Monday its On!

sysfreak

So the press is saying that bengals fans feel betrayed as we go into this Monday Night game. What do you think? I for one am sticking behind my Bengals team. I just hate it when they start knocking our team and now the fans....that just is not cool. What do you all have to say abou that?

Anyways, a little FYI. I was searching for a new cell phone because my old needs to be smashed against the wall and I came across a motorola site. If you're into contests this one may get you tickets to the Super Bowl or tickets to your team of choice which we all know is the Bengals, right? If your interested its

***link removed***

Any score predictions for Monday Night?

I know that a lot of people are gonna disagree with me, but maybe I'm too optimistic. I think the team will feed off the energy of the MNF crowd and I think that they will find a way to at least make it a close game, and maybe win (I'm startin to make myself think that I'm too optimistic). I think we're going to have to rely a lot on the offense though because Droughns is probably gonna have his way with our defense, but maybe the D will wake up and stop the run when we need it.

And if we are loosing towards the end of the game... please do not boo our team on national television. I know people are gonna say that we're fans, and we have the right to boo the team when they're playin this bad, thats BS. I think booing sends the wrong message, but maybe thats just me. Hopefully we won't have to even worry about Booing monday night.

GO BENGALS :player:

Betrayed? No. That's jumping the gun a little too soon on Marvin's rebuilding project. Disappointed? Yes. I thought we would have been a little more competitive this season; not winning more, but at least in the games.

I think the word more appropriate for this is, OVER-EXPECTATION. We expected too much based off last year and everyone thought Palmer taking over was an immediate upgrade; which it wasn't.

Personally, I will bitch and complain when we lose -- AS IN EVERY NFL FAN IN THE WORLD -- but I still think we too young at player positions and coaching positions.

We are definitely short in personnel on defense, and the offense is sputtering right now, but I'd rather have a horrible season now -- with our youngsters learning how to play in the NFL -- than mediocre seasons -- putting in veterans and prolonging the younsters adjustment period -- in the future.

A big IF.

Palmer was 20 for 36 last Sunday. In light of the humiliating defeat, think of how his stats and QB ratings would look IF the receivers would have caught those 10 dropped passes: 30 for 36, plus the yardage and first downs they would have brought, could not only have improved his image, but won the game for us. I thought his passing was quite accurate, maybe his best passing performance to date, as far as accuracy is concerned. In previous games his passes did not look as good.

Your thoughts?

I agree with your thought on Palmer. Even though he under threw Johnson for a sure TD. No, I take that back, Chad would have booted it. The dropped passes were pathetic but Chad deserves a mulligan. He'll bounce back on Monday night.

Palmer had a decent game and made a good decisions. No turnovers but the delay of game was a killer. He still has a way to go BUT he's not the problem. The defense has been pushed around like no defense I've ever seen. I've never seen LBs get manhandled like ours do. Was the weight room being remodled last off season?

We expected too much based off last year and everyone thought Palmer taking over was an immediate upgrade; which it wasn't.

I don't think many people thought that Palmer taking over as QB would be an "immediate upgrade." If you know football, you know that most likely Palmer would go through some growing pains this season.

I think the word more appropriate for this is, OVER-EXPECTATION.

I agree with you there. After so many losing seasons before, the 8-8 record last season put a ton of expectations on this team that may not have been correct.

But hey, its not over yet :unsure: .

I'm not too down on this team right now, but if we're in this same position next year...I may not be so content.

I might be wondering less about Palmer if I hadn't watched R-Berger vs. Cowboys, Bengals, and Browns.

Palmer seems to either lack the instincts R-Berger or has been told not to turn to them.

Palmer doesn't run the ball at all even to the point where he dumps a pass to Rudi for no gain when he couldv'e taken off downfield w/ no one around him for 15 yds.

R-Berger in pocket sees the field open across middle and takes off for a helmet first TD.

Palmer hasn't made many plays but rather stays in pocket for the most part. R-Berger escapes collapsing pocket for circus throws and big TD throws w/ WR making downfield adjustments. R-Berger threw a TD pass vs. Boys where he starting to throw to one receiver, stopped, then instantly flicked a dart to the back of the end zone.

Palmer's got great ability and he's no puss. But I got to wonder whether he lacks some instinct or has had it drilled into his head to stay in the pocket, not run period, not improvise, and not audible to the point where it's detrimental. Maybe R-Berger is doing so well because he didn't have a year to sit around and have his instincts dulled.

Ok, I have to bite here.

I have 2 major problems with Palmer.

#1 He has no fire. He seems wayyyy too laid back, too soft of a personality. Palmer needs to be a leader, show passion. I know that is his personality, but you need to WANT it. He just doesn't seem that way to me.

#2 He has a strong arm and KNOWS it. The guy can wing a ball 60 yards with no problem. SO WHAT. We have completed 1 bomb in 5 games. SO WHAT. Palmer is throwing the ball 90 mph on 8 yard slant patterns. Could that be why we are seeing so many drops? Kitna it seemed had Palmer's accuracy, but threw a more catchable ball in this respect. Palmer needs to realize you dont have to throw it 90mph to a guy 5 yards away. Use the cannon when you need to.

