Gio for Offensive Rookie of the Year.

Wraith

Vontaze is getting alot of run for Defensive Player of the Year and well deserved. Gio is producing spectacularly and puttin ghis stats up agains the other rookies his 4.7 Yards per Attempt and his 1027 yards put him on par with Eddie Lacy and ahead of the other rookies.

The way I see it, it's Zac Stacy, Eddie Lacy, Keenan Allen, and Gio Bernard in no particular order. Gio is behind Eddie in total yards by less than 50 yards but is tied in total TDs. I would think his contribution for a potential division minner would hold more merit than Lacy's contribution for a team likely out of the playoffs.

I think Kiko Alonso needs to be in that discussion, though I know they hate crediting defensive players with much of anything. He's just behind Burfict in total tackles with 131.

there is an Offensive Rookie of the Year and a Defensive Rookie of the Year, so Kiko will get his due.

Indeed, though offensive awards always seem to trump the defensive ones and you almost never see defensive players get awards like MVP. Hell, you almost never see anyone but QBs and the occasional RB get MVP. Anywho, I think Kiko is one of the most stand-out rookies this year and can't think of another defensive rookie who would deserve it more. As for the offensive ROY, I'd say that Lacey deserves it so far, but if Bernard catches or surpasses him, then it's Bernard all day. Gio might be playing for a winning team, but that sort of makes what Lacey is doing all the more impressive I think.

EDIT: Just read the actual thread title. Makes sense now, my fault.

Won't happen because there are other offensive rookies with more production.

That's not the fault of Gio mind you, just how it is.

Blame the coaching staff if you must find someone.

I would love to see him get that kind of an award, but I can almost guarantee you, he, personally, isn't even thinking about it.

I saw the interview after Sunday, and he wasn't even aware that he was one yard short of 100 yards!

His response was, "No, I wasn't aware of it, and I personally, don't care about those things. I just want to win!"

The way I see it, the competitors are Zac Stacey, Andre Ellington, Keenan Allen, Eddie Lacy, and Gio Bernard (with a possible entrance by D.J. Fluker though his team has not performed). Let look at 3 key stats; total yards from scrimmage, total TDs, and yard per catch/carry as a way to evaluate these competitors.

Eddie Lacy Total yards: 1093 (887 rushing and 206 receiving) Total TDs: 7 (7 rushing and 0 receiving) Yards per carry/catch: 4.3

Gio Bernard Total yards: 1023 (620 rushing and 403 receiving) Total TDs: 7 (4 rushing and 3 receiving) Yards per catch/carry: 5.75

Zac Stacy Total yards: 824 (721 rushing and 103 receiving) Total TDs: 6 (5 rushing and 1 receiving) Yards per catch/carry: 4.25

Andre Ellington Total yards: 751 (487 rushing and 264 receiving) Total TDs: 4 (3 rushing and 1 receiving) Yards per catch/carry: 6.59

Keenan Allen Total yards: 902 (0 rushing and 902 receiving) Total TDs: 5 (0 rushing and 5 receiving) Yards per catch/carry: 14.8

I really believe it is neck and neck at this point between Lacy and Bernard certainly when you look at impact both runners have had a far greater impact on their teams performance than Allen who has only touched the ball 61 times. I think it will come down to the last three games but if the yards and TDs come close, Bernard's greater explosiveness and flexibility combined with the teams' record will allow Gio to win the award.

The way I see it, the competitors are Zac Stacey, Andre Ellington, Keenan Allen, Eddie Lacy, and Gio Bernard (with a possible entrance by D.J. Fluker though his team has not performed). Let look at 3 key stats; total yards from scrimmage, total TDs, and yard per catch/carry as a way to evaluate these competitors.

Eddie Lacy Total yards: 1093 (887 rushing and 206 receiving) Total TDs: 7 (7 rushing and 0 receiving) Yards per carry/catch: 4.3

Gio Bernard Total yards: 1023 (620 rushing and 403 receiving) Total TDs: 7 (4 rushing and 3 receiving) Yards per catch/carry: 5.75

Zac Stacy Total yards: 824 (721 rushing and 103 receiving) Total TDs: 6 (5 rushing and 1 receiving) Yards per catch/carry: 4.25

Andre Ellington Total yards: 751 (487 rushing and 264 receiving) Total TDs: 4 (3 rushing and 1 receiving) Yards per catch/carry: 6.59

Keenan Allen Total yards: 902 (0 rushing and 902 receiving) Total TDs: 5 (0 rushing and 5 receiving) Yards per catch/carry: 14.8

I really believe it is neck and neck at this point between Lacy and Bernard certainly when you look at impact both runners have had a far greater impact on their teams performance than Allen who has only touched the ball 61 times. I think it will come down to the last three games but if the yards and TDs come close, Bernard's greater explosiveness and flexibility combined with the teams' record will allow Gio to win the award.

Thanks for the stats break down and given how close the tot. yards and TDs are, if they remain neck and neck, I would see Gio getting the award given the over-all impact it has had on the team's total success.

Thanks for the stats break down and given how close the tot. yards and TDs are, if they remain neck and neck, I would see Gio getting the award given the over-all impact it has had on the team's total success.

I would only point out that Lacy's numbers would be higher if not for missing several weeks to injury. Now that he's healthy, as the featured back in GB it is likely he'll finish the season with #s superior to Gio's. Same for Allen, except in his case it took half the season to settle in as the WR1 for the Chargers. But he's putting up huge #s every week now.

I love Gio and hope he wins, but splitting carries with BJGE will likely continue to keep his #s down.

I would only point out that Lacy's numbers would be higher if not for missing several weeks to injury. Now that he's healthy, as the featured back in GB it is likely he'll finish the season with #s superior to Gio's. Same for Allen, except in his case it took half the season to settle in as the WR1 for the Chargers. But he's putting up huge #s every week now.

I love Gio and hope he wins, but splitting carries with BJGE will likely continue to keep his #s down.

Lacy might not play again this week, hasn't practiced all week so far.

I honestly think Gio should be the frontrunner by a decent margin. Lacy ought to be the only other guy in the same zip code for this award (if we assume the typical unfortunate ignorance of non-skill position players persists), and that is still not so close in my opinion.

The yardage is so close that it's a wash, and Gio's multi-faceted skill set and the resulting diverse statistical production are more noteworthy than Lacy's solid but unspectacular rookie season. I don't think the win/loss records of the two teams should matter terribly much if at all.

That isn't to say I actually expect Bernard to earn this recognition, because... well... Bengals.

Lacy might not play again this week, hasn't practiced all week so far.

Yeah, I just saw that, too. Maybe Gio starts to pull away with it this week! :)

Keenan Allen may have cemented it last night with his two TD grabs.

Gio will have to put up some real #s these last few games.

I have hope, given that Pitt's run D is not great. Even if Gio doesn't get it though, he's had an amazing run. To be a front runner for the award even though he's splitting carries with someone else says a ton about his play making abilities. I could re-watch that run he had against Miami all day.

Keenan had 2 catches for 21 yards and even with those 2 TDs, his TD total still now only matches Gio's. I think Gio is still ahead of Keenan Allen.

The issue is that Allen's #s are favorable when stacked against some very productive and veteran WRs across the league. You can't say the same for Gio when comparing him to other RBs.

Not that this is Gio's fault. Keep in mind, this award isn't for the most promising rookie or the most electrifying one. It's typically reserved for the rookie with the most production relative to their position.