NFL Rules

combatbengal

Every off season we have to hear about how the NFL committee is thinking about adding or changing rules to make the game better or safer. Two rules that they are thinking about this year just has me scratching my head. First of all, I served this great nation and love it. I'm not a racist but can't understand why the NFL is attempting to ban the N word during games. Now I do believe that the word should never be used anywhere. However, it's used in schools, neighborhoods, parties, fights, music, etc. If we can't get it out of society, what makes the NFL think they can get it out of the game? And what about other hurtful racial names being used? What about profanity? What about threats or kill em chants?

Second rule they are thinking about changing is the extra point. Should we get rid of it, change it, etc.? In my opinion I think the current extra point play can change the outcome of a game. A team can tie a game at the end of regulation and take it in to over time. Or they can go for two and either win or lose it. What is wrong with that?

/>http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000330385/article/competition-committee-discussing-42yard-extra-point

I think they shouldn't f*ck with it

I understand the intent - make the points-after-td play a little more exciting

But thats why there is that old saying about the road to hell and its paving material

The point is that the 2 point conversion is the "high risk, high reward" approach and the PAT is the "low risk, low reward" approach, and if you move the PAT back, all you do is imbalance an already perfectly balanced (IMHO) set of alternatives.

Hate the thought of doing away with the extra point and see no need to move it either.

In regards to the N word, I don't know what to make of that. Players have already come out and said it can be heard on almost every play in every game and that it's used with greatly regularity. While I understand they don't want it used and I advocate that, why is it just THAT word ?? How will the refs make the determination of who actually said it while a pile of 10 guys are fighting for a loose ball ?? I simply think they are overthinking this. In the mean time, the Washington Redskins are still, well, the Redskins.

Hate the thought of doing away with the extra point and see no need to move it either.

In regards to the N word, I don't know what to make of that. Players have already come out and said it can be heard on almost every play in every game and that it's used with greatly regularity. While I understand they don't want it used and I advocate that, why is it just THAT word ?? How will the refs make the determination of who actually said it while a pile of 10 guys are fighting for a loose ball ?? I simply think they are overthinking this. In the mean time, the Washington Redskins are still, well, the Redskins.

According to PFT, this wouldn't be a new rule, but a point of emphasis enforcing existing rules against any "abusive, threatening, or insulting language or gestures to opponents, teammates, officials ore representatives of the league".

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/25/nfl-likely-to-make-racial-slurs-a-point-of-emphasis/

It may be counter-cultural, but I think it's good for the NFL to establish a more professional culture inside the locker room and on the field. These are grown men. They are obviously capable of being self-disciplined with their bodies, their language and behavior somehow gets a huge pass. I think these guys can and should be expected to carry a high standard.

According to PFT, this wouldn't be a new rule, but a point of emphasis enforcing existing rules against any "abusive, threatening, or insulting language or gestures to opponents, teammates, officials ore representatives of the league".

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/25/nfl-likely-to-make-racial-slurs-a-point-of-emphasis/

It may be counter-cultural, but I think it's good for the NFL to establish a more professional culture inside the locker room and on the field. These are grown men. They are obviously capable of being self-disciplined with their bodies, their language and behavior somehow gets a huge pass. I think these guys can and should be expected to carry a high standard.

My guess is that some blacks will use the argument, which I've heard again and again, that when blacks use it, it's used as a term of endearment.

It's only offensive when non-blacks use it.

Funny that no one was even aware of that rule until the thought of creating a new rule to ban the N word was brought up.

Since they caught flack for the N word rule, they dug that up and said they will just be enforcing it more.

I guess because when players use other vulgar words, it's ok.

This. I understand the NFL locker room isn't your typical work environment, but it doesn't follow from that that unprofessionalism is OK.

If there is any team in the league that ought to have learned this lesson over the past 25 years it's the Bengals. The FO continually stocked the locker room with bad actors and the team went to sh*t for two decades. Forget Green or Dalton or the defensive line, the No. 1 reason the Bengals have been winners the last three years is the change in locker room culture.

Funny that no one was even aware of that rule until the thought of creating a new rule to ban the N word was brought up.

Since they caught flack for the N word rule, they dug that up and said they will just be enforcing it more.

I guess because when players use other vulgar words, it's ok.

It's more a question of evolving the notion of what constitutes "abusive" language. The N-word got a pass in certain highly subjective circumstances. Is it ok for black guys but not white guys? What about Samoans? Persians? "Honorary black guys" like Richie Incognito (or Bill Clinton)? Black player X cusses black ref and black ref uses n-word in response. OK? Not ok? No, not ok. The ref in question was strongly sanctioned last year.

It's not going away. Stop using the word. Turning a blind eye is like juggling dynamite.

And the Redskins should change their name, too. A little bit different matter, but definitely related. Have a little professionalism. The word is a slur. Just because it's been in usage there for years doesn't change that. They should have changed it 20 years ago of their own volition without being pressured from the outside.

And yeah, I find "Chief Wahoo" and others of that ilk offensive, too.

Man, I'm on fire today!

I'm not by any stretch condoning the use of the N word by anyone and NO, I don't find it's use as a term of endearment as anywhere near acceptable.

I think everything should be done to encourage people to not utter the word in any circumstance. I absolutely hate it.

I also don't think the NFL is wrong for not wanting to hear it used by their players.

To start, I don't know how they manage that while on the field. In the locker room or in practice is one thing.

However, as I mentioned before, how does someone make the determination on the field when 10 players are piled up on a loose ball ??

That's just one instance. I believe it will prove to be too much of a challenge for the refs.

Not only that, if this results in a flag for each obscenity used by players, each game is going to take 6+ hours.

My thing is that I don't like seeing people go about things in a shady manner.

I don't like them dragging up an old rule that was NEVER enforced as a means to push this new rule they are catching grief over.

Call it what it is and own it, don't hide behind something else.

Again, I just don't think it's going to work out, but hope to see the use of that word diminished.

Why not eliminated ?? Because there will always be some dumbass, closeminded, idiot of a person to utter it in a hateful manner.

You can't control stupid.

I'm not by any stretch condoning the use of the N word by anyone and NO, I don't find it's use as a term of endearment as anywhere near acceptable.

I think everything should be done to encourage people to not utter the word in any circumstance. I absolutely hate it.

I also don't think the NFL is wrong for not wanting to hear it used by their players.

To start, I don't know how they manage that while on the field. In the locker room or in practice is one thing.

However, as I mentioned before, how does someone make the determination on the field when 10 players are piled up on a loose ball ??

That's just one instance. I believe it will prove to be too much of a challenge for the refs.

Not only that, if this results in a flag for each obscenity used by players, each game is going to take 6+ hours.

My thing is that I don't like seeing people go about things in a shady manner.

I don't like them dragging up an old rule that was NEVER enforced as a means to push this new rule they are catching grief over.

Call it what it is and own it, don't hide behind something else.

Again, I just don't think it's going to work out, but hope to see the use of that word diminished.

Why not eliminated ?? Because there will always be some dumbass, closeminded, idiot of a person to utter it in a hateful manner.

You can't control stupid.

I agree with you to the extent that enforcement of this rule (or "point of emphasis") is definitely going to suck for fans. Nobody is going to see or hear anything unusual but there will be some huge plays called back or penalized because of some phantom word that the ref claims he heard from some distance away in a noisy stadium.

On the other hand, if you say and do nothing then nothing will change. Until the dynamite explodes.

This. I understand the NFL locker room isn't your typical work environment, but it doesn't follow from that that unprofessionalism is OK.

If there is any team in the league that ought to have learned this lesson over the past 25 years it's the Bengals. The FO continually stocked the locker room with bad actors and the team went to sh*t for two decades. Forget Green or Dalton or the defensive line, the No. 1 reason the Bengals have been winners the last three years is the change in locker room culture.

It's the chemistry the veterans have talked about and stated was never there until 2011.

I agree Army and feel the same way about the F word. For me, regardless of how it's used it's ALWAYS offensive.

But, Ive seen many a debate and discussion with blacks, and the ones that DO use it will tell you it's OK when they use it, but NEVER Ok when non-blacks use it, because their use of it not offensive to other blacks.

I agree Army and feel the same way about the F word. For me, regardless of how it's used it's ALWAYS offensive.

But, Ive seen many a debate and discussion with blacks, and the ones that DO use it will tell you it's OK when they use it, but NEVER Ok when non-blacks use it, because their use of it not offensive to other blacks.

My three closest friends from my time in the Army are all African Americans.

They talk to me like they talk to any of their other buddies, but they don't use the N word in any shape, form, or fashion.

They think it's being uneducated and ignorant to the true meaning of that word.

On the flip side, they always say to me that you don't have to be worried about the group of black guys, but the white guys that hangs out with them.

They don't call me Mark, they call me Marcus because they say it sounds more "black". It's all in fun and I love those guys.

However, if they were to say I was their "N", I would be pissed. If I were to say it, we would be going at it.

It's NOT acceptable.

My three closest friends from my time in the Army are all African Americans.

They talk to me like they talk to any of their other buddies, but they don't use the N word in any shape, form, or fashion.

They think it's being uneducated and ignorant to the true meaning of that word.

On the flip side, they always say to me that you don't have to be worried about the group of black guys, but the white guys that hangs out with them.

They don't call me Mark, they call me Marcus because they say it sounds more "black". It's all in fun and I love those guys.

However, if they were to say I was their "N", I would be pissed. If I were to say it, we would be going at it.

It's NOT acceptable.

