Dan Patrick 2pm eastern

Dan Patrick is going to talk about Corey Dillon and see if this is the same guy in New England now that was in Cincinnati. It could be a former/current Bengal or Coach. He wouldn't say. Could it be TJ? Lebeau? Lorenzo Neal? Boomer Esiason? Willie Anderson? I'll find out and update this post.

Patrick teased the segment by saying Dillon was a bad guy in Cincy.... :player:

A lot of the same from Daugherty, the one thing that did stand out to me was that Dillon would wear other teams hats to meetings. Once he showed up with a Steelers hat on. Coach Lewis asked him if Corey was trying to tell him something, and Dillon replied with "take it as you want.."

I loved this guy for years, hung out with him in Anaheim when he was on our show, and he was totally cool. In fact He took a prop I made for the show back home with him. It really sucks when your heros turn out to be punks man.... <_<

Who-Dey, and if you can't get with that then take your s@&$ somewhere else, cause this train is stopping in Detroit next January! :player: :player: :player:

A lot of the same from Daugherty, the one thing that did stand out to me was that Dillon would wear other teams hats to meetings. Once he showed up with a Steelers hat on. Coach Lewis asked him if Corey was trying to tell him something, and Dillon replied with "take it as you want.."

I loved this guy for years, hung out with him in Anaheim when he was on our show, and he was totally cool. In fact He took a prop I made for the show back home with him. It really sucks when your heros turn out to be punks man.... <_<

Who-Dey, and if you can't get with that then take your s@&$ somewhere else, cause this train is stopping in Detroit next January! :player: :player: :player:

You people had your chance to let this subject die. You obviously don't want it to.

If he was cool then, he's probably cool now. He just had an episode while he was stuck in the nasty 'Nati. I'm not trying to meet the guy, but if I met him and the experience was pleasant, that's what I'd put stock in, not this show-biz nonsense.

In the field in which I labor in obscurity, I've worked with a national or international figure or two with an outwardly abrasive demeanor. People resent the things they say and do, but I've found that if you're not too up-tight, a lot of those people are ultimately more pleasant to do business with than the mealy-mouthed fourflushers that are always grinning in your face and saying the "right" thing.

Dillon threw his gear into the stands - a silly thing to do, but so what? Dillon said he'd rather flip burgers than return to the Bengals - negotiation talk - he signed (which I think was a mistake) - next. Dillon refused to go back in a game - now THAT'S bad. Dillon had some sordid moments in his personal life and was late to a game on account of one of them - again, not so good, but he was no Reggie Rembert. Dillon saw himself in the twighlight of his career and wanted a ring more than a role in a rebuilding project, and he's on his way to getting his wish - good for him. Dillon called Willie Anderson a 'bum' and threatened to knock his teeth out in the heat of a personal argument - I find that amusing, I'll bet the gargantuan good ol' boy didn't expect that one.

As for Dillon "dissing" the team - maybe so, but it's a big league and teams get dissed. Get over it. As for him "dissing" the city - most of you don't live in the city anyway. So what are you crying about? And, like my wife said just this morning, if you're one of the people that actually has to deal with this city and what it's about, you realize that it needs to be "dissed."

Man this is fun. :lol:

And they try to blame me for keeping this subject alive.

Then quit trying to defend the sack of s**t.

As for Dillon "dissing" the team - maybe so, but it's a big league and teams get dissed. Get over it. As for him "dissing" the city - most of you don't live in the city anyway. So what are you crying about? And, like my wife said just this morning, if you're one of the people that actually has to deal with this city and what it's about, you realize that it needs to be "dissed."

I don't know what the city is "about" but your free to leave at anytime.

Like I've said before, you can't be a Bengals fan and a Corey Dillon fan. Why does there always have to be a member of the Dillon sword swallows club on here trying to defend him? :rolleyes:

I've been posting here for awhile and I still don't even know if you are even a bengals fan Tubthumper, It's almost like your a fan of another team and everything you post about the bengals always seems sarcastic. What gives, man.

Also, just out of curiousity, what was Dan's take on the situation?

Dan made it sound like it is just a matter of time before he Dillon reverts to form...and Daugherty sort of agreed

<_< Not that Daugherty has a lot of room to talk. Too bad we couldn't have made a package deal that included him with Dillon and sent them both to Boston ... or Foxboro or where ever the hell they're at.

