Prisco gives us an A

Qc_Bengals

Cincinnati Bengals

Best pick: Second-round pick Odell Thurman is the best linebacker in the draft. If not for off-field issues, he would have been a high first-round pick. Thurman will be a star.

Questionable move: Third-round pick Chris Henry has first-round ability. At 6-4, this receiver can fly. He does have some off-field issues, but if the Bengals can control him, he will be a big-time player.

Steal: Keep an eye on sixth-round pick Tab Perry, a receiver. He had some decent days for the Bruins at UCLA.

Overall grade: A. Getting David Pollack, Thurman, and Henry with their first three picks makes this a heck of a draft.

Why are the fans the only one complaining? This was a great draft. Maybe some of us were in front of their computer too long. :P

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cincinnati Bengals

Best pick: Second-round pick Odell Thurman is the best linebacker in the draft. If not for off-field issues, he would have been a high first-round pick. Thurman will be a star.

Questionable move: Third-round pick Chris Henry has first-round ability. At 6-4, this receiver can fly. He does have some off-field issues, but if the Bengals can control him, he will be a big-time player.

Steal: Keep an eye on sixth-round pick Tab Perry, a receiver. He had some decent days for the Bruins at UCLA.

Overall grade: A. Getting David Pollack, Thurman, and Henry with their first three picks makes this a heck of a draft.

Why are the fans the only one complaining? This was a great draft. Maybe some of us were in front of their computer too long. :P

We're complaining because of the most simple thing... we are being graded on how well we did on day one...DUHHHHHHH

Why not get a complete draft like how the Ravens, and Steelers had, HELLO, they're the teams that finished ahead of us last year.. WE're trying to win the division, get into the playoffs, WIN THE SUPERBOWL !!

As it stands right now, we didn't do enough in the draft and free agency to move past either of them.

If Kyle Boller turns out to be a solid quarterback , now that he has weapons to throw to, then we'll be waiting another year to find a defense good enough to stop the run, and the pass .

AGAIN ! :player:

We're complaining because of the most simple thing... we are being graded on how well we did on day one...DUHHHHHHH

No Chris, you just complain because the Bengals didn't agree with your scouting report. You also harpooned the Bengals for all of thier picks last year because they didn't agree with your picks. I remember you bitching and moaning about every player the Bengals picked last year....Never mind that most of them came on strong by the end of the year. Besides, did you even read the whole comment posted? Prisco was talking about the player drafted in the 6th rd.

Too many people around here think they know more about football and football players than the people that actually do know the game and the players. The same thing happened last year, probably will happen next year. I mean really, some of the people on this board were begging the Bengals to draft players in the second round that ended up not even getting drafted. Sounds like 32 teams knew something you didn't.

No Chris, you just complain because the Bengals didn't agree with your scouting report. You also harpooned the Bengals for all of thier picks last year because they didn't agree with your picks. I remember you bitching and moaning about every player the Bengals picked last year....Never mind that most of them came on strong by the end of the year. Besides, did you even read the whole comment posted? Prisco was talking about the player drafted in the 6th rd.

Too many people around here think they know more about football and football players than the people that actually do know the game and the players. The same thing happened last year, probably will happen next year. I mean really, some of the people on this board were begging the Bengals to draft players in the second round that ended up not even getting drafted. Sounds like 32 teams knew something you didn't.

I agree. People think that just because the Bengals didn't take who they wanted them to take it was bad or "not complete." This was another great draft by a great coach and all this bitching will end come next October/November...hopefully even earlier than that. They said that Tab Perry was a stud daddy he just dropped because of his productivity. He had a new coach and only caught 22 balls, look at what he did earlier he led the PAC-10 in YPC. Anyways, I know the ol' cliche defense wins championships but we might put up 40 a game. :D In Marvin We Trust :player:

People think that just because the Bengals didn't take who they wanted them to take it was bad or "not complete." This was another great draft by a great coach and all this bitching will end come next October/November...hopefully even earlier than that.

My sentiments exactly. We have a draft room of people getting paid to scout players and make decisions. If any of us were good at that, we'd be the ones getting paid. Instead we post here and write in our blogs and put our trust in the powers that be to pick the right players.

I'm excited about our draft from top to bottom. These guys are going to come into a good situation and be given an opportunity to challenge for playing time. So what if we didn't take Shazor or Hawthorne? We only get to take 7 guys so somebody is bound to be left off the list. I'm happy to go to war with the 7 we got.

Wow you went from getting embarrased in the political debates to getting blasted here as well..

Stick to what you know, Lord of the Rings extras !!

First and Foremost go back to last years draft, and you'll see the same guys you think I blasted were all taken in the proper areas. Or were even at one time or another drafted as Bengals on one of my numerous mock drafts. - There's that thing called research again !

Chris Perry wasn't the best pick for us, I can weigh his value to what Steven Jackson and Kevin Jones did, but prior to that even happening, I told you guys back then, why pass on the Best ( highest graded running back in the draft ) to take the 3rd rated player at the position. Kevin Jones had over a thousand yards last year, and he was a better compliment to Rudi than Perry was.

Madieu and Ratliff, both were bengals on my mock drafts at different times. Just like I told you guys here that Chris Henry was seriously being targeted to come here, back in February, I told you guys the same about Madieu Williams last year. It's in black and white, go look it up, see there's that thing called research again.

Landon Johnson and Caleb Miller.. hmmmm nope I didn't have them as high picks for us, because I knew better linebackers were available. Landon Johnson did fine, and that's great, Caleb Miller lived up to expectations - too small and light in the ass to stay healthy. Two players I had rated higher than them both started last year, and both went in the 3rd and 4th rounds, Keyaron Fox, and Demorrio Williams.

- I also said we should take Darnell Dockett, he was a NFL rookie of the year.

- I also said Tommy Kelly, or Antwan Odom , or Chris Gamble, they all did just fine, but we struggled against the run, now didn't we..? We also lacked a pass rush, which Marvin said was a " priority" for this draft.

- See while you're so quick to find something wrong about something I said, you never take the time to see if I was right. I can't help people like you, you're too self-righteous. I don't have to be right about everything, All I say is, prove me wrong.

And I'll say it again, like I said last year, I hope I'm proven wrong, but GAME FILM DOESN'T LIE !, If there's someone better than you at the same position, well then OH well, that's life. Just like there are better draft scouts and draft analysts' better than I am, but I'm still weighing these players production versus where they were drafted.

I refuse to be a Bengal fan that says' " In Marvin we trust " . People are people, they can make mistakes, but till i'm proven wrong, I'm not going to say I'm wrong, just to suit your ego because I dare to question what my favorite team does on draft day.

Here's a clue, next time the draft rolls around, actually join us in the chat rooms as these picks are announced and we'll see who's right. Next time you want to debate about something you think you know about, stick to movies made on the rock you live on.

Ooh, I think I struck a nerve with the so called draft expert. You want to insult me? Take it off forum. You spend so much time doing research that when the actual draft get's here you always end up disappointed. I still think it's bloody funny that you think you know talent better than the guys that get paid to know it. and really, I would hope you could get it right some times Chris, cause you spend so much time on it sheesh, when th hell do you actually work? Cause you ain't getting paid for your talent scouting.

The fact of the matter is that even Mel Kiper "THE" draft expert doesn't know what is best for any given pro football team, because he has no way of knowing what the coaching staff is looking for in the future. I've heard a lot of talk about moving Landon Johnson to SS. Could be, and if so, that would have been something that no one but the coaching staff could have known before the draft.

Can people make mistakes? Sure, but that is what high risk/high reward picks are all about. The coaches and scouts spend countless hours finding guys who are going to fit into their system to do the things they want to do. So we can all sit here and complain about wanting so and so player at the so and so pick, but we are just a bunch of fans who sit here and only know as much as the coaching staff wants us to know - and sometimes they are flat lying so they won't give away their strategy.

I think our defense will be greatly improved in run stopping this year. We'll still be a bit weak at pass rushing, but stopping the run is what we need, and the team was playing much better by the end of the season, and that is without teh free agent and draft picks. So when it comes right down to it, if I was picking for the Bengals, I would have done stuff differently, but that is why I'm glad I'm not picking for the Bengals. I certainly couldn't have made the quick turnaround from laughing stock to real contender in the time Lewis did. Lets trust our coach, even if he does make a couple mistakes. Everyone does.