I'm referring to the ones who DO use it Army, calling 'each other' that. Of course not ALL blacks use it.

On the other side there are blacks that don't like being referred to as African American either. They will say, "I was born in America, therefore I am an American. Black American, not an African American!"

In the PC world we live in, black people are referred to as African Americans. It's not my fault. I didn't create any of that. It just is.

I don't call them African Americans when I speak to my friends, I just call them Jimmy, Dre, and Chris.

I look at that just like being called caucasion. It speaks more toward ethinicity than anything else.

Not that you mean anything by it, but when I hear a white person use the term "blacks" when talking, it sounds odd to me.

I know many times when older white folks use the term "blacks" is not in any way endearing.

I don't know why people feel the need to use color in a way to describe people anyway.

Why say that black dude or that white dude that works here or there ??

Why can't it just be the dude that works here or there ??

I don't care for that descriptive even.

In the PC world we live in, black people are referred to as African Americans. It's not my fault. I didn't create any of that. It just is.

I don't call them African Americans when I speak to my friends, I just call them Jimmy, Dre, and Chris.

I look at that just like being called caucasion. It speaks more toward ethinicity than anything else.

Not that you mean anything by it, but when I hear a white person use the term "blacks" when talking, it sounds odd to me.

I know many times when older white folks use the term "blacks" is not in any way endearing.

I don't know why people feel the need to use color in a way to describe people anyway.

Why say that black dude or that white dude that works here or there ??

Why can't it just be the dude that works here or there ??

I don't care for that descriptive even.

First of all I'm just sharing how it is in my world just like you are sharing what it's like in your world.

I don't participate in political correctness. For me, because of my faith, I follow Him. He isn't politically correct and truth is absolute. So it is for me as well.

The subject is way off topic for the thread and room so I'll leave it be to stay in submission to the forum.

We are still talking around the subject of the N word and how it's use can be related to other such things.

I don't think it is off topic to such a degree and I haven't been offended by anyone's conversation.

Political correctness is simply something that exists and is a way most of society goes about doing things.

I understand it at times and then not at others. Me not wanting to acknowledge it is irrelevant to it happening.

Again, I think race and the use of the N word is an intriguing topic of conversation.

If others choose not to participate in the conversation I am also fine with that.

We are still talking around the subject of the N word and how it's use can be related to other such things.

I don't think it is off topic to such a degree and I haven't been offended by anyone's conversation.

Political correctness is simply something that exists and is a way most of society goes about doing things.

I understand it at times and then not at others. Me not wanting to acknowledge it is irrelevant to it happening.

Again, I think race and the use of the N word is an intriguing topic of conversation.

If others choose not to participate in the conversation I am also fine with that.

As long as the mods are OK with it.

Depending on everone's ages we all could have grown up at different times, situations, cultures, etc, which I just use the words 'different worlds'.

I was watching several documentaries on the Holocaust, which I never had much knowledge of, because in my world most of the news and current events I was exposed to centered on the slavery/race issue.

None of it was right or could be excused, but my wife and I were devastated after seeing the documentaries on the Holocaust! As far as I'm concerned NOTHING was ever as or more horrific than that!

I agree with army, it'll be hard to determine who may have said something racial in a pile of guys. The NCAA player that went after a fan stated that the fan called him a racial name. That was his justification for going into the stands after the fan. Then the authorities conducted an investigation and found that no one around that fan heard any racial remarks. The fan admitted calling him a name but it had nothing to do with race. Was anything racial said, it's hard to determine.

It's a shame that in todays society, we're still dealing with this racial BS!

That's part of my point in regards to banning the N word combat. It's not just the N word.

The NFL is saying they will now include the N word in attempts to curb abusive language on the field due to an already establish, yet never enforced, rule.

So not only will they have to determine who says the N word in a pile of guys or during a play, they will have to attempt to determine who said "sh*t", "piss", "f*ck", "c*nt", "cocksucker", "motherf*cker", and "tits". How exactly is that going to happen ?? What happens when they flag someone for the use of the N word, but not for calling another player a "motherf*cker" ?? Is one so much less offensive then another ?? Isn't abusive language, abusive language ??

That's part of my point in regards to banning the N word combat. It's not just the N word.

The NFL is saying they will now include the N word in attempts to curb abusive language on the field due to an already establish, yet never enforced, rule.

So not only will they have to determine who says the N word in a pile of guys or during a play, they will have to attempt to determine who said "sh*t", "piss", "f*ck", "c*nt", "cocksucker", "motherf*cker", and "tits". How exactly is that going to happen ?? What happens when they flag someone for the use of the N word, but not for calling another player a "motherf*cker" ?? Is one so much less offensive then another ?? Isn't abusive language, abusive language ??

Sort of like Abbot and Costello's "Who's on First?" :blink:;):sure: