Disheartening

BengalNation1281

I came home after watching the game yesterday and talked to my dad and my best friend for a while, and they both agreed that they had never seen me this upset about the Bengals in the entire time that I have been a fan. I've been through ten years of losing, and the first year that I was able to catch almost every game at the sports bar was the 2-14 2002 season, and I was never as disappointed about a loss as I was yesterday.

I don't know if it makes me less of a man to cry about a football team, but I had legitimate tears in my eyes as I left the sports bar. This was supposed to be the year that it all came together, and instead they look like they are getting worse. I will never lose hope completely, since I've seen this organization field numerous losing teams before, but I am extremely somber and downhearted about the horrible turn that this season has taken. The bye week didn't help, the defense couldn't stop the run or the pass, they got 4 turnovers and couldn't hold onto the lead, the offense couldn't do anything right, and it all added up to the same result as the weeks before, and I have the sinking feeling that it's not going to get better.

I just wanted to vent. Thanks for reading.

BN1281

Not trying to be antoginistic, but if ya thought that this was the year...YER FRICKIN' NUTS!! Too many holes across the board. They ARE well on their way to being a very good team, but I think the Cincy HOPE blinded some of you. The defense is average and a rookie QB should never be the basis of "the year it all comes together." Again, I like Cincy and what they are putting together. With patient owners and some salary cap changes (LOSE WARRICK FROM THE BOOKS) this squad is well on it's way. I say in 2 or 3 years it will be time to contend and here is why:

#1- New England is getting older and although they have a great front office, the core of the team is aging.

#2- Peyton's pricetag will eventually catch up w/ Indy. The defense is already lackluster and the #2 WR is up for contract soon.

#3- Draft pix. If there is one positive to being near the bottom is that it is easier to accumulate talent. 2 WORDS: Antrell Rolle. WHATEVER cincy has to do to get him...DO IT!!!

#4- Most of the AFC is in the same boat.

B-more and Cleveland are down, but Pitt is ready for a push.

Miami, NYJ and Buffalo are weak (NYJ are OVERrated)

KC has to lose O to get D and Priest already speaks of retirement, Oaktown is OLD and SD is, well...SD. Denver is fairly young and improving.

Tennessee is down, but can get back up soon. Jax is coming on and Houston is too.

It's alll about who makes the best moves in the next 1.5 yers. I see a Cincy/Pitt dogfight for the North for years to come...assuming ownership is patient with the coach.

Hey, Atwater: You are being overly kind by saying our defense is average. That means they are somewhere in the middle; they are not even close to the bottom, they are bottom!

While I know you mean well in your assessment of other teams, I would like to point out that for months leading up to the start of the season, our fans saw us as beating our opponents in the AFC North, and giving the reasons why we were better. Well, you see how powerful we really are: we haven't come close to beating an AFC North opponent yet! I honestly believe that the Bengals fans should fail to open their mouths about the so-called weaknesses of the other teams in our division, because they are kicking our teeth in. We look like boys playing against men. Our team deserves the criticism they are getting. After telling the world how "our backs are against the wall," and "this is a must game," we proceed to go to the Pound and get eaten alive by the Turds. I would call this a lack of character. I spent a lot of my hard-earned money for season tickets, feeling like the Bengals would at least fight on the field. Unfortunately, I have seen little evidence of this. I feel like I have been betrayed.

I feel like I have been betrayed.

You and every other fan who has bought a ticket, t-shirt, jersey, hat, etc, etc, etc has been betrayed...again! You have every right to be upset. Wouldn't you be upset if you had a "friend" that you supported religiously, and they just kept letting you down and f**king you over year after year after year? He wouldn't be your friend very long, would he? Yet here we all are, still behind this organization. Makes you feel like a fool, doesn't it? :angry:

The defense is average

Hey atwater. Send me some of what you're smokin'. We wouldn't be this pissed about the situation if the defense was anything close to "average!" :wacko:

Yet here we all are, still behind this organization. Makes you feel like a fool, doesn't it? :angry:

Absolutely...especially after predicting a 28-3 victory last week. Boy do I feel stupid now. :angry: I honestly thought this would be the game to turn things around for us a bit. Now, the game I've been waiting for the most since the day the schedule was announced approaches, and I am not looking forward to it at all. I made plans over the weekend to watch it with some friends at their house (no way in hell I'm going to a bar in Denver) who are diehard Broncos fans. I'm expecting another drubbing ala last season's opener. Only this time the whole world gets to see how pathetic our team is right now...should be fun. <_< But, like the rest of you, I'm still here, and always will be win or lose, trying to maintain some semblance of hope. We may be suckers for buying tickets and paraphernalia, but one thing we can say (and I've said it before) is, we're the most loyal fans in the league. It's easy to support a winner, but it takes some serious dedication to support a team that has consistently lost for 14 years. Is that something to be proud of? Not necessarily. But right now, it's about all we got.

