New Attitude

redsfan2

In his interview, KItna said he had to remind the guys in the locker room that they had won the game. He said that everyone in there seemed somber and gloomy. Marvin Lewis said that if Kitna hadn't reminded them that this was their 8th win that nobody would have thought of it.

I don't know about you guys, but I think this is great. It's the most positive sign that I've seen yet that this team is leaving the old ways behind. Let's face it. Anybody can get up over beating an undefeated team, and they should. BUT. It tells a lot more about your character that your not happy with yourself after a WIN because you didn't play up to the level that you have come to expect from yourself.

Go back a couple of years and remember when they finally won the 8th game of the season and it was their first win. Whether it was a good win .... a sloppy win .... or by a lucky call, the "old Bengals " acted like they'd just won the super bowl. Back then, they were happy with any crumb that fell to them from the table. Now they have a lot more pride in themselves than to accept crumbs gratefully. They not only expect to win, they expect to play well in doing so and will not be happy with anything less.

They not only expect to win, they expect to play well in doing so and will not be happy with anything less.

That I think has been the most important thing that Coach Lewis has done for the Bengals. People can talk about the weight room changes, the scouting department upgrades, the extra day for away games, staying in a hotel the night before home games, and everything else he's done....But the key is he has this team expecting to win, has them wanting to play better everyweek...Man, you can't blame that attitude on Mike Brown...That was the coachs fault....That's what makes Coach Lewis such a great coach...Those players expect to win, they want to win, and they want to win for Coach Lewis.....There hasn't been a coach here since Wyche that people could say that about....Hell, the coachs during the dark ages...I don't think the players would have bothered to raise their voice if one of the coachs were about to get hit by a bus.....But this team would follow coach Lewis to the gates of hell and back.....

I remember remarking earlier this year that one of the big changes this year versus previous years was that we had a team that would take a bullet for its coach. What player ever cared if they let down LeBeau or Coslet or Schula? Now, not only do these guys not want to disappoint Marvin Lewis with a loss, but they know he'll be disappointed with a poor win, too. This team has the right attitude. Now they have to reach deep down and translate that attitude into focus and execution.

Bottom line: 2 games left. Win, you're in. It's time to make it happen.