Rookie QB's

There are so many factors...

It depends on the quarterback, first of all. Can they pick up the playbook quickly, or do they need a while to figure things out.

Secondly, what about the supporting cast? It doesn't do any good to start a rookie QB if his players aren't good enough to give him a chance.

On the flipside...if you have a bright quarterback who has a lot of help around him, then get him in there, and get the growing progress started sooner rather than later.

I'm gonna say that if they start losing games, sit them and see if another option would work better, or at least split time between the two and see who gets more production. If it doesn't work for either, then keep the rookie in and let him take his licks. If the other QB is more productive, then keep him in. As for the rookie losing confidence, he should see it as the better chance for his team to win and take it in stride...they aren't babies, and they shouldn't be spoon-fed.

If you have a rookie QB who is forced to step in due to injury, then you really don't have a choice. If you have a rookie who is the only QB on that team who can actually play some ball (i.e. Peyton in Indy), then keep the rookie in. If you have a veteran with decent skills who actually won some games for the team in the past, let the vet play and see if they can't win a game or two.

In the case of Palmer, start out splitting time between him and Kitna. It gives the team a chance to see what Kitna can do, and since the Bengals aren't going to keep him around after next year, let him show what he can do so his free-agent stock will go up (yeah, I'm a Kitna fan, and he should be allowed to play for a team that would actually use him without screwing him over five months before the season starts).

That's my take, and since I bash Palmer on an almost-daily basis, that should be some good insight.

BN1281

That's my take, and since I bash Palmer on an almost-daily basis, that should be some good insight.

BN1281

When people like BN1281 post things about being for Kitna or against Palmer in this manner, rather than the "Yank him 'cause he SUCKS!" type of thing, it's easier to see your point of view.

I realize posts of the other type is simply driven by anger about the Bengals losing games that they probably shouldn't, I can can understand that too.

The bottom line of both sides of this argument is strangely the same though...both simply want the Bengals to be a winner. We're merely bickering about which road to take to get there!

Great topic here gang!

My take is that if the team has enough offense to let the newbie learn then I take my chances and let him start. If, however, the team is responding better with the incumbent (Kitna last year) then I stick with him and take my chances...

Palmer is looking a lot better so it could work out where you go 7-9 or 6-10 and get a nice draft choice in 2005 and go from there. Bengals could use a dominant LB or a great cover corner so it could be the best for the team...

BTW, nice win against Dallas last week!

Secondly, what about the supporting cast? It doesn't do any good to start a rookie QB if his players aren't good enough to give him a chance.

IMHO that's the overriding factor. Most QBs struggle early because they get drafted at the top of the first round, i.e. they get drafted by crappy teams. Look at how much unishment guys like Carr and Harrington (and of course Klingler) took. Or just look at the Bengals v. the Steelers this year. Palmer had a hell of an offense on paper coming into the season, but injuries to the o-line and Warrick, and a lack of performance on the ground, have reduced it to a so-so squad. And that's played a big part in his shaky performance. On the other hand, Cheeselisburger has a healthy bunch of wideouts, a solid line and, most importantly good work by Staley and Bettis. And that's played a big role in his success.

In the case of Palmer, start out splitting time between him and Kitna. It gives the team a chance to see what Kitna can do, and since the Bengals aren't going to keep him around after next year, let him show what he can do so his free-agent stock will go up (yeah, I'm a Kitna fan, and he should be allowed to play for a team that would actually use him without screwing him over five months before the season starts).

you know what they say... if you have 2 qbs, you have no qbs.

Secondly, what about the supporting cast?  It doesn't do any good to start a rookie QB if his players aren't good enough to give him a chance.

IMHO that's the overriding factor. Most QBs struggle early because they get drafted at the top of the first round, i.e. they get drafted by crappy teams. Look at how much unishment guys like Carr and Harrington (and of course Klingler) took. Or just look at the Bengals v. the Steelers this year. Palmer had a hell of an offense on paper coming into the season, but injuries to the o-line and Warrick, and a lack of performance on the ground, have reduced it to a so-so squad. And that's played a big part in his shaky performance. On the other hand, Cheeselisburger has a healthy bunch of wideouts, a solid line and, most importantly good work by Staley and Bettis. And that's played a big role in his success.

Joisey, don't tell us about injuries not only this year but last year...

