Rookie with the biggest impact

bengals200485

I'd say it's a toss-up right now between Madieu Williams and Landon Johnson. Williams is out there putting up numbers equal to or better than the first safety off the board last April, Sean Taylor. That's out-freaking-standing. Johnson has come off the bench because of injury, is playing out of position at MLB, and making it look like he's played there all his life.

Geathers is definitely on the edge of consideration, too. Another game or two with the same kind of numbers and he might not start looking like just our rookie MVP, but the steal of the whole draft!

If you want to broaden the definition of rookie to include those second year guys who didn't play last year, both Palmer and Langston Moore are in the mix as well. Carson hasn't been spectacular, but for the first time since Boomer we have plugged in a young QB and things haven't gone all to hell. And he's learning. Moore had a rough first outing but since then has done a lot more than I thought possible to solidify our porous d-line.

Man, isn't it nice to have so many young kids playing well? When was the last time that happened around here? B)

MVP has to go to Williams for playing all four spots in the secondary for us at one point or another during the season. He is the #1 rookie safety in the league, and it ticks me off that he's not even on the pro bowl ballot (not that he should be going, but he deserves an opportunity to be voted for just as much as say Roethlisberger or Dunta Robinson).

Geathers, Johnson, and Miller are all solid, but not all year like Williams.

I'm not saying that he'd be our rookie MVP, but we can't leave Kyle Larson out since he's a lowly punter. :P It's so nice to not have to cringe any more when the Bengals have a line up for a punt.

Good call! I had forgotten! Kyle has really turned out nicely, especially after a shaky start.

I'll go with Madieu too he's really having a great year so far & I think with him being in his natural position he's really going to shine ! Good point about Larson he's doing a great job & has really improved from preseason maybe we could give him a most improvement award at least so far! I think all the picks have looked good so far, I think ML & the coaching staff are doing a great job coaching these guys up something we may have lacked in the past ! I'm anxious to see Perry does anyone know how long is he projected to be out with this Ab strain ? I don't recall ever hearing anything usually with most injuries they have a time frame of how many weeks they're expected to miss ? GO BENGALS!!! Jonboat

Madieu. Kyle Larson coming in a close second.

BN1281

Williams is out there putting up numbers equal to or better than the first safety off the board last April, Sean Taylor.

Taylor is an over rated whiney lil smooch.

I really have been impressed with Williams all year cept for Week 1. But its all good. If you sit back and look, All out Rookies have been play extreamly well. Can't really point a finger at 1 of them and say your it.

Who do you think is the mvp of the rookies? madiue is playing great I hope he will be a big impact in years to come, Caleb looked good in preseason but not so hot this season, kinda a let down. Geathers is on the rise!!

GO BENGALS!!!!!

Caleb is overrated. He sucks, period. Landon Johnson OWNZ his hobbit arse!

Caleb is a rookie. He still has time to grow.

Another reason Caleb aint doing too hot is a ankle injury. I personally think (smack me) he needs to put some weight on.

I say, let him gain weight, get more NFL experience, and his ankle injury to heal. He will make a great MLB.

Clearly Madieu has been the MVP rookie for 1st half of season.

Larson has been great punting plus holding for FGs. A great undrafted rookie free agent addition.

But for the Bengals to finish at .500 or above, the Silent Assassin will have to detonate bigtime at MLB. IMO he's likely the future SS but he's made his case at LB where his range, ball savvy, and hard hitting nature were more obvious to me live than they had been on TV. This dude is all over the place and he will have to be down the stretch for Ws.

Madieu has done a lot but he's not been the MLB. Hopefully Landon's play in 2nd half of season makes it harder to remember just how valuable Madieu was when the sh*t really seemed to be falling apart everywhere else.

Caleb just aint ready framewise or mentality wise for the NFL plus he gets washed out way to easy. Not so bad w/ cut blocks but still has seasons to go before he's starter material at either WSLB or MLB. IMO I don't see it happening but so what.

Clearly Madieu has been the MVP rookie for 1st half of season.

Larson has been great punting plus holding for FGs. A great undrafted rookie free agent addition.

But for the Bengals to finish at .500 or above, the Silent Assassin will have to detonate bigtime at MLB. IMO he's likely the future SS but he's made his case at LB where his range, ball savvy, and hard hitting nature were more obvious to me live than they had been on TV. This dude is all over the place and he will have to be down the stretch for Ws.

Madieu has done a lot but he's not been the MLB. Hopefully Landon's play in 2nd half of season makes it harder to remember just how valuable Madieu was when the sh*t really seemed to be falling apart everywhere else.

Caleb just aint ready framewise or mentality wise for the NFL plus he gets washed out way to easy. Not so bad w/ cut blocks but still has seasons to go before he's starter material at either WSLB or MLB. IMO I don't see it happening but so what.

HUH??!?!?! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Of course Madieu isn't the MLB he's a safety who can play corner... why WOULD he play MLB? Why would you WANT him to play MLB?

Johnson isn't going to play safety either, he's a linebacker, pure and simple.

Dude, get off the drugs.

Well :D

The point there Next Great Re-Inventor of the Wheel is that MLB is the key run-stopping position on this team due to lack of DT play. If the Bengals have a capable MLB, then it goes much further toward stopping the run than forcing a DB up so much. Still, Madieu at times has stepped in up the middle to make huge run stops i.e. vs. Droughns.

But Madieu like Leon can't do it all. That's the point about him not playing MLB, which you so graciously missed :(

So as a result of your sublime idiocy, I would like to inform you, next-lame-IGMO-thing, that you just can't do it all either:D

But keep trying and stick around, itty bitty, and stay on your drugs. You're good for a good laugh.

Just so you know, Oh Great Little One, Landon was issued #47 when he signed not #59.

Has anyone else been impressed by #55 Marcus Wilkins in his limited playing time on special teams? He's fast, a good tackler with a nose for the football. I'd like to see him get some opportunity on 3rd down, where L. Johnson seems a little slow in keeping up with running backs out of the backfield. Miller has been beaten alot in pass coverage as well. Just a thought.

Well when Marvin first got here he said that the team has to get production from Undrafted FA's and low rounders...Seems that he is able to do that. Something the previous regimes here never managed to do and something that championship teams do well.

No question Madieu is the MVP of this group...but, damn, they are getting such nice contributions from so many of them that is hard not to be giddy looking to the future.

As for concerns about Caleb, no worries as far as I am concerned. In the pefect world, he works within the system, putting on weight and earning time through ST and slides in when they need him in a year or two.

That's the model the Ravens employ. I think it was the model ML was trying here this year until that rash of ungodly injuries took out so many of the vets and forced the kids to play now.