Time to scout our 2005 draft!

Pappaw,

Great take on draft.

I like Butler from Ga Tech at S over Davis only because of pass coverage. True, Davis is a definite hitter but Butler is NFL Eugene Robinson-Rodney Harrison cailber.

Patterson in 2nd is interesting. After watching USC-ND game, I'm not sure how much he helps. Patterson has built out his frame IMO. Not sure he's an improvement over Langston Moore.

If it's a 2nd rd. DT, I like the big boy from Bama -- Anthony Bryant.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you, Schweinhart, when it comes to the DT -- Anthony Bryant is much bigger and I like his aggressiveness. I would take Bryant over Patterson. Either one would give us the chance to keep a fresh DT rushing up the middle. I think we need some depth at DT.

I've not seen enough of James Butler to tell the difference. I also like Donte Nicholson, Oklahoma. They all have good size and aggressiveness.

Another S who looked good this weekend, was Jimmy Williams, Virginia Tech. He has excellent speed and size (ran down a fast, running backfrom behind)-- but I wasn't impressed by his coverage skills (got beat by a TE over the middle --sounds familar) even though he has play CB before this year.

WHO DEY!!

I like the idea of taking the best "player" -- despite other people's impatience. Marvin knows how to make this work.

I'm not trying to be "pissy", but how much longer do I need to be patient for in the case of Chris Perry? Yeah, yeah. I'm aware of the injuries and all, but now he seems somewhat fragile, does he not?

Honestly we have seen absolutely nothing here. IMO, that was a poor pick, not to mention being an unnessasary reach. I hope our next #1 pick is better, be it a player that can help the team, or another alleged best player available.

Yeah, Perry had another great game....Not!

The pick reeked.

A. Rudi is here this year if no other.

B. He would have otherwise most likely been available w/ Greg Jones for 55th pick in late 2nd rd. Martz got who he wanted. Mooch got who he wanted. Shannyhanny couldn't really care less who the RB is as long as his O-line cut and chop blocks. And no way Parcells takes anybody else but Julius Jones (see why after Turkey Day game).

Let's hope same kind of nonsense doesn't happen for 2005 draft.

But if Ronnie Brown is still available when Bengals pick in 1st rd., it sure would be hard to pass :rolleyes:

That's right West Virginia would kick the s**t out of Ohio St.    Hell our "B" Team (Marshall) had you beat at THE SHOE and what about Northwestern? Now that's a bad loss.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

One word for West f**king Virgil:

OVER-f**king-RATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

How about them apples????

BTW, how did you guys do in your rivarly game?????

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

At least Tressel CAN beat MeatChicken.

f**k you Pitt, BC, and VATech are all better than Northwestern! Give me a f**kin break. Tressel looks almost as gay in that f**kin sweater as your aliases are. (ie kINTa, Patties, Drunkowski) Man you must put alot of time into that s**t you flamer. I've been reading the dumb s**t you post on here for along time and you never seem to amaze me-Oldschooler is right you are a Resident Moron. Oh and that's funny how you never said anything about WVU until they lost, you waited and waited and lucked out because deep down you knew it was true too.

Tressel is gay, huh??? Hmmm....I guess that beating MeatChicken 3 out of 4 years and winning a National Championship is gay--then I'm queer as hell.

Who's the idiot now??? And where the hell are your "MOUNTEES"???????

MOUNTEE. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

James, you're a Mountee. You and Old Wooler--Mountees.

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm not sold on Mike Patterson at all. Too undersized, and not as quick as he should be. His production may be because he's playing next to Shaun Cody!. Cody has better size, quickness and probably is the better ( 2nd round ) pick than Patterson.

Hawthorne looks kinda sloppy, and because of his nagging injuries he's gonna get that " oft-injured " label. Guys like that you watch out for, because if they get them ( injuries ) in college then they're going to multiply in the pros'.

I'm not sold on Erasmus James anyways! I don't think he's as quick or as strong as Will Smith was for the Buckeyes last season, plus Will Smith was super pro-ductive throughout his college career.

* But since the draft is based on " po-tential " he may be worth the risk, but a linebacker or corner will come before him.

We could always draft Marcus Spears and move him inside. Great size and quickness for a defensive end, but moving him inside could be his best bet!

Heath Miller TE UVA would be theft at #17 if he comes out.

