Matt Jones (Merged Topics)

Another Eric Crouch experiment?????? No thanks.

Completely disagree. This guy is so far removed from Crouch it's not funny.

Start with this...Jones is 6'6" 242 pounds and turned in unofficial times at the combine of 4.41 and 4.37. Now, even if you add on a .5 or so to those times, he was simply effin flying.

On top of that, they showed footage of him working as a WR at the Senior Bowl and he made a few plays on some of the drills that were just flat nasty.

I personally think he could be a devastating receiving TE, although I have lost several arguments with people who just don't think he will ever block enough to make that work. So, if a WR is his lot, I think he can be damn good.

A parallel? Not Crouch. Try Drew Bennett of the Titans. Former QB in college, naturally gifted, apprentices for a few years in NFL and then has a coming out party for TN last year with 80 catches and 1247 yards. Bennett is tall too...6'4" I believe, with speed.

I think Jones can and will be a devasting player in the NFL at some point, and the Combine stuff should have moved him with a bullet into the 3rd or maybe even 2nd round for someone.

I don't know, this guy is a hell of an athlete and I think has the possibility to be a probewl tight end

Forget Barry Bonds, I want to know how a 6'6 242 lb. WR/QB/TE runs several sub 4.4's in the '40 yard dash !

If he's there in round 3, I'd take the risk of drafting him, and moving him to Tight End in a heartbeat. Plus, He could be our Emergency quarterback freeing up another roster spot too !

* Bengal coaches have been quoted as saying that Heath Miller isn't an impressive athlete. He doesn't have the ability to run away from anyone, and is just an average blocker.

If Matt Jones really ran a 4.37, you could add 10 lbs. to that guy and he'd be an all Pro as long as he stays healthy.

* Bengal coaches have been quoted as saying that Heath Miller isn't an impressive athlete. He doesn't have the ability to run away from anyone, and is just an average blocker.

Huh ?

From Bengals.com ...

“I don’t know if he can get down the field and separate and stretch it,” said Bengals tight ends coach Jon Hayes, who in one sentence has isolated the debate on Miller. “I haven’t seen it yet. Since he’s not going to be working out here, I’m going to have to wait to see how he does in his workout.”

But Hayes and many with the Bengals like enough what Miller did in three seasons at Virginia to give him a long look. He did catch 20 touchdown passes and caught nearly 140 balls in becoming the most prolific tight end in ACC history. As a sophomore, he led all tight ends in the country with an ACC-record 70 catches and 835 yards.

“He’s got a good feel for the game,” Hayes said. “He does a nice job feeling his way around zones and finding ways to make difficult catches. I know this. He’s a solid player.”

But whether that’s good enough to spend a first-round pick on a position that hasn’t received a lot of play lately in the Cincinnati offense, that’s another question. Offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski, who relies on versatility to hide tendencies in his different packages, likes the ways Miller can be used.

“He doesn’t have exceptional speed. He’s kind of a prototype,” Bratkowski said. “He’s a good blocker and a good pass receiver. He’s not heavy in the passing game and light on the running side. You like those kind of guys.”

I think Jones can and will be a devasting player in the NFL at some point, and the Combine stuff should have moved him with a bullet into the 3rd or maybe even 2nd round for someone.

That's my only potential problem with the idea of adding Jones...that his projected draft cost has caught up to his potential. I'd sweat major bullets if this team nabbed Jones in the mid 2nd or 3rd rounds by passing on more proven prospects who play defined positions of need.

Huh ?

From Bengals.com ...

“I don’t know if he can get down the field and separate and stretch it,” said Bengals tight ends coach Jon Hayes, who in one sentence has isolated the debate on Miller. “I haven’t seen it yet. Since he’s not going to be working out here, I’m going to have to wait to see how he does in his workout.”

But Hayes and many with the Bengals like enough what Miller did in three seasons at Virginia to give him a long look. He did catch 20 touchdown passes and caught nearly 140 balls in becoming the most prolific tight end in ACC history. As a sophomore, he led all tight ends in the country with an ACC-record 70 catches and 835 yards.

“He’s got a good feel for the game,” Hayes said. “He does a nice job feeling his way around zones and finding ways to make difficult catches. I know this. He’s a solid player.”

But whether that’s good enough to spend a first-round pick on a position that hasn’t received a lot of play lately in the Cincinnati offense, that’s another question. Offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski, who relies on versatility to hide tendencies in his different packages, likes the ways Miller can be used.

“He doesn’t have exceptional speed. He’s kind of a prototype,” Bratkowski said. “He’s a good blocker and a good pass receiver. He’s not heavy in the passing game and light on the running side. You like those kind of guys.”

I'm glad you felt the need to " attempt " to correct me, but what exactly in that quote does it for you?? :lol:

Is Miller as impressive as Heap was coming out of Arizona State...?

answer NO !

Is Miller as Impressive as T. Gonzalez coming out of California...?

answer NO !

Hell he's not even graded as high as Dallas Clark was coming out of Iowa - Check the Drugstore List next time you feel the need to hear yourself speak ! B)

If If If

If we could trade down from 17 (assuming we believe one or more of the players would'd want would still be available a few picks later) and pick up a late 3 or early 4 in the process....that's where it'd be great to take Matt Jones. It'd be a bonus pick....one we could afford to spend on a high potential project player like this guy.

That's my only potential problem with the idea of adding Jones...that his projected draft cost has caught up to his potential. I'd sweat major bullets if this team nabbed Jones in the mid 2nd or 3rd rounds by passing on more proven prospects who play defined positions of need.

I totally agree...people get so caught up in 40 times. I don't think I'd risk taking this guy with all the needs on the other side of the ball. I seen him trying to catch balls and he just doesn't look smooth doing it. Much rather have a safety or another dl or anything other than him for that matter in the first 3 rounds. He did catch a TD pass in the Senior Bowl so who knows... :wacko:

Doesnt look smooth??...He caught almost everything thrown his way...did you see him use his body to shield the DB to catch the TD in the Senior Bowl. Everything about him from the senior bowl was positive, sometimes I was wondering if it was "to positive". The Buc coaching staff just loved him

I think he is going to be a pro-bowl caliber player if he gets in the right situation in a year or two...He is alot like Drew Bennett, but I believe he is farther along at this stage then Drew Bennett was when he was drafted.

I bet you he will slip into the first day, round three about in the middle but no later than round 4.

Another Eric Crouch experiment?????? No thanks.

Completely disagree. This guy is so far removed from Crouch it's not funny.

Start with this...Jones is 6'6" 242 pounds and turned in unofficial times at the combine of 4.41 and 4.37. Now, even if you add on a .5 or so to those times, he was simply effin flying.

On top of that, they showed footage of him working as a WR at the Senior Bowl and he made a few plays on some of the drills that were just flat nasty.

I personally think he could be a devastating receiving TE, although I have lost several arguments with people who just don't think he will ever block enough to make that work. So, if a WR is his lot, I think he can be damn good.

A parallel? Not Crouch. Try Drew Bennett of the Titans. Former QB in college, naturally gifted, apprentices for a few years in NFL and then has a coming out party for TN last year with 80 catches and 1247 yards. Bennett is tall too...6'4" I believe, with speed.

Philly's Harold Carmichael, but with spped to go with the size, or more recent times two Broncos Ed McCafrey, or must I remind "Sharpe", TE/WR, or our very own "Bob Trumpy"that was his size, and MO, Hum???? :player: :player: , could give Palmer, and Coach Lewis another weapon in that offense. Would be kinda hard to cover Chad J., T.J., "P"Dub, and a fast, lanky,TE; OOOH Wee, sounds like somebody gettin loose up in here ta me. And we didn't even talk the "Rudi J" TRAIN yet with a dose of outside splash from Chris P Without going to the FA route, just use your own PROGRAM, and we have one. Sounds like some valids points being made here once again. Hope coach Lewis checks in once and awhile, wsom e great ideas floating around here :player: :player: :player:

post-9-1110253416.jpg

Doesnt look smooth??...He caught almost everything thrown his way...did you see him use his body to shield the DB to catch the TD in the Senior Bowl.

Yeah I saw him. He let the ball get into his body a couple times that's what I was referring to. If it came off as I was saying he was another Crouch that's not what I was saying. I just meant that I wouldn't want to risk taking someone who is changing positions on the offensive side of the ball where we are pretty much set, and when we have so many issues on the other side. Not another project is what I meant. Anyways, he is a gifted athlete and he may be a f**king beast, it just wouldn't be for me...

I would love for the Bengals to pick him. . . but it'd have to be in the 2nd round cause he won't be around in the 3rd. He can play in the middle of the field and be groomed as Warrick's sucessor for next year, assuming Peter leaves somewhere where he can be the # 2 receiver. Sure, its early, but we won't need to draft a reciever in the middle rounds. You gotta love his combination of size and speed.

