1982 Superbowl (Don't Read if you don't want to rehash)

walzav29

Like an idiot I put on the 30 minute recap of that game. You can see it On-Demand. Talk about giving away the game.

Kenny's INT inside the 20 after recovering opening kick fumble

Collinsworth Fumble after catching long pass

Fumbled kick return right before the end of the 1st half giving SF a free 3 pts

The horrific play calling and missed assignments when it was 1st and goal from the 4 yard line

The other Ken Ander interception that led to another 3 pts for SF

I'm turning 40 this yr. I've spent every Sunday waiting to see the score flash (from Detroit) through the 80's. Then I got to watch every miserable game of the 90's with the wonderful invention of the satellite. Now after another gut wrenching playoff loss. I'm thinking. At my age. Should I invest every Sunday watching? Can I move to just being a casual fan? 32 seasons are alot. I actually felt my blood pressure rise watching a REPLAY of a Superbowl from 32 years ago. That can't be healthy. I think i'm winding down. It's just seems so hard to get a Superbowl win, and the agony of getting their and losing is WORSE than not even going.

I went to Super Bowl XVI, it was 1981 and I was 10 years old.

I knew enough about the game to get irritated when the mistakes were being mad and feeling lousy when they lost.

The plus side was that I got separated from my father and a really cool security guard walked me across the field to get to lost and found.

I suddenly forgot that I had no clue where my family was and had a great time. Still a lousy outcome though.

Casual fan ?? Well, I get on here and I go to some of the games down at the stadium (3 this season).

Outside of that, I usually DVR the games and watch them when I get home later fast forwarding through the crap.

If I have something else to do, I won't put it off to watch the game live.

I use to NEVER miss the game when it was on live and would schedule things around when the game came on.

I'll never go back to that.

Can I move to just being a casual fan?

I did. It's easier than you would think. But based on my experience, step one is giving up blogging about them...

Oh boy! You've opened up my door now with the 'casual fan'!

I became a 'casual' fan, not only of the Bengals, but of ALL sports after the strikes in the 1980s! I am from the old school and I decided I would no longer support their millions of dollars.

78% of NFL players are bankrupt between their 2nd and 5th year of retirement!

/>http://www.omg-facts.com/Sports/78-Of-NFL-Players-Are-Bankrupt-Just-Two/53570

/>http://www.omg-facts.com/Sports/78-Of-NFL-Players-Are-Bankrupt-Just-Two/53570

WHAT??? How can someone mis-manage millions of dollars? I understand how having an 'agent' is a good thing and probably necessary, but outside of that and what percentage he takes, I'll manage my own money, thank you very much! If you do that, or have your wife do it, with a budget set up, you either have to live way above your means or someone is stealing from you, directly or indirectly!

I was a bigger fan when the 1982 SB was played and was as disappointed as anyone else was!

I recorded the 2 Bengal SB thirty minute specials NFL channel was showing on all the SBs. Watched them both, and when I replay those games and many of the playoff games, it really boils down to the reason Paul Brown said what he said, "Football is a game of errors. Whoever makes the fewest usually wins!"

I think having those turnovers in the playoff games that the Bengals have played were the very things that kept them from getting a trophy!

I can't explain why the turnover curse has followed them like it has. I know it can't be blamed on lack of discipline, because Forrest Greg and Sam Wyche were all about discipline!

I think AJ Green said it best when he was asked in an interview at the Pro Bow, "What's it going to take to win the playoffs for the Bengals?"

He said, "We can't turn the ball over!"

I know you can't expect a team to go without a QB throwing 'some' interceptions and there are going to be a certain amount of fumbles, but it just seems with the Bengals they seem to come in critical key situations!

That was a recent change in my fan status. I don't know if I could say that just two seasons ago.

Each season that goes by, watching the games live is less of a priority.

I still watch, pay attention, and form opinions to share here, as well as keeping up with players status, but watching live has diminished greatly.

I credit the Dalton era with helping me to (mostly) just relax and enjoy the ride. The Bengals are pretty boring these days, and I mean that in a good way. Compared to the chronic losing of the Nineties and the unceasing, exhausting drama of the Aughts, these Bengals are...well, just a football team. And if they haven't yet shown themselves to be the champions we all crave, 30 other teams will be in the same category next Monday and the Bengals are in better shape than most. I'm excited to see how things develop over the coming months, and I'm optimistic about next season. In my view, there's no reason not to be. At least not yet.

Heck, when I do watch football live, sometimes it's not even the Bengals.

I've mentioned that my oldest was born in Texas and how he's now a Texans fan.

Well, i'll watch the Texans when they are on because it's cool to watch a game with a 7 year old who's into their team.

We will be taking a long weekend this coming season to go down to the Texans game with him.

A couple days in San Antonio followed by a couple more in Houston to catch the game.

Oh yeah, his favorite player is JJ Watt.

Good pick from my standpoint. Even got him a jersey.

Seriously, when I first started on this board almost 10 years ago (wow, feeling old now) I was fanatical with it.

On the site, scanning websites for each and every article I could get a hold of, much of my spare time was spent doing something sports related and much of that was the Bengals, jerseys, going to games whenever I could, and when I couldn't my Sunday was spent TOTALLY dedicated to watching the game and other games.

There was a place in San Antonio called Fatso's and it got to a point I was creating flyers and sending them out in mass emails at work to get people to come out and watch the games there. I would get there at 11am (if you ordered food, you could get beer at 11am) and wouldn't leave until after the late game. Once I got married and got back from Afghanistan, I got the Sunday ticket and NOTHING came between me and watching the game.

Now ??

I'm still on the site and still look at articles, although not as much.

If I do something sports related, it's usually with my kids and whatever they are playing at the moment.

If I do buy jerseys, they are the knockoffs from China for next to nothing. That way when they leave, i'm only out $20.

Still go to a least a couple home games a season, but it's not a priority.

Rarely watch a Bengals game on TV when it's actually being aired and usually watch it later. See comment about mowing the lawn.

I guess you can call it becoming a "casual" fan, I just call it getting older and having other priorities in life.

I still love football very much though and regardless of how "casual" I may get, I will always come to the Zone as long as it's around.

BUT you can still catch my Bengal stylings on twitter. walzav31 - Andrew Whitworth called me a moron. I felt after the playoff game Dalton was getting a pretty big national beat down. I metioned to some of the Bengals players that they didn't have Andy's back. Here was Whitworths response

"Don't be a moron.. Try showing us respect. If you believe what you said then you can't read or hear. Move on!!"

Which I found strangely obnoxious. YES. I'm just a "fan" and he's an almighty player! But if he gets let go, he could sign with the 49ers or Steelers in a heartbeat and not think twice. Nor should he. My point is to quote Seinfeld I believe. Is us fans love the uniform.

Fans do love the uniform.

It's why when the team makes a pick in the draft and some of us don't care for it (**COUGH** shawn Williams **COUGH**) we eventually come around to rooting for the player to do well. I hope he turns into the Chris Crocker Jr. they all think he will be. That's just the nature of being a fan I think. If a player leaves, I wish them well for the most part and move on. Justin Smith comes immediately to mind.

I have been a Bengal fan since they were brought into the league. I guess you can say that I’m a fanatic. The house, car and motorcycle are decked out in Bengal colors, magnets, pictures, etc. Two years ago when we lost in the playoffs I was so pissed that I almost threw all my Bengal stuff out. This past season, I turned the game off, couldn’t watch anymore of it. I’ve never done that before. Game day I have my Bengals jersey on, with my Bengals pants, slippers and Bengal football in hand. I watch every game live but I’m getting to the point that I don’t want to waste any more time doing that. I’ll always be a Bengal fan but have no desire to go to a live game anymore or even watch them on TV while the game is being played. May start recording it and watching highlight later.

The only reason I have gone down to watch the game at the stadium is to take my 7 year old to a game.

He LOVES being down at the stadium even though he doesn't know the ins and outs of the game.

We have a good time, so it's worth it to me. I only went to 3 games this year though.

I'm already in DVR mode when they are televised.

The only reason I have gone down to watch the game at the stadium is to take my 7 year old to a game.

He LOVES being down at the stadium even though he doesn't know the ins and outs of the game.

We have a good time, so it's worth it to me. I only went to 3 games this year though.

I'm already in DVR mode when they are televised.

I'm hoping, one of these days, to get back there in the month of September, and catch a Reds game on a Saturday and a Bengals game on Sunday. Never seen either stadium.