The Rams game

kevnz

Well, I'll start the ball rolling by saying the Bengals win 44 - 38. The Rams have a high powered attack designed for the speed inside the dome. But I. Bruce hurt his ankle and may not be 100%, this should allow the Bengals to key on Torry Holt with double (maybe even triple) coverage and contain Faulk like they did Holmes. Several things are to the advantage of the Bengals. They have already played the same offense once this year already so it's not like the D will be clueless against it. Also as someone stated Frazier knows this Rams offense from having to play it when he was with the Eagles. As for the Rams Defense. They run a cover 2 scheme, and will be without a their Middle Linebacker. The two ways to beat the Cover 2 is to run the ball, and to protect the QB long enough to let him find the open man, something the Bengals have done fairly well this year. If the line steps up the play like they did against the 40whiners then it should be a big day for Rudi and Dillon and Kit should find Chad and P-Dub and K-wash open downfield cause they'll be like greased lightning on the fast track turf. Another thing that will help is the Rams don't know the Bengals...They don't play a team that even has the same kind of offense as them so there is no comparisons, plus they could well go into the game looking past the Bengals, or at least not expecting the kinda fight the Bengals are capable of. Of course I also don't really respect any of the NFC teams, so I might be a bit biased ;)

Boy are you guys optimistic !

You're not going to believe it, but I am too. I think we've got as good of a running and passing game as they've seen all year. Not the best maybe, but as good. They've lost to Seattle and San Fran, both of which we've beaten. They thumped Atlanta ( w/o Vick) pretty good, but only beat the Bears by 2. They've given up more than 20 points in 4 out of their last 5 games. They will also turn the ball over.

Not saying its going to be easy, but it is possible. O line will have to give Kitna time to throw. Key will be reading the blitz and making them pay with Rudi. IF we win the turn over ratio, I think we win the game.

If they give up in the 20's to everyone else, they'll give up 30 to us.

Bengals 34 .............. Rams 30

You're not going to believe it, but I am too. I think we've got as good of a running and passing game as they've seen all year.

Well, if you consider the numbers the Bengals have hung on some good D's the last few weeks then I think the Rams should really be worried. Simply put this Offense scores points. To the defenses credit they do cause turnovers, and Bulger has a habit of turning it over. But I think it's gonna turn into a bit of a shootout cause the defense just can't shut teams down...

All right guy's, I gotta chime in on this one. Considering our weakness on defense, I say our best road to a win in St. Louis is BALL CONTROL!! Feed' em a steady diet of pounding them with Corey and Rudi. Control the line of scrimmage, control the momentum, and most of all, control the all important TIME OF POSSESSION!!

It's a simple theory. If we have the ball, and don't turn it over, they have fewer opportunities to take advantage of our "Bend but not Break" defense! I don't think they have what it takes to shut down our offense! If they DO try to play tight on the run, you know Jon will just burn 'em bad through the air to Chad Johnson, and Peter Warrick, along with a host of other good recievers we have!

It's definitely a tall thing to ask, to go into their house, and pull off that game plan. We didn't win the time of possession game last week with the 'Niners, but thanks to our take aways by the defense, we still notched a "W"! To get another "W" this week against the Rams at their house, we MUST win that battle!!

**What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!!** B)

It's definitely a tall thing to ask, to go into their house, and pull off that game plan. We didn't win the time of possession game last week with the 'Niners, but thanks to our take aways by the defense, we still notched a "W"!

Hate to break it to you, but the Bengals did win the TOP. 33 min to 27...Yep, the Bengals are gonna have to grind it out, but they are gonna have to make sure the score off of nearly every possesion, the Rams are to explosive for the Bengals to leave points on the table

This one smells like a shootout. I took a quick look at the Rams record and points for/against vs. us elsewhere, and the bottom line is if you toss the blowouts -- they had 2 vs crummy teams, Arizona and Atlanta, and we got nailed by Denver and Baltimore -- the points allowed difference between the teams is one (1) point, and the Rams lead points scored by about a FG a game average. And we have almost exactly the same percentage of wins vs. good teams vs. wins over poor teams. In short, if the Rams and Bengals teams that have shown up in most games both show up next Sunday, I'm real comfortable taking the Bengals and the 6.5 points.

I think Peter King nailed it in today's MMQB column: the final score will be 34-31, and either team is capable of putting up the 34. I'll take the Bengals. :D

Oh, I just thought of one other thing that helps us know about the Rams, the QB coach Zampese was the WR coach last year for the Rams, surely he can help pick apart the offense of the team some too...

Yep, I'm looking at anything that might help....

We beat one undefeated team this year, can we beat another? (Rams are undefeated at home.) Answer: Yes. History buffs we be quick to point out this week that we have not beaten a team with a winning record on the road since....whenever. History is just that, history. This is this year. The Rams are fighting the Eagles for home field advantage, so the Rams will not coast into the playoffs. The game will be won or lost by the defense & special teams. The Rams offense is explosive. So is ours. If our offense plays like it did against the 49ers look out! No special teams letdowns and the defense make some plays...yeah...we can beat the Rams.

Go Bengals!!!!

Ok guys, dont flame me for this one, ....my heart says Who Dey and that the Bengals are a team of destiny and can pull off this game. But my head says they dont, (but they still make the playoffs thanks to Pitt).....

Rams 38

Bengals 21

Listen to your heart 'Brew man!! That's where the soul lives!! We gotta believe, and the team has to believe. If you don't believe, it ain't never gonna happen!

