bengals draft

I think the Bengals should draft either Thomas Davis SS or Justin Tuck DE.Davis reminds me alot of David Fulcher. He could punish running backs with his size. Tuck could be the pass rusher weve needed since Reggie Williams. Robey Wr out of Indiana could be a steal in the later rounds.He has awesome speed and hands. It sure would be nice to have another weapon for Carson along with Chad and TJ. REDSFAN2510

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thomas Davis is going to be an OLB in the NFL. That being said, it seems like he'll be a very good OLB in the pros. So whoever takes him, it'll be for LB and not SS. If Tuck is rated a 1st round prospect coming out of the combine, I wouldn't mind seeing us trade down and take him (he should be available late Round 1). I wouldn't want to take him in the 2nd, as I'd rather see us go S/C/TE with the #2.

Actual players I've got to read alittle more there to make a determination.

Postion wise I would like to see the Bengals go after some "D" Line help first off #1, then address the #2 "O" Line with a center(replace Braham)or a Guard. Then a Tight end if possible, something the Bengals haven't had a good one of for awhile. I mean McGhee was ok, Schobel again ok, Tony ?? I don't know got caught at the end of Paterno, so we need one of them, open up the outside if your tightend can get down field and block. ie;(Crumpler, Falcons) then maybe Runningback, 5-5 Kansas State RB Darren Sproles. :player:

post-9-1108068527.gif

Tuck would be a good pickup, but I think we would have to look elsewhere at 17 if he was the best option available. Then again, with Spears, James, Pollack, Tuck and Dan Cody all in the draft, I wouldn't be too upset with any of them at some point, whether it be at 17 or in the late-1st or early-2nd round.

I would still like to see Shazor as a Bengal, though, so hopefully he will be around in the 2nd. And on another post the idea of signing Reggie Hayward from the Broncos was brought up, and if that happens then I say we get a DE in the later rounds and go SS/TE or WR/C on day 1.

BN1281

SHAZOR

Amen, brother...preach on

BN1281

What about Jovan Haye, DE, Vanderbilt? I looked at his bio and he has impressive size and decent stats.

I haven't seen him mentioned yet. Or I missed it when he was.

BN1281

Shazor then Alex Smith if available....C in round 3

And Everett would not be too shabby either....I drafted him on Madden and he will be the Madden ROY easily :P Gabe Watson is a pile of crap though, good thing I drafted Mike Patterson...

My Madden Draft class for 2005

Rd. 1 = Gabe Watson (horrible)

Rd. 2 = Kevin Everett (Off. ROY, uncoverable)

Rd. 3 = Jason Brown (Developing nicely)

Rd. 4 = Alex Smith (Solid, plays some slot receiver due to injuries)

Rd. 5 = Mike Patterson (Gets better w/ every game, starter alongside JT)

Rd. 6 = Nick Speegle (blazing fast LB who excels on special teams)

Rd. 7 = Some S who I then traded w/ a 3rd Rd. pick to CLE for Sean Jones who is a ballhawk and a hitter!!!!

I then traded Justin 3 sacks in 2004 Smith to Tenn for Erasmus James... just thought I'd share....

But in the real Draft my fiercesome 5 (who fit the Bengals needs and availability) are:

1. Ernest Shazor

2. Matt Roth

3. Alex Smith

4. Demarcus Ware

5. Travis Johnson

:player: :player: :player: :player: :player:

But in the real Draft my fiercesome 5 (who fit the Bengals needs and availability) are:

1. Ernest Shazor

2. Matt Roth

3. Alex Smith

4. Demarcus Ware

5. Travis Johnson

:player: :player: :player: :player: :player:

Except for Ware, it'd be hard for Bengals to get 2 out of the other 4 w/o trading up in 2nd.

I'm guessing Travis Johnson goes to the Chiefs at #15 and Smith, Shazor, and Roth IMO are all gonna be gone between 17 and 48.

I'm not sure about Ware. Seems like a Reinard Wilson project :unsure: I question whether he can adjust to LB anytime soon but has some serious speed and strength for a player his size off the end. Despite all the Mike Mayock hype and Kiper adding him in the 1st rd, I'm guessing Ware goes in top 5 of 3rd rd.