Last year we lost our LT, Marvel Smith, and RG, Kendell Simmons and that just wrecked our entire season. LTs are at a premium and you lose one of those and there goes your season. But losing 2 starters forget it unless you have awesome depth.

Notice that we drafted Max Starks and had Kedrick Vincent on the bench so we were ready for anything this year. Plus, if Hartings goes down, we have Chucky Okobi, who's an excellent player and we signed him to a 5 year deal, ready to step in, so we finally have the depth on the team...

Additionally, you look at us losing Simmons again (RG) and we were lucky enough to have Vincent and that's what drafting is all about...

Roethlisberger is something special but one has to look at what he has around him. Awesome OL, the best trio of WRs in the NFL, and some real good RBs. This offense is perfect for a guy like him because he doesn't have to win games all the time. For example, he was 11 of 18 this past weekend and that was enough to get it done. A team doesn't want to put their young QB in situations where he's vunerable to mistakes...

Ben is also very allusive and that's something we never had with Neill O'Donnell or Tommy Maddox.

Kordell was awesome at escaping and making players but he wasn't a passer first and he wasn't intelligent enough. The guy had Bettis, a great OL, and Thigpen, Ernie Mills, Andre Hastings, and so many othe weapons but he just didn't get it done. Young QB with a lot of talent but he couldn't get the job done...

In sum keep Palmer in there now because we are half way through the season. He is progressing and coming around. Warrick is out and that will hurt him but at least he and CJ are developing chemistry and that is one less thing he will have to do in 2005...

Roethlisberger is something special but one has to look at what he has around him. Awesome OL, the best trio of WRs in the NFL, and some real good RBs. This offense is perfect for a guy like him because he doesn't have to win games all the time. For example, he was 11 of 18 this past weekend and that was enough to get it done. A team doesn't want to put their young QB in situations where he's vunerable to mistakes...

And that's exactly my point. And frankly it goes for any QB, not just the young ones. And your poit about the injuries the Steelers had last year is well-taken. If Palmer had the offense Kitna had last year -- with a healthy o-line and Peter Warrick -- I have to think we'd be at at least 4-5 wins instead of 3. But such is life in the NFL.

Secondly, what about the supporting cast?  It doesn't do any good to start a rookie QB if his players aren't good enough to give him a chance.

Joisey, don't tell us about injuries not only this year but last year...

Last year we lost our LT, Marvel Smith, and RG, Kendell Simmons and that just wrecked our entire season. LTs are at a premium and you lose one of those and there goes your season. But losing 2 starters forget it unless you have awesome depth.

Notice that we drafted Max Starks and had Kedrick Vincent on the bench so we were ready for anything this year. Plus, if Hartings goes down, we have Chucky Okobi, who's an excellent player and we signed him to a 5 year deal, ready to step in, so we finally have the depth on the team...

Additionally, you look at us losing Simmons again (RG) and we were lucky enough to have Vincent and that's what drafting is all about...

Ben is also very allusive and that's something we never had with Neill O'Donnell or Tommy Maddox.

Kordell was awesome at escaping and making players but he wasn't a passer first and he wasn't intelligent enough. The guy had Bettis, a great OL, and Thigpen, Ernie Mills, Andre Hastings, and so many othe weapons but he just didn't get it done. Young QB with a lot of talent but he couldn't get the job done...

In sum keep Palmer in there now because we are half way through the season. He is progressing and coming around. Warrick is out and that will hurt him but at least he and CJ are developing chemistry and that is one less thing he will have to do in 2005...

I think Roelisberger needs to go get a rat to naw that *** damn ugly mole off the side of his face.

I think that is the reason teams cant win against him. They cant stop looking at that ugly, ugly, triple ugly face. So when he throws the ball, they have their eye on that mole that takes up half his face.

Eck.

I think Roelisberger needs to go get a rat to naw that *** damn ugly mole off the side of his face.

I think that is the reason teams cant win against him. They cant stop looking at that ugly, ugly, triple ugly face. So when he throws the ball, they have their eye on that mole that takes up half his face.

Eck.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ya know, I try to look at things from all angles, but this perspective of "not's" about Ben simply never occured to me! Who says women don't look at things differently than men! I got scientific proof here!!

Or is it more scientific "smack?" I can't decide that either...I think now is a good time to just go fix a drink, and watch Philly smack Dallas around. It's ALWAYS fun to watch the Cowboys get abused!