Ludwig Insider Column

HoosierCat

Good column from Ludwig today, touches on a lot of issues we've bounced around here. I have to say I pretty much agree with everything he says here...

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/cont...beninsider.html

BENGALS INSIDER

Deadline nearing for Rudi

By Chick Ludwig

Dayton Daily News

What should have been a quick and easy agreement between the Bengals and Pro Bowl tailback Rudi Johnson has turned into a long, grinding process that approaches rocket science.

Now the two sides are on the clock, facing a suffocating Wednesday deadline to get a long-term deal done. If it can't get hammered out by then, a four-month blackout period kicks in and negotiations can't start again until July.

Yes, Johnson has signed a one-year tender of $6.3 million as the club's franchise player. But that cap hit kept the Bengals at bay in free agency until Saturday's agreement with Miami Dolphins defensive tackle Bryan Robinson.

A long-term contract needs to get accomplished to ease the cap burden so the Bengals can address other needs at middle linebacker, strong safety, wide receiver and interior offensive line.

The man known as "Rudi J" should get a five-year, $25 million deal that calls for a $10 million signing bonus and yearly salaries (in millions) of $2, $2.5, $3, $3.5 and $4. That way — with his signing bonus pro-rated at $2 million per year, plus his $2 million base salary — he'd count $4 million against the 2005 cap, which sure beats $6.3 million.

But complicating matters, of course, is the five-year, $27.5 million contract that ex-Jets tailback LaMont Jordan received from Oakland. Even though Jordan shows great promise, there's no way he deserves to make more money than Johnson.

At the same time, the Bengals can't allow, and won't allow, one player to cripple them financially. If they can't reach an agreement with Johnson by Wednesday, they ought to allow him to seek a trade.

Pennies from heaven

Slowly, surely, the Bengals are clearing cap room. The release of strong safety Rogers Beckett and cornerback Dennis Weathersby — who were due to make $700,000 and $380,000, respectively — provides some relief, but not enough.

Know this: The club isn't finished dropping the guillotine on high-priced veterans. Among the players who aren't safe are wide receiver Peter Warrick, due to make $2.28 million in the final year of his contract; linebacker Kevin Hardy ($2.6 million); and tight end Reggie Kelly ($1.1 million).

However, the ax won't fall until the coaching staff is convinced it has capable replacements. The combination of T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Kelley Washington and a soon-to-be-drafted wideout should make up for the loss of Warrick.

Armageddon '06

The Bengals are in a hurry to win because the contracts of 11 key players expire after the 2006 season.

At least three of them — offensive tackles Willie Anderson and Levi Jones, and left guard Eric Steinbach — deserve extensions.

The other eight will likely move on if they survive on the roster that long. They are defensive ends Justin Smith and Duane Clemons, right guard Bobbie Williams, cornerback Tory James, center-guard Larry Moore, safety Kevin Kaesviharn, Hardy and Kelly.

'Redshirt' seasons

What do tailback Chris Perry, defensive tackle Matthias Askew, offensive tackle Stacy Andrews and cornerback Greg Brooks have in common?

All were part of the Bengals' 11-man 2004 draft class, and they hardly played a lick as rookies. After "redshirt" seasons, they should begin to have an impact this fall.

Looking ahead

Beckett's departure signals the need for a strong safety. Georgia's Thomas Davis could be the man the Bengals call with the 17th pick in the first round of the April 23-24 draft.

:huh: I like Warrick, but he has never come close to the things he did in college. Let Hardy go also...They should have done a deal with Rudi last year, now with reports on Perry having another hernia, who knows that it may not be a repeat of last year.

Next year is really kinda scaring me.

The other eight will likely move on if they survive on the roster that long. They are defensive ends Justin Smith and Duane Clemons, right guard Bobbie Williams, cornerback Tory James, center-guard Larry Moore, safety Kevin Kaesviharn, Hardy and Kelly.

That just seems like alot of players to lose. I have a feeling that Justin Smith is going to have a breakout season this year with it being his "contract year" and with the Bengals hopefully upgrading the line to give him more help. I don't really want to see him go.

And what round do you guys think a wide-out is going to be taken? I really liked Fred Gibson in the season bowl. I'm not really sure where he is projected though. Probably round two... :huh:

My predictions:

Gone this year: Hardy, Kelley, L. Moore (if Moore was going to stay they would have had him and not Fontenot playing out the string at the end of last season).

Going after 2005 or 2006 season: Big Willie, James, Clemons (all older guys. Willie will be replaced by Andrews. Clemons could return at a Robinson-like salary.)

Staying: Steinbach, Levi, J. Smith (have to keep one of the tackles and Levi is servicable and still young. Smith, for all his "disappointments" is a solid 3-down DE and those are hard to find.)

Who cares: Kaesviharn, Williams (I'v always liked K2 but he's strictly backup/special teams material. Williams didn't particularly stink or impress last season. 2005 probably dictates his future.)

And what round do you guys think a wide-out is going to be taken? I really liked Fred Gibson in the season bowl. I'm not really sure where he is projected though. Probably round two... :huh:

Well, I have to think with the signing of Robinson, the D-line is not as definitive as it was a few days ago in regards to our #1 pick. That being said, I would still be MORE than happy to get MORE D-line help, but have to think they may be going in another direction. With ML already stating a desire for another speed type receiver, Williamson would not suprise me one bit if we stay put at #17 and he is still there. After that, it's anyone GUESS... As far as who stays or who goes, THIS year, it all depends on injury issues. If we have guys come back from their injuries and can cut wright in those positions, we could see many people get the axe... We shall see...

WHODEY !!!

I think the need to give the developing/emerging DTs a shot this year rather than pick up any more. That said, I do like the signing of this particular DT if he comes as advertised - run stuffer.

I think at this point they should be figuring out who they like long term and signing them to longer term and cap-friendlier deals. Example: Bobbie Williams. Is he the 5 year man at guard? If so, get it done.