Yeah, the buzz is starting to build over Heath. I've seen him pegged as a mid-first-rounder imn a couple places. I'm intrigued, but I don't watch a lot of college ball, so all I have to go from is stuff like this: http://www.draftboardinsiders.com/players/TE/millier-h.html

Anybody seen him play this year? His numbers seem decent but not "wow!" if you know what I mean ( http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=113718 ). Comments about his average blocking skills concern me, we don't need a more expensive Schobel, but then again, he seems a far better receiver than Matt. And he'd fill in that No. 4 emergency QB hole nicely! :lol:

I'm not trying to be "pissy", but how much longer do I need to be patient for in the case of Chris Perry? Yeah, yeah. I'm aware of the injuries and all, but now he seems somewhat fragile, does he not?

Honestly we have seen absolutely nothing here. IMO, that was a poor pick, not to mention being an unnessasary reach. I hope our next #1 pick is better, be it a player that can help the team, or another alleged best player available.

Actually, it's not really a good idea to evaluate a draft pick until about 3 years have passed. Some guys have great rookie seasons then vanish, some stink up the joint the first year and then break out in year two or three. Would you consider the Palmer pick a bust? He didn't see the field his first year. Hell then you look at someone like T Newman in Dallas that the Bengals considered picking with the #1 pick last year, had a great rookie season, but is stinking up the joint now.

Now, after saying that, I'd love to see Perry on the field and am annoyed he isn't. However it's not like the guy playing in front of him is bad or anything.

Hey Billybroome,

Chris Perry was NOT the best player available last year when the Bengals drafted him!!! [Yeah, I know the Bengals had him listed at the top of their running backs -- but they didn't say he was the the best player available.] If we'd have taken the best player, I don't think we'd have this problem.

Whenever the Bengals reach they run into these kinds of problems -- cases in point Dave Klingler, Artrell Hawkins, .... Chris Perry

I would have taken Jake Grove, Center from Virginia Tech before I'd take Chris Perry.

Lets hope Marvin does what he said he was going to do -- draft the best players and keep upgrade all positions.

That's right West Virginia would kick the s**t out of Ohio St.    Hell our "B" Team (Marshall) had you beat at THE SHOE and what about Northwestern? Now that's a bad loss. 

One word for West f**king Virgil:

OVER-f**king-RATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

How about them apples????

BTW, how did you guys do in your rivarly game?????

At least Tressel CAN beat MeatChicken.

f**k you Pitt, BC, and VATech are all better than Northwestern! Give me a f**kin break. Tressel looks almost as gay in that f**kin sweater as your aliases are. (ie kINTa, Patties, Drunkowski) Man you must put alot of time into that s**t you flamer. I've been reading the dumb s**t you post on here for along time and you never seem to amaze me-Oldschooler is right you are a Resident Moron. Oh and that's funny how you never said anything about WVU until they lost, you waited and waited and lucked out because deep down you knew it was true too.

Tressel is gay, huh??? Hmmm....I guess that beating MeatChicken 3 out of 4 years and winning a National Championship is gay--then I'm queer as hell.

Who's the idiot now??? And where the hell are your "MOUNTEES"???????

MOUNTEE. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

James, you're a Mountee. You and Old Wooler--Mountees.

The Mountaineers are playing in the Gator on New Year's Day against Florida St. Better then playing in the Alamo Bowl against Texas Tech :lol:

Well, there isn't a whole lot of Wow talent in the upcoming draft class, unless some of the more talented JRs declare, but the Bengals may still be able to find a diamond in the rough.

I'd like to see them look at maybe a Stephan Lafors, QB Louisville. The Bengals have the starter they need in Palmer, but Casey Bramlet is the only other QB we'll have for any length of time. I can't see keeping Kitna around another year, and why should he sit on the bench when he could contribute for someone else. The Bengals should be looking to scrape up some more draft picks by trading Kitna, like to the Bears for instance. They are desperate enough to have just signed Jeff George, tell me we couldn't get a 1st day pick for Kitna.

Either way, a guy like Rolle would be comforting since James and O'neal are both getting a little long in the tooth. A safety may or may not be a priority, but FA or next years draft could produce someone at that spot. The DT situation needs to be addressed, but I have been impressed with Moore and Geathers especially. Geathers has had at least 1 sack in each of his starts, which is more than you could say for the rest of the line.

With the pickings being rather slim, and the Bengals not getting a top 10 pick, I still think they'll finish 7-9 at the worst, it may be better to look for the best player and not go for specific needs. If the pool was deeper I wouldn't go that route, but it isn't.