1.) Shazor-Hell yes...but not at 17! I'm praying like hell that he'll be there in the second. Madieu and Ernest...i'd love to see madieu/shazor lay out hines ward 4 times a game twice a year :D

2.) Roth-i would love to see him in stripes but he'd probably be my second choice (Erasmus James)

3.) Alex Smith-Saw the senior bowl and was impressed, but i doubt he'll be there when we pick again in the second

4.) Demarcus Ware- no option b/c i don't know about him

5.) Travis Johnson-would probably be my choice for #17 b/c i have a feeling that he won't be a bust...but time will tell!

My ideal draft:

1) Travis Johnson

2) Ernest Shazor

3) Jason Brown

SHAZOR TRAIN!!!

SHAZOR. SHAZOR. SHAZOR. SHAZOR.

I don't care when we get him, but we need to get him. Madieu and Ernest would give everyone the business, the biz-nass.

BN1281

My ideal draft:

1) Travis Johnson

2) Ernest Shazor

3) Jason Brown

That'd be killa :ph34r:

I'm rolling with:

1. Alex Smith TE (But it's looking like Roddy White)

2. Atiyyah Ellison DT

3. Jason Brown C

4. TA McClendon RB if no Rudi or Andre Maddox SS w/ Rudi.

I guess I'm leaning towards

# 17 - Marcus Spears DE/DT, L.S.U.

# 48 - Earnest Shazor SS, Michigan

# 81 - Chris Spencer C, Mississippi

and maybe a Terrence Murphy WR,Texas A&M in the fourth round if he fell ?

Chris,

If you know of any game in the past two years that Marcus Spears shows that he will be the "ultimate" solution to the Bengals defensive line -- tell me which one it is.

I've watch six-seven LSU game tapes of over the past two years and he is absolutely BORING!!! Spears does NOT make plays -- does NOT make tackles for losses. I think on average, Spears will make two to three good play/game. NOT GREAT, just good.

I understand that LSU plays a two gap technique with their D-linemen. BUT, on the games I've watched, all I've seen is the TEs pushed Spears all over the field.

I really hope the Bengals DO NOT draft Marcus Spears in the first round.

However, based on my past experience (pre-Marvin), Spears will probably be the choice.

I definitely prefer David Pollack, or Heath Miller, or Thomas Davis or even Travis Johnson over Marcus Spears.

Chris,

If you know of any game in the past two years that Marcus Spears shows that he will be the "ultimate" solution to the Bengals defensive line -- tell me which one it is.

I've watch six-seven LSU game tapes of over the past two years and he is absolutely BORING!!! Spears does NOT make plays -- does NOT make tackles for losses. I think on average, Spears will make two to three good play/game. NOT GREAT, just good.

I understand that LSU plays a two gap technique with their D-linemen. BUT, on the games I've watched, all I've seen is the TEs pushed Spears all over the field.

I really hope the Bengals DO NOT draft Marcus Spears in the first round.

However, based on my past experience (pre-Marvin), Spears will probably be the choice.

I definitely prefer David Pollack, or Heath Miller, or Thomas Davis or even Travis Johnson over Marcus Spears.

We'll just have to agree to disagree, because any person that had watched the SEC championship games from a couple of years ago, or the So-Called National Championship game of LSU against the Oklahoma Sooners, you saw Spears put on a show, similiar to the one he put on during the Senior Bowl practices.

According to Scouts.Com, one report had shown One on One position battles where Wesley Britt the Monster Tackle from Alabama was thrown down by a club move by Spears".

The SEC Championship Game against Georgia last season he was the most dominant performer. His interception against the Sooners in the National Championship game that he returned for a touchdown was the deciding factor. How about this for some game film, go back and watch who Spears beat up during that game for a couple of tackles for loss including a sack and you'll see it's First round prospect Jamaal Brown ! He's beaten every top prospect he's faced including first rounders from the last two seasons. He's so athletic that he's picked off numerous quarterbacks from dropping back in Coverage. He's a former Tight end. He has a Wing Span of almost 8ft. Long Arms mean tipped passes. Long Arms mean leverage. Did you even Watch the Bowl game against the Iowa Hawkeyes, where despite playing with a Biceps injury, the kid still faced double teams while the Hawkeyes refused to run against his side of the ball..?? Don't believe me, Ask Schweinart !

