Bengals vs. Chargers

The Brew Man

Ok, we had some time to enjoy the win over the Chiefs, now its time to move on and make a run at the playoffs. Tough 3 game road stretch starting in SD. This team is truly in shambles, thier D cant stop anyone right now and even though they have alot of talent on offense (Tomlinson, Boston), it dosent seem to be getting them anywhere. Not to mention Flutie... :angry:

Bengals keep thier concentration and roll to a convincing, first place team kinda win.

Bengals 27

Chargers 13

I just keep seeing Arizona all over again. Chargers have no fear of the Bengals (they've beaten us silly two straight times now) and will certainly be fired up to take on the league's media-darlings-of-the-moment. Meanwhile Marvin has to find a way to deflate the team's undoubtedly swelled heads. And with big games coming up in Baltimore and Pitt right after, he has to get them focused on SD. Bottom line: this matchup has TRAP GAME hanging over it in big neon letters.

My bet...Bengals come out, look like crap, and are down by two scores at the half. Marvin lights into them at halftime and they come back out fired up, come back in the second half, and win it 23-20 on a last-second Graham FG.

I just keep seeing Arizona all over again. Chargers have no fear of the Bengals (they've beaten us silly two straight times now) and will certainly be fired up to take on the league's media-darlings-of-the-moment. Meanwhile Marvin has to find a way to deflate the team's undoubtedly swelled heads. And with big games coming up in Baltimore and Pitt right after, he has to get them focused on SD. Bottom line: this matchup has TRAP GAME hanging over it in big neon letters.

My bet...Bengals come out, look like crap, and are down by two scores at the half. Marvin lights into them at halftime and they come back out fired up, come back in the second half, and win it 23-20 on a last-second Graham FG.

My pessimism seems to have rubbed off on you. I on the other hand am very encouraged by the consistently improving play of the offensive line. The San Diego defense hasn't been able to stop anyone else's offense with any regularity, and I don't think they'll be able to do it with us either.

Playing up and / or down to our competition. I don't know that I agree. If that was truly the case, we'd have played Denver a lot better. We ran into Oakland and Buffalo both while we were still trying to get our legs under us and they were just starting their downward spirals. I think we got the last really good game each of them had in them before they collapsed. Just our luck huh ! Arizona was the first chance these guys had to go .500, and they just plain froze up.

The one thing that hasn't change is that the team has gotten better each week. As bad as Arizona was, they beat us by 3 ? When the old Bengals froze up, the final was like 38 to 3. That's looking for silver linings, but sometimes you have to do that. It could have also provided the newspaper that coach Lewis will roll up and hit them on the nose with if they get too full of themselves.

All that aside, the Chargers have problems on the team and we don't. They've got a couple of nicks and bruises, and we don't. We're coming off a big win, and they're coming off a big loss. At 41, Flutie is not going to have the stamina to duck and dodge this defense all day. He may do it at first, but after that he'll fade. You saw it last week with KC as well. The other team starts to wear down in the 3rd and 4th qtrs, and the Bengals pick up the tempo on offense and defense.

San Diego will score some points but never seriously threaten. Final Bengals 30 Charders 16

The one thing that hasn't change is that the team has gotten better each week. As bad as Arizona was, they beat us by 3 ? When the old Bengals froze up, the final was like 38 to 3. That's looking for silver linings, but sometimes you have to do that. It could have also provided the newspaper that coach Lewis will roll up and hit them on the nose with if they get too full of themselves.

Good point.......

I think you've got to back the Bengals on this one. The Chargers have conceded 98 more points then they have scored, compared to the Bengals aggreagate of minus 9. I think the Arizona banana-skin will still be in the players minds and they won't want to come unstuck again. The professionalism of the players/staff will dictate that they will be ready for this game and will not be overconfident. The Chargers will no doubt have circled the Bengals on their schedule from the time the fixtures were released, but I can't really see them stopping Cincinnati. My prediction Chargers 20, Bengals 30.

