel for him. I think his challenges will be, if anything, even greater this year than last year. The pressure will really be on him to step it up this coming season

Total disagreement from this chair. Having a few games of film on Palmer is only going to make other teams nervous. Knowing what's coming won't help 'em a bit. I know this smacks of homerism but I think the things Palmer does well makes him almost unstoppable if he can get his mistakes under control, which I think he will rather quickly.*

* The one thing I'm hoping for most is that he learns to wait a beat before throwing that hard sideline out.

"Total disagreement from this chair. Having a few games of film on Palmer is only going to make other teams nervous. Knowing what's coming won't help 'em a bit. I know this smacks of homerism but I think the things Palmer does well makes him almost unstoppable if he can get his mistakes under control, which I think he will rather quickly.*"

Well he was doing good towards the end till he got hurt.

Breaking it down...the offense is not underated by the league..everyone knows its capable of scoring lots of points...

its the defense thats holding us back from getting the respect we want...we arent even sure how it will do yet.. so many quesstion marks especially the line..

Im not sure Robinson is going to be that effective. Askew seems to like eating more than working out.. Geathers may or may not be good at stopping the run.

We the defense shows that they can play at a consistant level the respect will come.

Bengals were the consensus favorite for underated teams...and a lot of votes for the Cardinals.

I'm telling ya! These two teams are on a Super Bowl collision course!

Overated included the Jets, Cowboys, and Pittsburgh.

It's always been that way with Dallas. <_<

It was also a consensus that we have the toughest division in football this year. What do you think?

It's either the AFC North or East. Right now...I say North.

I disagree with you Walshfan in saying that people already believe in our offense. They see it as okay and mostly because we have one good WR in Chad and one serviceable RB in Rudi. But they believe that a lot of teams have a good WR and a serviceable RB.

Nobody fears Carson and still believe he's a question mark or a year or two out. Housch is still virtually unknown, mostly due to his lack of TD's last year (I'm guessing), and an O-line (though I believe ours is quite good) is hard to stand out.

Most Bengal fans believe that our defense is really coming around, not so with the rest of the league. Every time we are in the running and don't land a big name FA (ala Sharper, Vincent, Taylor, or Sapp) they still view as a defense which has no where near the firepower that is needed. The shining stars we have on defense (according to us) Madieu, Smith, LJ, even Tory going to the pro bowl are not regarded as stars by anyone else.

Much of what we believe is because we really believe it, but some is because we really want to believe it. The truth of the matter is is that we have seen the flashes of greatness in what Marvin and his team have done and believe very soon we will see this consistently. The rest of the league doesn't want to believe it so they really don't. I can't tell you what a good thing this is...I don't bloody care if we don't get prime time games! For 3/4's of the league to circle games with us as guaranteed wins is Christmas for us!

I'm not sure I'd call the 2005 Bengals under-rated; like Prisco said in his much-debated ranking, they're a "chic pick" this year. If anything, I'd argue they're a trifle over-rated. That isn't to say they don't have the potential to be a great team...but they need a number of things to happen to turn that potential into reality. Among them:

Carson Palmer. Compared to last season, when the change from Kit to Palmer elicited passionate debate (for obvious reasons) there has been almost no discussion of Carson this offseason. He did show clear improvement as the season progressed last year and his fearless performances in Baltimore and in the second Cleveland game showed that for the first time in forever, the bengals have a QB who's not to be trifled with. But...12 NFL starts does not a seasoned NFL vet make. How much of the learning curve he has yet to climb will have a big impact on the Bengals' season, Moreover, the rest of league has 12 games worth of film in the vaults on the kid now, and our division foes have begun to get a feel for him. I think his challenges will be, if anything, even greater this year than last year. The pressure will really be on him to step it up this coming season

The defense. For the third year in a row, we will see significant changes on the D. New coordinator, obviously, second one in 3 years. One new starter, Pollack, is virtually certain, and if Askew doesn't make the starting DT rotation...then I'd be surprised if he makes the team. Geathers will see more time, someone new will be at SS, and how MLB eventually works out...who knows? We could easily have three new starters (Pollack, Odell, someone at SS), four if you count Askew, come opening day. And that could lead us to take a step back on D just as easily as it could bring us a step forward. The one saving grace we have is that our secondary appears to be solid (SS excepted). But we are going to need multiple, I repeat multiple rooks and inexperienced second-year types to step up and be difference makers, especially against the run...and that's an iffy proposition at best.

adding perry, warrick, and henry to our offense will keep teams guessing and carson will still be able to do what he did last year. this year will be easier than last year. so otherwise i disagree with u joisey.

