PDub on Bengals.com

redsfan2

Great article on interview with Warrick. Gist of it is that he's happy for TJ's success and doesn't know what they ( management I assume ) have in mind BUT " I don't see myself as a #3 guy. I'm a #1 or a #2, but I won't be a #3."

I see his point, but I think it's a bit premature. First they have to get TJ re signed. Seems PDub thinks that's a foregone conclusion, but ... maybe .... mabe not. Secondly if he's a #1 or #2, then he'll be given every opportunity to show that before next season begins.

Sounds like he's laying the groundwork to go elsewhere. Someone had noted last season that he was interested in playing in Florida. That would make sense on his part, but I guess we'll have to wait and see how it shakes out.

Don't assume too much just yet. TJ is good, but I think Warrick is better.

You'd probably get a 50 / 50 split on that one. B)

Don't know how many times I've read what an underachiever he is on this site .... as well as in the newspaper.

I think he's like a lot of guys ..... not as good as the folks who like him make him out to be ..... and not as bad as his detractors would have you think either.

I'll be interested in seeing #1 if he accepts the challenge ( if TJ is re signed ) and #2 how well he is able to do after coming off the injury. Would he be able to beat out TJ for the #2 spot ???????? It would definitely make for some good competition .... which is playing right into Lewis' game plan for the team. " Everybody earns his spot every week."

I'm still out of the loop so to say, however, TJ will get resigned and PDub is in his contract year. The competition will be great and I think PDub will have another good year. I would love to see all of them on the field for years to come but as PDub said in the interview, "It's a business". Needing the D help we do, anything can happen. I think the key is PDub playing for a new contract, here or somewhere else. Happy New Year !!!

WHODEY !!!

He's right, he's not a #3 WR. I just hope he's back and healthy next year because the Bengals need him and they'll need that depth at WR in case TJ or Chad gets hurt.

Dead on. If you go and restructure your offense around a vertical passing game, you need both good starters and good depth at WR.

This is one of those rare win win situations. Provided ... emphasis on provided that TJ and Rudi both re - up, then Warrick either comes back and takes his number #2 spot ( doubt that he'd take #1 from CJ ) back from TJ or TJ steps up to the plate and keeps PDub in the #3 slot. Either way, Lewis is able to field the In my biased opinion ..... the best receiver combo in the division ..... and on of the top in the entire league.

Again, provided they re sign TJ .... it'll sort itself out .... all we have to do is watch... and it's going to be fun I think B)

Warrick is a much more athletic reciever than TJ. In the open field Warrick makes things happen. Their catching abilities are about equal but, I'm sorry TJ I still love you but you are slow. Also, with Warrick you get a punt returner.

Yards after catch AFC leaders:

name games yac

1 LaDainian Tomlinson SD 15 509

2 Domanick Davis HOU 14 490

3 Andre Johnson HOU 15 480

4 Edgerrin James IND 15 431

5 Brandon Stokley IND 15 414

6 Rod Smith DEN 15 394

7 Hines Ward PIT 15 392

8 Randy McMichael MIA 15 369

9 Tony Gonzalez KC 15 342

10 Antonio Gates SD 15 338

11 Eric Moulds BUF 15 312

12 T.J. Houshmandzadeh CIN 15 310

13 Amos Zereoue OAK 14 307

14 Ronald Curry OAK 12 304

15 Jerald Sowell NYJ 15 298

16 Fred Taylor JAC 14 295

17 Eddie Kennison KC 13 282

18 Drew Bennett TEN 15 277

T-19 Curtis Martin NYJ 15 266

T-19 Derrick Mason TEN 15 266

Yeah, TJ can't do jack after he catches the ball, huh.

Warrick, a punt returner after a potentially career ending knee injury? :lol:

If he comes back, he will never return another punt in his career.

Warrick is a much more athletic reciever than TJ. In the open field Warrick makes things happen. Their catching abilities are about equal but, I'm sorry TJ I still love you but you are slow. Also, with Warrick you get a punt returner.

name games yac

6 Rod Smith DEN 15 394

7 Hines Ward PIT 15 392

Don't know if you actually watch the games or just look at the stats but TJ makes most of his catches in single coverage. It's not that difficult to pick up some extra yardage when you only have to make one guy miss.

Not many people look at the obvious change between last season and this season, which is Palmer. He has the arm to make passes that Kitna doesn't which leads to more yardage which has to go to someone and that someone just happens to be TJ. PLUS, this has already been mentioned but hes also benefiting from teams putting double coverage on Chad. TJs a good receiver and I'm not trying to discredit him but no one doubles their career high receiving yards without some help.

