DE or S in the 1st RD

cover2

Thomas Davis looms large on the radar screen but can we afford to pass on a Defensive Lineman that might be available?

Thomas Davis is likely to be moved to OLB because he's too slow to play the position in the NFL. He'd make a great WSLB, and would be a good fit for the Bengals who have need at both positions.

The problem is that Davis will struggle at SS in most defenses in the NFL and will probably be shifted to Linebacker in his rookie year. That isn't something you want to spend a middle round pick on, and is the main reason why teams have cooled on him recently. He's still a solid first rounder, but likely will go a bit later, possibly to a team like Green Bay or Atlanta.

toss in a lb, and isnt this the discussion thats been going for while

Yeah, we've just about exhausted all the draft talk.

Whaddaya mean "just about?" We have exhausted it to the point where I'm ready to throw my own name out there as a draft possibility just to see something different! :rolleyes:

Considering that both positions De and S will be addressed on day one, I'm not too concerned with which comes first. However I am very concerned with our ability to use # 17 as trade down bait. As it's been reported over the last several years, and again this year, there is tremendous value players in rounds 2 and 3. In order for us to make the most of this year's draft, we will need an additional 2nd & 3rd rounder plain and simple.

There are few players that I am Willing to make an exception on ( meaning a team will pretty much have to offer the farm to keep us from selecting them )

1. Derrick Johnson - It would take a miracle for him to drop to # 17, but if he does, my transporter device is already set for the Javits Center and the card with his name on it is already filled out.

2. Braylon Edwards - I'm a big Mike Williams fan, no doubt, but Edwards is the best WR this year hands down. I would trade just about every other receiver than Chad, to ensure Edwards was starting across from him.

3. Carlos Rogers - I honestly think he's the best Cornerback in the draft. Watching him play over the last 3 seasons he has to be considered the best at his position. Rolle got the hype for a few special moments against some good players i.e. Larry Fitzgerald, but Rogers consistency is amazing. He's more of a finished product than Terrence Newman and Quentin Jammer were coming out of college.

3. Carlos Rogers - I honestly think he's the best Cornerback in the draft. Watching him play over the last 3 seasons he has to be considered the best at his position. Rolle got the hype for a few special moments against some good players i.e. Larry Fitzgerald, but Rogers consistency is amazing. He's more of a finished product than Terrence Newman and Quentin Jammer were coming out of college.

:o

That just might be too many ifs at No. 17. With Lewis insisting the club is going to draft the highest-graded player on the board (a la Carson Palmer in 2003 and Perry in 2004) instead of a need, Rang raises the possibility of the Bengals drafting a cornerback. Miami of Florida’s Antrel Rolle (at 6-1, 200 pounds some think he can play safety) figures to be gone, but Rang says to keep an eye on Auburn’s Rogers. Even ahead of PacMan Jones of West Virginia.

You aren't the only one who thinks Rogers may be the best....

I'm really interested in David Pollack as a prospect for CIN at 17. It looks to me like Lewis isn't as high on Crowder as I thought, but they've been quiet about Pollack. They could insert him at DE right away, and he's the prototype player that Lewis looks for.

The knock on him is that he's a bit small and his arms are a little short, which usually sends up some flags, but he's built perfectly to play MLB in the NFL.

Just some thoughts.

I'm really interested in David Pollack as a prospect for CIN at 17. It looks to me like Lewis isn't as high on Crowder as I thought, but they've been quiet about Pollack. They could insert him at DE right away, and he's the prototype player that Lewis looks for.

The knock on him is that he's a bit small and his arms are a little short, which usually sends up some flags, but he's built perfectly to play MLB in the NFL.

Just some thoughts.

I really like Pollack.

His shuttle time (3.90 sec) at the Combine was outstanding.

His strength is his quickness and technique. AND, his production as a DE has been consistently good.

I'd be very happy if the Bengals selected Pollack with the first pick and ODell Thurman in the second round.

OKAY -- I'm biased -- I really like Pollack.

Yea Pollock and Crowder are on the quiet list. I don't get why people are so down on Pollack. The guy is a stud, he set so many records in college, including the Georgia sack record which means he is a very good pass-rusher. But he is also good at run-stuffin. The guy can play DE and OLB, and I can picture him in Orange and Black next fall.