Chris Henry: Just Potential?

TecmoFever

Here's what i like so far about Henry...we haven't heard boo from him...it looks like so far he is going to let his play do the talking...I know it's early, but in the off season we are all turning over every rock we can find...and we've already heard a lot from Odell.

The choices seem limited to a flat out bust or multiple versions of greatness that differ only in how classy the player might be. Considering the fact that Henry is a 3rd round pick who won't be expected to assume the primary or secondary WR role for any conceivable time period....where's the option to vote for solid pro?

Once again, f#ck Henry until he produces. Gimme Kevin Walter until somebody shows up who insists they are better.

did he kill your cat or somethin man?

what i like about chris henry is that he knows he's good, he is coachable (as marvin has decided) and he has chad johnson demanding greatness out of him and accepting nothing less. i'm sure y'all have heard that chad TOLD him he's going to that recieving camp in cali...didn't ask him...told him. and told him that he must be ready to produce from jump.

watching film of henry gives me wood...then to read interview transcripts about how eager he is to be great and to know that marvin spent a crap load of time gettin to know this guy before the draft have led me to believe this guy will be great. he reminds me a lot of cj85....

Hey, that's great. I ain't had cats since the last ones I had and, yes, they are all dead as far as I know.

The important thing here is why bother about a WR this year. If Chris Henry gets on the field, so be it, but until then, who the f#ck cares a rat's a$$ about Chris Henry. If he's there to step up if somebody craps out, then so be it and all hail him. Until then, who cares? He's a non-factor for 2005 and that's all that matters to me right now because the Bengals have sucked for a long time.

"The important thing here is why bother about a WR this year. If Chris Henry gets on the field, so be it, but until then, who the f#ck cares a rat's a$$ about Chris Henry. If he's there to step up if somebody craps out, then so be it and all hail him. Until then, who cares? He's a non-factor for 2005 and that's all that matters to me right now because the Bengals have sucked for a long time."

TJ-if TJ was a 1 year wonder.(not saying he is but he could be)

Warrick if he gets hurt

Kelly.w.-Squirrel dance

If we could get another person like chad on the field it would make our offense even stronger because if they double team both of them then our lesser receivers will be wide open.

where's the option to vote for solid pro?

Hear! Hear! We need some middle ground! You can edit your own poll if you want Tecmo. If it's a problem and you want to, let me know and I'll help you out. Your poll, your choice! B)

Because this is a discussion board for people to discuss Pollack, Thurman, Henry or any other Bengal. So quit telling people they can't ask for others opinions on players. If you don't like a player or have no opinion of valor, just say nothing. Move on and read the next post. Let the moderator comment on whether it is a good post.

where's the option to vote for solid pro?

Hear! Hear! We need some middle ground! You can edit your own poll if you want Tecmo. If it's a problem and you want to, let me know and I'll help you out. Your poll, your choice! B)

Yeah, I've got to admit that this wasn't my best poll ever. I do need some middle ground, so Billy, save this poll.

By the way, the reason I started this poll was because I kept seeing that huge picture of Henry in somebody's posts and started wondering to myself...

Because this is a discussion board for people to discuss Pollack, Thurman, Henry or any other Bengal. So quit telling people they can't ask for others opinions on players. If you don't like a player or have no opinion of valor, just say nothing. Move on and read the next post. Let the moderator comment on whether it is a good post.

I just added my own opinion :D Which remains unchanged.

As for opinions of valor, I am likely the wrong man for the job but here's a thought that seems more pressing to me for the Bengals to succeed this year: keeping their special teams in tact.

This time last year, that didn't seem as important IMO because roster spots for players who could both play a position and special teams (even if they were starters) seemed more relevant.

But after watching the special teams shut teams down last year w/ the exception of 2 or 3 gaffs, the value of the personnel on this unit became clear.

You want to ship out Cliff Russell for Tab Perry, fine. I like Russell and he showed he can produce at WR in the almost non-existent ops he got. But as a KR he just never did punch through.

