Guys Who Need to Step Up in 05'

Section 310

The following are guys who, in my opinion, need to step up to the plate and show they can help this team make the playoffs....

1. Chris Perry--Imagine if he could evolve into a legimate James Brooks-type guy out of the backfield. That would provide a nice compliment to Rudi.

2. Kelly Washington--Stop dancing and start producing. With Warrick's injury the door is open wide for him to become a legitimate star. Last year he was losing reps to guys like Cliff Russell....he should also be embarrassed the team is talking about drafting another WR.

3. Matthias Askew--Some draftniks said if he played another year at MSU he would have been a 1st round pick. I want to see him steal a job from Robinson, Thorton or Moore.

4. S. Andrews-- All we know so far is the guy is big as a house and can throw a hammer. It would be nice to know that he is ready to step in should Jones or Anderson go down.

5. Jeremi Johnson-- Last year he showed up out of shape and was not as effective as his rookie year. It would be nice to see a dedicated JJ ready to go from day 1. I think if he comes in fat again, he will be looking for work.

I would give an honorable mention to Abdullah and Webster. Lewis was high on both of these guys during camp last year. Hopefully the injuries are behind them.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My list, in no particular order of importance

1) Langston Moore

Of the 4 young DTs on the roster, he's the one who has shown some promise thus far in the 8 starts he had after Tony Williams went down. Ben Wilkerson (one of the top projected centers in this year's draft) described Langston as one of the hardest to block DTs he ever faced. I'd like to see his development continue, as I feel he could be a major, major force against the run

2) Robert Geathers

We saw flashes of his edge rushing late last year, and like Moore, has a chance to emerge as a solid starter in the last year of Justin Smith's existing contract.

3) One TE. Any of them.

It'd be nice to see one of them pull away from the pack as an every down guy.

4) OG Eric Steinbach

After an injury-marred 2004, I look for this guy to return to his all-rookie form in 2005.

5) Keiwan Ratliff

I look for this promising 1st year player to emerge as a startign CB by the end of 2005

6) *rookie draft pick at Center*

This guy just about HAS to start by the end of 2005, with the much respected Rich Braham on his last legs and Larry Moore not seen as a real answer.

7) Landon Johnson

He finished the year fairly strong at MLB. Can he do it all year long? He might have to.....

Five guys who need to step up? let's see...

1. Carson Palmer. We still live or die by this guy. He needs to put in a full year, no sophomore slump, keep getting better and cutting down on the mistakes (read: picks).

2. Rudi Johnson. The other guy we live and die by. Yeah, he got a boatload of yards last year but he also choked way too many times in key short yardage situations. Time to show you were worth $25 million.

3. Eric Steinbach. Ow my arm. OK, it's better now, You need to get back to your rookie season form. For why, see 1. and 2. above.

4. Levi Jones. All right Mr. Mud in Mel Kiper's Eye, let's get down to it. No more servicable, I want elite.

5. John Thornton. Shut up and play.

Rudi Johnson - Now that hes being paid like a starter, he better start performing like one.

Yeah, how'd he end up with that big contract anyway? Oh, didn't he break the other guy's record or something. Damm he must be lucky.

Marvin Lewis.

I love the guy but he has several things to prove. Here are a few of mine along with some general points about the team.

1. Was resigning Rudi and TJ the right thing to do?

2. Is the lack of outside FA's going to haunt them?

3. Is Chuck Breshnahan the guy?

4. Will the alternate camp schedule be beneficial?

5. How many of Marvin's picks (2003 and even 2004) will get

bumped by the new draft picks. At some point some of Marvin's guys

will be cut.

6. Is there something brewing for draft day?

7. Will there be anyone available after June 1 (see Darryl Gardner)?

8. Can this team stop the run consistently?

9. He has gotten us out of the "Pit of Dispair". However, can he take them to the next level?

I'd add Brian Simmons in that he needs to get to the next level. He's a solid player, but not the game-breaker many -- including myself -- expected.

thats some bulls**t. he was excellent when he had talent around him. he hasnt had a set trio since spikes left and he still has been more productive than our other LB's regardless.

I'd add Brian Simmons in that he needs to get to the next level.  He's a solid player, but not the game-breaker many -- including myself -- expected.

thats some bulls**t. he was excellent when he had talent around him. he hasnt had a set trio since spikes left and he still has been more productive than our other LB's regardless.

True. Now it's time for him to step up to the next level and make the player around him better, not the other way around. Especially with the question marks at that position going into 2005.

Rudi Johnson - Now that hes being paid like a starter, he better start performing like one.

C'mon now.

His rushing skills are unquestioned.

He does need to hit the jugs machine though.

what are you talking about. his rushing skills are questioned cuz he makes too many mistakes in the backfield. i am still shocked how blind some of u are to his ability...i dont know how many times i wanted to throw my tv out a window when rudi had a huge hole and couldnt make a decision so he missed it.