June 1st

chrishcovga

It's expected that Peter Warrick will either be released outright, or will be traded for a conditional pick.

As well, some of the other notable free agents will be released by that time as well, I gotta hope that we sign someone to backup or start at Strong Safety. I'm willing to give the defensive line a chance, WE definitely have enough players there, but I don't know if we have the quality there to be a dominant front four.

Chime in fellas, let's here what you think, Who do you guys know that will become available that we can start targeting ..??

Great, let's see the team sign some old washed up player that wants too much money. Good players hardly ever get cut anymore. The only type of signings would be role players and depth. and you don't sign vets for that you use the draft and undrafted free agents for that. I would like to see a strong safety come in, but the starter happens to have a super bowl ring and has played in a top defense before. Maybe they'll convert Miller to a strong safety, he has the speed and frame for it. Who knows? Oh wait, the professionals that run the team and know the players they have...

After this draft, I expect Hardy, Warrick, and at least one other WR/TE (Tony Stewart?) to get axed. Wish I was privy to all the contract info.

I really doubt Caleb could run at SS. He just does not play fast enough to handle picking up a WR across a zone or coming up for run support on an angle. Call me crazy.

Shazor must have really done nothing to impress people. Not even picked at all? Wow. Note to Earnest: When you know the draft is coming...work your ass off for a good 40, your paycheck/future depends on it. Sounds like a funny movie: Earnest Goes to Training Camp"

Bengals.com says a current CB may be an option at S but even they say size is an issue. Time will tell.

Very surprised we took no TE's...WTF...Noone can tell me they are happy with the production at tht position. F-it... just go 3 and 4 WR sets and let Carson deep-6 all year. How they gonna cover CJ, TJ, CH, KW, or a TP?

I want to hear Crennel, Billick and the spitting Cowher all say "You sank my battleship!?" Hahahahah!

I really doubt Caleb could run at SS. He just does not play fast enough to handle picking up a WR across a zone or coming up for run support on an angle. Call me crazy.

Shazor must have really done nothing to impress people. Not even picked at all? Wow. Note to Earnest: When you know the draft is coming...work your ass off for a good 40, your paycheck/future depends on it. Sounds like a funny movie: Earnest Goes to Training Camp"

I want to hear Crennel, Billick and the spitting Cowher all say "You sank my battleship!?" Hahahahah!

Yeah, I don't think Caleb Miller has the abilities to move to Strong Safety. I keep seeing the replay of him in the middle against the Eagles last year, and he didn't get a deep enough drop while we played Cover-2 and a Jeff Blake pass went right over his out-stretched fingers.

- Which is why I'm so glad we took O'Dell Thurman, a lot of Bengals are going to be very surprised at how well he plays passing lanes.

As for Shazor, I can only think that there has to be something else going on with him. Cause he ran a 4.63 in the 40. He had times from all over ranging from 4.63 - 4.78, so there was some cause for concern. But when I think of a strong safety, They play in the box more so that shouldn't really be that much of an issue. I know Marvin likes his guys inter-changeable, that's why I thought James Butler from Georgia Tech. might get a shot here, cause he's a 4.5 guy but that didn't work out either.

I'm hoping we already have the guy we want already on the roster, just please don't tell me it's Kevin Kaesviharn :lol::lol: !!

I checked over the FA list and no one really jumps out at you at the SS position. I did notice a couple of veteran TE's listed as FA's in Freddie Jones from Arizona and Chad Lewis in Philly. Either of those guys would be an upgrade, although it seems unlikely that they wouldn't be re-signed. Lewis could still be available if the Eagles were content to give L.J. Smith the featured role at TE. He's been a good pick up for them and offers more speed than Lewis has. What I like about Lewis is that he's a former Pro Bowler who can block and is savvy enough to still be able to get open. He's a great weapon to have in the red zone.

