Pollak will be mega-impact player.

walzav29

I think that he'll be the reason the Bengals win the Superbowl. He is an impact, high energy guy, and most importantly a play maker. He will bring in a high motor and a ferocious attitude. I think when all of the dust settles he will go down as the best defensive player the Bengals have ever had. You can look at the Yahoo.com college highlights he just made tremendous plays. I think Marvin has a vision for this team and Pollak is the final piece.

I agree that David Pollack should be an IMPACT PLAYER. He makes plays!! I like what he brings to the team

I'm not going to put the "winning the Super Bowl" on him. Clearly, he should be a big piece of that move -- but certainly, not the key piece of that puzzle.

IMHO we need the following:

- the team's defense to come together and start "shutting out" other teams.

- the new WRs need to catch on to the offensive scheme and help CJ with the critical BIG catches.

- the offensive line needs to really show how special they are and to be dominant -- and a replacement for Braham must play.

and most importantly

-- the Bengals MUST stay healthy.

(The positions where I believe they do NOT have enough proven, quality depth are OL, S, RB and DL.)

If Marvin didn't feel Frazier's style and his meshed, he was right to part company. But judging him just on his own, I thought Frazier did fine. Let's not forget he inherited a defense that was rock-bottom, 32nd out of 32, in points allowed. He didn't get a first-round pick in the two years he was here; had a defense stocked with an always-changing lineup of pre-Marvin leftovers, rehab projects from other teams, and second- and third-tier journeyman; and then last year lost Abdullah to injury before the season started, had Ratliff hurt for the majority of it, saw two starters (Webster and Williams) get knocked out early on, and saw various other players (O'Neal, Powell) miss significant playing time.

All things considered I think it's a minor miracle that the Bengals improved as much as they did (which admittedly was not enough).

As for Pollack, I think he'll be an impact player...but most likely not until 2006. Making the transition to the NFL and a new position at the same time is a big challenge, and I expect that we'll see him get beat, burnt, and look just plain lost at least as much as we see him make a big play.

If ML has a flw is it's his huge desire to give some guys a second chance or a first shot at the big time...Kim H, Nate W. , Deltha, Hardy, and Coach F was one of those. Most time he's right, sometimes he's wrong...with F he's really not much more than a position guy.

IMHO, Trey Wingo got it right when he said ...

"Pollack could be the defensive equivalent of Big Ben going to Pittsburgh last year.

A perfect fit and a perfect situation ..."

Can we sign him first, or should we avoid the rush and enshrine him in Canton immediately?

"Pollack could be the defensive equivalent of Big Ben going to Pittsburgh last year.

Can we sign him first, or should we avoid the rush and enshrine him in Canton immediately?

No doubt. Let's not forget that we drafted another "high motor" DE and put him at OLB not long ago...

http://www.iis-sports.com/draft/profile/wilson.html

Reinard Wilson, Florida State, DE

6-2, 249lbs

Wilson is a gifted athlete (450-pound bench press, 39.5-inch vertical leap, and 4.7 speed) with natural pass rushing skills. He has great quickness and power and can beat an offensive linemen with both. He gives 100 percent on every down and his intensity never falters. He was a first team AP All-American in 1996. Of note, Wilson scored the lowest of all athletes attending the combine in intelligence testing. Look for Wilson to go in the late first or early second round.

Everyone just loved him at the first camp, too...

http://www.cincypost.com/sports/1997/bengnt072897.html

Wilson fits right in at first NFL camp

By Todd Jones, Post staff reporter

GEORGETOWN, Ky. - Reinard Wilson, the Bengals' No. 1 draft pick, isn't staggering around his first NFL training camp in awe of anything. Instead, the rookie linebacker is gliding with the confidence of a proven veteran.

Wilson doesn't come across as cocky. He speaks in a polite, even tone and carries himself with a calm demeanor. But he doesn't doubt his ability to help the Bengals' defense.

''I'm coming along well,'' Wilson said. ''I feel I'm moving along pretty well for being new at the position. I feel like I'm still at Florida State. I never thought it was going to be hard.''

Bengals coaches are pleased with what Wilson has shown on and off the field. He was credited with one sack during the intrasquad scrimmage Saturday at Georgetown College.

''He's got a lot of work to do, but he's certainly willing to put the time into it,'' said linebackers coach Mark Duffner. ''He's making progress. He loves to play, first and foremost. He's enthusiastic when he plays. He's developed a real strong work ethic. That's helped him.''

Wilson played defensive end at Florida State, but the Bengals are using him at right outside linebacker. He's studying the defensive playbook - ''It seems like every minute,'' he said - to smooth his transition.

''It's pretty thick, about four inches,'' Wilson said of the playbook. ''I feel like I'm in school again with all six of my courses using one book. I'm a young guy and don't want to make too many mistakes. I want to be known as a great pass rusher. I want to get started off on the right foot.''

The Bengals have begun experimenting with putting Wilson at different spots in their 3-4 alignment. He's primarily lined up on the right side. But in some packages, Wilson is lining up in the middle of the defense.

''It gives the offense a different look,'' Wilson said. ''They know I'm not going to be on the right side every time. I've got good enough speed to do everything.''

And we all know the punchline...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/story?id=1541928

DE Reinard Wilson (1st round, No. 14)...has to be considered a disappointment as a first-round pick. Had his best season in 2000, recording nine sacks. However, in his six-year career, Wilson has just 24 sacks.

Here's hoping Pollack turns out better. :player:

Yea I would say sign him first ...

But maybe you could take that up with Trey Wingo.

I just happened to liked the quote ... B)