DJ Reader injury

cincyhokie

Report is that DJ Reader is out at least a month. With our injury prognostication history it's very probable that we don't see him again until November. That is concerning. Especially against a team like the Browns, the Bengals without Reader puts them at a significant disadvantage. Can the defense adjust and can someone step up to help mitigate the loss of Reader?

NEWS: #Bengals sign FA DT TJ’s Dead Gramma, place DT DJ Reader on IR. “Gramma’s a monster,” says HC Zac Taylor. “With her at NT we expect double-digit sacks and a total lockout of Miami’s run game.” Gramma had no comment as she was rolled into the locker room room, but DT BJ Hill was heard to say, “OMG no one is coming near her!” In response to the news Vegas advanced Cincinnati to +14 point favorites.

• Haha 2

Carter is a 3TDT, Reader is a NT, so I dont think Carter will get many more snaps due to Reader's absence

Shelvin and Davis are NTs

My best guess is that we will see a LOT more of Tupou and maybe more Tufele, albeit he too is more of a 3TDT

I am also guessing Cam Sample will see much more of his snaps at DT rather than DE

Reader was not getting rotated enough, so thats a lot of snaps to replace

these are all guesses, mind you :-)

True forgot about Carter being more the 3T guy.
Whoever they bring up, my guess is they won't all that many snaps as Tupou will suck up the majority of them.
Still will need someone to rotate in periodically, because as you say, Reader was playing a ton.
Not sure one player will be able to replicate his snap percentage.

With Reader out I think Tupou is the only true NT on the active roster right now, with of course 2 others on the PS

I havent heard of them trying anyone out this week or bringing in anyone for a looksee

Havent heard of them elevating either of the two NTs off the PS yet, and the game is tonight.....so whats the holdup?   they need to have two NTs dressed

This is the only note I saw and a comment about Zach Carter as well:

Veteran Josh Tupou and rookie Zach Carter played well in Reader's absence last week, and defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo uses Cam Sample and even Joseph Ossai at tackle on obvious passing downs.

"They were active," said Anarumo. "Josh is solid as a rock and we know what we're going to get from Josh. I thought Zach went in there and battled and we'll decide -- I was going to say this week -- but today's kind of Thursday in our world. So the next two days (we'll decide) who the other guy will be."