But shipping out Kevin Walter for Chris Henry would put a dent in the special teams. Is Walter irreplaceable, no, but I'd don't see Chris Henry bringing the fire that Walter has got to the table on special teams.

IMO, right now for this team's chances for the playoffs in 2005, Chris Henry is no different this year than Chris Perry was last year: if he produces anything at all, fine. If nothing at all, that's fine too. The long-term success of Chris Henry is largely up to him but his potential impact this year on the roster bothers me.

The important thing here is why bother about a WR this year. If Chris Henry gets on the field, so be it, but until then, who the f#ck cares a rat's a$$ about Chris Henry. If he's there to step up if somebody craps out, then so be it and all hail him. Until then, who cares? He's a non-factor for 2005 and that's all that matters to me right now because the Bengals have sucked for a long time.

A response that's a little too snappy for my tastes, but I agree that Henry is likely to be put on ice for a season. If everyone stays healthy I'll be surprised if he catches more than 15-20 balls this year.

I don't care if Henry ever hits the field. Having him on the squad is good for the team because it is good for Chad Johnson. You learn so much by teaching, and Chad Johnson did a somewhat good job last year of curbing his off the field inspire the enemy antics (with the exception of Pepto Bowl). Now that he's being asked to help a guy who is remarkably like him, he will mature even faster.

I don't care if Henry ever hits the field. Having him on the squad is good for the team because it is good for Chad Johnson. You learn so much by teaching, and Chad Johnson did a somewhat good job last year of curbing his off the field inspire the enemy antics (with the exception of Pepto Bowl). Now that he's being asked to help a guy who is remarkably like him, he will mature even faster.

Excellent point!!

I believe you may be right -- having the responsibility of being a "role model" will help CJ and CH.

Russell's special teams contribution seemed minimal to me. Chris Henry has way too much potential for the practice squad. He would be taken faster than flies to sh#@. We should all hope that he will play above all expectations. Part of our problem IMO is there was not enough options at the receiver position.

Until TJ became a decent option last year it was death to the offense. Everyone knew it was gonna be Chad or nothing. That was the problem not Palmer's "development".

Guys, I cant tell you what a stud this kid has the potential to be. I watched him his whole career and can vouch for his playmaking capabilities.

It's insane to want to keep a Kevin Walter type player just because they have a little edge on special teams.

I can tell you this; the mold wasn't broken after CJ was made, because Henry came from the exact same one.

With a little mentoring from CJ and coach Lewis, Henry and CJ will stretch the field like no other two receivers in the game, allowing huge seasons for Rudi and themselves. All I'm saying is give the kid a chance and he will pay huge dividends.

I'm not saying to put Henry on the practice squad or to cut him to keep Kevin Walter.

What I'm saying is Walter and the special teams unity is jeopardized by attrition through the addition of Henry, who will obviously be on the 53-man and has a real shot to be the 3rd receiver on the team this year. If the Bengals only keep 6 WRs, Walter looks like he'll be gone if P-Dub and K-Dub both remain Bengals for one more year. Russell looks to be replaced by Perry.

I didn't mean for this to sound like I'm bashing the poll here. It's all good and well to venture into the future...but I'm less interested this year in how Bengals shape up in future plans because I'm more interested in this season and what the Bengals can do to maximize their chances to make a serious playoff bid. Have not felt this way for a long time and it's really looks to be happening this year.

But to speculate on Henry's future, I'd say he's the #2 WR (position wise) in 2006. So it's CHAD and Henry split wide and Housh in the slot with some variations there and incredible depth since Henry could take CHAD's spot and Housh take Henry's w/o missing a beat.

I thought the Henry picked capped a virtually ideal Day 1 this year. Henry was a much better pick than say Perry in 2004 where you had a similar situation of one skill position starter likely to be gone and another under a one-year deal for the upcoming season. Had they picked a WR in the 1st this year I'd have been less p#ssed than I was and still am by the Perry pick, which makes the Henry pick look even sweeter since he would've likely been a 1st rder next year.