Kiper's new mock

Kipers New Mock

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. San Francisco 49ers: Alex Smith (jr.), QB, Utah

A smart player who will pick up an NFL system quickly, Smith has good size, is mobile enough to hurt teams with his running ability and is also an efficient passer who can make all the necessary throws. The Niners likely won't get a good enough deal to move down because there is not a particular player creating a buzz as the surefire No. 1 prospect, but getting Smith would be a good start toward revamping a struggling offense.

2. Miami Dolphins: Ronnie Brown, RB, Auburn

Brown is the top running back available after his outstanding combine workout. He showed impressive speed for a 230-pounder, he can catch the ball out of the backfield and also has excellent instincts and quickness, something new Dolphins coach Nick Saban knows all about having coached against Brown in the SEC while at LSU.

3. Cleveland Browns: Aaron Rodgers (jr.), QB, California

Rodgers is a smart, accurate passer with a quick release. His arm strength is adequate and he put height questions to rest at the combine. Rodgers is a better prospect at this point in his career than former Cal QB Kyle Boller, now the starter for the Baltimore Ravens.

4. Chicago Bears: Cedric Benson, RB, Texas

The Bears addressed their need for a big-time wideout with the free agent signing of Muhsin Muhammad and Benson would give quarterback Rex Grossman two topflight weapons to help out on offense. Benson is a tough, productive runner who can go the distance and always showed up in his team's biggest games.

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Carnell Williams, RB, Auburn

A creative, deceptive runner with tremendous natural skills. Williams can get tough yards inside despite lacking ideal size, a point illustrated by his 29 rushing TDs over the last two years, and Tampa coach Jon Gruden is very familiar with him after coaching Williams in the Senior Bowl.

6. Tennessee Titans: Adam Jones (jr.), CB, West Virginia

A good cover man who will also contribute as a kick returner, Jones has very good closing speed and is a willing tackler in run support. That may be his most important quality with the NFL hurting pass defenses by focusing on downfield infractions by defensive backs. Jones also fills a major need after hits in free agency.

7. Minnesota Vikings (from OAK): Braylon Edwards, WR, Michigan

Edwards' size, strength, speed and overall athleticism would go a long way toward filling the void left by the trade of Randy Moss, which is how the Vikings acquired the selection in the first place. Minnesota also has needs on defense but can address them later in the first round.

8. Arizona Cardinals: Derrick Johnson, OLB, Texas

The best pure linebacker in the draft, Johnson has sideline-to-sideline speed and is always around the ball. His consistency would be welcome on a defense looking for playmakers.

9. Washington Redskins: Mike Williams (jr.), WR, USC

Williams has the size and strength to dominate corners with his 6-foot-5, 230-pound frame. He must answer questions about his speed, but beyond that his hands, body control and natural receiving skills make him a very attractive package for a team that needs to help quarterback Patrick Ramsey.

10. Detroit Lions: Dan Cody, DE, Oklahoma

The Lions need their front seven to get more pressure on the quarterback and Cody would help with his fiery attitude and relentless motor. He stepped up in big games and was one of the most consistent performers on a defense full of stars.

11. Dallas Cowboys: Shawne Merriman (jr.), DE/OLB, Maryland

A workout warrior with incredible physical skills, Merriman would be an ideal end/linebacker combo in a 3-4 scheme. He fits the mold of Patriots linebacker Willie McGinest, who was the first draft pick of Cowboys coach Bill Parcells when Parcells began his tenure in New England.

12. San Diego Chargers: Marcus Spears, DE, LSU

The Chargers need more playmakers on the front seven and Spears would be a good option for providing pressure along the defensive front. He boosted his stock immensely with a great week of work at the Senior Bowl.

13. Houston Texans: Alex Barron, OT, Florida State

Texans quarterback David Carr is improving but needs more protection, making the versatile Barron an ideal fit. He is very strong in the lower body and has quick feet in pass protection.

14. Carolina Panthers: Troy Williamson (jr.), WR, South Carolina

Williamson showed great speed at the combine and would be a nice option for a team that lost Muhsin Muhammad in free agency. Williamson did not play in a passing offense in college but has the speed all teams are looking for.

15. Kansas City Chiefs: Carlos Rogers, CB, Auburn

The Chiefs likely will dedicate most of their draft to defense, and Rogers is a good place to start. He was Auburn's best defensive player last season, Rogers can support the run or excel in pass coverage and has plenty of experience against top-shelf collegiate competition.

16. New Orleans Saints: Jammal Brown, OT, Oklahoma

Brown is equally adept in pass and run blocking, using his quick feet and long arms to move defensive linemen away from the action.

17. Cincinnati Bengals: Travis Johnson, DT, Florida State

Johnson has the size and strength to be a force up front. He raised his stock throughout the 2004 season and would give the Bengals some beef along the defensive front.

18. Minnesota Vikings: Fabian Washington (jr.), CB, Nebraska

Washington was the talk of the combine after running the 40 in 4.28 seconds, and his speed and athleticism are just what the Vikings need in a secondary that struggled against top wideouts and quarterbacks last season.

19. St. Louis Rams: David Pollack, DE, Georgia

Pollack plays with tremendous intensity and his motor does not stop. He makes up for a lack of size with good initial quickness and great closing speed, but his 40 time at the combine was a bit disappointing and he will have to show more speed during his individual workout.

20. Dallas Cowboys (from BUF): Roddy White, WR, UAB

Averaged 20 yards per catch during his senior season and was very good at both the Senior Bowl and the combine. The acquisition of quarterback Drew Bledsoe means the Cowboys will have to find him some help in the passing game.

21. Jacksonville Jaguars: Antrel Rolle, CB, Miami

The Jags are thin in the secondary and need a player with Rolle's speed and toughness, a player who can be solid in coverage and also a force in run support.

22. Baltimore Ravens: Erasmus James, DE, Wisconsin

James is an outstanding pass rusher who also plays the run very well thanks to his strength and quickness. He will have to answer a bit of a speed question after a disappointing 40 at the combine, and there are also durability concerns since he missed all of 2003 and part of 2004 with various injuries.

23. Seattle Seahawks: Shaun Cody, DE/DT, USC

Cody would be a nice addition to a line that already includes Pro Bowl player Chad Brown. Cody has the size and versatility to play end or tackle and was a major force for the nation's leading rush defense.

24. Green Bay Packers: Thomas Davis (jr.), S/OLB, Georgia

Davis played safety in college but has the size and speed to move to outside linebacker at the pro level. He is a punishing tackler who is always around the ball and would form a nice outside tandem with Nick Barnett.

25. Denver Broncos: Demarcus Ware, DE/OLB, Troy

Ware would fit perfectly in Denver's new 3-4 scheme with his ability to either play on his feet or put his hand on the ground in a three-point stance. He is not physically imposing but has shown the necessary speed and burst.

26. New York Jets: Marlin Jackson, CB, Michigan

His combine performance showed Jackson has the speed to be a true corner and not a safety/corner combo like he was in college.

27. Atlanta Falcons: Brodney Pool (jr.), S, Oklahoma

Another OU standout, Pool has tremendous instincts and is always in the middle of the action. He led the Sooners in tackles last season, showing his willingness to mix things up in run support, and he is adequate in pass coverage.

28. San Diego Chargers: Mark Clayton, WR, Oklahoma

Clayton has speed, quickness and elusiveness that make him dangerous after the catch. He would round out a receiving corps bolstered by the addition of WR Keenan McCardell and the emergence of TE Antonio Gates.

29. Indianapolis Colts: Channing Crowder (3rd so.), MLB, Florida

An impressive physical specimen who adjusted immediately to top-level collegiate competition, Crowder has ideal size and athletic skills for a man in the middle.

30. Pittsburgh Steelers: Heath Miller (jr.), TE, Virginia

There is some question whether Miller will be able to work out before the draft due to a pelvic injury, but he still remains the best tight end prospect and would give Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger a nice option in the middle of the field.

31. Philadelphia Eagles: Jerome Mathis, WR, Hampton

Played at the Division I-AA level in college but showed at the Gridiron Classic and the combine he belongs with the big boys. He dominated Hampton's playoff game this season and was the best player on the field at the Gridiron thanks to his overall athleticism.

32. New England Patriots: Barrett Ruud, LB, Nebraska

His speed and athletic ability made him Nebraska's all-time leading tackler and Ruud would help the Patriots get younger at a key position, a big key with the health of Teddy Bruschi in question.

Ourlad's is the most commonly used source by NFL teams. so says Jerry Jones, but that doesn't mean their mocks are the most accurate.

Their last mock is from early February but they have the Bengals taking Cody (wouldn't be disappointed with that pick at all) and have Davis going to the Vikings at #18.

Ole Mel usually gets half of them right which implies that so does every other mock draft...

Antaaj Hawthorne is a run stuffer.. He requires doubleteaming alot. He'll make it easier for our LB's to make tackles and maybe even make Thornton's job easier as well.. Our biggest need is for someone to help stop the opponents from running the ball down our throats every week...

So forget Davis, Cody, Miller and all the rest of the players that would be good but dont fill our biggest need.. Hawthorne does and thats why he'll be the number one pick of the Bengals baring a trade....

The only thing I've heard about Travis Johnson is that he was a one-year wonder who basically underachieved until his senior year. I don't know about the rest of you, but that doesn't really make me want him to be our first-rounder.

I wouldn't mind Davis/Hawthorne, but I would prefer Pollack, James or Merriman/Shazor or Hawthorne/Shazor.

I wouldn't mind Davis/Hawthorne, but I would prefer Pollack, James or Merriman/Shazor or Hawthorne/Shazor.

I agree. I like Pollack -- but a lot of the mock drafts have the Bengals taking either Travis Johnson or Shawn Cody or Marcus Spears.

23. Seattle Seahawks: Shaun Cody, DE/DT, USC

Cody would be a nice addition to a line that already includes Pro Bowl player Chad Brown. Cody has the size and versatility to play end or tackle and was a major force for the nation's leading rush defense.

WTF is he talking about w/ Chad Brown on the line :wacko:

It looks like Mel's hitting the crack pipe again w/ a pick like Jerome Mathis in the 1st round. Mathis can play and flies but I can't see maybe 3 other non-1st round speed WRs going before him.

Other picks like Ware and Washington seem like a round too early to me.

As for the Top 10, I'm going with these:

1. Alex Smith QB 49ers

2. Ronnie Brown RB Fins

3. Derrick Johnson LB Browns

4. Braylon Edwards WR Bears

5. Cadillac Williams RB Bucs

6. Mike Williams WR Titans

7. Antrell Rolle CB Vikes

8. Cedric Benson RB Cards

9. Aaron Rodgers QB Skins

10 Shawn Merriman DE Lions

The only thing I've heard about Travis Johnson is that he was a one-year wonder who basically underachieved until his senior year. I don't know about the rest of you, but that doesn't really make me want him to be our first-rounder.

yeah, I have to agree with BN.

Smells like Akili Smith to me..... <_<

The only thing I've heard about Travis Johnson is that he was a one-year wonder who basically underachieved until his senior year.  I don't know about the rest of you, but that doesn't really make me want him to be our first-rounder.

yeah, I have to agree with BN.

Smells like Akili Smith to me..... <_<

Or maybe Big DaDa...

I think that Shaun Cody would be a better pick than Johnson or Spears. I wouldn't be too upset if we drafted Spears, but I would prefer Cody out of those three.

I don't see a DT at #17 that we couldn't get later in the 1st, or a DT that has impressed me enough to think that there aren't DTs in the later rounds that wouldn't be just as effective. I also like Hawthorne alot, so I think that he would be a good option, but I would much rather go DE in the 1st and wait until the 3rd or 4th to grab a DT, possibly Ellison or Fields.

1. Alex Smith QB 49ers

2. Ronnie Brown RB Fins

It's not that far to #17. Keep going.

One thing that is very interesting as we head into the final weeks before the draft that a lot of the players that were supposed to be locks for round one a month ago, are now finding their way into rounds 2 and 3.

i.e. Justin Tuck De, Notre Dame. - widely believed to be a lock for pick # 20-32, now appears in most mock drafts drafted after the Bengals select at # 48. The same could be said for guys like Corey Webster, Adam Terry,Channing Crowder, and C.J. Mosley. -

* Not sure about you, but can't wait for the deals to start coming in. Would love for Cincy to be able to have at least 4-5 day one picks.

As per a post made by Schweiney I think, There would have to be a really good Running back available at # 17 for the Eagles to trade # 31 and # 35 to get # 17.

But I'd take the trade, or maybe even take the Running back and trade Chris Perry !! :lol::lol:

* I'm gonna stick to my guns though, I like Rudi but I just can't see us paying him 6 million a year in a off-season where there are so many good running backs available both in Free Agency and the Draft.

Yep, paying Rudi 6 million is a bad move for this organization.

He's a good player but in the era of cap management, if you overpay one player, you hurt the rest of your team because now you can't pay another.

And that's exactly what's happening. Paying TJ and Rudi as much as we have has all but made it impossible for us to try to pick up a guy like Edgerton Hartwell. These two players have, like it or not, hurt this team right on the verge of playoff possibilities.

Then again, if I am Rudi, I am thinking i'd MUCH rather have 3-4 million in signing bonus RIGHT NOW plus a good salary then hope I get through the year uninjured and collect 6. So that's what I am hanging onto - the hope that they get a new longterm deal on the books before March 16. If it doesn't happen before then, frankly, I'd see that as Rudi planning on leaving after 2005, at which point I say, no matter how much I otherwise like the guy - don't let the door hit you on the way out. If he doesn't want to be here - let him go.

* Not sure about you, but can't wait for the deals to start coming in. Would love for Cincy to be able to have at least 4-5 day one picks.

Yeah, I always feel good when Coach Lewis trades down.

It seems like every player he gets is a quality one, and I have no problem with going for a infusion of speed and youth on this team. Getting players who WANT to play here (i.e. Rudi and TJ) is another step in the right direction.

I think down the line, Coach Lewis will be able to retain a lot of the players he drafted, like Steinbach, Landon, Caleb, Keiwan, etc.

That is, if we keep making strides over the seasons, which I believe we will.

Good time to be a Bengals fan.

I don't remember any time in my eleven years as a bengals fan that I've been this excited about football season and the FA and draft period. Marvin has proven that he knows what he's doing, and I think that this draft will end up better than the last.

I also see us trading down from 17 unless a true impact player is there, which I don't think there will be. But if that happens, I'd much rather have two second-rounders than a pick at 17 that wouldn't be an immediate improvement.

1. Alex Smith QB 49ers

2. Ronnie Brown RB Fins

It's not that far to #17. Keep going.