What if we traded up ??

ArmyBengal

So, after making my comment in the other forum about Shazor, what do you guys think about trading up ?? Yeah yeah yeah, I know ML likes to have more picks and you never know what you are going to get, but I'm asking the "what if" question here... What if we move up ?? Who do we go after ?? Looking to stir some conversation up in a different direction...

I'm thinking on the D side of things, my hope would be... Derrick Johnson !!!

If we are going to look Offense, thinking WR... Williams, Edwards, Williamson !!!

Just food for though here... :)

WHODEY !!!

Trade UP!?! Now there's a different thought. I honestly doubt it because of what the Bengals would have to give up, and to really get who?

I'm not saying it's totally, 100% out of the question, but have the Bengals ever traded up for anybody?

I guess when your win/loss record gives you a top 5 place in the draft for say the past 10 or so years, you never have to contemplate trading up. YOU'RE ALREADY THERE! :angry:

So, after making my comment in the other forum about Shazor, what do you guys think about trading up ?? Yeah yeah yeah, I know ML likes to have more picks and you never know what you are going to get, but I'm asking the "what if" question here... What if we move up ?? Who do we go after ?? Looking to stir some conversation up in a different direction...

I'm thinking on the D side of things, my hope would be... Derrick Johnson !!!

If we are going to look Offense, thinking WR... Williams, Edwards, Williamson !!!

Just food for though here... :)

WHODEY !!!

:D I would have to agree if they did trade up with the same picks you said, I am still hoping that Johnson is there at 17...and since it looks like this maybe Warrick's last year WR looks good also.

Trade UP!?! Now there's a different thought. I honestly doubt it because of what the Bengals would have to give up, and to really get who?

I'm not saying it's totally, 100% out of the question, but have the Bengals ever traded up for anybody?

I guess when your win/loss record gives you a top 5 place in the draft for say the past 10 or so years, you never have to contemplate trading up. YOU'RE ALREADY THERE!  :angry:

They traded up to pick Ki-Jana Carter ... <_<

But if they were to trade up ...I personally would like to

see them draft Mike Williams.

Williams and Palmer together again would be a great sight to see

in stripes ! :player:

I wouldn`t mind seeing us draft Atrelle Rolle ..but I`d like to see

him play safety...

They traded up to pick Ki-Jana Carter ... <_<

***shiver!*** :(

But if they were to trade up ...I personally would like to

see them draft  Mike Williams.

Williams and Palmer together again would be a great sight to see

in stripes !  :player:

I like the idea of drafting anyone from the National Champs.

I just thought since, like Billy said, we haven't been in "this" position too many times recently, that it was an interesting concept... I was thinking Merriman myself when I started this post, but was also thinking if someone was going to fall to #17, he might be the one. I honestly don't see any of the above mentioned dropping near #17, but who saw Wilfork dropping as much as he did in last years draft ?? Everyone was on his jock last year hoping he would have been there and then after the trade he fell... :angry: Oh well, trading up....... How intriguing !!

WHODEY !!!

The other reason I don't think ML would trade up is the salary cap implications.

The signing bonus curves up very sharply as you get higher in round 1. Invest all that money in one guy and if it happens that he doesn't produce......

That and the fact that it is a crap shoot.....I mean, there are guys picked in round 7 that outperform guys in round 1, and the guy you pick at 17 may well outperform that guy you'd pick at 10. I think you'd only trade up if you were certain a guy would make a world of difference for your team, and no pick is a certain hit or miss at any spot in the draft.

look at our cap space...even if we release some vets we'll barely be able to pay for the scheduled draft picks and FA's like Braham that need to be resigned still. do you really think we will trade up? no chance.

Do you really think we will trade up? no chance.

No, I don't think we will trade up, just asking the "what if" question and if we did, who'd you like the Bengals to go after... God knows there ain't S**T else to talk about and I'm getting sick of the......

(Sarcasm On)

Hey guys, do you think Marvin will pick up Joe S**T the dirtbag in the 6th round because he could be a real difference maker for our defense... He recorded 1 1/2 sacks in his five years in college and I think he's just what this D needs !! <_<

(Sarcasm Off)

Anyway, have a good one !!!

WHODEY !!!

look at our cap space...even if we release some vets we'll barely be able to pay for the scheduled draft picks and FA's like Braham that need to be resigned still. do you really think we will trade up? no chance.

Yeah, with the Rudi upfront money leaving the available funds dry, the Bengals would have to take about another $600k 2005 cap hit to move from #17 to say #7.

Cutting Hardy and P-Dub won't amount to much more than $2 mill cap savings and that still leave Braham out there and the rookies.

They might cut enough cap by restructuring a couple contracts and if they did trading up to # 7 for next year's 1st rd pick like Meece there says would be worth it if they could get Mike Williams, Antrell Rolle, Derrick Johnson, or Shawn Merriman IMO. I'm guessing only Rolle and Merriman would be left by #7, though.

Or the cap difference between #7 and #17 ought to be offset if Bengals gave 2nd rd pick this or next year.

Hey guys, do you think Marvin will pick up Joe S**T the dirtbag in the 6th round because he could be a real difference maker for our defense...

Uhm, you got it backwards....

It's Joe Dirt the s**tbag. :D

Joe S**T the dirtbag is an affectionate term we use towards our Soldiers here, sorry to confuse !!! Joe Dirt... David Spade kills me !!!

WHODEY !!!

Hey guys, do you think Marvin will pick up Joe S**T the dirtbag in the 6th round because he could be a real difference maker for our defense...

Uhm, you got it backwards....

It's Joe Dirt the s**tbag. :D

Joe S**T the dirtbag is an affectionate term we use towards our Soldiers here, sorry to confuse !!! Joe Dirt... David Spade kills me !!!

WHODEY !!!

S'all good, soulja.

Jus' playin' anyway.