Bengals 34

Rams 27

Ok guys, dont flame me for this one, ....my heart says Who Dey and that the Bengals are a team of destiny and can pull off this game.  But my head says they dont, (but they still make the playoffs thanks to Pitt).....

Rams 38

Bengals 21

Listen to your heart 'Brew man!! That's where the soul lives!! We gotta believe, and the team has to believe. If you don't believe, it ain't never gonna happen!

Bengals 34

Rams 27

Its not that i dont believe my friend, its just that this is our toughest game to date imo.....but dont worry, I will be pulling for our boys the whole way.... :D

By the way...If...er...I mean WHEN we win this Sunday against the Rams, just imagine what kind of momentum, and confidence builder that will be as we roll into the playoffs. And as the AFC North Champs, I might add!!

Zampese was with the Rams. Frazier studied these guys with the Eagles. Both are important facts to game-plan the rams.

Bengals D needs to focus on Bulger. He is not mobile and forces throws under pressure. If the D shows up healthy (NO FLU, take your vitamins dummies!) this will be over by the 3rd quarter.

Faulk will get his yards and a couple of scores, he is just that good. The key will be how they come, ie eliminate the big plays. We need to key him up like we did Priest Holmes. Alot of this is the same offense as KC (Vermiel connection).

I actually see us giving them a solid beating.

Bengals 33 - Rams 15

Ok guys, dont flame me for this one, ....my heart says Who Dey and that the Bengals are a team of destiny and can pull off this game. But my head says they dont, (but they still make the playoffs thanks to Pitt).....

Rams 38

Bengals 21

Honesty is always to be admired. I've said some things on here that I knew I was going to catch it for too. Be a pretty dam boring board if we all sat around saying the same thing and agreeing with each other all the time.

I like the different views and opinions even if I don't always agree. Sometimes I find out stuff I never knew too.

Its as hard to go undefeated at home all year as it is to go undefeated on the road all year. Rams barely got past the Seahawks, and I think they're due for a fall. Rams are 6 1/2 point favorites, and that looks good for us too. We always play better as underdogs.

Everything about this game points to a shootout. I don't think it will be.

This will be a Defense, Turnover, Special Teams game: see KC game.

The D has not looked real good as of late. I think Marvin turns them around, and gets them back to the kind of performance seen against KC. Big battle? The battle of the Tory's...James and Holt.

I see Holt winning this one, but the secondary is looking healthier and we'll let Holt get his as we lock down on everybody else. The D can shut down Faulk. He has the same style as Priest. The game plan will be very similar to the Chiefs game. They play a similar style. Vermeil only left there a few years ago. Their offenses are almost identical.

Kitna has to be mistake free. Get the ball moving on the ground consistently in the first half and light 'em up through the air in the second.

Final score? 24-17

My heart says Bengals. My head says it's a toss-up.

Win and you're in.

I actually see us giving them a solid beating.

Bengals 33 - Rams 15

If you'd said that a few days ago I'd have called you nuts, but after all this chatter over strength of victory tiebreakers I decided to go have a look-see at the Rams numbers over on nfl.com.

Their strength of victory is .403, fourth-weakest in the NFC and about 12th-weakest overall. And their strength of schedule this year comes in at .408 -- tied with KC's for the easiest sked in the whole NFL!

Y'know what? You're right. If the Bengals keep the mistakes to a minimum, they could win this going away... :D

I've been having a nosey around nfl.com as well. It seems the Rams suffer the same problem the High powered Chiefs do...They don't stop the run. That cover 2 (yep, the most overated D in the NFL) has a problem stopping the run. There opponents average 4.9 yards a carry. At that clip, Kitna may never through a pass Sunday. Just give it to Rudi and Corey all day long...I can see each back having over 25 carries...

cheers

Kevnz,

How about each back with over 25 carries, and each over one hundred yards? If that does transpire, we would definitely have possession of the ball around TWICE the amount of time that they would! As I said earlier, that's the key to this game. I don't think we want a shootout. That plays into their hands, on their field. We want OUR game on their field!

I've been having a nosey around nfl.com as well. It seems the Rams suffer the same problem the High powered Chiefs do...They don't stop the run. That cover 2 (yep, the most overated D in the NFL) has a problem stopping the run. There opponents average 4.9 yards a carry. At that clip, Kitna may never through a pass Sunday. Just give it to Rudi and Corey all day long...I can see each back having over 25 carries...

cheers

5 yards/attempt? Wow. I say we bench Kitna, put Warrick under center and line up both Corey and Rudi in the backfield. :lol:

How about a wish-bone with Jeremi, Rudi and CD back there. Seriously. It could work.

I wonder what Martz would do? I think that would work. Think of the decoys that sets up. Screens, Play-actions, misdirections etc.

How would the Rams like to see Rudi and Jeremi rumble right side with CD ready to cut it upfield?

How about a wish-bone with Jeremi, Rudi and CD back there. Seriously. It could work.

I wonder what Martz would do?

I don't know but I'd pay money to see the look on the "offensive genius'" face if the Bengals lined up in a wishbone. :lol::lol:

Is that Heismann kid from Oklahoma (the former Ram scrub, whatshisname) still available? How about a 1-game contract? :lol:

But you're right. More I think about it, the more sense it makes. Good ol' fashioned three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust football. Mix in a little dink 'n' dunk action just to keep the defense honest and hold on to the ball for 40 minutes.