Damn right I feel betrayed. They are doing the little things stupid, like offsides and false starts. That's coaching. The defense gets worse and worse each game, and the offense is horrible. I had to buy tickets to 2 games, because they would not allow me to buy just the Monday nighter, and I had to sit through a sickening Raven blow out. I'm sick of hearing how easily everything can be corrected and nothing is. We had all offseason to correct this defense and it is worse than ever. As for being a crappy fan that is ridiculous. Any fan that could put up with these loser organization should be put in the hall of fame.

#2 He has a strong arm and KNOWS it. The guy can wing a ball 60 yards with no problem. SO WHAT. We have completed 1 bomb in 5 games. SO WHAT. Palmer is throwing the ball 90 mph on 8 yard slant patterns. Could that be why we are seeing so many drops?

No. He was throwing it just as hard in college and his receivers caught the ball then. People said the same thing about Boomer years ago -- "he throws too hard." It was a BS excuse then & is a BS excuse now.

What is happening, IMHO, is exactly what Chad was talking about in the bengals.com article yesterday. Why did he drop those balls? "Success makes you lose your fundamentals." He got in a groove with Kitna last year; he "knew" the pass would be there so he slacked off on looking the ball in and tucking it away and started looking upfield and thinking about YAC more. Now he has a different QB -- but he hasn't gotten Kitna out of his system yet. I suspect he and all the receivers are doing fine with Carson in practice, but once they get into a game, last year's instincts sneak back in. Chad's right: they have to go back to the basics. Look the ball in. Catch it. Tuck it away. It's going to mean less YAC for a while, but it's the only way to improve. What's sad is that it's taken them so long to figure this out. Hue Jackson should have been on this from week 1.

PS I agree with kybengalsfan. If Palmer's receivers just catch the damn ball he's like 30 for 36, 200+ yards and 2 TDs at least. He isn't all he can be but he is improving. But he needs a little friggin help from everyone else.

PS I agree with kybengalsfan. If Palmer's receivers just catch the damn ball he's like 30 for 36, 200+ yards and 2 TDs at least. He isn't all he can be but he is improving. But he needs a little friggin help from everyone else.

Agreed.

But I do also think the receivers haven't adjusted to Palmer. As for his college career, his receivers got ton more seperation so he wasn't forced to rocket the ball. And their receivers were very good against college DBs that aren't in the NFL; out of football all-together.

I believe when GB started retooling their WRs, there was a lot of dropped passes because they couldn't adjust to Favre until half-way through the season.

He does seem to underthrow his long passes more right now, but I'm sure that's just another adjustment this young QB has to make. At least it's there though, and the secondary has to be aware of it. It keeps the defenses spread more than not trying the deep pass at all. When the Bengals are more consistent on the deep pass, I really see the running game opening up like never before.

Palmer has his issues....but no more than any other young QB in this league....Someone above mentioned R-Berger in Pittsburgh....he has a much better line in front of him allowing him to make the decisions he makes....

I think Carson has done a more than admirable job considering this is a line similar to the one that killed David Klingler....we upgrade the middle of this O line and I think you will see Carson grow and continue to develop.....

Back in pre-season I believe every post on this site considered the Bengals to have a quality offensive line. That was based upon last year's results, and concluding they would be better this year, there was no reason to feel they were not one of the best in the league. What happened? I believe we were more optimistic than we were realistic. Man, I dread seeing us get our butts kicked on national TV; tell me I am wrong :player:

Palmer has his issues....but no more than any other young QB in this league....Someone above mentioned R-Berger in Pittsburgh....he has a much better line in front of him allowing him to make the decisions he makes....

I think Carson has done a more than admirable job considering this is a line similar to the one that killed David Klingler....we upgrade the middle of this O line and I think you will see Carson grow and continue to develop.....

Well, defenses have been blitzing like a mother too. The o-line has dealt with injuries, that's for sure; most are playing through injuries also. I think once Carson settles down and sees the blitzes and adjusts to them accordingly, and the o-line gets healthy, this offense will return to the greatness we all believe it can be.

Back in pre-season I believe every post on this site considered the Bengals to have a quality offensive line. That was based upon last year's results, and concluding they would be better this year, there was no reason to feel they were not one of the best in the league. What happened?

In a word, injuries. Williams has been the only o-line starter not to pop up on the injury report this year. Both tackles have been playing with nagging knee injuries, Steinbach was stall rehabbing his elbow when the season started, and of course we lost our starting C and his backup before the end of game 1 and had to scramble to add Fontenot.

That's a big reason why the offense disappointed me so much last Sunday. For the first time, we finally had all 5 starters in, and they ought to have beeen at the healthiest they'd been all season. And they were up against a chronically underperforming defensive line in Cleveland. And they couldn't open holes for Rudi or protect Palmer. I can't even find it in my heart to cut them any slack because it was the first time they were all back and maybe they needed a game to get back in rythym. They shouldn't need a game to get back in rythym! With the exception of Williams they played together all last year!

On bengals.com, Hobson keeps pointing to lingering injury issues, but frankly if those lingering issues are causing the o-line play to decline as far as it has vs. last year, we need to get some other guys in there.

Hey Joiseycat: Do they still make Stickim or whatever that stuff is called?  In the Bengals case, maybe they need SuperGlue  :(

Using it in the NFL is illegal.

I hope you realize that dude WAS joking...

:rolleyes:

You mean recievers can't use super glue on their gloves to help them catch passes? :o