New Dave Matthews Album

Kirkendall

It's VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY mellow...

Sort of...there are some mellow tracks (Out of My Hands, Steady As We Go, etc.).

Overall, though, I'm not sure if I'd describe it that way. I think those songs are pretty balanced with some more upbeat songs. Hello Again and Hunger for the Great Light are both going to be great energy boosters for their live shows.

Being a fellow guitar-mate, you might enjoy "You might die trying".

Pretty cool song...I think I may get tired of it, but I'm enjoying that one for now.

Did you see the Roseland show on AOL? Pretty good quality streaming video.

Of the new songs, they played: Hello Again, American Baby, You Might Die Trying, Louisiana Bayou (I HATE the yelp Dave does on this one!!), Hunger for the Great Light, and Steady As We Go.

Here's the link if you want to check it out:

http://channelevents.aol.com/music/bbr/b/archive.adp

Did you get the bonus disc? I ordered mine through the Warehouse, so it's supposed to come with an 8 song extra disc...I got standard delivery, though, so it's going to take 7-10 business days :rolleyes:

I hate waiting!

Sorry to jump off topic...

but has anyone seen the video for "Gravedigger"? I'm a big fan of Dave's and DMB's darker songs (which is why BTCS is my favorite album of theirs), and not only did I really like this song but the video was probaby the most unsettling video I've seen in years.

Mark Pellington is a genius ("The Mothman Prophecies" is IMO the creepiest movie ever), and the chorus in that song is one of my all-time favorites.

Gravedigger, when you dig my grave,

could you make it shallow, so that I can feel the rain?

Sorry about that...I went off on a tangent. I haven't heard the new DMB yet, but I am sure I will buy the album whether I hear it or not.

but has anyone seen the video for "Gravedigger"? I'm a big fan of Dave's and DMB's darker songs (which is why BTCS is my favorite album of theirs), and not only did I really like this song but the video was probaby the most unsettling video I've seen in years.

Mark Pellington is a genius ("The Mothman Prophecies" is IMO the creepiest movie ever), and the chorus in that song is one of my all-time favorites.

Sorry about that...I went off on a tangent. I haven't heard the new DMB yet, but I am sure I will buy the album whether I hear it or not.

Yeah, I liked that video quite a bit. One of his better ones, I thought.

i'll do that, thanks. i like some of daves stuff but i'm not a huge fan. i did give the new cd a listen and it's not too bad from what i've heard. i think the 1st single sucks though. his solo album was pretty good.

Yes. American Baby is by far my least favorite song on the album...

Sky, for: You might die trying

Sounds like in the tune of D and F.

-----------------

-----------------

-----------------

-----3--5--7---3

--5------------3

What do you thinK?

Sorry, I just saw this.

I don't have the album on me to compare, but the tabs seem alright. i don't guess dmbtabs has any of them up yet?

im in a classical guitar phase right now...working on a piece by Fernando Sor.

Anywho...how are you feeling about the album? It keeps growing on me with each listen.

Sorry about that...I went off on a tangent.  I haven't heard the new DMB yet, but I am sure I will buy the album whether I hear it or not.

Yeah, I liked that video quite a bit. One of his better ones, I thought.

That video got me up and out to but the CD! I didn't know it was available until I saw it. I really like it. A great "change up" from my "Van Halen!" :P

• 2 weeks later...
OK Sky, what's your impression of the new DMB album now after some time listening?

I like it a lot. I think a lot of the songs have a ton of live potential. It got a good 2-3 weeks of play in my car before I went back to something else. I think this year's tour will be a lot of fun!

My biggest complaint is the lyrics. They're definitely a step down. I'm not going to hold it against them, because I think the way they wrote this album had something to do with it. Plus, who says that every album has to be a lyrical masterpiece...

My biggest complaint is the lyrics. They're definitely a step down. I'm not going to hold it against them, because I think the way they wrote this album had something to do with it.  Plus, who says that every album has to be a lyrical masterpiece...

:o Who say's that every album has to be a lyrical masterpiece? Former Newcastle England's Warwick University English Professor Gordon Sumner certainly does, that's who! Of course you may not recognize him by his given name, because known worldwide as "Sting." Although he's gone solo since 1984, he was he was first the lead singer, bassist, and profound lyricist from the renown reggae/punk/rock band, "The Police."

Sting always insisted that his lyrics in each song "The Police" recorded had profound meaning for mankind within it, as this sample from the 1980 released album "Zenyatta Mondatta" clearly shows:

De do do do, de da da da,

is all I want to say to you.

their innocence will pull me through.

is all I want to say to you.

they're meaningless and all that's true.

Whoa... :blink: ...pretty heavy stuff, huh? :rolleyes:

Okay, seriously...I don't find the lyrics from "Some Devil" anything "less" than he's previously done with DMB, and I really like the story told in "Gravedigger." Especially in the video, which I give 4+1/2 out of 5 stars. (2 of those stars awarded simply on the fact that not one "crotch grab" is seen in the entire thing!) Of course I think that with Tim Reynolds playing with him on this solo album, it allows Dave to do slightly different types of songs than he would normally do inside the confines of the Dave Matthews Band "sound."

On a side note, he wasn't the first to recently release a solo work outside the DMB. Some Devil follows on the heels of DMB violinist Boyd Tinsley's solo album, "True Reflections." Has anyone heard this CD? I haven't even seen it in the stores!

DMCD14.jpg

I really like this guy's style. Of course I got hooked on unique "rock" violinists back in the '70's with the famous French electric (yes...he was the first to hang pickups on a violin!) violinist "Jean-Luc Ponty" The main reason I like these type of guys is because in the musical world, it's overly full of guitars and it's same old, and rapidly getting worn out sound, which is heard in song, after song, after song. Almost anything different seems like a breath of fresh air to me! It's not that I hate the guitar sound, I play a bit myself. But I also play banjo (quite well thank you) and a little mandolin too. I'd LOVE to learn the piano, but I just cannot seem to get it together with keyboards! :angry: Variety is truely the spice of life.

BTW, if you click on the link, you'll see Jean-Luc will be touring in 2005 (On June 22nd 2005, in Cleveland Heights, Ohio at Cain Park) with a special project called "The Trio," which is Jean-Luc Ponty, Stanley Clarke on Double Bass and Bela Fleck on 5 String Banjo. This fusion of music is the kind I find especially unique and entertaining. A virtual hurricane of fresh air! B)