As for the city itself, I think it fantastic. From Vine ST. to Calhoun ... from downtown to Clifton ... and beyond.

It's been my experience that people who continue living in cities they dislike severly lack the skills required to provide better options.

But back to Corey. One thing that kept being brought up on the Dan Patrick show is that Dillons outbursts were almost always decidely negative, usually unprovoked, and were uttered by a player who consistently showed complete disdain for any role involving team leadership. Dillon's past history was then weighed against those of other players also said to be walking distractions like Randy Moss and Terrell Owens. Moss was said to be a pretty important team leader behind the scenes and loath to make remarks openly critical of the Vikings. Owens was also said to be a willing team leader whose outbursts, with the exception of his final season in San Francisco, were said to be little more than harmless self promotion of the incredibly goofy variety. And not to be ignored was the opinion that Moss and Owens represent elite players that thriving offenses can be built around. In contrast, Dillon proved to be a player whose caustic personality and limited overall impact dictated he should never have been considered as the core building block. As a complimentary player who isn't required to assume a leadership OR media role his prickish personality becomes a complete non-factor.

Last, Daugherty could be heard stating that part of him would be happy for Dillon if he won a championship and even offered an excuse for Dillon's past history of stupidity by pointing out that the only team leaders a young Corey Dillon had to look up to while in Cincy were other bad apples who were actively engaged in their own efforts to get out of town or players content to do the bare minimum required to stay while cashing checks. He closed by claiming that Marvin never had a chance to reach Dillon due to Dillons refusal to give anything Bengal another chance...pointing out that Dillon's last season in Cincy was little more than one needless negative outburst after another.

Dan made it sound like it is just a matter of time before he Dillon reverts to form...and Daugherty sort of agreed

I thought the point Daugherty was trying to make was that the more the story being written involves Corey Dillon the more likely it was that things would get ugly. Obviously, the Patriots aren't the Bengals, and Corey Dillon isn't the story in New England. After all, that team won multiple championships with a very marginal running game and they just proved they can still win blowout games against 15-1 playoff teams while getting very little production from Dillon. So as long as they can keep Dillon just one of the guys...and protected from the media...it's possible he'll never resemble the bad actor most of us became bored with.

I don't necessarily think that Dillon is wrong in feeling slighted because of the way that the Bengals were being run in his time with them. He was a good player, they were a poorly-managed team, and I can see where he had trouble buying into what Marvin was selling, since it was probably the same thing that he had heard a million times before.

The problem I have is the same problem that many of us have: If he hated his situation so much, he should have left and tried to put that part of his career behind him...unfortunately, that is not the case. Dillon is too much of a me-first player and a jackass to let the past go...instead, he feels the need to constantly let everyone know how hard it was FOR HIM, how much it sucked FOR HIM, how it doesn't matter if they ever right the ship because they couldn't do it FOR HIM. He shouldn't care about the Bengals now, but apparently he does, and he will take every opportunity to crap all over them when they finally have a winning season and make the playoffs (2005). He wants to talk up his accomplishments and talk theirs down at the same time, and that is why many of us have a problem with him.

But, as many have done before, I am done with the whole thing. I don't want to hear about Corey Dillon anymore...he's not a Bengal, and, if you hear him tell the story, he never wanted to be. I only have ill will towards him because I love my team, and I would feel the same way about any player who talked like that about my team.

BN1281

Corey Dillon was one of the greatest bengal players ever, a future hall of famer, and one of the top 3 RBs in the NFL right now. Add to that hes about to win a super bowl. Did everyone enjoy all 8 of our wins this year?

More than I enjoyed the 7-, 3-, 4-, 4-, 6-, 2-, and 8-win seasons we had while "the greatest bengal players ever, a future hall of famer, and one of the top 3 RBs in the NFL right now" was a Bengal. :rolleyes:

I don't necessarily think that Dillon is wrong in feeling slighted because of the way that the Bengals were being run in his time with them. He was a good player, they were a poorly-managed team, and I can see where he had trouble buying into what Marvin was selling, since it was probably the same thing that he had heard a million times before.

The problem I have is the same problem that many of us have: If he hated his situation so much, he should have left and tried to put that part of his career behind him...unfortunately, that is not the case. Dillon is too much of a me-first player and a jackass to let the past go...instead, he feels the need to constantly let everyone know how hard it was FOR HIM, how much it sucked FOR HIM, how it doesn't matter if they ever right the ship because they couldn't do it FOR HIM. He shouldn't care about the Bengals now, but apparently he does, and he will take every opportunity to crap all over them when they finally have a winning season and make the playoffs (2005). He wants to talk up his accomplishments and talk theirs down at the same time, and that is why many of us have a problem with him.

