Brown's Winslow in accident (Topics Merged)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel dirty! I went to the Brown's website to see what their take was...

"Team statement on Kellen Winslow

May 2, 2005

Cleveland Browns TE Kellen Winslow was injured in a motorcycle accident Sunday in the Cleveland area.

Winslow has sustained some internal injuries, which are stable. There is also swelling in his right shoulder and knee. The extent of these injuries will not be known until further medical evaluation is completed after the swelling is reduced.

Winslow will remain at the Cleveland Clinic overnight. No timetable for his release has been determined. "

Rumor has it, the soldier will be given his second purple heart on the IR.

I just spoke to a customer of mine who is incarcerated.. uh I mean lives... in Cleveland. Apparently the TV station last night played a video from the parking lot surveillance system showing "The Chosen One" RACING around the parking lot, and doing wheelies and such.....

It's all BS. Don't you know he was set up. ;)

CBS Sportsline and Cleveland radio stations are reporting the

team fears Winslow tore his ACL and suffered tendon/ligiment

damage to his shoulder. He is also rumored to have broken

ribs and damaged his kidney.

Not too smart. I hope Cleveland cuts his sorry butt and

goes after the signing bonus.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nf...htm?POE=SPOISVA

Posted 5/4/2005 8:07 PM

Browns concerned about Winslow's knee

CLEVELAND (AP) — Kellen Winslow Jr.'s internal injuries from a motorcycle accident are improving, but the Cleveland Browns are concerned with damage to his right knee, the team said Wednesday. (Related story: Winslow hurt in accident)

Winslow was injured in an accident that sent him flying over the handlebars of his newly purchased motorcycle Sunday night.

The Browns issued a statement saying his knee will continue to be re-evaluated but declined to provide any specifics.

The 21-year-old tight end remains hospitalized at the Cleveland Clinic and a timetable for his release has not been determined.

The team also reported that Winslow is in good spirits. He has had a number of visitors over the last few days, including team president John Collins, general manager Phil Savage, coach Romeo Crennel and teammates.

Winslow's injuries are another setback for him and the struggling Browns. His rookie season ended when he broke his right leg during an onside kick in a Week 2 loss against Dallas. He lost a $5.3 million bonus last season because of the leg injury which was a a severe blow to Cleveland's offense.

With his leg still on the mend, Winslow purchased a sport bike last month and was learning how to ride it in a parking lot when he hit a curb. He complained of chest pains after the crash.

Winslow's use of a motorcycle may have violated standard NFL player contract language that prohibits players from engaging in dangerous activities. If so, Cleveland could require him to pay back a $4.4 million signing bonus he received in March.

The Browns have declined to comment on his contract.

Winslow held out last year before signing a $40 million contract — a record for a tight end — as the No. 6 pick in the NFL draft.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the standard NFL contract forbids players from taking part in any activity "which may involve a significant risk of personal injury."

Teams have the option of making contract language regarding dangerous activities more or less restrictive during negotiations with players, Aiello said. The Browns wouldn't release information about Winslow's contract.

There are a number of professional athletes who have violated contracts by getting hurt off the job.

In June 2003, Jay Williams of the Chicago Bulls crashed his recently bought motorcycle into a light pole, fracturing his pelvis, tearing knee ligaments and damaging nerves in his left leg. He hasn't played since.

The Bulls honored one year of Williams' contract even though he violated a standard clause, then waived him in February 2004 after reaching a settlement on the remaining two years. The buyout was reportedly worth about $3 million.

In 1994, Ron Gant was cut by the Atlanta Braves after he broke a leg in a motorcycle accident.

Aaron Boone was released by the New York Yankees before the 2004 season because he hurt a knee in a pickup basketball game.

Boone lost out on the majority of his $5.75 million, one-year contract because he violated language that prohibited basketball. He returned this season with the Cleveland Indians.

New coach Romeo Crennel said in March that he has big plans for Winslow in the offense. The team envisions a passing game built around Winslow and rookie wide receiver Braylon Edwards.

Winslow, the son of Hall of Famer Kellen Winslow, dubbed himself "The Chosen One" back in college and, during his introductory news conference with the Browns, said he expects to exceed the accomplishments of his father.

Winslow's ego and his fiery personality have led to some bad decisions in the past.

Following a loss in his final season at the University of Miami, Winslow lashed out at officials in a profanity-laced tirade that ended with him referring to football as war and himself as a soldier. He later apologized.

He made no apologies last season for knocking a Cleveland teammate to the ground during a non-contact drill. Winslow remarked that the Browns should develop more attitude and play with greater intensity.

kellentribute0062cj.jpg

Wondering what to do with the Hardy cap room? How about a free agent contract for the shrub?

Sorry, I heard the Ravens already signed the shrub to back up Kyle Boller and Jeff Blake at QB. The sad thing is, the shrub has a better QB rating.....

:o:lol::rolleyes: Oh MAN!! You guys are BRUTAL!! :P^_^

....keep it up! :ph34r:

The guy with the shrub pics?

He's auctioning off the actual shrub now,lol!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW

If I buy the thing, will somebody in Ohio pick up for me, transplant it to PBS?

Incidentally, I heard a radio report yesterday that KW2 broke a kneecap, has a hairline fracture where he broke his leg last year, has broken ribs and a punctured lung. The guy definitely screwed himself.

Will Winslow, like Carl Pickens, be immortalized with his own clause, the "Winslow Clause?" :lol:

Winslow's mishap could change pacts

Sunday, May 08, 2005

Tony Grossi

Plain Dealer Reporter

Since their rebirth, the Browns never included a specific "hazardous activities" clause in player contracts until the contract for Kellen Winslow Jr.

Now, it could become standard company policy for the club.

The clause explicitly prohibits motorcycling and six other activities that could involve "significant risk of personal injury and are non-football in nature."

The clause could cost Winslow close to $6 million in lost bonuses and salary if he is unable to play in 2005 as a result of injuries suffered in a motorcycle accident last week.

Although the standard NFL player contract contains a clause that prohibits players from engaging in activity that may involve a significant risk of injury, the Browns -- for some reason -- decided to include language that specifically outlaws motorcycling. The clause is stated nine times in Winslow's contract.

Winslow's deal was the first major order of business done by John Collins when he succeeded Carmen Policy as Browns president last year. Through a spokesman, Collins has declined to comment on Winslow's contract or accident.

If the Browns attempt to include the hazardous activities clause in the contract of 2005 No. 1 pick Braylon Edwards, it should not be a barrier to an agreement.

"I wouldn't be opposed to it," said Lamont Smith, Edwards' agent. "Because Braylon's not going to do that stuff [ride a motorcycle]."

"The clause is stated nine times in Winslow's contract."

How appropriate, that's once for every million dollar some sources claim he risks losing due to the wreck. I think the Browns should go after every penny...though I strongly doubt they will.

If I had any sympathy for the guy it evaporated after reading about his habit of doing wheelies on public streets despite his inexperience on bikes. In addition, the neighbors desription of what Winslow and pals were doing in the parking lot hardly describes riding lessons performed in a safe and open area.