* The most important thing that you're forgetting, is that he did all of that without great technique. He's gonna get better. Despite his athleticism and productivity, he's versatile enough to cause match-up problems across the offensive line.

The truth of the matter is, his Senior Bowl performance may have separated him from the pack and pushed him higher up the board and out of our reach at # 17. It's a mock draft, not a prophetic scripture.... If I could truly see the future, I'd become a career Lottery player, not an amateur Scout/Draft GURU. :P

Relax man, It's February, We've got 417 other players to argue about before April 23-24th hit. :D

i would love to see

1) Shawne Merriman OLB Maryland

2) Ernest Shazor S Michigan

3) Ronald Fields DT Mississipi State

4) Darren Sproles RB Kansas State

what i think will happen

1) Troy Williamson WR South Carolina or Roddy White WR UAB

2) Demarcus Ware DE/OLB Troy State or Bill Swancutt DE Oregon State

3) Jamaal Brimmer S UNLV or James Butler S Georgia Tech

4) Marion Barber III RB Minnesota or TA McClendon RB NC State

i would love to see

1) Shawne Merriman OLB Maryland

2) Ernest Shazor S Michigan

3) Ronald Fields DT Mississipi State

4) Darren Sproles RB Kansas State

what i think will happen

1) Troy Williamson WR South Carolina or Roddy White WR UAB

2) Demarcus Ware DE/OLB Troy State or Bill Swancutt DE Oregon State

3) Jamaal Brimmer S UNLV or James Butler S Georgia Tech

4) Marion Barber III RB Minnesota or TA McClendon RB NC State

Maybe it's just me, but I really see Marion Barber III going alot higher than what's been projected of him.

I'll put it this way, He's Rudi with a more fiery personality, oh and of course he won't cost 5+ million a year to get either. :rolleyes:

Yeah -- we'll just agree to disagree.

Spears is a very good athlete and if he played to using his abilities on more plays -- then I'd be with you.

But in the LSU vs Georgia, I still believe that David Pollack was the more dominant and consistent player.

My fear is drafting another "potential" player with good athlete ability -- remember how athletic that Big Daddy was. The combines and bowl games focus on the individual talents. I like players with talent that deliver on the field.

AND, Chris I love the debate -- there are no rights and wrongs. Just different perspectives.

I'm not even a draft guru -- I just do this a hobby to kill time during the winter until I can get back on the golf course.

Thanks for you feedback

B)

SHAWNE MERRIMAN

height 6'4''

weight 245 lbs

speed 4.60

vertical 41 1/2

385 lbs bench on testing day

590 lbs squat on testing day

8.5 sacks (15th in nation)

17 tackles for loss (11th in nation)

LB in NFL

expierience in coverage

only downsides are DE/LB tweener and he needs to work on technique

Of all the D-line prospects likely to be available at #17 -- Marcus Spears, Shaun Cody, David Pollack, Dan Cody, Matt Roth, and Antaj Hawthorne -- I'd say Spears goes the highest because he should have the greatest versatility to go DE or DT and his feet, balance, and ball awareness are better than the others. He's just the most athletic of the 6.

Travis Johnson is the best DT prospect in draft IMO but I'm doubting he's still there at #17.

But Shawne Merriman and Channing Crowder seem like the best availables at #17. Both are early entries w/ risks, especially w/ Crowder and his head case. Merriman would proly start at SSLB if drafted by the Bengals. Of all the DE/LB tweeners, he's seems best suited to make the transition to NFL because he is experienced in coverage, has great strength for playing in traffic, and if his 4.6 holds up, he'll be faster than most of the strong safeties on the board.

The main question once again w/ Bengals draft is if the pick's going to be offensive or defensive. There seemed to be better prospects for a pick on D last year than this but at least the Bengals now have Chris Perry :rolleyes: