Should the Bengals re-sign AJ Green?

walzav29

Don't have a heart attack. The guy is great, but the list goes on and on of superstar WR's that don't win the SB. This team is on the verge of a SB defense. I think if the emphasis is the run, te's and a pass to some serviceable guys like Jones/Sanu and who ever else could get the job done. Basically the Seattle formula.

An effort should be made to sign him, certainly, but ultimately it will depend on his money demands.

One guy eating all the cap means the team cant afford to surround him with top talent to win

We'll see if he is a team guy or a me guy when the contract comes up

Hard to blame him if he tries to get as much as possible, especially considering what he does for a living and the toll we know it takes.

If the Bengals pick up his fifth-year option, he will make transition money in 2015, and then the Bengals could tag him in 2016. So he is already looking at making ~$19 million in 2015-16. So figure a long-term deal will be somewhere in the range of $10 million/year minimum.

I do think they have to extend either AJ or Dalton this year, and I think Green is the default candidate. So to answer your question, Walt, yeah, they should. The D will be OK.

If your philosophy is build through the draft and your take a guy #4 overall, with the thought of him being very good to great, you have to know this day was coming. I think they have been planning for it as well and it wouldn't surprise me to see them get him done. I also wouldn't have any heartache with that move.

Dalton on the other hand would piss me straight the f*ck off. There's simply NO reason to hand him a big dollar extension at this point in time.

2014 is a pivotal season for him and one that could see the team move in another direction should things not turn out the way they are hoping.

Yes to Green.

Hard to blame him if he tries to get as much as possible, especially considering what he does for a living and the toll we know it takes.

He already has many millions of dollars and has many more to earn yet.

We cant win with him alone out there, and he has to know that

He will, while already richer than 99% or more of all people on earth, ultimately have to decide if he needs to be even more stinking rich or he wants quality teammates with him so the team can win.

If he goes the former (selfish) direction, seeya, we'll pocket the r3 comp pick

He's a talented guy, no doubt - but you cant win with just 1 talented guy

The Bengals business model is to feature a couple of offensive stars. Green is that star. He is going nowhere, and will be signed at all costs.

I have no issue for him getting paid, as there are plenty of reasons to think he can deliver. His fingerprints are on quite a few errors made in 2013, so I think he has room to improve. The person throwing the ball also has room to improve. Should that happen, no one will blink when he gets re-upped at mega levels.