Oh and anyone wanna take a shot at how many TDs TJ has for his career, the number is mind-boggling....not in a good way either.

name games yac

6 Rod Smith DEN 15 394

7 Hines Ward PIT 15 392

Don't know if you actually watch the games or just look at the stats but TJ makes most of his catches in single coverage. It's not that difficult to pick up some extra yardage when you only have to make one guy miss.

Not many people look at the obvious change between last season and this season, which is Palmer. He has the arm to make passes that Kitna doesn't which leads to more yardage which has to go to someone and that someone just happens to be TJ. PLUS, this has already been mentioned but hes also benefiting from teams putting double coverage on Chad. TJs a good receiver and I'm not trying to discredit him but no one doubles their career high receiving yards without some help.

Oh and anyone wanna take a shot at how many TDs TJ has for his career, the number is mind-boggling....not in a good way either.

Our offense was awful at the beginning of the year.

Warrick sure as hell wasn't double covered very much last year either.

Warrick was a bust up until last year, and coincidentally that was when Chad Johnson had a breakout year. It looks like Chad helps all of the #2 WR's, just like on ANY OTHER team with a superstar WR.

TJ > Warrick now.

Oh yeah, Kitna threw for over 700 yards more last year than Palmer did this season. Obviously that is due to Palmer missing the last 3 games.

We are on the brink of having 2 WR's with over 1000 yards receiving for the first time ever, but yet the #2 guy who has 1000 yards receiving isn't better than our old #2 who has had over 800 yards receiving once in his career after being a first round pick?

And yes I do watch the games, and I saw the catch that TJ made in double coverage against the giants last week. Not to mention several others that I have seen this season.

Good point, and even though I still want him, how much do you pay Rudi with a QB and core of recievers like that :player: If the oline can hold we'll just score 50 every game and not even worry about D :P

Unfortunately, championships are won with ball control and defense. While having the luxury of 4 good receivers is nice, when the weather is crappy or you have a lead, it would be nice to hand the ball off 20 times in the 4th quarter.

Good point, and even though I still want him, how much do you pay Rudi with a QB and core of recievers like that :player: If the oline can hold we'll just score 50 every game and not even worry about D :P

Unfortunately, championships are won with ball control and defense. While having the luxury of 4 good receivers is nice, when the weather is crappy or you have a lead, it would be nice to hand the ball off 20 times in the 4th quarter.

B) very true. In Fouts' heyday with the Chargers, their whole game plan was predicated on winning the coin toss and getting the ball so they could score ........ Part II was to have the ball last as well because they had absolutely no defense what so ever ....... They also never won a championship either.

On the other hand, at one point if the Bears won a game by say 16 to 6 ..... You could almost bet that the defense could be credited with 10 of those points. and of course they did win the championship.

Can't argue this point a bit. However ..... the reason that TJ was only dealing with single coverage so often was due to the fact that CJ was in dbl coverage.

Point is that TJ was making them pay for doubling up on CJ and doing it consistently. That's huge because it not only takes the heat off CJ but Palmer as well.

Now if we could only work a tight end into the offense B)

B) very true. In Fouts' heyday with the Chargers, their whole game plan was predicated on winning the coin toss and getting the ball so they could score ........ Part II was to have the ball last as well because they had absolutely no defense what so ever .......

And to quote a certain Blue Collar Comedy Tour comedian, "there's your sign." Chargers never won "in the day" because they had no D to back the best O in the business. Well, we got that kind of O bubblin' again...what we need is to concoct a D. I'm really not worried about the run game -- those Charger teams did their thing on O with and without 1,000+ yard backs. What they could not do was stop the other guys. If you're the Bengals looking at what you need to do to get to the next level (and let's not forget that both Brat and Zampese are out of the Don Coryell school) that has to weight heavily on your decision-making this offseason.

B) very true. In Fouts' heyday with the Chargers, their whole game plan was predicated on winning the coin toss and getting the ball so they could score ........ Part II was to have the ball last as well because they had absolutely no defense what so ever .......

And to quote a certain Blue Collar Comedy Tour comedian, "there's your sign." Chargers never won "in the day" because they had no D to back the best O in the business. Well, we got that kind of O bubblin' again...what we need is to concoct a D. I'm really not worried about the run game -- those Charger teams did their thing on O with and without 1,000+ yard backs. What they could not do was stop the other guys. If you're the Bengals looking at what you need to do to get to the next level (and let's not forget that both Brat and Zampese are out of the Don Coryell school) that has to weight heavily on your decision-making this offseason.

" Air Coryell " B) They were fun to watch I have to admit.

:huh: Not much of a cold weather team as I remember tho. B)