Foxsports Bengals Draft Analysis

cHaD711Johnson

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3566872

DRAFT DISH: The team accomplished its goals of bolstering the defense and giving QB Carson Palmer more weapons and protection. With the quick 1-2 punch of OLB David Pollack and MLB Odell Thurman, the defense is nearly fixed. Pollack is a natural leader who will make an immediate impact with his nonstop motor and incredible desire. He likely will unseat SLB Kevin Hardy, and his versatility will allow him to be a pass-rushing left end in the nickel package. Thurman is a nasty hitter who is built to stop the run with his low center of gravity. An effective blitzer, he'll compete to be Landon Johnson's top backup. . . .

The team's need at center was addressed with unheralded Eric Ghiaciuc, who has the ability to start right away. OT Adam Kieft will learn behind starters LT Levi Jones and RT Willie Anderson. Giving troubled WR Chris Henry a chance is worth the risk because he's so talented. He can be a game-breaker if he matures. WR Tab Perry was a steal because of his size, speed and athleticism. He's capable of piling up yards after the catch and should beat out Cliff Russell as the kickoff returner.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS: The club must fill a big void with a big-hitting strong safety. Kim Herring, Anthony Mitchell and Kevin Kaesviharn are solid veterans, but they aren't the kind of enforcers needed to get big, bruising backs on the ground. The Bengals' failure to address this area was the only glaring error. Center is also a question mark because Rich Braham, 34, is unsigned and recovering from a broken bone in his leg. Ghiaciuc is talented, but the team needs a veteran, too.

I'm kinda surprised to see such a positive report because on Monday I saw a FoxSports article pegging Cincy at a C or C-. The reason cited was that they were taking such a chance with "character" (obviously referring to Henry and maybe (?) Thurman). I guess, even on Fox, opinions are like _________.

Really? Most people have us rated as the top 5 draft in the whole NFL. CBS gave us an A-, Mel Kiper rated us in the top five. I have seen nothing but good comments on the bengals draft.

I'm kinda surprised to see such a positive report because on Monday I saw a FoxSports article pegging Cincy at a C or C-. The reason cited was that they were taking such a chance with "character" (obviously referring to Henry and maybe (?) Thurman). I guess, even on Fox, opinions are like _________.

I saw that article as well, it's good to know that that was only one writer, and not all of foxsports.

Yeah, it stuck in my head because it was the only one I saw that was so negative. I also remember it said something like "Cincinnati continues to draft players with character issues". I was trying to figure out who else they could be talking about from recent drafts. Hell, were they referring to CD or Pickens? Talk about ancient history. The only other thing I could figure was they were taking a shot at CJ, but he's never had "character" issues -- only loudmouth WR issues, which are pretty tame. Plus, he's never said anything negative about the team. Some of these guys just have no clue. I guess I should be content with the fact that most see this as a good draft, but of course it's human nature to get PO'd about the negative.

The only other thing I could figure was they were taking a shot at CJ, but he's never had "character" issues -- only loudmouth WR issues, which are pretty tame. Plus, he's never said anything negative about the team.

I'd go on to say that Chad's antics are actually pretty positive. Other than one on field tantrum last year, I think everyone realizes he's a good guy just trying to have fun (unlike TO). Of course, sending another team pepto is asking for trouble, but I've always seen it as positive energy and something that's good for this team.

With the quick 1-2 punch of OLB David Pollack and MLB Odell Thurman, the defense is nearly fixed.

:huh:

My sentiments exactly...

See, things are not as gloomy from the outside...

As for the foxsports reference to continuing to draft character problem guys...maybe they are referrring to:

K-Wash and Weaterhsby, both of whom had some off-field issues trailing them when they were drafted. Before that Dillon. CJ. Mack. etc.

Dunno. I just think a line like that gives us some insight into how the Bengals are viewed nationally. Perhaps people on the outside looking in see the Bengals as a team who will take a chance in the draft on a guy. Over the years, they kinda have been, which is great, because a lot a good number of the "questionable character" guys have turned out to be gems for this franchise...

As for the foxsports reference to continuing to draft character problem guys...maybe they are referrring to:

K-Wash and Weaterhsby, both of whom had some off-field issues trailing them when they were drafted. Before that Dillon. CJ. Mack. etc.

Dunno. I just think a line like that gives us some insight into how the Bengals are viewed nationally. Perhaps people on the outside looking in see the Bengals as a team who will take a chance in the draft on a guy. Over the years, they kinda have been, which is great, because a lot a good number of the "questionable character" guys have turned out to be gems for this franchise...

I don't recall any character issue regarding Washington -- just concern that his neck injury was too serious. That was why he slipped in the draft. As for Weathersby, you are correct that there was initially concern that he had gang affiliations when he got shot, but that was soon completely disproved. He was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time on that one (story of his life it would now seem). Anyway, if that's the bad characters the Bengals are drafting I'm at a loss. If anything, the Bengals seem to go overboard to draft good characters that end up not being the greatest players.

I don't recall any character issue regarding Washington -- just concern that his neck injury was too serious. That was why he slipped in the draft. As for Weathersby, you are correct that there was initially concern that he had gang affiliations when he got shot, but that was soon completely disproved. He was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time on that one (story of his life it would now seem). Anyway, if that's the bad characters the Bengals are drafting I'm at a loss. If anything, the Bengals seem to go overboard to draft good characters that end up not being the greatest players.

I agree its no big deal, just hypothesizing about why someone would write that.

As for Washington, maybe its only because I live in TN and all Vols news here gets amplified, but there was some murmurings along those lines when he was at UT. Again, not a big deal, but might explain the line from the author.

In the final analysis, I only care if the guy can play football like a beast and steer clear of trouble now. The past is the past as far as I am concerned.

we aren't going to have any problems from henry. i watched him all year. the time he got ejected a rutgers player kicked him and he retaliated and of course you know what the say about that. second man always gets caught. he should have left the field without showing his ass, but worrying about chris henry shouldn't keep you up at night. his other problem in the gator bowl he got pissed because he was wide open and rasheed marshall couldn't get him the ball-sound familiar(cj in the dallas game)??? he just needs to grow up a little and i don't mean in a beat his girlfriends ass kind of way. great pick for a third round selection. :player:

The team's need at center was addressed with unheralded Eric Ghiaciuc, who has the ability to start right away.

I hadn't heard anybody say Ghiaciuc could start right away, so this is pretty exciting. Based on the posts over on the Wilkerson thread, you'd think this guy was some small school schlub who had never heard of the BCS.

I agree its no big deal, just hypothesizing about why someone would write that.

As for Washington, maybe its only because I live in TN and all Vols news here gets amplified, but there was some murmurings along those lines when he was at UT. Again, not a big deal, but might explain the line from the author.

In the final analysis, I only care if the guy can play football like a beast and steer clear of trouble now. The past is the past as far as I am concerned.

Kelley Washington was probably the biggest dumbass to be drafted that year.

Do some research, and see how rediculous this guy was in Tennessee.

"The Future" is a moron.

Oh yeah, he also is skipping out on the voluntary workouts right now as well.

See! Someone else remembers it too. It wasn't just Washington's injury that knocked him down.

Kelly Washington's teammates at Tennessee hated his guts.. Wonder if he gets along with any of his present teammates..( doubt it ) ..The guy is an ass...

Considering the fact that the Dayton Daily News reported that he hasn't shown up for the voluntary workouts, I imagine he isn't very well liked.