Raiders TE Jolley Traded To Jets For 1st Round Pik

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor..._len&id=2042190

This after Buchanon went to the Texans last night for an additional 2nd rounder for the Raiders, who used the lower of the two 2nd round selections they had and included it in the Jets trade for Jolley.

These were trades made by the coaching staff - I would say morons - for falling out of favor with them.

To trade two of your youngest, best players (Jolley had over 900 yds. receiving last year and is only 26) for low round first and 2nd round picks seems a bit crazy to me, despite the Moss pick-up.

To trade two of your youngest, best players (Jolley had over 900 yds. receiving last year and is only 26) for low round first and 2nd round picks seems a bit crazy to me, despite the Moss pick-up.

Jolley had a bit more than 300 yards receiving last year...I think you have his career stats there...

I just thought it was a little odd because now the jets don't have a notable blocking TE to pave the way for Martin. Between that and letting Lamont Jordan go, I think their running game is taking some steps back.

Jolley had a bit more than 300 yards receiving last year...I think you have his career stats there...

I just thought it was a little odd because now the jets don't have a notable blocking TE to pave the way for Martin. Between that and letting Lamont Jordan go, I think their running game is taking some steps back.

Heimerdinger losves having multiple receiving TEs so a guy like Jolley was a must. Baker has actually turned into more of a blocker than receiver to be honest. Essentially, w/ the value of the draft chart, the Jets valued Jolley as a high 3rd rounder which I think is pretty fair. I think the positive for NY is that pick 26 is nowhere's land (as you guys found out last year a bit). 1st round talent is usually only 15 to 20 deep and than there is a drop and usually a grouping of 30 or so that fit in to 2nd rounders...but at 26, you still pay them as 1st rounders. In fact bradway said this year they only have graded 17 1st rounders (you guys just made it). Clearly this draft becomes more boring for Jets fans but as for the next few seasons, I feel its a positive for NY.

Well, that makes more sense, and I did get that confused.

That said, I'm always a fan of keeping proven players unless they're "that" much of a problem and ask for a trade etc..., versus relying on draftees to fill immediate needs...something the Bengals learned a hard lesson in during the 90's (Klingler, Wilkinson, Carter, Alfred Williams, Charles Fischer, Artrell Hawkins, Perry et al...,).

Am I crazy, or do you think Trading a 1st round pick for a mediocre tight end, a second round pick, and a 6th round pick (the late 6th for an early 7th is practically a moot point) is a bit much?

Depends, big thing. I think Jolley is more than mediocre although his stats the last couple of years may indicate that. But he is a very talnted player who was a 2nd rounder just 3 years ago and had a stud rookie year. He was much better in the Calahan style offense than Norv and its hard to judge any of the Raiders in the last 2 years. . As for generalizing the first rounder, the 5 th pick would be too much as would the 10th, the 15th, and probably even the 20th. The 26th, though is no-mans land. Picks 24-32 are pretty much the worst spots in the entire draft in terms of value. There is not a whole lot of difference b/w 25 and 45, especially in this draft. The Jets could still get a pretty decent CB at 47 and have essentially gotten a TE and CB for that 26th pick not to mention an extra 2nd day pick.