My "dream on pal" scenario would be for the Bengals to go after Ty Law and convince him to move to SS. That would really help the Bengals in a divison where they have to cover Todd Heap, Braylon Edwards, Heath Miller, Mark Clayton, Derick Mason, and Kellen Winslow if he pans out.

I would feel really good about the Bengals organization...and the team if they were to pull that one off.

I checked over the FA list and no one really jumps out at you at the SS position. I did notice a couple of veteran TE's listed as FA's in Freddie Jones from Arizona and Chad Lewis in Philly. Either of those guys would be an upgrade, although it seems unlikely that they wouldn't be re-signed. Lewis could still be available if the Eagles were content to give L.J. Smith the featured role at TE. He's been a good pick up for them and offers more speed than Lewis has. What I like about Lewis is that he's a former Pro Bowler who can block and is savvy enough to still be able to get open. He's a great weapon to have in the red zone.

My "dream on pal" scenario would be for the Bengals to go after Ty Law and convince him to move to SS. That would really help the Bengals in a divison where they have to cover Todd Heap, Braylon Edwards, Heath Miller, Mark Clayton, Derick Mason, and Kellen Winslow if he pans out.

I would feel really good about the Bengals organization...and the team if they were to pull that one off.

Freddie Jones signed with Carolina I believe. I have read a couple reports to this fact (I read them as early as April 20), but can't find any confirmation on NFL.com

I think Warrick doesn't get cut or released until training camp. I could see them asking him to renegotiate down from the 2.2 that he is due. They will also give him as much time as they can for him to heal...unless there is no chance for improvement at all.

I also don't think CMiller would play SS all year. However I can see him playing there against Pittsburgh and the Ravens. I think they did something like that a two years ago against the Ravens when Riall Johnson was the fourth LB in a 4-4 alignment. Technically, I guess he was the SS in that alignment. Anyway I think they could use him for that purpose but not all the time.

I am wondering about Kelly Washington's status as well. 2 more WR's drafted? Perhaps KDub could/should be converted to TE. I think this has to be the year that he shows something or he might be gone as well.

And as for Hardy and Webster, I think they will be gone during camp also.

Wookie im pretty sure Chad Lewis retired.

And we signed Safety Patrick Body, a solid signing IMO. Size, speed, athleticism, and production. He wasnt drafted mainly because he missed most of 04 with an injury.

Patrick Body

Position: Free Safety

College: Toledo

Height: 6-1

Weight: 201

Hometown: Pittsburgh, Pa.

Analysis | Injury Report | Agility | High School | Personal

OVERVIEW

Body is one of the fastest athletes in college football, boasting a 4.25 clocking in the 40-yard dash. The three-year starter at free safety began his collegiate career as a weakside outside linebacker, but the coaches felt his speed and range were more suited for the secondary.

Body was a standout defensive back and receiver at Scheley High School. He had 27 receptions for 757 yards and eight touchdowns as a senior, leading the team to its first City League championship in 49 years. As a free safety, he had 11 interceptions, three of which he ran back for touchdowns and also returned two kickoffs for scores. He was named first-team All-City League and chosen to the All-City Academic team. He also caught 18 balls for 414 yards and had seven interceptions on defense as a junior.

Body was a reserve weakside outside linebacker as a true freshman at Toledo in 2001. He recorded nine tackles that year and gained 42 yards on three kickoff returns. The speedy defender started the first six games of the 2002 campaign at weakside linebacker

Before moving to free safety, he ranked fourth on the team with 83 tackles (45 solos), a sack, five stops for losses, three fumble recoveries, two interceptions and three pass breakups.

Body started every game at free safety in 2003. He finished third on the squad with 76 tackles (52 solos). He caused three fumbles, batted away four passes and had three interceptions that year. Body then earned All-Mid American Conference first team honors in 2004. He led the team with a career-high 113 tackles (62 solos), adding a sack, 6½ stops behind the line of scrimmage, four forced fumbles, five pass breakups and two interceptions. He also caught a 46-yard pass on a fake punt.