Found this in a Arkansas Newpaper about proday there:

Cincinnati Bengals tight end coach John Hays worked with Jones for about 20 minutes, allowing the 6-6, 242-pound Fort Smith native to show his moves and better yet his adaptability to other positions besides quarterback.

After recording times of 4.37 and 4.40 in the 40-yard dash and excellent numbers in the long jump and vertical jump at the NFL Combine, Jones was only timed in two or three drills that primarily judged his lateral movement.

The scouts seemed genuinely pleased with the results, even though Jones just about ran out of his shorts on one shuttle run.

"He’s an impressive athlete," said Hays. "Everyone likes Matt Jones."

This was on profootballtalk.com:

Jones (6-6 1/8, 241) stuck with his times and vertical from the combine (he did well). He ran a 4.11 short shuttle, an 11.07 long shuttle and a 6.65 three-cone drill. He worked out at tight end as well and looked good catching the ball.

I'm glad you felt the need to " attempt " to correct me, but what exactly in that quote does it for you??  :lol:

Is Miller as impressive as Heap was coming out of Arizona State...? 

answer NO !

Is Miller as Impressive as T. Gonzalez coming out of California...?

answer NO !

Hell he's not even graded as high as Dallas Clark was coming out of Iowa - Check the Drugstore List next time you feel the need to hear yourself speak ! B)

Somehow I missed this post and haven't read it till now ...

First off, I don't know what the hell you are talking about with your "need to hear yourself talk" comment or with the remark about the "need to attempt to correct you".

I have no interest in "correcting" you or anybody else, nor do I have any need to "hear myself talk".

I was just wondering where you saw the quotes that you referred to ...

Everyone who has been following the draft is well aware of the fact that this is not a banner year for TEs.

And you do not have to subscribe to the Drugstore List, to know that Miller is not rated as high as a Heap or a Gonzalez.

All of that is common knowledge ...

But I have yet to read where any Bengals Coach has said that "Miller isn't an impressive athlete....and is just an average blocker".

The Coaches (like everyone else) question his speed, but their bottom line was that Miller is a "solid player" and "kind of a prototype".

If you have other quotes I would certainly be Interested in reading them as that would be new information to me.

In particularly any that rate him as only being an average blocker.

I am not all hung up on Miller ...

Especially with the added concerns about his health.

There are a number of other TEs in the draft that may end up being a better value.

And yet Bratkowski did characterize Miller as being "a good blocker and a good pass receiver".

IMO, any TE who is Skilled as Both a Receiver AND as a Blocker would be a major upgrade for the team and I would love to see them pick one up at some point in this year's draft.

That's all I am talking about ...

Well, I was a big supporter of Miller at 17 until I saw that he hadn't yet run a 40 and that he was/is recovering from surgery. Heck, I drafted him myself on nflfans.com Mock IV: http://www.nflfans.com/draft/staticpages/i...050209133851146, albeit this was before the combine and efore I learned those two things.

To me, the guy you take at 17 should be someone you project to be a starter by the end of the upcoming year.

When I thought Miller had run a legit 4.6 and was healthy - this is addition to him having been productive, underrated as a blocker (named offensive lineman of the week in his conference a couple of time for his blocking efforts), and that fact that he is a very smart high character guy - all in all, he was my highest rated player of those that might be available and whom could impact the Bengals.

If he is available at 48 - and he just might be based on the two concerns noted above, though I doubt it - I'd be in favor of taking him at that spot, letting him heal this year, and starting next year.

From the latest "Draft Dish" at TSN's war room:

KEEPING UP WITH JONES

No prospect is climbing the charts faster than Arkansas' Matt Jones, a college quarterback converted to wide receiver. To go with his 6-6 1/4, 242-pound frame, he has run a 4.37 40-yard dash, a 4.01 short shuttle and a 6.65 3-cone drill. He also has posted a 39 1/2-inch vertical leap.

While he worked out at the Combine as a wide receiver after taking some reps at QB, he appears to be projecting as an H-back. Six teams sent their tight ends coach to the Fayetteville campus last week to evaluate him and how he will handle the switch. They all came away impressed.

Jones told one team, "I have been dropping back and reading coverages all my life, this is easy." It now looks as if Jones will be selected before any of the injury marred tight end class, and may even find his way to the early second round. . . .

I still love this guy as a potential TE in Cincy...but it looks like his stock is climbing too damn fast.

• 2 weeks later...