Atwater, welcome to the board. I think the majority of us here had somewhat realistic expectations going into this season. We knew Carson was going to take his knocks and that reaching the playoffs was a longshot. If I had to guess, I'd say the average pre-season prediction from posters on this board was 7-9...one game worse than last year. Now it looks like 4-12 might not even be attainable. That's the reason (just one of many) we're pissed.

It's easy to support a winner, but it takes some serious dedication to support a team that has consistently lost for 14 years. Is that something to be proud of? Not necessarily. But right now, it's about all we got.

I work with a bunch of Chicago Cubs fans, and we get along extremely well. Not surprising when you consider our common ground, eh? ^_^

Dear God...PLEASE don't punish us as long as you've been punishing the Cubbies!!!

I work with a bunch of Chicago Cubs fans, and we get along extremely well. Not surprising when you consider our common ground, eh?  ^_^

Birds of a feather. :lol:

Dear God...PLEASE don't punish us as long as you've been punishing the Cubbies!!!

I think it's already happening. At least we've seen the Bengals in 2 superbowls. I just hope I'm not referring to them as the glory days to my grand kids in 2030..."yeah kids, the last time the Bengals had a great team was back in '88. I remember it like it was yesterday. We were winning the superbowl until some guy named Joe Montana shattered our dreams with a flick of his wrist with 34 seconds left in the game. Yep, those were the good old days. Ain't seen nothing like it since"

I feel ya. I worked for a few years w/ some Bengals fans in Youngstown, Ohio and I always told them the same thing i'll tell you. THERE IS PLENTY OF ROOM ON THE BANDWAGON. It's OK to have a 2nd favorite team. I secretly like the Bills since I used to go there 3 times per year for games. AND there is somethin to be said for the orange. It goes with BLUE as well.

I truly DO hope Cincy turns it around soon as I am a follower of them. I HATE Pitt and Clev and i'm not to fond of B-more either. As a UT fan I loved watching Pickens for all those years...especially when he would single handedly outplay Pitt. Then it was Takeo...STUD!!! Now I like CJ. When he was draftedI said he'd be the next great WR and he's making me look like a smart man.

GOOD LUCK!!! I'll be around to help bash the other A-North teams from time to time.

Well, Good Luck NEXT week.

I wasn't into football when the Bengals went to the SB in 1988, and I really didn't become a freak for football until 1994, when I started rooting for the Bengals, so my glory days are a little bit different:

1. 1994: Jeff Blake throwing for 354 yards and the Bengals beating the Oilers 34-31. It was that game that made me a Bengals fan...I loved passing offenses, and Blake, Pickens, and Scott gave me a reason to love this team. The week after that, Blake threw for 387 yards and they beat the Seahawks, and I was absolutely hooked.

2. December 22, 2002: The Bengals beat the Saints 20-13 on a 1-yard run by Nick Luchey. It was the only win I saw that year, as I was recovering from a wicked hangover when they beat the Texans.

3. November 16, 2003: Bengals 24, Chiefs 19. The single-most satisfying sports experience I have ever had...being a Bengals fan in Wichita was a lot more fun that day than it had ever been before.

There are other moments that I am sure I'm forgetting right now, but those three stick out in my mind more than the rest. Either way, these are the moments I hold on to, and that makes me sad. I love the memories, but I don't have any "remember when we went to the SB?" or "remember that playoff game when..."; I have three 8-8 seasons in 10 years and the losingest record of the 1990s. I love this team, but can you see why I am getting upset?

This shouldn't have been another rebuilding year...this should have been our first winning season in 13 years, this should have been legitimate playoff contention, this should have been a million things that it is not. I will continue to go to the sports bar and watch my Bengals play until the day that I die, and I am slowly beginning to get the feeling that I will never see a team that could compare to the teams in the 1980s, when I was too young to follow them. I don't mean to bitch, and I'm sorry if I'm being a downer, but I have to get all of this out somewhere, with people who understand my pain better than anyone else could.

Oh, and I'm sorry about your pick, denverbengal. I was hoping that your genius would be spread far and wide after you called that score.

BN1281

Oh, and I'm sorry about your pick, denverbengal.  I was hoping that your genius would be spread far and wide after you called that score.

BN1281

Thanks BN. They sure made me look silly for making that prediction. I won't be doing that again. :lol: I think our only hope for winning any more games the rest of the season lies in teams overlooking us. Hopefully that will start Monday. Bronco fans are already counting the game as a win, so maybe the team will too. I won't be holding my breath though.

At this point it's pretty hard to be optimistic. I, like you am tired of waiting til next year, but realistically, ML really had his work cut out for him from day one, and this is only his second year. Like Atwater said, next year will say allot about the future and the progress (or lack thereof) that he's made. ML has some pieces of the puzzle already in place, the most important being CP. He's going to be a great QB, in the years to come. As long as you have that, and a somewhat adequate defense (which is missing the most pieces right now), good things can happen.

I must respectfully disagree. Most Denver fans are speaking quite cautiously about this as a possible trap game and that the players need to be careful and motivated...and not look forward to Atlanta. I do think Shanny will have their heads on straight and if Plummer doesn't bonehead up (and sometimes it's a BIG IF) we SHOULD be able to control some clock with Reuben. I think that our LBs are fast enough to slow down yer run and PW being out would hurt ya. BUT the actual matchups are not all in Denver's favor. Cincy has some potent weapons, but opefully the D will come through again cuz I DON'T want to give KC, SD, or Choketown ANY hope!

Hey Josh, lemme know if you start having any success with your sig line:

I'm going to be positive. I'm going to be positive. I'm going to be positive. I'm going to be positive. I'm going to be positive. I'm going to be positive.

I'm just totally un-f**king-able right now. All I keep seeing in my head is Bengals 17, Browns 34!! Over and over again! It wouldn't have been so bad 17-21, but 34 points!! To the Browns!?! With Garcia at QB and NO Winslow!?!

Oh man! Where's that bottle of Wild Turkey 101 proof at? Time for daddy to blow his freakin' brains out!! :(

Hey Josh, lemme know if you start having any success with your sig line:

I'm going to be positive. I'm going to be positive. I'm going to be positive. I'm going to be positive. I'm going to be positive. I'm going to be positive.

I'm just totally un-f**king-able right now. All I keep seeing in my head is Bengals 17, Browns 34!! Over and over again! It wouldn't have been so bad 17-21, but 34 points!! To the Browns!?! With Garcia at QB and NO Winslow!?!

Oh man! Where's that bottle of Wild Turkey 101 proof at? Time for daddy to blow his freakin' brains out!! :(

Pain killer medication, remember? :lol::lol:

I think it happens a lot that teams that make a major move 1 year fall back the next.  Schedules get tougher and teams actually take ya seriously.  Take the Bears a few years ago.  What were they, 13-3?  12-4?  Then what?  SPLAT!  The NEXT year will say a lot about the future of the Bengals.

Yup. Thats happening to the 'Boys so far this year, too.

And if the wailing is this bad around here, I can only imagine how much grief must be posted on Panthers message boards!

Since '02, Tampa is 8-13...and what happened to that undefeated-record-threatening KC team from last year?

It'll get straightened out. But like I said elsewhere, calls for patience fall on deaf ears 'round these parts. :rolleyes:

So how's that tooth Josh? Wisdom teeth or just a cavity kind of thing?

One molar I had a root canal on is infected combined with my wisdom tooth coming in; this is the most intense pain I've felt in years.

It'll get straightened out. But like I said elsewhere, calls for patience fall on deaf ears 'round these parts. 

With good reason.

I must respectfully disagree.  Most Denver fans are speaking quite cautiously about this as a possible trap game and that the players need to be careful and motivated...and not look forward to Atlanta. 

Maybe I should have worded that a little differently. ALLOT of Broncos fans are counting this game a win. Yes, I've heard and read that allot of fans also think this game could be a trap, but most of the Broncos fans that I know have been giving me grief (and rightfully so) about how this game isn't even going to be close. Of course they could just be giving me crap cuz I'm a Bengals fan. :D

Regardless, it's going to take an act of God for the Bengals to pull this one out.

Normally, I'd go out to a sports bar or a friend's house to watch the game.....God knows why....maybe to let them (people rooting against the Bengals) feel better about themselves.....(Flashing back to Steelers game :( )

But, IF I even watch this game (which I know I will, I can't help myself) it will be in the comforts of my own home, or under that thinly veiled grocery-store variety paper bag. I can't take this ridicule anymore.