With the pickings being rather slim, and the Bengals not getting a top 10 pick, I still think they'll finish 7-9 at the worst, it may be better to look for the best player and not go for specific needs. If the pool was deeper I wouldn't go that route, but it isn't.

Well you won't have to worry about that because Marvin has shown us this is how he drafts.

The TE to have if he declares is Heath Miller the 6-5 255 pounder from Virginia. If he declares he will be the first one off the board and where we are projected to pick right now(#19) he is definitely a possibility. Kevin Everett from Miami is probably next, but is not first round material.

I would like to see the Bengals pick up Justin Miller, the CB from Clemson. He would instantly provide an enormous upgrade in our return game and give us more depth at DB.

Heath Miller TE UVA would be theft at #17 if he comes out.

Yeah, the buzz is starting to build over Heath. I've seen him pegged as a mid-first-rounder imn a couple places. I'm intrigued, but I don't watch a lot of college ball, so all I have to go from is stuff like this: http://www.draftboardinsiders.com/players/TE/millier-h.html

Anybody seen him play this year? His numbers seem decent but not "wow!" if you know what I mean ( http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=113718 ). Comments about his average blocking skills concern me, we don't need a more expensive Schobel, but then again, he seems a far better receiver than Matt. And he'd fill in that No. 4 emergency QB hole nicely! :lol:

Miller's best strength is route running and catching the ball. He had more success last year w/ Schaub at QB than Haggans.

UVA uses 2 TE with the other primarily a blocking TE. IMO Miller's blocking ability at the NFL level would be the main question about him. He looked like there's hope that he can do that during the UVA-VA Tech game last week, but I didn't notice him flattening players.

A decent blocking TE who can also catch some is Alex Holmes USC. He doesn't start but gets lots of PT from what I saw in USC-ND game. ND has got a decent all-around TE in Fasano but I believe the announcers said he was a Jr.

I want another look at Chris Holmes from Toledo in the MAC tourney game. After watching him twice this year, he looks like he has solid all-around TE potential and could be a mid-round steal.

I'm starting to lean toward free agency, though, for TE. It'd be hard to land a TE as ready as Dallas Clark was 2 years ago to step in and play. But Miller and Alex Smith from Stanford might be able to.

Thanks for the feedback, schweinhart. I agree that it doesn't sound like there's sure-fire instant impact TE in the draft this year and that FA might be a better option -- if anyone worth spit ends up on the market. I can't say I'm too optomistic about that. My dream scenario is that the Bengals find some way to pry Jeremy Shockey away from the Jints. He hasn't been real happy under the Coughlin regime; he spends less time catching and more time blocking than he did under Fassel, and that seems, at least to me, a waste of his talents. But that's just a pipe dream.

Here's a guy we should be looking at in the draft next year. He is projected currently in the second round, but with luck will fall to round 3.

Jason Brown - Center - North Carolina

6'3" tall, 312 lbs.

24 straight starts at Center. Rimington Award candidate for the past 3 years (yes 3 years) School Records for conditioning and weight room workouts. Didn't allow a sack at all last year, or so far this year. Allowed only 2 sacks his softmore year. 6 pancake blocks against Wake Forest alone last year. Has experience at tackle as well. Excellent Quickness for his size. Could be the best center in the draft next year.

Also, Nick Tabeca a Columbus native and center from Ball State who has played guard, tackle, and center during college, and is 6'3" 288. This guy is a definate late round prospect.

I like Albert Means at DT in the 3rd or 4th round. 6'4"

328 lb DT from Memphis. 110 tackles and 11 sacks 5 interceptions as a junior. In 2001 he single handedly beat the tar out of the Bearcats.

Draft Michael Munoz in round two! No questions, no talk. In the words of Nike, JUST DO IT!

We don't need Munoz, especially in the 2nd round unless he wants to play center. I say we go after C Vince Carter from Oklahoma, he's a beast. Our secondary is good, we just need guys to get healthy and more experienced. This draft is going to have some good D-Lineman this year, we need to get one in the first or second round.

What offensive line are you watching? We don't need a great tackle? We have Willie Anderson in his 9th season, Levi Jones in his 3rd (who showed greatness last year and hasn't been as effective this year. He is NOT someone you want to inherit the right tackle position when Big Willie retires, Alex Sulfsted, who has been cut and signed more often than most autograph books, and Stacy Andrews, who has great potential but is a long term project. We DO need another great tackle to fill in. Depth at the offensive line is a KEY to a good running game AND the passing game.

Here's a guy we should be looking at in the draft next year. He is projected currently in the second round, but with luck will fall to round 3.

6'3" tall, 312 lbs.

24 straight starts at Center. Rimington Award candidate for the past 3 years (yes 3 years) School Records for conditioning and weight room workouts. Didn't allow a sack at all last year, or so far this year. Allowed only 2 sacks his softmore year. 6 pancake blocks against Wake Forest alone last year. Has experience at tackle as well. Excellent Quickness for his size. Could be the best center in the draft next year.

Also, Nick Tabeca a Columbus native and center from Ball State who has played guard, tackle, and center during college, and is 6'3" 288. This guy is a definate late round prospect.

I like Albert Means at DT in the 3rd or 4th round. 6'4"

328 lb DT from Memphis. 110 tackles and 11 sacks 5 interceptions as a junior. In 2001 he single handedly beat the tar out of the Bearcats.

Draft Michael Munoz in round two! No questions, no talk. In the words of Nike, JUST DO IT!

The Draftniks appear high on Jason Brown. It is sounding as though he likely will be 1st C taken since Wilkerson tore his patella tendon and Carter has the too light rap. Haven't seen Brown but have watched Scott Mrcuzkowski of Bowling Green, who has tremendous quickness of snap for a 319-pound dude.

As for Albert Means of Memphis, did Alfred Einstein give you them stat #'s Oh-Great-Next-Thing or did his old high school coach sell them to you for $150,000 :lol::lol::lol:

Here's a guy we should be looking at in the draft next year.  He is projected currently in the second round, but with luck will fall to round 3.

6'3" tall, 312 lbs. 

24 straight starts at Center.  Rimington Award candidate for the past 3 years (yes 3 years) School Records for conditioning and weight room workouts.  Didn't allow a sack at all last year, or so far this year. Allowed only 2 sacks his softmore year.  6 pancake blocks against Wake Forest alone last year. Has experience at tackle as well.  Excellent Quickness for his size.  Could be the best center in the draft next year.

Also, Nick Tabeca a Columbus native and center from Ball State who has played guard, tackle, and center during college, and is 6'3" 288.  This guy is a definate late round prospect.

I like Albert Means at DT in the 3rd or 4th round.  6'4"

328 lb DT from Memphis.  110 tackles and 11 sacks 5 interceptions as a junior.  In 2001 he single handedly beat the tar out of the Bearcats.

Draft Michael Munoz in round two! No questions, no talk.  In the words of Nike, JUST DO IT!

The Draftniks appear high on Jason Brown. It is sounding as though he likely will be 1st C taken since Wilkerson tore his patella tendon and Carter has the too light rap. Haven't seen Brown but have watched Scott Mrcuzkowski of Bowling Green, who has tremendous quickness of snap for a 319-pound dude.

As for Albert Means of Memphis, did Alfred Einstein give you them stat #'s Oh-Great-Next-Thing or did his old high school coach sell them to you for $150,000 :lol::lol::lol:

Jason Brown is a hoss. I love this guy, and taking him in round one and Munoz in round two wouldn't upset me one bit, so long as we looked at defense in 3 and 4.

Stats on Means are easy to find. I've followed him since I watched him tear up UC a couple years ago. I just thought his last name fit.

Great college games to watch prospects on Saturday.

Auburn is loaded on offense.

Oklahoma is loaded on both sides of ball.

USC has a solid DE in Shaun Cody who has Justin speed and power.

Cal has got 1 of the best RBs in JJ Arrington and a speed DE who might make a NFL LB in Ryan Riddle.

Hell, Michigan State has 1 of the better TEs potential wise in Eric Knott.

Lots of players to check out in the bowls games coming up.

We need to get us a TE from Georgia, they produce the best tight ends of any univ. in college football. Wiggins, McMichaels, Watson, and Graham are all standout TE who would be an upgrade over what we have currently. I believe the current Georgia TE is Pope, he is a beast too.

I wanted Schobel's head on a platter after that fumble on the game opening drive, I have already forgotten about that TD vs. the Cowboys. Our TE's can't break any tackles, looking around the league everyone's elses TE can break at least one tackle from a secondary player, not ours. Everytime Reggie Kelly caught a pass, he was hit and went down without any extra yardage. Them TE boys need to step-it-up and start making some plays.