Football Gameplan's 2013 NFL Draft Grades - Bengals

EmDiggy

If it is believed or not, the Bengals say they had Hunt rated in the top 21 players on their board.

On top of that, after they selected Hunt 28 other teams passed on Moore before he was selected in the 3rd.

As for Bernard, while he was my favorite back in the draft, more importantly he was the BENGALS favorite back in the draft and they made that known for some time. Actually, I think they did that to a fault and it just worked out. While I liked Franklin, he went in the bottom of the 4th round, so other teams passed on him multiple times with 6 RB's going before him (including Knile Davis).

A "B-" seems harsh, but people view things differently so it's whatever.

Always nice to see your videos and the time you put into them.

Some like Hunt, some don't. Hard to say he's hit his ceiling with so little football under his belt. To me, its the opposite: guy achieved with very little football experience and knowledge.. only room to go up!

As for Gio, my only concern is his top end speed. He is shift and has great hands so being a homerun threat is not a game breaker. I think it all comes down to how they use him. More indicative is how the O line is asked to do new thing needed for bubble screens, pulling and moving away from traditional Bengals power & iso runs....

I do like the UDFA's... some decent talent, and I agree this team has the enviable position of having loads of talent and some of it will need to be parted with. I just hope they don't go with guys based on contract value *cough* kyle cook *cough*, or draft position....

Emory liked Hunt as well. IIRC he was the top sleeper in his DE review. He just objects to taking him when a more polished player was on the board, but that diesn't take into account the Bengals' situation. They don't need any immediate pass rush help. They had 51 sacks last year (third in the league) and just added James Harrison. Hunt was selected precisely as a project for the future, and maybe he can block a few FGs in the meantime. You can argue the second round was too early for a project, but thanks to the Palmer trade the Bengals had an extra second and could afford a roll of the dice.

Re the B-, I was surprised it was that high with the Bengals taking Bernard high in the second. Emory didn't even mention him in his RB preview until near the end, and then only to dump on him as nothing special. I know if they'd taken someone I considered college free agent quality in the second round, I'd be going nuts on the team. But hey I'll take it.

Some like Hunt, some don't. Hard to say he's hit his ceiling with so little football under his belt. To me, its the opposite: guy achieved with very little football experience and knowledge.. only room to go up!

If his ceiling is NCAA leading 2.6 seconds to hit a quarterback sign me up.

If his ceiling is NCAA leading 2.6 seconds to hit a quarterback sign me up.

Hunt certainly has the athleticism to be a fantastic pass-rusher. After watching several of his games on youtube, that much is obvious.

However. Also obvious is that Hunt is a poor run defender. Any time he has to tackle a person on the move - QBs included - he looks like he has no idea what to do. I'm sure that's an area that will improve with experience and coaching. As talented an athlete as he is, and as much as he has already shown he can do, Hunt is definitely pretty raw.