Patriots vs. Bengals

KYBENGALFAN

Does this game excite you or like most preseason games, it's over by halftime and you'll be headed to the car by the end of the third quarter. Why do people get so excited about the preseason.. I know, it's that time of year again, but I don't get excited until the regular season kicks off.. Tell me, whomever, if you went to the game, how excited would you be.. Is anyone on Bengalszone going to the game, or is the thought of paying $50-60 is too much for an exhibition game..

Pre-season games are something a fan must endure - so close to the regular season but games that mean nothing in terms of results.

I'm surprised at the cost of tickets for the friendly games - are those prices set by the Bengals or by the NFL ?

Some football (soccer) clubs over here have "kids for a quid" (1 child for £1 = $2 approx) for certain friendly matches as well as some league games - trying to encourage 1. a family atmosphere and 2. stimulate the interest of the next generation of supporter. Would there be a market/need for this type of scheme in the Queen City? What sort of attendances do pre-season games attract?

I certainly wouldn't make the long haul to see a pre-season encounter but it's no doubt different for the more localised supporter.

Does this game excite you or like most preseason games, it's over by halftime and you'll be headed to the car by the end of the third quarter. Why do people get so excited about the preseason.. I know, it's that time of year again, but I don't get excited until the regular season kicks off.. Tell me, whomever, if you went to the game, how excited would you be.. Is anyone on Bengalszone going to the game, or is the thought of paying $50-60 is too much for an exhibition game..

I'll be there.

I wont be at the N.E. game, but I'll be at the Indianapolis game, as I will be home on leave for a couple weeks. For me, I don't care what the game is, preseason or regular. Just to be in the environment is fun for me, not to mention I don't know when I'll be coming home at any given time. Can't wait to see the game, should be fun.

WHODEY !!!

I am absolutely looking forward to it. I'm a long time Bengals fan, born in Dayton, but living these past 8-9 years in Massachusetts. I rarely get to "see" the Bengals (tho I listen to their games over Internet radio) so this will be a treat for me.

I want to see how CJ stacks up against the Pats. I want to see who does better against the Patriots defensive schemes, Kitna or Palmer. I want to see who stands up for themselves, the Pats running game (starring CD) or the Bengals run defense.

I expect the Pats to "win" (making 17 straight wins, if you count the previous pre-season game), but really hope to see the Bengals using this opportunity to test their likely weaknesses against the Patriots strengths.

Here's another angle to this game guys:

The Bengals are gonna be PUMPED! They will want to make a defensive statement, and shut down Corey, and a statement to being able to hold their own against the Super Bowl Champs!

I'm not predicting a win, but I'm not ruling one out either!

Okay, for those of you who actually saw tonight's game against the Bucs, and who are familiar with the Pats, the question becomes "what will happen when those two teams met next Saturday?"

I expect Belichick to run Dillon to death when the first team is on the field. Will the Bengal's run D be up to the task?

I also expect Belichick to mess with Palmer's mind. Did Palmer show enough presence of mind not to get flustered?

Anything else? What do you expect Lewis to focus on?

Lewis will focus on special teams, run D, dealing with the Pats LB's and Secondary, and finding out if Perry is going to be fumble prone or if he can hold onto the ball. I sure there are about 100 other points he will focus on that I can't think of because I don't know football like he does, and he's such a stickler for detail.

The question I want answered is whether or not the Pats Secondary WILL be as good this year with the 5 yard chuck rule being enforced. They lived by holding opponents recievers last year, will they die this year cause they can't?

The question I want answered is whether or not the Pats Secondary WILL be as good this year with the 5 yard chuck rule being enforced. They lived by holding opponents recievers last year, will they die this year cause they can't?

Time will tell, of course, but I don't really buy the "good only because they held" theory. I think that got a lot of currency because Peyton Manning looked like a god against KC, then stank like a rotten fish against the Pats. People wanted Manning to be great, because after never winning a playoff game, his ascension would make a great story.

But remember that the KC defense was often caught just standing around! This let the Colts play catch. Any decent QB, including P Manning, can look like a hero when the defense does that.

I think that the problem is that Manning bought into his own myth, thought that it was his greatness instead of the Chief bad D that made his numbers so good, and so he tried to throw the same way against the Pat's much, much better defense. As I remember it, Ty Law played off almost the whole game, and at the end was basically daring Manning to throw his way... and Peyton kept throwing, and Law kept picking him off. Peyton may be a little too stubborn for his own good.

Did the Pats rough up the receivers some? Sure, but probably not much more than average. Will the tighter rules be a problem? Maybe... but in their first preseason game I don't think the Pats got called for interference even once the whole time I was watching (which admittedly wasn't the whole game).

The new rule may be a big mistake, and turn the NFL into the Arena league, but I doubt it will be the Pats who have the hardest time with it - they are just too well coached.

Anyway, your list of Bengal's objectives sounds reasonable to me - thanks, I appreciate it! I like to watch a game having some idea what to focus on myself.

Time will tell, of course, but I don't really buy the "good only because they held" theory. I think that got a lot of currency because Peyton Manning looked like a god against KC, then stank like a rotten fish against the Pats. People wanted Manning to be great, because after never winning a playoff game, his ascension would make a great story.

But remember that the KC defense was often caught just standing around! This let the Colts play catch. Any decent QB, including P Manning, can look like a hero when the defense does that.

I think that the problem is that Manning bought into his own myth, thought that it was his greatness instead of the Chief bad D that made his numbers so good, and so he tried to throw the same way against the Pat's much, much better defense. As I remember it, Ty Law played off almost the whole game, and at the end was basically daring Manning to throw his way... and Peyton kept throwing, and Law kept picking him off. Peyton may be a little too stubborn for his own good.

Did the Pats rough up the receivers some? Sure, but probably not much more than average. Will the tighter rules be a problem? Maybe... but in their first preseason game I don't think the Pats got called for interference even once the whole time I was watching (which admittedly wasn't the whole game).

The new rule may be a big mistake, and turn the NFL into the Arena league, but I doubt it will be the Pats who have the hardest time with it - they are just too well coached.

Anyway, your list of Bengal's objectives sounds reasonable to me - thanks, I appreciate it! I like to watch a game having some idea what to focus on myself.

i dunno about that... they were showing a bunch of clips of that game during the packers/seahawks game of the patriots mauling them past 5 yards, pretty badly. a bunch of them situations where they were probably beat but they grabbed the receiver and the ball dropped a few feet in front of them meaning they could have made a play.

it shall be interesting to see how this effects the patriots, i do agree though that this isn't going to ruin their team but that game might have been different if it was called the way it will be now (remember that the patriots offense didn't exactly light it up either).

As I remember it, Ty Law played off almost the whole game, and at the end was basically daring Manning to throw his way... and Peyton kept throwing, and Law kept picking him off. Peyton may be a little too stubborn for his own good.

I was also watching the Packers/Seahawks game and they said that upon review of the tape of that game there were 15 uncalled holding/interference penalties against the Pats D...and I'm not sure they even reviewed the entire game!!

Manning or any other QB would have a hard time throwing against a D that held the recievers all day, keeping them out of position, off their routes and letting others step in and make the picks. A couple probably were Peyton getting caught up in 2 near perfect games, but only 1 or 2 out of the 4 or 5 he threw.

I like to evaluate during games myself, problem is I see so few of them I can only go by stats and highlights...or other people's reports here in this forum. Its really a great way for me to get closer to the action and keep up with local fans.

I will be there Saturday evening, hoping to see the boys do a lot better than against the mediocre Bucs. Frankly, I was disappointed in our effort. Palmer threw well, the receivers have to learn to catch his passes. The defense in the secondary, despite the hype, was sad; it looked like they were always waiting, cautiously and timidly, for the receivers to catch the ball. O'Neal, Herring, Porter...didn't see much out of them. Not aggressive at all!

I believe some of the guys on the bubble, like TJ and Chad Hayes, had their chances and blew it. It will be interesting to see if either make the team. Rookie linebacker, "Skinny" Miller, looked real good. He plays with heart.

Overall, even though it was a pre-season game, we did not look good. I believe the defensive coaches may be a little unemotional; they need to light a fire under their rear ends. Are these coaches competent, just because they were good players?

TJ and Hayes better have great games for the rest of the preseason if they think they will make the team.

I dont think the receivers are used to receiving a pass that fast. I can tell u that its a big difference when u receive a pass that is coming full speed at u and stings when u catch it rather than just snuggly falling in your hands. The faster the ball though, the more chances that you can get YAC.

As far as what we'll see on Saturday night, I believe the defenses NE will send will be pretty much vanilla. It's a gentlemen's agreement that you don't run many complicated offenses or defenses until the third preseason game. Plus Bill won't want to put any new defenses on tape for his regular season opponents.

As far as what we'll see on Saturday night, I believe the defenses NE will send will be pretty much vanilla. It's a gentlemen's agreement that you don't run many complicated offenses or defenses until the third preseason game. Plus Bill won't want to put any new defenses on tape for his regular season opponents.

THE WHOLE GAME WILL BE VANILLA!!!! :lol:

It's PreSeason, silly.

That's why I don't comment too much on Pre-Season ball. I could give a s**t less what a bunch of scrubs can do with a limited playbook.

;)

Here is what CD had to say about Saturday's game....

No nostalgic homecoming for Dillon

By Michael Smith, Globe Staff | August 16, 2004

FOXBOROUGH -- It's nothing new to hear a pro football player, especially here, say before he plays his old team that the reunion is really no big deal, that he approaches each game the same

Corey Dillon said so yesterday regarding his first game in Cincinnati (Saturday, 7:30 p.m.) as a visitor, and he said it rather convincingly.

"It's another preseason game," Dillon said after practice. "I'm not going to make a big deal out of it because it's really not a big deal. It's just another opponent, and I've got to go play ball."

The Bengals aren't just another opponent. They're the team that drafted Dillon in the second round in 1997, with whom he spent the first seven years of his career, and for whom he rushed for more than 8,000 yards and established two NFL single-game rushing records (since broken).

But Cincinnati is also the team Dillon felt held him hostage, and so convinced was he that he finally would be set free that, at the end of the Bengals' season finale against the rival Browns last year, he tossed his equipment into the stands at Paul Brown Stadium as he walked off the field for the last time as a member of the home team.

Yet he said going back this weekend would stir no emotions.

"No. Not at all," he said. "I'm serious when I say this, I'm not going to make a big deal out of it because it's not really a big deal.

"I'm a Patriot now. That situation up there was over Dec. 28, and that's where I left it. I'm with my new teammates, we're jelling, and I'm happy as ever. I'm not even trying to look back. It's just another game."

As for why he left Friday's game after five carries, Dillon said it wasn't because he was fatigued but rather because he was hurt. "I got hit in the rib. It wasn't anything that has to do with conditioning," he said. "As you can see in practice, I run all day. That's not even a question. Just a little rib injury. It's fine now."

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patr...ing_for_dillon/