Geno Atkins extended

volcom69

I think the thing that first crossed my mind is "what a steal" I mean every football talking head I have read or seen this offseason all talked about Geno being the best DT in football and how his upside was amazing. Yeah, a lot for a DT maybe, but I still think the team got off cheap. Great deal and showed that Geno wanted to be here as much as the team wanted him here.

Anyone thinking this isn't an absolute great deal for the Bengals either doesn't know sh*t about Geno or just hate the Bengals.

Either way I couldn't care less. The Bengals didn't even need to make him the highest paid DT in the league. They only needed to make him comfortable. I wonder how much went into how the team could continue to grow if he pushed his dollar amount ?? I would love to know what was said during the negotiation process.

Bottomline, Geno will be able to stay here for quite some time and at a good deal for the Bengals as well.

What's not to like ??

For a fan since the mid-70's, I can only say:

"who is this team?"

Seriously - great move and really genius timing if you think about it. Hard Knocks finishes up tonight, so they announce just before that and less than a week before the season opener. Lots to be excited about and ends a potential distraction. I couldn't be more pumped about this deal.

Isn't it amazing how far this kid has come? Remember his training camps early in his career? We'd see him in the backfield all day during preseason games but folks said "that's against backups, etc". So us fans said fine. Let's see what he can do vs starters and sure enough he was still living in opponent's backfield

Yeah, i'm looking forward to the Hard Knocks episode to see how much is revealed about the process with Geno.

Love what this team is doing !!!

Me too. And I hope Chad brings his HOF??? jacket and gives it to Geno. I think Geno will need it before Chad does.

All the dirty details from Reedy.

The official numbers on the Geno Atkins contract are in, and it appears to be a very fair deal for both sides. The $55 million extension, includes a $15 million signing bonus and $3 million roster bonus next year.

Atkins’ cap number for this season goes from $1,546,539 (23rd highest on Bengals) to $7,123,539, which is the third highest on the team. Only Leon Hall’s $8.4 million and Michael Johnson’s franchise tag of $11.175 million are bigger. The cap number includes $4 million in base salary, the prorated signing bonus of $3 million, the prorated signing bonus of $118,114 and a workout bonus of $5,425.

A look at the remaining years:

2014 (Cap number of $9 million) – Base salary of $2.7 million, $3 million roster bonus, the $3 million prorated signing bonus and a $300,000 workout bonus.

2015 (Cap number of $9 million) – Base salary of $5.7 million, the $3 million prorated signing bonus and a $300,000 workout bonus.

2016 (Cap number of $9.6 million) – Base salary of $6.3 million, the $3 million prorated signing bonus and a $300,000 workout bonus.

2017 (Cap number of $10.6 million) – Base salary of $7.3 million, the $3 million prorated signing bonus and a $300,000 workout bonus.

2018 (Cap number of $9.55 million) – Base salary of $9.25 million and a $300,000 workout bonus.

Should Atkins receive NFL Defensive Player of the Year in any season, he would get a $100,000 bonus.

I offer anyone to take a quick look at those base salaries in each year.

Talk about working one heck of a deal.

Very managable for a player of Atkins level.

For sure,Just abit suprised didn't front load it vs back load it since we still have plenty cap room,But then again they can always carry the cap over to next year.

It's a very typical Bengals deal in how it spreads the hit evenly over all years. It is also extremely cap friendly. Not that I see any reason to expect they would be looking to let him go, but the deal is cap neutral as soon as 2015. Great deal for both sides.