Sigh...It's Kitna vs. Philly

HoosierCat

You really are quick as a cat Joisey, you just beat me!!!

Heck, we're both slow...Hobson posted the news at 3:55.

He's updated it to include some news on Philly...I'm starting to think that the first 22 fans through the turnstyles Sunday will get a chance to start!

Anyone who is questionable or worse on the Eagles' injury list doesn't look they'll play. That includes Pro Bowl cornerback Lito Sheppard, starting tight end Chad Lewis and starting right guard Jermane Mayberry, and backup defensive tackle Hollis Thomas.

With running back Brian Westbrook not expected to play and backup Dorsey Levens not expected to play very much, Eric McCoo, just activated off the practice squad, is expected to make his NFL debut. A 2002 free agent out of Penn State, McCoo is the guy who nosed out former Bengal Skip Hicks for the NFL Europe rushing title.

I hope Rudi totes it 35 times and shatters the record. Of course some posters will think he is one diminsional and will need to be replaced next year! :rolleyes:

If Kitna can keep his personal turnovers under 2 then the Bengals cruise. I hope Carson gets a second opinion on his knee. I would hate to see him end up like Perry or Warrick.

Well that's it, it's official. If Kitna can start three games this year than I think I can make it on the depth chart nest year, see you in training camp boys! :lol:

Since my last name is johnson I should be awarded a starting spot on my last name alone! ;)

I laughed my ass off at that f**ker Kitna when he said "he thought he could get a starting job". I dont think the Cards would want his ass. I look for Bramlet to be #2 string, and some draft out of college to be #3 string. Rudi and TJ is staying, hopefully they Bengals fill the d-fense gap. They need to get read of the drunk ass Justin Smith. He does little every game, and is getting money for it. The o-line needs a better center.

I have the last name Francis, you dont see me getting any shares of Girls Gone Wild. Joe Francis could be my long lost cousin.

I think its absolutely hilarious that half of this board as well as the city was screaming for Kitna every time Palmer threw an interception. Now he's not worth a dam and couldn't even be traded because no one would take him.

Sorry folks, but this is the same Jon Kitna that won those games last year ... got us to 8 and 8 and was the comeback player of the year. He also had a big role in developing the qb that everybody loves ... all of a sudden. Anybody who thinks that Kitna couldn't get a job as a starter just hasn't been paying attention to the rest of the NFL.

Talk to the folks in Miami, Chicago, or Cleveland and see how quick they snatch him up. Clevelands qb's can't tell the difference between their helmets and the Ravens, so they keep throwing to the wrong guy. Chicago ???? Hired Jeff George for chrisssake ! You don't Need to say anything else about their qb situation. Jeezus .... Jeff George isn't even allowed in any other city that has an NFL franchise unless he's traveling with his team. I can't believe that the institution he was in let him out early. If we packaged a deal to the Dolphins of Kitna and Rudi, we could probably get their entire draft this year as well as daily blowjobs for the entire coaching staff at Fountain Square for the entire pre season.

I personally would like to see both of them stay as long as its not a detriment to the team to do it. If we can't get a good deal done with Rudi, then he needs to go. If somebody calls us with a killer deal for Kitna then we need to take it and use the money on the defense. As much as I like them both, no one is indispensable.

As for Justin Smith .......... want more production out of him ???? Put better people with him so he's not double teamed all the dam time. Everybody knew when we drafted this guy that he wasn't physically big enough to fight off the double team. He still isn't and DC's prep for him that way because they can get away with it. He can still handle anybody one on one which is why he's got 6 and a half sacks this year. I don't know about the rest of you, but I like seeing him running down Jamal Lewis and Shaun Alexander behind the line of scrimmage. :player:

I think its absolutely hilarious that half of this board as well as the city was screaming for Kitna every time Palmer threw an interception. Now he's not worth a dam and couldn't even be traded because no one would take him.

Sorry folks, but this is the same Jon Kitna that won those games last year ... got us to 8 and 8 and was the comeback player of the year. He also had a big role in developing the qb that everybody loves ... all of a sudden. Anybody who thinks that Kitna couldn't get a job as a starter just hasn't been paying attention to the rest of the NFL.

Just for the record, I was one of those defending the decision to start Palmer over Kitna. As to whether Kit could get a starting job elsewhere, I'm far less certain of that than you seem to be.

For one think, Jon's no spring chicken. He'll be 33 next September, so he isn't going to be a long-term answer for anyone. Moreover, he hasn't shown any particular ability to come in to a new team cold and be successful; it took him until his third year here to hit his stride.

And that stride wasn't exactly a blazing gallop. He was, as you note, 8-8 last year. What does it say that a 2nd year rookie comes in the following year for his first snaps, and goes 6-6 in the 12 complete games he has?