In 48 games with the Rockets, Body started 38 times. He recorded 281 tackles (164 solos) with two sacks for minus-11 yards and 15½ stops for losses of 43 yards. He caused 10 fumbles and recovered one. Body gained 106 yards on seven interception returns and deflected 12 passes. He totaled 64 yards on four kickoff returns (16.0 avg.) and rushed four times for 75 yards. He also had one reception for a 46-yard gain.

ANALYSIS

Positives: Has a tall, slender frame with defined muscle tone in the chest and arms … Has outstanding straight-line speed, range and change-of-direction agility … Center-field type that excels playing the deep zone … Quick to step up vs. plays in front of him and is known for making cross field tackles … Good program player who works hard in the weight room and practices … Has the leaping ability to get to the ball at its highest point … Could also bring some value on offense as a receiver or ball carrier due to his quickness and experience there … Shows good explosion behind his tackles and, in 2004, showed marked improvement staying low in his pads and playing closer to the line to initiate, wrap and secure ball carriers … Takes good angles in pursuit and has the burst to chase down plays, whether playing deep or shallow … Has an effortless running style with an explosive closing burst … Shows a good feel for the crease while playing offense … Has learned the proper technique of positioning himself and lowering his shoulders to drive the opponent back … As a possible returner, he displays the burst to make the initial tacklers miss and the speed to easily break it into the open.

Negatives: While he's a physical tackler, he seems to have trouble anticipating the ball while staying tight with the receiver … Lacks deep coverage instincts and could be more suited for zone work at free safety, even though his speed would be beneficial as a cornerback … Slow to read and react to plays at times, especially when he plays too deep in the zone … Shows some hip tightness in his backpedal and looks awkward through transition … Lacks natural hands for the interception … Willing in run support, but spends too much time inspecting the action rather than initiating it when working inside the box.

INJURY REPORT

2002 -- Suffered from pharyngitis (defined as an infection or irritation of the pharynxand/or tonsils -- the etiology is usually infectious) in late September and was sick for two weeks, but did not miss any games.

2003 -- Sat out the Syracuse game after he hyper-extended the first toe on his right foot in the first quarter vs. Pittsburgh (Sept. 20).

2004 -- Left the Motor City Bowl vs. Connecticut in the second half when he broke a bone in his right arm.

AGILITY

Campus: 4.26 in the 40-yard dash … 325-pound bench press … Bench pressed 225 pounds 15 times … 790-pound leg press … Leg pressed 450 pounds 20 times … 4.1 20-yard shuttle … 11.76 60-yard shuttle … 7.05 three-cone drill … 42½-inch vertical jump … 10-foot-4 broad jump … 32¼-inch arm length … 8¾-inch hands … Right-handed.

Huddles Report...

Strengths

Patrick has very good size, strength and burst for his position. He is a good tackler and shows good leadership qualities. He is very good in a two deep zone defense. He does well when he’s brought up close to the line to help stop the run. At this point, he doesn’t show good man-to-man cover skills because of the system he plays in; however, something tells me with his athletic abilities and mental toughness along with good instincts, that this is not going to be a big problem.

Needs to Improve

Patrick’s cover skills and quality of opponents are the biggest question marks right now. He shows good mental toughness, but at the next level, it could be a different case.

Bottom Line

To be honest, Patrick reminds me of Rodney Harrison, but I’m just not sure he is as tough as Rodney. If he answers that question positively, then someone is going to get themselves a hell of a safety. Let me be the first to tell you I think he’s got it and the reason for him to be under the radar right now is because he broke his arm this year and hasn’t been on the field much. In fact, I have very little tape on this kid so I’m out on a limb with this profile. However, the tape I have and his numbers at his pro day make me think this kid is the real deal. On tape, the system Toledo uses keeps everything in front of him, but he is directing players and making plays sideline to sideline. He’s showing good instincts and play recognition. I feel he has first day talent that will be a second day pick because of the quality of his opponents and there is not much tape on him this year

Donovin Darius is still unhappy at Jacksonville ?