And in regard to the Chris Perry pick - get off the kids case. Comparing his numbers to Stephen Jackson and Kevin Jones is hardly fair. They weren't injured all season. If he flops again this year, then we can talk, but he was a rookie who didn't get a chance to show if he was a good pick yet. Have some patience, rather than moaning all day long.

Ooh, I think I struck a nerve with the so called draft expert. You want to insult me? Take it off forum. You spend so much time doing research that when the actual draft get's here you always end up disappointed.  I still think it's bloody funny that you think you know talent better than the guys that get paid to know it.  and really, I would hope you could get it right some times Chris, cause you spend so much time on it sheesh, when th hell do you actually work? Cause you ain't getting paid for your talent scouting.

You did strike a nerve, you're self-righteous. I personally can't stand people like you, and I don't have to take that off forum to say that.

But back to the point at hand... Prove me wrong !!

- you can spend all the time you want on semantics, and OH " Chris called me a name ", but the fact still remains, either add something of consequence or shut the f**k up.

No one is paying you for your opinion, either, but I can quote several people on this forum that thought I should be paid for all the information I provide here.

Tell you what Mr. I have all the answers; you do the draft ! Let's see you break down film. Let's see you take time out of that :lol: , busy life of yours to entertain fellow Bengal fans with viable information to team needs etc. etc.

Wait a minute, that would mean you would have to come down from that high-horse you sit on and join the fellow masses of Bengal fans. Tell you what..? How many Bengal fans on this board asked you for your opinion on the subject anyway..? How many N.F.L. teams have you had in correspondence to draftable players..? How much time are you willing to invest in this subject in the first place?

If the draft doesn't mean anything to you, then move on with your busy little life. I personally like the draft. I love the whole scouting process, I actually watched the Combine from begining to end, and then watched the re-runs. I taped the Senior Bowl practices, because it's enjoyable to me. See there's the difference between us, I have a passion for this, you don't, so stick to things you're passionate about, and when you find out what that is, let us know, and we'll support you in that venture like good common folk should.

B)

The fact of the matter is that even Mel Kiper "THE" draft expert doesn't know what is best for any given pro football team, because he has no way of knowing what the coaching staff is looking for in the future. I've heard a lot of talk about moving Landon Johnson to SS. Could be, and if so, that would have been something that no one but the coaching staff could have known before the draft.

Can people make mistakes? Sure, but that is what high risk/high reward picks are all about. The coaches and scouts spend countless hours finding guys who are going to fit into their system to do the things they want to do. So we can all sit here and complain about wanting so and so player at the so and so pick, but we are just a bunch of fans who sit here and only know as much as the coaching staff wants us to know - and sometimes they are flat lying so they won't give away their strategy.

I think our defense will be greatly improved in run stopping this year. We'll still be a bit weak at pass rushing, but stopping the run is what we need, and the team was playing much better by the end of the season, and that is without teh free agent and draft picks. So when it comes right down to it, if I was picking for the Bengals, I would have done stuff differently, but that is why I'm glad I'm not picking for the Bengals. I certainly couldn't have made the quick turnaround from laughing stock to real contender in the time Lewis did. Lets trust our coach, even if he does make a couple mistakes. Everyone does.

And in regard to the Chris Perry pick - get off the kids case. Comparing his numbers to Stephen Jackson and Kevin Jones is hardly fair. They weren't injured all season. If he flops again this year, then we can talk, but he was a rookie who didn't get a chance to show if he was a good pick yet. Have some patience, rather than moaning all day long.

I like this guy already :D

* I didn't blast the pick of Chris Perry, I blasted the fact that we took him over players I thought were better and were available. - If you look in the archives of last years mock draft I actually had Perry going to the Rams at # 24, which is where we were after the trade down with the Broncos, - but at the same time, I certainly didn't expect Steven Jackson to still be there.

Mind you this is all pre-draft '04. So when Jackson was there, I said " the pick needs to be Jackson or trade down, hey we did trade down, but then we took a running back just like Rudi' when the coaching staff kept telling everyone that they wanted to find a faster compliment to Rudi. Jackson was more of a power back, so I can see why we moved away from him, but Kevin Jones was still there after the trade down, and he's much faster than Jackson, or Perry. Either way, I said the true value of the Chris Perry pick would be weighed against the value of Stacy Andrews ( the 4th rounder we got from the trade with the Rams ). If Perry and Andrews both turned out to be fine players and starters, then Perry was a good pick. But if not and Perry busts out like former Michigan running backs, then they deserve all the foul potty mouthed comments we can come up with.. :lol:

As for the rest of this year's draft. Love Pollack, he was my number one overall rated player in this years' draft. - my list premiered at exactly 12:00 p.m. Saturday April 23rd, so no one, and I mean NO ONE can say that I copied it, or took it from some other web source. I also had O'Dell Thurman on that list. - I liked the athleticism of Chris Henry and told several people on this forum that the Bengals really like the kid two months ago. Eric (Guy-chek ) ^_^ was a very draftable player, But I didn't think we had to address Center in round 4. I wanted Anttaj Hawthorne,

And considering some of the comments made by some of Bengalszone.com's finest writers and members, I'm sure they will agree with me that maybe the "weed" thing really isn't all that bad !! But I don't want to call out any of our " Herbage-users " B)

I understand wanting Hawthorne. I wanted him too, and probably would have taken him there. But with the fact that he was taken so late, and by a team like the Raiders who welcomes players like Randy Moss, and were trying to get Ricky Williams a few months ago, I have to think that maybe Lewis and company (and seemingly every team in the NFL) knew something we didn't. So, would I have taken the players we did? Maybe not. I was looking at Pollack in the first round too, but didn't think he would be there.

As for C in the 4th. Braham is old enough to be the father of these new draft picks, and there was a need for depth there, as well as someone that be groomed for the future. Everyone knew Lewis was looking Center with that pick, so I can't understand complaining about it. Other than that, I guess I am in mild agreement with you.

Oh, and about Chris Perry. I read an interview with the RB coach, and he said that Perry was #1 on their RB board because of his ability to make people miss, and his receiving potential. So it wasn't a 100% speed pick, or you would be right. they wanted a receiving RB in the Marshall Faulk type of mold. I think we can all agree that Jackson and Jones both aren't that guy. Will Perry turn out? Only time will tell, but it certainly won't be a Ki-Jana Cater, Akili Smith, David Klingler type bust. You can only accomplish those types of picks with seemingly intentional incompentence.

Oh, and about Chris Perry. I read an interview with the RB coach, and he said that Perry was #1 on their RB board because of his ability to make people miss, and his receiving potential. So it wasn't a 100% speed pick, or you would be right. they wanted a receiving RB in the Marshall Faulk type of mold. I think we can all agree that Jackson and Jones both aren't that guy. Will Perry turn out? Only time will tell, but it certainly won't be a Ki-Jana Cater, Akili Smith, David Klingler type bust. You can only accomplish those types of picks with seemingly intentional incompentence.

I knew Perry had exceptional receiving talents, and that Kevin Jones would have to be coached up to do that , which he actually did quite well for the Lions, but that's why Steven Jackson made so much sense for us.

He had plenty of catches at Oregon State, I'm just not sure why they thought Perry was rated higher than Jackson.

* Most of us here thought, Mike Brown broke into the War room and couldn't be wrestled away from the phones before he got the call in to New York.

Next year We have a plan... A very good plan, to make sure it never happens again... !!!!

OOOOOOOHHEEEAAhHEHEEH AAAA Hhaaa haa --- suppose to be an evil laugh. ^_^

Chris, you have a lot of insight into the draft and you spend a lot of time researching the players available. You are the Mel Kiper of the Bengalszone forum. Every fan has the right to express an opinion about what their team does in the draft. I like the fact that you continue to say that you hope the players prove you wrong...cause you are a Bengals fan and you want to see the team do well.

Other Bengals' fans are going to disagree with you...and me most likely...but everyone has their own way of looking at things and many people are so sick of the negativity that follows the team around that they don't want to hear that the team may have done something wrong, or blown an oportunity. This causes them to react emotionally and lash out.

Whats done is done, the Bengals have their guys and the coaches seem happy and ready to get to work. The concensus with the ESPN crew is that the Bengals had a good draft and that the team could really contend this year. This is almost unheard of for the Bengals, and I for one am happy to hear it.