Finally, for teams looking for QBs, there are likely to be other, arguably better, options. It's hard to see the Chargers keeping both Brees and Rivers. Kurt Warner will also be available. And there will inevitably be a couple top QBs in the draft.

I just don't see Jon on anyone's list.

Just for the record, I was one of those defending the decision to start Palmer over Kitna. As to whether Kit could get a starting job elsewhere, I'm far less certain of that than you seem to be.

For one think, Jon's no spring chicken. He'll be 33 next September, so he isn't going to be a long-term answer for anyone. Moreover, he hasn't shown any particular ability to come in to a new team cold and be successful; it took him until his third year here to hit his stride.

And that stride wasn't exactly a blazing gallop. He was, as you note, 8-8 last year. What does it say that a 2nd year rookie comes in the following year for his first snaps, and goes 6-6 in the 12 complete games he has?

Finally, for teams looking for QBs, there are likely to be other, arguably better, options. It's hard to see the Chargers keeping both Brees and Rivers. Kurt Warner will also be available. And there will inevitably be a couple top QBs in the draft.

I just don't see Jon on anyone's list.

B) Yeah .... I know. There are several posters here that I read closely and you are one of them, so I know your position on Palmer as well as on several other topics. Obviously you weren't among the half the board that I was referring to.

Your other points are well taken, but I remain convinced that Kitna would have no problem getting a job in the NFL as a starter. Brees and Warner are both likely to be looking for jobs, and throw Kitna in there for the sake of argument and you have three. Now the three teams I named were off the top of my head because they are the most obvious. Denver isn't exactly wild about their qb ditto for the Raiders ...... and I'm sure ( knowing you ) that you could throw in a couple as well. Point is that there are enough Good qb's getting all the coverage that it masks the fact that there are just as many teams out there that are having quarterback woes.

It's kind of hard to judge what Kitna could have done because of the musical quarterbacks theory that was expounded by professor LeBeau. You have to remember that by the time the carousel was slowing down and Kina was doing a good job .... that the season was all but over. With that in mind, the slow starter tag ( while well taken ) may be overstated.

While you and I have both been proponents of starting Palmer, we've also agreed in the past that Kitnas qualities ( knowledge of the game .. leadership skills ... and locker room presence ) would make him a welcome addition to a lot of teams. Our only point of contention seems to be whether that would be as a starter or a back up. Fair enough .... as a back up, I think the field is pretty much wide open for him. As a starter, the market isn't going to be as large .... but its still there.

As to 33. He's a young ... injury free 33. He hasn't had so many concussions that he has to write his own address on his wrist band ( just in case ), and he was the only starter in the league last year to take every snap of the season.

Warner will get a job ... even tho I think the Giants are screwing up. Brees if he comes available will get one as well ....and there will still be somebody who wants Kitna. Hell Parcells would probably beat the Bills in the Super Bowl with Kitna at quarterback and Emmit Smith at running back B) .

I won't lie. When I was frustrated and Palmer choked in them 4 games I was screaming that he wasn't ready. I'm convinced now that Palmer is a star! It would make absolutely no sense to put Palmer in this game. I can't wait for next year, and I think Marvin is doing an absolutely unbelievable job building this team. What's funny is that Marvin is building this team on both sides of the ball. Billick can't get his offense on track and Dungy can't get his defense on track, but you can tell with this years draft that the D is coming along and another solid draft this team will be stacked from top to bottom.

Your other points are well taken, but I remain convinced that Kitna would have no problem getting a job in the NFL as a starter. Brees and Warner are both likely to be looking for jobs, and throw Kitna in there for the sake of argument and you have three. Now the three teams I named were off the top of my head because they are the most obvious. Denver isn't exactly wild about their qb ditto for the Raiders ...... and I'm sure ( knowing you ) that you could throw in a couple as well. Point is that there are enough Good qb's getting all the coverage that it masks the fact that there are just as many teams out there that are having quarterback woes.

Oh, no doubt. Arizona is making LeBeau's QB competition concept look quaint and under-manned :lol:, the Niners have nobody, and you could probably throw Tampa and Carolina into the mix. You're probably right that someone would hire Kitna were he to shake free...but as I said I think he'd likely end up in the same boat as he was in Cincy: caretaker QB for a year or two while some high draft pick gets up to speed.

At this point, the real question (at least for us Bengals fans) is, do we let Kitna go? Certainly restructuring is an option, but if that doesn't work out, do we let him go and count on Bramlet (or sign some other journeyman QB)? With Palmer apparently on his way, I'm more willing to explore other options. The Bengals did shop Kit around last offseason and found no takers.,..but maybe there'd be more willing partners this year? :unsure:

Oh, no doubt. Arizona is making LeBeau's QB competition concept look quaint and under-manned :lol:, the Niners have nobody, and you could probably throw Tampa and Carolina into the mix. You're probably right that someone would hire Kitna were he to shake free...but as I said I think he'd likely end up in the same boat as he was in Cincy: caretaker QB for a year or two while some high draft pick gets up to speed.

At this point, the real question (at least for us Bengals fans) is, do we let Kitna go? Certainly restructuring is an option, but if that doesn't work out, do we let him go and count on Bramlet (or sign some other journeyman QB)? With Palmer apparently on his way, I'm more willing to explore other options. The Bengals did shop Kit around last offseason and found no takers.,..but maybe there'd be more willing partners this year? :unsure:

Ok .... now we're definitely on the same page.

You're absolutely correct he would be in basically the same spot as he is here ... with the difference being that he would get to start for a season .... maybe less ... maybe more till ______ ( fill in the rookie of your choice ) is ready to take over ala Palmer. Also as you pointed out .... at 33, that's about the best he's going to do from here on out till he retires.

As to do we let him go ???? Depends on the circumstances. I'd say we'll see how he does against Philly, except that he's really not going to get to play them. His last 2 games haven't provided him with a strong case for a long term back up if the starter goes down. Coming in cold off the bench was probably his best showing. We'll see how Bramlet is coming and if we get any feelers about Kit .... After reading Bengals.com ..... maybe package he and PDub instead of him and Rudi ?????? All three ????????? Hell of deal folks ... step right up and get'em while they last.

Last year .... I know there was talk about the 49ers, but I thought that was it .... and that it was more " what if " than anything else. Is that what you were referring to as shopping Kitna around ???? or were there others as well ????

Now the three teams I named were off the top of my head because they are the most obvious. Denver isn't exactly wild about their qb ditto for the Raiders .

im pretty sure sure plummer just signed a big time extension so forget about denver picking up a qb this year.

;) I don't know .......... if he doesn't make the play offs and plays poorly in the loss there could be repercussions ... extension not withstanding.

If it came to it tho, I think they'd have a harder time moving him than we would Kitna. Just my opinion tho. B)

kitna has this reputation that he cant play in the cold so like i said in another topic send him packing to miami.

Oh ... don't get me wrong. I'm not Advocating " sending Kitna packing " to anywhere. I was really expressing my opinion that ... should it come to that, Kitna wouldn't have any trouble getting a job as a starter with another team ... and then referencing a few teams that weren't as fat in the quarterback department as we are.

Having said that, I also said that I would only like to seem him ( and others under scrutiny ) stay as long as it was not a detriment to the team. We aren't in a position where we can keep a guy on the roster because he's a sentimental favorite. This day and age, not many teams are.

As bad as it sounds, it's " what have you done for me lately " and " bottom line ". Now that's harsh, but Lewis is trying to build a winner from the ground up and he is at least fair about it. That's about as good as it gets these days. And I have to admit that I'd rather see 10 and 6 without Kitna et al than 6 and 10 with them. Just my opinion tho. B)

You need 2 Qb's who can play, so unless the Bengals find someone better than Kitna who can pick up this system right away, I hope they make a strong effort to keep him. He may suck ultimately but he gives them a chance to win every week regardless (see last week). And yes he is a great locker room presence and mentor. From what I understand he and Carson are pretty close due to their religious involvement.

I don't really understand the thought process by some on this board that they have to cut salary and players left and right on offense (Kitna, Rudi, KW, PDub et al..,). The cuts/turnover should come on the 0-line and at TE, and on defense.

The reason this offense is so good is because of these guys.

Mess with the offense and you risk getting a lot worse because the defense is going to take another year or two in order to become solid. The Bengals cannot afford to continually keep turning over proven skill guys like that without replacing them with better players.

You need 2 Qb's who can play, so unless the Bengals find someone better than Kitna who can pick up this system right away, I hope they make a strong effort to keep him.

Well, at this point he's under contract through next season. It's just that he's got a $2 million cap hit, which is pretty hefty for a backup QB. Only about a million of that is bonus so we could pick up some space if he's cut or traded. Myself, I'm neither anxious to see him go nor anxious to see him stay.

I agree that there's plenty of other guys (Hardy, Reggie Kelly, etc.) who ought to be ahead of Kit on the "salary cap cuts" list.

After reading Bengals.com ..... maybe package he and PDub instead of him and Rudi ?????? All three ????????? Hell of deal folks ... step right up and get'em while they last.

That's an interesting package. I'd like to keep P-dub and am in no rush to lose Kit...but the two do seem to have a rapor that would give any offense an instant threat. And that's $3 million+ in cap space for us.

But it would take a pretty good deal to get me to say yes. Maybe if Miami wanted to get rid of some aging bums like Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor...:lol: