Shaun Alexander

WHO DEY AGAIN?

i dont agree billy. there were holes. what u want the oline to do, hold the holes for 5 seconds? He needs to hit them right away when they get them instead of trying to think and stutter. hes terrible 50% of his runs at least.

and as far as the 3 and 1's. we need to address the center position. also andrews will help next year. u know hes gonna be ready.

Well, most of the time Rudi does his little backfield dance it's because the hole that was supposed to be there wasn't. Someone like Alexander isn't going to be able to do much better. We had Dillon here for year, and he's a lot more like Alexander than Rudi is. How many 2,000 yards seasons did he get?

The o-line's blocking is just too inconsistent, it has been for years due to neglect of the interior (letting Braham age without grooming a replacement, for instance, and settling for sweeping up other teams' trash, like Matt O'Dwyer) as well as trying to get new guys on the cheap (remember ol' Screen Door Jones on the left side before Levi?). The selections of Levi and Steinbach were steps in the right direction, and Stacey Andrews is a promising young player to groom behind Willie. But Braham is getting to the age where staying healthy is a problem, Williams is another in a long line of stopgaps, and as Shula pointed out elsewhere Steinbach struggled this year to come back from elbow surgery and was not as effective pulling as he was in 2003.

Rebuild the line; get us a good C, and good RG, and some quality depth to offset the inevitable injuries. Then we won't need Rudi, Alexander, or any other bazillion-dollar back. We'll be able to pull some guy from the stands, stick a jersey on him, and make him a thousand-yard rusher.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care if my farkin' grandmother is in the backfield, if we win games, then the hell with who's back there. As fans, we've come to want superstars rather than winning teams because, let's face it, that's all we had. I don't care who plays where, if we win more than 8 games and make the playoffs, it will be the best season for a LONG TIME -- w/ G-ma carrying the ROCK!

Wow! A guy makes one negative comment in his WHOLE career and suddenly he's a cancer. I can't believe someone even compared him to Dillon. Some of you clowns need to wake up! The guy has done more for people in one day than Dillon has ever done for anybody. Do you guys actually think before you type? :rolleyes:

Yes, and his charitable mindset really wanted to get a team win rather than a rushing title. :huh:

He made the comment AFTER they just won the game to clinch the division title and ensure one home-field game. If he made a negative comment during week 2, then fine, it happens, everyone speaks with their foot in their mouths. But c'mon, his team just made the playoffs and the first thing he says is he got stabbed in the back? :lol::lol:

Oh well, he apologized so I'm guessing the wedding between Holmgren and unemployment is back on -- after they lose in the playoffs.

Wow! A guy makes one negative comment in his WHOLE career and suddenly he's a cancer. I can't believe someone even compared him to Dillon. Some of you clowns need to wake up! The guy has done more for people in one day than Dillon has ever done for anybody. Do you guys actually think before you type? :rolleyes:

Yes, and his charitable mindset really wanted to get a team win rather than a rushing title. :huh:

He made the comment AFTER they just won the game to clinch the division title and ensure one home-field game. If he made a negative comment during week 2, then fine, it happens, everyone speaks with their foot in their mouths. But c'mon, his team just made the playoffs and the first thing he says is he got stabbed in the back? :lol::lol:

Oh well, he apologized so I'm guessing the wedding between Holmgren and unemployment is back on -- after they lose in the playoffs.

People around here make way too much of personalities and things that people say in the heat of the moment - or in the heat of negotiations. I guess some people like to "mark out" on the "angles" like professional wrestling fans. As much as the NFL would like to pretend the game is squeaky-clean and played by a bunch of bulked-up choirboys we all know that's not the case. I don't care what these guys say, I'm in it to see football. Nevertheless, fan reaction, even in its silliest elements, is something I'd factor into Rudi Johnson's price-tag.

I'm not impressed with Johnson's cut-back ability, and I still find his ability to move the pile suspect. I also think that running backs are staple items that aren't all that hard to replace, and the difference between a good and a great running back doesn't always correlate with the difference in won-lost records in the NFL. But, Rudi's durability and ability to carry the basic load is a saleable feature. The results may not be spectacular, but you know the job is covered - he reminds me of a bigger Wilbert Montgomery.

So you've got a basic 3-4 yard a carry bread-and-butter back that you can give the ball enough to quietly break team rushing records. Add to that his locker-room magic and "aw shucks, I just wanna play ball" fan appeal, and you've got a combination of above-average functionality and genuine box-office and merchandising appeal. In this business, that's worth some money. So after thinking about it, I say sign Rudi - this is show business after all.

Well I guess he's human. I just hope on my worst day I can be just a little selfish. The guy has been a class act his whole life and if this is his worst moment, then he'll be fine. You have to give him credit for his public apology. If he was such a cancer that would have never happened.

After years of Picken's and Dillon you guys sure are a tough crowd. :rolleyes:

The Rudi situation will obviously be a bone of contention and touchy nerves until something is done one way or another.

As for Alexander, he's a great back w/ cuts and receiving skills that Rudi will never have, but I'm not sure why the idea of him coming to Cincy is giving me a Griffey, Jr. vibe.  :unsure:

Meanwhile, I'm hoping the Bengals don't have to up their tender to keep Watson, who is a RFA.

Hmm let'slook at the similarities:

- Griffey came from Seattle and so would Alexander.

- Both home town boys.

- Both are super stars.

- Both have glistening smiles and a squeaky clean reputation.

- Both are fan favorites.

Ahh the more I think about it the more Alexander does resemble Griffey. Although what has happened to Griffey is far less likely to happen in the NFL, I think.

I'm not impressed with Johnson's cut-back ability, and I still find his ability to move the pile suspect. I also think that running backs are staple items that aren't all that hard to replace, and the difference between a good and a great running back doesn't always correlate with the difference in won-lost records in the NFL. But, Rudi's durability and ability to carry the basic load is a saleable feature. The results may not be spectacular, but you know the job is covered - he reminds me of a bigger Wilbert Montgomery.

So you've got a basic 3-4 yard a carry bread-and-butter back that you can give the ball enough to quietly break team rushing records. Add to that his locker-room magic and "aw shucks, I just wanna play ball" fan appeal, and you've got a combination of above-average functionality and genuine box-office and merchandising appeal. In this business, that's worth some money. So after thinking about it, I say sign Rudi - this is show business after all.

I agree with you regarding Rudi, and it appears the Bengals have come to a similar conclusion regarding signing him. Today's enquirer reports that Rudi's agent, Peter Schaffer, was supposed to fly in to Cincy "begin face-to-face negotiations with Bengals officials today."

My bet is they're just going to say, look the franchise tag is $5.2 million, we're going to tag him if we don't get a deal, so let's work out something long-term at that number.

So unless they can't strike a deal and someone agrees to pay us the price in draft picks during free agency (snowball's chance in hell), it seems certain Rudi will be back.

Take your analysis Thumper (which by the way is a good one) and factor in that you already have a franchise QB and WR, so that 4 yd avg and durability become even more important at that position

Good point. And bolstering the line will help even more. Rudi may not improvise much, but he knows how to follow blockers and can be explosive if there's enough push up front.