My opinion for the draft: I like the pick of Pollack in the first round. I watched him play a couple of times during his time at Georgia and I was always impressed. I think he'll be a fine addition. The only other player I really was hoping the Bengals might take in that spot was Shawn Merriman and he was gone 2 picks before that.

I really like the pick of Odell Thurman in the 2nd round...I see him getting more playing time later in the season even though I'm one of the few on here who don't think that Landon Johnson will see time at SS. Johnson played well last year, could be better this year, but I think Odell will still be getting his share of playing time.

I was surprised to see the Bengals take a WR with the 3rd pick. I like Henry's potential...but wonder what the depth chart will look like after camp. Will he still be there and will he be content to be a role player for a while. It took CJ a while to get into the line-up everyday but it was worth the wait. I really would have liked to see the Bengals stay with defense in the 3rd round but I really didn't see a guy sitting there that I though we had to have.

I'll say this about the rest of the picks. It was good to see the Bengals add depth at Center. Wilkerson or Brown would have been nice in this spot but neither of those guys established themselves as the must-have pick. Depth at tackle is always a plus, Keift is huge and could develop into the replacement for Big Willy down the road. Taking another WR in the 6th shocked me. The guys sounds like he's a talent and if he can help on special teams right away then good pick. If not, then where was the defensive player??? 7th pick went back to D...always good to have another prospect at DE...and who doesn't like having a Samoan D-lineman on the squad??

As far as anyone picked below the 4th...they are all going to be projects. You don't find a Tom Bady but once a decade or so. You look at the 1st 4 rounds to make your overall evaluation and the Bengals did fine. I was watching the Steeler's, Raven's, and Brown's picks and I didn't see a draft from either one of them that outshine's the Bengal's. And, as far as drafting to compete against those teams...aside from the 2 Defensive players in rounds 1 and 2 I don't know that there was any 1 guy the Bengals passed on that would have made a difference next year. As far as Hawthorne was concerned I was under the impression that he was an average DT...might not have beaten Mathias Askew for a job on the Bengals roster, and is one STUPID ASS for smoking up a few days before he knew he was going to be tested at the combine. Let him go hang with Sapp...good riddance.

Last year I was disappointed with the 1st round pick and that was about it. I thought that trading down and letting Jackson and Jones go by only to pick a RB was odd, and not very well thought out. I was of the opinion that they were set to take a DT or something and they draft Perry. Hopefully it doesn't end the way Akili Smith's career ended in Cincy. Hopefully he proves ML right for taking him.

IMO I think the Bengals had a great draft. Everyone knows that the first 4 picks were very good. Picking up Keift was a great pick as well for a couple of reasons.

1: He can play quite a few different positions

2: You need chemistry on the line and by drafting him with his college teamate reassures that

Tab Perry will be someone that can come in and definitely help right away on special teams. He's athletic, big, and would have been picked higher if playing his junior year.

As much as I would like to see Munoz come in here and play for the Bengals, he was hurt. Everyone could see him missing out on the draft because of this. I think that he will be a shoe in to come in FA anyway

Like I said before this is my opinion.

First of all, to those who claim they're making mistakes, where are these mistakes?

Look Chrish, you were lobbying for Odell Thurman, we got him.

You also made mention of Chris Henry, we also got him.

WHat the problem is?

I think that's stupid for ripping the team because they 'picked players too early'.

Oh, ok, I suppose that they wait until the third round or later, and risk missing out on them, when someone they really want is on the board now?

FOR WHAT, TO SAVE A FEW DOLLARS?!?

Yeah, they didn't get Justin Tuck. He was considered a steal too.

Sorry about that.

Again, if we had 11 draft pikcs to play around with like we did last year, maybe some more of your guys would have made the team, or maybe not.

Look, I don't know squat about College Football. I don't watch tape, so I really can't sit here and fume about these players.

But I know that Chrish and Billy were the main guys throwing hissy fits last year because of our draft picks.

So answer this Chrish, if you were in the War Room and you were overruled and outvoted on a player, would you cop an attitude?

Do yall even listen to what the coaching staff says?

(not talking to anyone in particular here)

They're happy with their DT's....I don't know what more I can say about that.

They went out and got two sure tackling LB's with our first two picks, and got Tab Perry who is physical and will return kicks hopefully a LOT better than Cliff Russell did.

We didn't pick a kicker, or a QB with our first pick, so whats the fuss about?

I would think that after we found gems with 'too high' Landon Johnson and Madieu, you'd give Coach Lewis a little more slack.

I guess theres just no pleasing some people.

Fellas, a couple of points.

Any draft grades being given out right now are purely for entertainment purposes. No one -- not me, chrish, Mel, Prisco, anybody -- knows how all these guys will turn out. And we won't for a good 3 years. Oh, we can speculate (in other words, guess) but I think we all know just how widely off the mark that speculation can be, right?

To the point that's been made about the Bengals taking some players while other, more highly-rated players at the same position are still on the board...well, this has been a staple of Bengals' drafts in the Marvin era. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Jeremi Johnson, Chris Perry, Madieu Williams, Landon Johnson, and Caleb Miller all fall in that category. Madieu and Landon appeared ticketed for stardom; Johnson, Perry and Miller have all had their struggles.

Bottom line: sometimes the pre-draft rankings are right, sometimes they're wrong. No doubt some of out "reaches" this year will pan out, while others won't. Happens every year.

For my part, I have to agree with chrish in that I, too, don't believe the Bengals have done enough to bolster the defense, either in FA or the draft. I do believe that they have improved it...just not enough. But let's bring on camp and preseason and see how things shake out. Maybe they'll surprise me. Hasn't ever happened before, but there's a first time for everything, right? :player:

I give Bengals a solid B- just because of the great picks on Day 1. Pollack and Thurman are going to be immediately starters so you grabbed 2 nice players that can contribute this year. Chris Henry is going to be a player, who you can bring along slowly and eventually use him as a 3rd WR.

The other players you got on day 2 are questionable. Thsi draft could end up even being an A because we need to see how the Day 2 guys pan out.

Nice job Bengals! :D

Once again, in defense of Chris Perry...

First of all, he was the highest guy on their board, so it made a lot of sense to trade down and get an extra pick and still manage to get the guy they were going to take anyway. This was actually proven to be true, because if you remember, the Bengals took Perry four picks before Jones was taken. They obviouslty wanted him more than Jones, and everyone knew that the Rams were trading up for Jackson, so if the Bengals liked him more, they certainly wouldn't have traded their pick.

Secondly, even if you didn't like the pick at the time, Perry's production last year in no way proves you right. He's been injured, and hasn't gotten a chance. If he gets healthy, and actually gets some playing time and is just awful, then we can talk about a bad pick... but we just don't know yet.

Lastly, why are we still talking about last years #1 pick? We have a new draft to complain about. The offense is stacked now, and the defense looks to be on the rise, so now that the draft is over, let's stop complaining about who we didn't get. It's not like we took Aaron Rogers. We got some good players who have a chance to make us better this year, and with our schedule, probably make the playoffs.

Fellas, a couple of points.

Any draft grades being given out right now are purely for entertainment purposes. No one -- not me, chrish, Mel, Prisco, anybody -- knows how all these guys will turn out. And we won't for a good 3 years. Oh, we can speculate (in other words, guess) but I think we all know just how widely off the mark that speculation can be, right?

To the point that's been made about the Bengals taking some players while other, more highly-rated players at the same position are still on the board...well, this has been a staple of Bengals' drafts in the Marvin era. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Jeremi Johnson, Chris Perry, Madieu Williams, Landon Johnson, and Caleb Miller all fall in that category. Madieu and Landon appeared ticketed for stardom; Johnson, Perry and Miller have all had their struggles.

Bottom line: sometimes the pre-draft rankings are right, sometimes they're wrong. No doubt some of out "reaches" this year will pan out, while others won't. Happens every year.

For my part, I have to agree with chrish in that I, too, don't believe the Bengals have done enough to bolster the defense, either in FA or the draft. I do believe that they have improved it...just not enough. But let's bring on camp and preseason and see how things shake out. Maybe they'll surprise me. Hasn't ever happened before, but there's a first time for everything, right? :player:

Joisey, of course it's early for grades. Always is.

That said, it's nice to be on the right side of the grades. There were many drafts in the past that the buzz in the days afterwards nationally added to the climate of sadness and depression that would settle over us as a fanbased right about now.

Nice to continue to see a little different buzz continue.