I would happily send them Peter Warrick for Darius...

And, relax everyone, I have no idea what the sal cap implications of such a deal would be, just musing that it would be nice to have him and that Jax might could use another receiver.

I for one am glad the Bengals didn't waste a pick on a TE. The only one that would have been an upgrade from this draft was Heath Miller (very weak TE draft this year), and that would have meant passing on Pollack. Sure our TE's are a 3-headed monster, and that is never as good as having a Todd Heap, Kellen Winslow, or Heath Miller (Dang, all those guys are in our division), but the fact is, we currently have the best WR core of any team in the NFL. Clearly the coaching staff saw other more relevant needs, and if they have been adequately addressed, look to next years draft. My bet is they take a TE next year early.

A lot of the TE problem is that Carson didn't check down to the TE very much. He outletted to FB a lot, and threw a lot of balls that he would've been better served to check down. It seems to me that 80% of the balls that were thrown the TE's ways were where the TE was the primary.

Schobel has certainly proven that he can catch and run. Stewart can sort of catch, sort of block. Kelly can block but is lacking in the passing game. It seems that to keep subbing TE's can A. show what you're doing and B. put a block TE on a passing down. Neither is really effective. You could put Schobel in as a H-back on 3rd down, but his blocking is the least of the 3. It seems that unless you had someone like Miller on your list, there was no tight that was a better catcher than Schobel and a better blocker than Kelly, then Stewart is our 3rd down TE.

Keep in mind even Miller has been suffering with the dreaded "sports hernia." That we know all too much about.

I think we fine at safety with Herring, Williams, Mitchell and Kaesviharn with Ratliff subbing some. Keep in mind that no position had more fluctuation for us last year than safety. Between Beckett's injuries, Herring's injuries, injuries to cb that forced Kaesviharn and Madieu to play some cb, there was never stability which is necessary because safeties and corners have to read each other's minds. All 4 of them are solid and versatile.

I disagree with you Rob about the FB check downs and our confidence in Safety.

JJ caught only 16 balls, compared to the 46 to our TE's. I would prefer to have Kenny Watson get the screen than Jeremi or a TE. Maybe Perry will have a use once (if) he heals. What makes me most annoyed about plays where the TE was primary, was it was a 3rd and 8 and the play goes for 7. Ugh!

As far as the S postion goes, Beckett was the hitter and he is now gone. They need someone to lay the wood. Mitchell, Herring are okay...Williams and KK roam at free. If I have to see KK be the first guy to hit Jamal Lewis in the middle one more time I'm going to eat my favoirte Bengal's hat. Need better talent at SS, a hitter. Check the Oregon State guy, Mitchell Mueseuwenwsomething, sounds like a tough guy.

I think Body may be an excellent nickel/dime zone man. If the speed is real, could take away the deep ball very effectively. I do not see a comparison to Harrison that others do. Harrison is bigger and a monster hitter, and not as fast as Body. Not quite a parallel, in my eyes.

Brat's offense requires the TE to block. We have a guy who can do that. Anything else is moot until we can sign a guy to produce from Tight End and change the offense to get him the ball.

I agree. Don't forget that last year was Palmer's first. I am sure that everything was max-protect especially early in the season.

Wookie im pretty sure Chad Lewis retired.

I hadn't heard anything about Lewis retiring...so I checked the Eagles page and he's on IR...no mention in their transactions of retirement. They signed another TE cause Lewis won't be able to run until June after his injury in the NFC Championship game. My thinking is that they aren't going to sign him, and if he doesn't retire he wouldn't be a bad pickup.

Freddie Jones has signed with Carolina...it wasn't updated on nfl.com's FA listing. He signed April 18th...it was on the Panther's page.

Interesting signing with Patrick Body...hopefully if he makes the squad they can work on his tackling and get him away from just being a center-field type safety.