Cap Note That May Interest Only Me

HoosierCat

Happened across this story about the Rams today...

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...tacle+for+Rams+

This part caught my eye:

As things stand, the Rams have six players under contract who count $4.5 million or higher against the cap in 2005:

(names snipped)

Combined, those six players account for $38.68 million of 2005 cap space. That's a lot of money for a handful of players. Only four teams in the NFL have more than six players under contract who count $4.5 million or more against the cap in 2005: Cleveland, Kansas City, Pittsburgh and Tennessee have seven apiece. (The league average is four such players per team.)

Hmmmm...interesting. And hard to argue that giving out all those big deals benefitted those teams; only Pitt made the playoffs. But, I wondered, how do the Bengals stack up vs. the league average for big-contract players? So I went to bengalsjungle.com & checked the salary lists there for guys who counted $4.5 million or more against the cap. Total: zero.

Our most expensive player is Big Willie, who will count about $4.1 million vs. the cap in 2005 if the site's numbers are accurate. Justin Smith is No. 2 at $3.6 million.

Now, before the cries about the cheap-a$$ Bengals start, that's for this year so far. As of 2006, the number of $4.5 million-plus players jumps from 0 to 3: Chad $4.8 million, Carson $4.8 million, and Big Willie hits the big 5-0. (And Hardy, if he's still around, is scheduled to be at $4.2 million). Notably, two of those deals, Carson's and Chad's, have come on Marvin's watch (three if you count Hardy).

Just another example of how things are, indeed, changing.

Yea, a lot of the contracts, with large signing bonuses, are backloaded to make the majority of their money towards the termination of the contract. My question is the state of this team after the next four or so years and if this team's charactor, chemistry, and maturity grows so much we have a lot of good players not feeling selfish about their services. Of course, they are going to draft for depth also to replace players that find greener pastures, but I'm curious if this team has the unity to displace greed, if only for 5 Super Bowl runs.

ya im done with the whole leadership and he went to a superbowl excuse for hardy. its time to move on and let our younger, faster, linebackers get their shot. or like i said in a past thread, restructure his contract alot and make him a 3rd down pass rusher.

I think Hardy's gone before next season honestly.

What an overpaid player. Not a very good signing by Marvin, I think at the time he was just desperate to replace Spikes and save face.

I still think they need to draft a LB on the first day as well as a DE/DT.

Wouldn't it be great of Derrick Johnson out of Texas fell to us. Maybe we'll release Hardy, then move up in the draft and go after Johnson...That'd be great of we could somehow get him...

Updated cap figures from askthecommish.com...

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp

They put us at $4 million under the projected $85 million cap, which jibes with what Marvin said a couple weeks ago. Does not, I believe, include the $9-10 million worth of dead money that goes away for '05. But re-signing Rudi, TJ, and Braham, plus a half-dozen tender offers for our RFAs would probably chew that $9-10 million up, and Mikey likes to stay a few million under to have space to replace injured players during the season. So...if the Bengals do keep all their own key FAs, and still want to play in free agency, Hardy is a goner.

Updated cap figures from askthecommish.com...

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp

They put us at $4 million under the projected $85 million cap, which jibes with what Marvin said a couple weeks ago. Does not, I believe, include the $9-10 million worth of dead money that goes away for '05. But re-signing Rudi, TJ, and Braham, plus a half-dozen tender offers for our RFAs would probably chew that $9-10 million up, and Mikey likes to stay a few million under to have space to replace injured players during the season. So...if the Bengals do keep all their own key FAs, and still want to play in free agency, Hardy is a goner.

I don't see Hardy getting cut, yet, even keeping all of our FAs. While it makes sense financially, I believe they'll keep him on board to help Landon on the outside -- if indeed that's the plan.

But if they do, I won't shed a tear. Hardy in 2005, is 3.6 million against the cap and 4.2 mil in 2006. His 4.1 mil signing bonus, prorated over four seasons, only accounts for a little over $1 million so it may help us more to drop him than to keep him -- again, from a financial perspective.

Reggie Kelly needs to go also, that man is worthless.

i think for me he is the easiest one to cut looking at worth vs pay.

same here, but i also think Hardy... he showed me nothing except that he is slow and can't close to the outside edge... WHY IMO Curtis Martin had such a huge day vs us week 1.