The Chargers are a sinking ship. They just do not have the players. The Bengals will avoid the letdown game because of that Arizona game. They will come out play hard and dominate. They have improved every single week, so why should this stop now? I say the Bengals win big 38-3 and we will be seeing Palmer for the first time.

cheers

The Chargers are a sinking ship. They just do not have the players. The Bengals will avoid the letdown game because of that Arizona game. They will come out play hard and dominate. They have improved every single week, so why should this stop now? I say the Bengals win big 38-3 and we will be seeing Palmer for the first time.

cheers

Boy .......... I'd love to see that. I just don't know though. Lewis has been talking about a "team personality" since he got here. Now that SOME (not all) of the wrinkles have been ironed out, the Bengals personality seems to be that of a workman. This team is going to go for a lead, and then pound the ball to eat the clock. Teams that do that usually don't run up big scores. That's not to say it can't or won't happen, it just makes it a little less likely.

Notice that the guys are using a shovel as a symbol ........ not a chainsaw. Or god forbid an Axe.

the Bengals personality seems to be that of a workman. This team is going to go for a lead, and then pound the ball to eat the clock. Teams that do that usually don't run up big scores. That's not to say it can't or won't happen, it just makes it a little less likely.

Notice that the guys are using a shovel as a symbol ........ not a chainsaw. Or god forbid an Axe.

well I see the score being so high because the Chargers have shown a weakness against the pass (I mean Brian Griese lit them up...Brian friggin Griese) So the Bengals will have to pass early, get a good lead, by then the Chargers won't be able to stop anybody so there you go. 38-3

well I see the score being so high because the Chargers have shown a weakness against the pass (I mean Brian Griese lit them up...Brian friggin Griese) So the Bengals will have to pass early, get a good lead, by then the Chargers won't be able to stop anybody so there you go. 38-3

As ScottishBengal has pointed out, The Chargers have given up the most points so far this year. We could easily have scored additional touchdowns against KC last week, and the Texans the week before which would have given us scores of 41 and 31 respectively.

Defense did do a pretty good job on the #1 scoring team last week. If they play as well in San Diego, I can believe they won't give up a lot of points. Maybe not even a lot of first downs. And The Bengals haven't blown anybody out yet this year. So we could get a lopsided win here. Main thing is we all think the Bengals will take this one. Then Tomlinson can take his L and his respect and do the same thing with them that I said Holmes could.

I think it's going to be the divisional games that win the AFC North, with each team still having 3 divisionals left, it will be the deciding factor. I think we can afford to drop 1 or 2 of the other matches, if (and it's an F big IF), we beat the others in the AFC North matches.

8-8 could make it, 9-7 win the division for sure, 10-6 surely not possible after last season, 11-5 I'm either dead or asleep! Let's go for it!!!!!!!

I say the Bengals win big 38-3 and we will be seeing Palmer for the first time.

cheers

Would be a certain irony to USC's Palmer getting his first NFL experience in San Diego wouldn't there?? The contrast between the has been Flutie and the new star Palmer? I'm starting to warm up to this scenario. I could get into watching Palmer launch a couple of deep ones into the California sunshine. If it runs up the score a litte bit, well .... maybe Tomlinson won't be so inclined to associate laughter with the Bengals next time he's interviewed.

This would be a fantastic opportunity to get Palmer some snaps. However, the Bengals must get way ahead in the game to do that. I just don't see it happening. This game really scares me. :(

Note that I was quoting kevnz, and yeah ... he comes up with some good ones.

Also as ChicagoJungle says " respect all opponents. Fear none."

Welcome aboard.

I'll just add a few little stats to chew on

Sand Diego is dead last in scoring defense....The Bengals are averaging 21 points a game against some pretty good defenses, that a recipe for a blow out.

My pessimism seems to have rubbed off on you.

Nah, I've always been a pessimist :D . This team just doesn't have much experience dealing with trap games -- that showed in AZ -- and I think that'll make the game much more difficult than it ought to be. Like others here, I'd love a blowout that sees Palmer get a few snaps...I just don't see it happening.