But, as many have done before, I am done with the whole thing. I don't want to hear about Corey Dillon anymore...he's not a Bengal, and, if you hear him tell the story, he never wanted to be. I only have ill will towards him because I love my team, and I would feel the same way about any player who talked like that about my team.

BN1281

The first paragraph makes sense. Does it occur to anyone that he talks about it because people ask him? It's a good story outside of Cincinnati.

And they try to blame me for keeping this subject alive.

Then quit trying to defend the sack of s**t.

Like I've said before, you can't be a Bengals fan and a Corey Dillon fan. Why does there always have to be a member of the Dillon sword swallows club on here trying to defend him? :rolleyes:

Why can't you be a Bengals fan and a Corey Dillon fan? What kind of rule book are you consulting? Rabid fans aren't always good fans.

You're right about one thing, I'm free to leave at any time, which is what I will be doing fairly soon.

Does it occur to anyone that he talks about it because people ask him?

Of course. Not only is it a "good story," it is as I noted elsewhere an archetypal one. Writers and readers alike are drawn to it like moths to flames. The problem isn't that the story is being told, it's what story is being told. Increasingly, the spin is becoming that CD's woes in Cincy were 100% the Bengals' fault; Corey was just some poor, trapped saint waiting to be freed. But anyone who followed CD's career with the Bengals knows that simply isn't the case.

Which is why Daughtery's point, as passed along by Hair, that the more the story is about CD, the more likely it becomes that things will turn ugly, is more of a cautionary note than anything else. The media are now turning CD into a saint. If he acts up, they won't hesitate to re-brand him a sinner.

Corey Dillon was one of the greatest bengal players ever, a future hall of famer, and one of the top 3 RBs in the NFL right now. Add to that hes about to win a super bowl. Did everyone enjoy all 8 of our wins this year?

B) I sure's hell did ......... Didn't you ???? If not ... how come ?????

My favorite wins were the prime times Miami and Denver, and of course the win @ B'more.

Already looking forward to More wins next year ..................... Aren't you ????? :huh:

B) I sure's hell did ......... Didn't you ???? If not ... how come ?????

My favorite wins were the prime times Miami and Denver, and of course the win @ B'more.

Already looking forward to More wins next year ..................... Aren't you ????? :huh:

I personally loved the 8 wins. I also loved the 8 wins in 2003. I will certainly love the 10 or 11 wins that we get next year (unless we get 12, which I would also love).

You know what I didn't love? the 2-14 season in Corey's last full, healthy season as a Bengal. That was mildly depressing.

BN1281

and one of the top 3 RBs in the NFL right now.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

you're really digging now. no way he's a top 3. in no specific order, rbs better than dillon: shaun alexander, edgerrin, ladanian tomlinson, curtis martin, jamal lewis, priest holmes, hell you could make the case that tiki barber is better than him, same with portis.

Huh? The only RB who was better then Dillon this year, was Curtis Martin. We arent talking about the past right now, we are talking about right now, and right now dillon is top 3.

Corey Dillon also had the most yards per game of any RB. Had he not missed the 1 game due to injury he probly would of beat Martin for the rushing title.

Once he showed up with a Steelers hat on. Coach Lewis asked him if Corey was trying to tell him something, and Dillon replied with "take it as you want.." 

That says it all for me right there. I don't care how "disgruntled" you are...doing that is a slap in the face to your team-mates. Don't insult they guys who are busting their a$$es right along with you. If he wanted out so badly (and he had a right to) then he should have talked to Marvin, or whoever the hell else would listen to him instead of parading around like a spoiled kid in a Steeler's hat. Allot of those guys suffered the same hell as he did for years. Why is he better than any of them?

You're right about one thing, I'm free to leave at any time, which is what I will be doing fairly soon.

;) Idle curiosity and nothing more ....... Where will you be headed to ???

Don't know yet. It won't be immediate. My wife is working on her masters. We plan on leaving after she's done. She's from the Chicago area - she doesn't necessarilly want to go back there, but she doesn't want to stay here, and neither do I. Neither of us have any illusions that there's a Shangrila out there, but it's definitely time to organize ourselves to move on, so we've begun the process.