Rookie WR's, especially those not taken in the first round, take a while to catch on and usually don't make much of a splash 'til their 2nd or 3rd year. Opposing defenses won't play call around them until they are proven...it is one of those slow to develop skill positions.

Rookie WR's, especially those not taken in the first round, take a while to catch on and usually don't make much of a splash 'til their 2nd or 3rd year. Opposing defenses won't play call around them until they are proven...it is one of those slow to develop skill positions.

if he does ANYTHING hes an improvement over washington. a rookie can do that. and plus, its a #4 WR...rookies can flurish in that role.

Here are some predictions from fans at www.cbssportsline.com

AFC EAST

Jets 11-5 (OFFSEASON SUCKED BUT PENNINGTON TO COLES AGAIN, AND THAT DEFENSE IS ENOUGH TO BEAT THE PATS)

Pats 10-6 (I HATE THE PATS BUT THEY ARE A GREAT TEAM AND FIND A WAY TO WIN, THEY BREAK A LITTLE THIS YEAR THO)

Bills 9-7 (THE DEFENCE WILL CARRY THEM TO 9 WINS BUT LOSMAN WILL STRUGGLE IN HIS FIRST YEAR)

Dolphins 5-11 (NOT EXPECTING ALOT FROM THE DOLPHINS THIS YEAR WITH A BIG QUESTION AT QUARTERBACK..BROCK BERLIN MAYBE? AND A CRAP LOAD OF NEW PLAYERS/COACHES)

AFC NORTH

RAVENS 12-4 (AGAIN I DONT LIKE THE RAVENS AT ALL BUT THEYRE DEFENCE IS UNMATCHED, KYLE BOLLER SUCKS BUT HE DOESNT HAVE TO BE THAT GOOD WITH A D LIKE THAT, PLUS DERRICK MASON HELPS)

BENGALS 9-7 (CARSON PALMER WAS SHOWING PROMISE IN THE CLOSING GAMES AND I THINK THEY MOVE PAST 8-8 THIS YEAR..SLIGHTLY, STILL NOT A PLAYOFF CALIBER TEAM)

STEELERS 8-8 (BIGGEST FLUKE IN THE NFL, DONT EXPECT ANYTHING CLOSE TO WHAT WE SAY LAST YEAR, TO MANY HOLES AND BIG BEN ISNT THAT GOOD)

BROWNS 3-13 (A LITTLE PROGRESSION FROM LAST YEAR BUT THE BROWNS STILL SUCK I DONT CARE WHO THEY DRAFTED AND WHO THERE COACH IS

AFC SOUTH

COLTS 14-2 FINALLY THEY GOT SOME DEFENCE, IF THEY GREW THE BALLS TO TRADE EDGERIN JAMES FOR SOME DEFENCIVE VETERNS THEY COULD BE UNDEFEATED..WELL CLOSE, BUT YEA THE COLTS ARE GOOD

JAGUARS 10-6 PEOPLE HAVE BEEN PREDICTING PLAYOFFS THE PAST COUPLE YEARS FOR THEM AND FINALLY THEY MAKE IT! THE DEFENSE WILL CARRY THEM TO THE WILDCARD GAME AND MAYBE FURTHER IF LEFTWICH PROGRESSES.. (MAYBE NEXT YEAR ANYONE?)

TEXANS 9-7 LUCKILY THEY GET TO PLAY THE TITANS TWICE..THEY PROGGRESS AGAIN BUT THEY NEED MORE DEFENSE, ANDRE DAVIS IS AN ANIMAL AND WILL GO OFF AGAIN, I SEE THIS TEAM MAKING DRASTIC IMPROVEMENT THIS YEAR.

TITANS 1-15 HAHAHA THE TITANS WILL SUCK ITS NO MYSTERY, BY WEEK 6 MCNAIR - INJURED, BROWN - INJURED...ANY OTHER QUESTIONS, FIND SOME PLAYERS WHO CAN FINISH A SEASON.. AND A NEW ACCOUNTANT

AFC WEST

CHARGERS 10-6 I DONT LIKE TO BASE PICKS SOLELY ON LAST SEASON..BUT THEY LOOKED PRETTY DAMN GOOD AND ONLY GOT BETTER ON PAPER

RAIDERS 9-7- THE RAIDERS HAVE A SICK OFFENSE THIS YEAR..LOOK FOR JORDAN TO RUSH FOR 1300 PLUS, AND MOSS 1300 PLUS RECIEVING. THE DEFENSE IS DEFINATLY QUESTIONABLE..BUT THEY PLAY THE CHIEFS TWICE.

BRONCOS 8-8 I DONT REALLY KNOW HOW THEY WON 10 GAMES LAST YEAR, I SAW THEM PLAY LIKE 6 TIMES AND IT WAS ALWAYS JAKE PLUMMER THROWING FOR A.) A TON OF YARDS OR B.) A TON OF INTERCEPTIONS..THIS TEAM NEED CONSISTENCY MORE THAN THEY NEED A SHRINK FOR DRAFTING MAURICE CLARRETT.

CHIEFS 4-12 FINALLY THEY CAVED IN AND SPENT SOME MONEY ON D! BUT MY PREDICTION IS THIS IS THE YEAR THE OFFENSE BEGINS TO CRUMBLE, PRIEST AND GONZALES ARE BOTH GETTING OLD AND LOOK FOR ONE TO GET HURT THIS YEAR AND THEN THATS IT FOR THE OFFENSE, THE DEFENSE WILL ALSO STRUGGLE IN ITS FIRST YEAR IN A TOTALLY DIFFERENT SYSTEM.

WILDCARD

JETS OVER JAGS 29-17

BOLTS OVER PATS 32-31

DIVISIONAL

COLTS OVER BOLTS 42-31

RAVENS OVER JETS 17-16

CONFERENCE

COLTS OVER RAVENS 29-13

SUPER BOWL

COLTS OVER MINNESOTA 100-80

Here's another fan prediction from cbssportsline.com

pats (10-6)

jets (10-6)

bills (7-9)

dolphins (5-11)

ravens (12-4)

steelers (8-8)

browns (6-10)

bengals (6-10)

colts (13-3)

jaguars (10-6)

texans (6-10)

titans (2-14)

chargers (11-5)

broncos (9-7)

raiders (7-9)

cheifs (5-11)

eagles (12-4)

cowboys (9-7)

giants (8-8)

redskins (5-11)

packers (11-5)

vikings (9-7)

bears (6-10)

lions (4-12)

falcons (12-4)

saints (9-7)

panthers (8-8)

bucs (8-8)

seahawks (9-7)

cardinals (8-8)

rams (7-9)

49ers (5-11)

the nfc will suck a lot again. heres how playoffs will look

pats d. jets

bolts d. jags

ravens d. pats

colts d. bolts

ravens d. colts

packers d. cowboys

vikings d. seahawks

eagles d. vikings

packers d. falcons

packers d. eagles

ravens vs. packers super bowl 40

don't tell me we are getting any respect!

and this is the last one...obviously by a steelers fan

Ravens 12-4, I do not think so, they will have 4 losses in the division, and Steelers 8-8, are you crazy??? Their 6-10 previous year was the fluke, when they got away from Steeler Football and tried to air it ou...We see where that gets you, ask the Colts or the Cheifs...As long as the Steelers keep running the ball, they will be fineEVERYONE knows their D will be top 3 in the NFL

Cinci has done nothing and will do nothing, they will be lucky to be 8-8 this year, you can NOT count on ROOKIES to contribute, Steelers will be 11-5 or 12-4 and win the division

Baltimore 10-6 and a wild card

Cinci 8-8 AGAIN

Cleveland...who cares...does not matter

AFC North will be the most Physical conference in Football, and with Baltimore and Pittsburghs style of football, either one coul go all the way, but face it in the AFC, Patriots, Steelers, Ravens are designed to win in January...Colts Cheifs, Chargers can't hang when you have to win in the trenches...

LOL Kazkal. I would go on saying my regular rant about how this is good news and we want to be underated, but I'm afraid you're holding something sharp. I'm with you in "I can't wait to show these guys". It's gonna be fun this fall. And even though my heart skipped a beat when Chris Mortenson picked the Bengals as his darkhorse to win the Super Bowl this year, I don't want too many people saying that.

Tell you what, you and me will raid the Ravens and Pittsburgh message boards after we beat them this year...I wish I had thought about it last year after our 4th quarter comeback verses the Ravens away.

Here's another fan prediction from cbssportsline.com

don't tell me we are getting any respect!

The key word in your 1st sentence is "fan!" Not "writer" or "analyst." Not even as much as "Knows his/her ass from a hole in the ground." So what I see is we're not getting any respect from a fan of another team who most likely a wee bit biased?

Hmmph! My reply?: