Second Tier Free Agents

FonzieDog

History tells us that the Bengals more often than not has trouble attracting top level free agents. Knowing this and the possibility of Rudi, T.J. and Braham swallowing up almost all of our cap space makes it look a little unrealistic of us landing any top tier guys. Who are some second tier free agents we might target that could have solid potential?

Marcus Bell DT (Lions) - Big a$$ lineman

Reggie Hayward DE (Broncos) - Only 25. Had 11 sacks last season.

Bubba Franks TE (Packers) - Okay, not quite a second tier guy, but I would love to see him catching passes from Palmer.

Who else?

Hayward sounds good to me and that could alter how we attack the draft... maybe pressing Alex Smith (TE) or Ernest Shazor (S) to the top of the charts... I saw Alex Smith play against the Trojanbs and he was close to uncoverable. If their QB was better, he could have had 15 catches in that game....

Give the Fonz a world of credit for posting an idea that hasn't really been discussed at all on this board.

While everybody was busy talking about Simon and Ferguson, Fonzie put together a list that is more realistic and covers our main needs. I'm not saying that I wasn't a part of the Simon and Ferguson conversations, but I wish that I had thought like he has. Bravo to you, Fonzie!

I love the idea of Hayward on the end...he would be a force and would compliment Smith very well while Geathers continues to grow. I don't know much about Bell, though I have heard, the name, so I'm gonna go check his stats.

BN1281

Another name on the DE FA front worth keeping an eye on (at least IMHO) is Simeon Rice. The guy is no spring chicken, but he keeps churning out double-digit sacks season after season. The Bucs are $14 million over the '05 cap at this point, and Rice has an eye-popping $10 million cap number. And he fragged Gruden at the end of the season. Official word is that he's a restructure candidate, but I could easily see him becoming a cap casualty.

Hasn't everyone fragged Jon Gruden by now? Regardless, the name I keep hearing mentioned as a possible high profile cap casualty in Tampa is OLB Derrick Brooks. :blink:

Yeah, he's on the list of possible cuts, too. So's Johnson and a few others. But I believe Rice has the single biggest number and that has to make him a tempting target.

These following gentlemen are indeed good but I would hate to see the Bengals start picking up older players and spending the little cap money on players that are on there way out. Najeh Davenport, Derrick Brooks, & Simeon Rice. On the other hand I agree with the beast Reggie Hayward, he would be a nice addition to Thorton.

I too would Love to see the Bengals go after Alex Smith (TE) he would be a good additon at TE. The Bengals haven't had any one emerge as a good TE in my opnion since Trumpy, long overdue. :player:

Runningbacks there has to be a better choice than Davenport, he really didn't fill the bill that well when pushed into the spotlight in Greenbay this year, not bad but definitely not the feature, and if running by comittee is gonig to be our next years ticket, or insurance is required cause not sure of Chris Perrythan why spend big money to do so, spend the money elsewhere till the following season? :player:

Well there's my 2 cents, but new here & will be back .

Runningbacks there has to be a better choice than Davenport, he really didn't fill the bill that well when pushed into the spotlight in Greenbay this year, not bad but definitely not the feature

Welcome glnwf. As far as Davenport goes, I'm not sure if there is a better running back out there other than Alexander, James, and Jordan. I might rate Jordan and Davenport pretty closely with the edge going to Jordan. If Rudi leaves I think we need to make some move at running back. I wouldn't be comfortable with just Perry and Watson. I'm not sure who might be available in the later rounds in the draft and I don't think we want to spend another high draft choice on a RB one year after drafting Perry 1st round. Davenport is still relatively young (27) and still seems to run with a full head of steam. Outside of Davenport there seems to be older backs in the decline (Levens, Hearst) and I don't think we would be interested in anybody like Travis Minor or Troy Hambrick. Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala intrigues me a little bit but is probably too much of a ? and has never really shown he can carry the load. If Perry is the guy going into next season I would really feel better with some quality depth behind him.

Bubba Franks TE (Packers) - Okay, not quite a second tier guy, but I would love to see him catching passes from Palmer.

I agree. Bubba would be a great addition.

Heath Miller TE will likely be gone when we draft in the first round and Alex Smith TE might be gone before our second round pick.

Picking up Kevin Everett in the 2nd or 3rd round would be the best way to handle our TE situation. He will be one of the best in the league in 06.

:huh::o What the crap is going on here? DPM has been making good points the last couple of days, and now he brings up Kevin Everett!? :D Kevin Everett is the MAN!

I think Everett would be an excellent choice. I watched him several times this year, and he is one of those TEs who has the ability to take over a game. Definitely one of the best pass-catching TEs in college football, and would be an excellent pickup if we were to draft him.

DPM, have you changed your ways? What brought about this change in your posting philosophy? Is the Apocalypse far behind? :o

BN1281

Picking up Kevin Everett in the 2nd or 3rd round would be the best way to handle our TE situation. He will be one of the best in the league in 06.

Not to hear some guy named "Winslow" in Cleveland tell it. <_<

I like the looks of Kevin Everett as well. Is it me or does the tight end class look particularly thin this year? It looks like Everett might be chosen earlier this year then he might have in previous years. Doesn't look like there is much beyond the top 5 tight ends this year. I have to admit I don't know a lot about the rest of the tight ends in the draft, but I watched a lot of college football this year and nobody really jumped out at me except Smith, Miller, and Everett. I guess I do kind of like Cross from California. He's a pretty good receiver.

If we plan to use a little more 3-4 defense here are some second tier free agents that would give us some needed depth at linebacker.

Edgerton Hartwell LB (Ravens) run stuffing linebacker

Morlon Greenwood LB (Dolphins) the athletic type that ML likes

Antonio Pierce LB (Redskins) played for ML in Washington

I'm still liking Marques Douglas. At 6-2/290, he should be able to handle DE or DT in 4-3 and be an experienced DE in 3-4. He had 72 tackles and 5.5 sacks in 2004 and 61/4.5 in 2003 for Ratbirds.

I'm doubtful a DE will be considered but other good UFAs beside Hayward are Chike Okeafor, Derrick Burgess, and Bryce Fisher.

At DT, the pickings are slim indeed. Marcus Bell was cut by Zona last year and picked up by Lions on waiver wire before Bengals could claim.

A couple other UFA DTs are Ron Edwards 6-3/320 who started for Bills in 2002 but missed 11 games in 2003 after Bills signed Sam Adams and had only 2 starts last year with 21 tackles and 4 sacks. Also, Bryan Robinson 6-4/296 who started for Fins after he lost about 20 lbs w/ Bears but got cut w/ Tommie Harris and Tank Johnson drafted.