Bengals Waive Five

Kirkendall

From Cincy Enquirer

GEORGETOWN, Ky. – The Bengals this afternoon announced that they had waived five players.

Waived are punter Eddie Johnson, center Mike Mabry, quarterback Scott Rislov, wide receiver Lance Young and linebacker LaDairis Jackson.

Jackson (knee) was waived injured, and if he is not claimed by 4 p.m. Tuesday, he reverts to the Bengals Injured Reserve list.

The Bengals now have 74 players on their roster. By league rules, they have to be down to 65 players on Aug. 31 and 53 on Sept. 5.

The Bengals will practice from 4-5:30 p.m. today.

From Bengals.com

Eddie Johnson led a list of five cuts by the Bengals Monday morning, leaving rookie free agent Kyle Larson as the club’s only punter. Johnson, a second-year player picked up on waivers from Minnesota just before training camp, struggled against the Patriots Saturday night with a 35.7-yard average and a 34 net on three punts.

Also released was rookie free-agent quarterback Scott Rislov, making seventh-rounder Casey Bramlet the No. 3 quarterback behind Carson Palmer and Jon Kitna. Rislov, out of San Jose State, didn’t take a snap in the two pre-season games.

Also cut was first-year center Mike Mabry and rookie free agent wide receiver Lance Young, while backup linebacker LaDairis Jackson (knee) was waived injured.

The Bengals picked up Mabry late last season and put him on the practice squad for the last three games before sending him to Cologne in NFL Europe. Young, out of Iowa State, had one catch for 17 yards in Tampa. Jackson, a converted defensive end, got hurt Saturday night against the Patriots and if he isn’t claimed by another club by Tuesday, he goes on the Bengals’ season-ending injured reserve list. Jackson, one of the few backup linebackers with any game experience, played in 15 games with the Redskins two years ago.

The Bengals now have 74 players on their roster and have to cut nine more by Aug. 31. The final cut to 53 is Sept. 5. Still on the roster are cornerback Dennis Weathersby, not slated to play this year, and linebacker Khalid Abdullah, who also might not play this year.

Yea, our punting is in trouble.

It's certainly emerged as a big question mark. But while I'm not sold on Larson by any means, I'm not ready to write him off, either. Punting is one of those things that are 90% mental, and maybe he was losing focus because of the competition with Richardson and Johnson. So he could respond positively to the coaches giving him a vote of confidence and clearing out Eddie J. Clearly, the Falcons game will go a long way toward determining his future.

It's certainly emerged as a big question mark. But while I'm not sold on Larson by any means, I'm not ready to write him off, either. Punting is one of those things that are 90% mental, and maybe he was losing focus because of the competition with Richardson and Johnson. So he could respond positively to the coaches giving him a vote of confidence and clearing out Eddie J. Clearly, the Falcons game will go a long way toward determining his future.

Just to expand on my punter thoughts...

Larson, as well as Johnson, would be on the 50 yard line and in (not the ball, but the actual punter) or so punting and didn't bother to angle punt it and the punts were far from good; remind me of a pee-wee league kick. They were wavy, topsy turning type line drives; the line drives will kill us the most because the coverage unit can't get down there and establish in enough time.

The stats are one thing, but fundamentals looked like they lacked on both punters at the game.

Not sure Joisey. He'd be, as well as Johnson, on the 50 yard line or so punting and didn't bother to angle punt it and the punts were far from good; remind me of a pee-wee league kick. They were wavy, topsy turning type line drives; the line drives will kill us the most because the coverage unit can't get down there and establish in enough time.

The stats are one thing, but fundamentals looked like they lacked on both punters at the game.

Regardless, he didn't lack those fundamentals when he was named the best punter in college football...

He has the skills. It's just a matter of performing, I think.

Not sure Joisey. He'd be, as well as Johnson, on the 50 yard line or so punting and didn't bother to angle punt it and the punts were far from good; remind me of a pee-wee league kick. They were wavy, topsy turning type line drives; the line drives will kill us the most because the coverage unit can't get down there and establish in enough time.

Regardless, he didn't lack those fundamentals when he was named the best punter in college football...

I'm sure they have fundamentals, but at the game, they both looked bad. And it's not like he has to study a complex playbook to get an understanding on punting. He needs to perform now, or the Bengals need to find an alternate punter.

Also, didn't BJ Sander win the best college punter award in 2003? He does sound like he's good, but he's not performing. I haven't seen anything to convince me otherwise -- and I am all-knowing. :P

Here's a snidbit of what I wrote earlier in the year.

Competing for the job is rookie and all Big-12 selection, Kyle Larson. During Nebraska’s 2003 campaign, Larson set a school record for average punts and was named to the American Football Coaches Association All American First Team punter. On January 21st, 2004, during the Senior Bowl, Larson punted for then head coach, Marvin Lewis.

So I do think he's got potential. I'll give him until the end of the pre-season and calm down.. for now. :P

I'm sure they have fundamentals, but at the game, they both looked bad. And it's not like he has to study a complex playbook to get an understanding on punting. He needs to perform now, or the Bengals need to find an alternate punter.

Also, didn't BJ Sander win the best college punter award in 2003? He does sound like he's good, but he's not performing. Here's a snidbit of what I wrote earlier in the year.

Competing for the job is rookie and all Big-12 selection, Kyle Larson. During Nebraska’s 2003 campaign, Larson set a school record for average punts and was named to the American Football Coaches Association All American First Team punter. On January 21st, 2004, during the Senior Bowl, Larson punted for then head coach, Marvin Lewis.

I'll give him until the end of the pre-season and calm down.. for now. :P

You may be right about Sanders. They were both right up there...

I'm with you that it needs to improve. I was just trying to say that we need to give it a few weeks and see what happens.

Now, that being said, I'll be shocked if they don't bring in a veteran for insurance.

Guys guys guys....you're not being optimistic here! The explanation is simple-Marvin knows that punter is not a concern for us because we won't need to punt! With this offense, we may never see a 4th down!

Back to the real world.

Larson has the potential, why not give him a chance. Richardson is aging, why not have a capable replacement ready?

Guys guys guys....you're not being optimistic here! The explanation is simple-Marvin knows that punter is not a concern for us because we won't need to punt! With this offense, we may never see a 4th down!

Back to the real world.

Larson has the potential, why not give him a chance. Richardson is aging, why not have a capable replacement ready?

Pretty cool when our only complaint on Monday is the punters. :lol::lol:

Most of us are die-hard fans, but as most fans, we want the perfect team and will complain about misgivings and shortcomings. If we didn't, then we really wouldn't care, would we? At least, that's what coach told me. ^_^^_^

Call me Mr. Controversy, but I seem to recollect Larson angling 2 punts pretty good, although they were too low and too short.

Plus, he handled a high and wide snap well on the Graham FG.

As for the next 9 see ya's IMO:

1. Pete Lougheed

2. Adam Ziesel

3. Derrick Crawford

4. Greg Scott

5. Alex Wade

6. Wendell Williams

7. Reggie Myles

8. Alvin Porter

9. Chad Hayes

I am not writing him off either.

This means that he will be getting all the snaps and coaching.

I think that he just may turn out to be a fine punter for us.

Larson will be better than Richardson last year i bet. I put $2 on it!

all those guys will be cut on the next cut schwein besides myles. He'll last till the last cut and mb make the squad....doubt it though.

Call me Mr. Controversy, but I seem to recollect Larson angling 2 punts pretty good, although they were too low and too short.

Plus, he handled a high and wide snap well on the Graham FG.

As for the next 9 see ya's IMO:

1. Pete Lougheed

2. Adam Ziesel

3. Derrick Crawford

4. Greg Scott

5. Alex Wade

6. Wendell Williams

7. Reggie Myles

8. Alvin Porter

9. Chad Hayes

Schweiney... either you've planted a micro-chip in my brain or you saw something (special teams wise ) during the Pats game that I saw as well and that was Madieu Williams playing in Reggie Myles spot as the "gunner" on punt coverage and kickoff coverage.

Out of all the People on your list , i'm surprised no one else noticed that perhaps our best special teamer from '03 might be cut ! - Madieu did a hell of a job in his spot and made 2 tackles there I think.

Good catch man- now that's what i call " watching film " ! :player:

Madieu did a hell of a job in his spot and made 2 tackles there I think.

Madieu made it hard not to notice him on specials teams. He was the dude on punt coverage who kept blocking w/ his helmet off even when the Pats player was swinging at his head.

Brooks looked good enough on special teams too, plus at CB.

Myles just don't provide any CB value the way Roberts and Brooks have shown.

Plus, Herring was gunning, too, so Myles chances to stick look thin.

As for Whalen, he should've never been signed. But it sounds like he might be the only player decision Coslet has had since being asked back. Hayes can run routes. The drops he had vs. Tampon Bay were hard hits right on the ball. I'd rather see Hayes stick than Whalen or Kelly. Take Kelly's money and give it to Rudi, IMO.

schweinhart:

As for Whalen, he should've never been signed.

Agreed

But it sounds like he might be the only player decision Coslet has had since being asked back.

May it remain that way for all time come. :D

Hayes can run routes. The drops he had vs. Tampon Bay were hard hits right on the ball. I'd rather see Hayes stick than Whalen or Kelly.

I like Hayes but would rather have Kelly. If you must have Hayes, cut Schobel. I've always been a big fan of Matt's, but he can't stay on the field... :(

Schobel does seem to be in doubt because of his injury jones. He's got to prove he's still the best pass-catching Bengals TE over the next 2 games. Or he just might get axed.

Warrick is another. I was surprised to read Hobson suggest that Warrick is a candidate to cut to give a younger WR a chance. Warrick's knee sounds like it's wasted. But ML said P-Dub will play vs. the Pigeons. We'll see.

Warrick is another. I was surprised to read Hobson suggest that Warrick is a candidate to cut to give a younger WR a chance. Warrick's knee sounds like it's wasted. But ML said P-Dub will play vs. the Pigeons. We'll see.

I too would be very surprised if they cut Warrick. If they didn't cut TJ last year, why would they axe Warrick this year? Warrick, of course, is insisting he's fine (what else would he say?). I could see the PUP list and/or IR, but I'm no medical expert and I don't know if time would make the knee any better.