Sweep

R-U-D-I

Wire-to-Wire? Oooh. :o Are you trying to invoke memories of that incredible Marge Schott owned, Lou Pinella led, 1990 World Series team already? I'm as happy about the sweep against the Mets as the next Reds fan, but I think I'll sit back and applaud the wins as they come until I'm sure they can sustain doing so.

I shot my mouth off about the Reds right before the All Star break last year, and their collapse had me eating major crow! Check back with me in early August. :rolleyes:

DreAs a sidenote: Marty said the last time the Reds went 3-0 out of the gate was 1990 -- so wire-to-wire could have a sequel.

Okay, give me a few minutes to root around in the cellar...know those geeky Chris Sabo goggles are around here someplace... :lol:

Bring on the 'stros! Who's afraid of the big bad Roger...?

Sweep puts Reds first in Central

Starter Harang sharp; Team's first 3-0 start since 1990

CINCINNATI -- No late-game heroics or clutch home runs were needed from the Reds as they looked to sweep the Mets on Thursday afternoon.

With Aaron Harang mowing through the Mets order, a big finish wasn't necessary in a cool 6-1 victory in front of 16,048 at Great American Ball Park.

Instead, the Reds received a big start from the right-handed Harang, who was stellar over the course of 6 1/3 innings, allowing just one hit and three walks while striking out five. His only enemy was a high pitch count, which eventually drove him out of the game after he threw 96 pitches, 61 of which were for strikes.

Harang (1-0) left with a 3-0 lead the Reds had built up against left-hander Kazuhisa Ishii. The home team scored two runs off Ishii in the first, one of which was unearned, and added another in the second on Wily Mo Pena's leadoff home run.

The Reds added to their lead against Ishii (0-1) with a three-run seventh, in which pinch-hitter D'Angelo Jimenez hit a two-run double and Ryan Freel followed with an RBI single to make the score 6-0.

That was enough for the Reds to cruise to their first 3-0 start since the 1990 team began the year 9-0 en route to a World Series championship.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...t=.jsp&c_id=cin

woot.gif

More fun facts courtesy of AP...

The last time the Mets started this badly, Casey Stengel was calling the shots.

Ouch.

The Mets grabbed offseason headlines with their high-priced overhaul, committing $172 million to Pedro Martinez and Carlos Beltran. Their $105 million payroll is the NL's largest and ranks third overall, trailing only the Yankees and Red Sox.

Oh, rub it in, rub it in! :lol: I have to go into NY tomorrow; can't wait to read the sports sections! :lol:

And in addition to the whole 3-0, 1990 thing...

The last time they swept the Mets at home was 1995, also a noteworthy year -- the last time Cincinnati reached the playoffs.

Let's go Reds!

Dream what?  It's happening brother.  We just took out Pedro, Glavine, and the Mets "potent" lineup.  Our starting pitching is come out solid.

As a sidenote: Marty said the last time the Reds went 3-0 out of the gate was 1990 -- so wire-to-wire could have a sequel.

For an encore, on Friday we get to face The Rocket and the Astros. That's some pretty tough pitching to be facing back to back and right out of the gate.

'90 Reds went 9 n 0. Going to be tough to duplicate, but man wouldn't that be great ??? B)

The Mets grabbed offseason headlines with their high-priced overhaul, committing $172 million to Pedro Martinez and Carlos Beltran. Their $105 million payroll is the NL's largest and ranks third overall, trailing only the Yankees and Red Sox.

Oh, rub it in, rub it in! :lol: I have to go into NY tomorrow; can't wait to read the sports sections! :lol:

If you see any especially good ones while in New York, be sure to share them with us here! I know how brutal the New York press can be on their faltering teams. ^_^