Jermaine Gresham

walzav29

This dude needs his own topic. I was disgusted Saturday. The Bengals had a 3 and out to open the game on defense and then he dropped a 3rd down conversion. Was it the game? No, but it set a tone. No matter the scheme. He has to catch the ball. He is a 1st rd TE. I see what Gronk and Hernandez do and it's frustrating. He has fumbled in critical spots, and drops too many passes. I hope Orson Charles gets alot of work next year. He has better hands.

This dude needs his own topic. I was disgusted Saturday. The Bengals had a 3 and out to open the game on defense and then he dropped a 3rd down conversion. Was it the game? No, but it set a tone. No matter the scheme. He has to catch the ball. He is a 1st rd TE. I see what Gronk and Hernandez do and it's frustrating. He has fumbled in critical spots, and drops too many passes. I hope Orson Charles gets alot of work next year. He has better hands.

That was not an easy catch. Dalton had an easy throw over the middle and threw it high

Gresham is frustrating. On the one hand, it's hard to argue with his progress. 64 catches, 737 yards (11.5 yard average) and 5 TDs in 2012 is a solid performance. On the other hand, Jermaine just seems to wilt in big games. The brighter the spotlight, the worse he plays.

One thing I wonder about is how his snap count impacts his performance. Jermain spends a LOT of time on the field. According to the snap count data over at FO, only three other guys -- Boling, Zeitler and Moobs -- were out for more snaps this season than Jermaine. He had the third-most snaps of any TE across the league. Guys like Owen Daniels, Jimmy Graham and Aaron Hernandez spend a lot less time on the field. Daniels was out there for 77% of Houston's snaps, Graham for 63% of NO's and Hernandez for just 46% of NE's, versus 95% of Cincy's offensive snaps for Jermaine.

I don't care how other TE's are used and I don't care where the ball is thrown.

If the ball hits ANY player in the hands that is suppose to catch and they don't, they f*cked up.

I said it before the game that I really hoped they would target Gresham due to his matchups.

I followed that by saying that my only concern with that is seeing him have another horrible game.

They did what I hoped and he did what I feared.

Again, if a new TE coach helps, great, but they need to do something to get more from him.

Again, if a new TE coach helps, great, but they need to do something to get more from him.

I suspect they already feel they are. Gresham's snap counts (not to mention keeping 5,000 WRs on the roster) tell me they prioritize his role in the passing game well behind his role as a sixth offensive lineman. Otherwise they would have made more of an effort to get a blocking TE to take some of the load off Jermaine and allow him to be fresher, more focused, and spend more time practicing and honing his receiving skills.

He had at least 4 passes hit him in the hands that he dropped. Yes Datlon threw high but he is SUPPOSED to throw high against good coverage, Gresham's advantage is his size and he needs to play a little basketball in situations like that box his guy out go up and make the catch. Jermaine played an awful game when we needed him to come through to help loosen the coverage on Green, no excuse. This team is desperate for playmakers and we have the guys who can do it they just need to get better. Personally other than a few lineman I am in favor of buttressing the defense more than the o because that unit is a whole lot closer to elite and a few more studs (partcularly more speed at Safety and Linebacker) might make them #1.

He had at least 4 passes hit him in the hands that he dropped. Yes Datlon threw high but he is SUPPOSED to throw high against good coverage, Gresham's advantage is his size and he needs to play a little basketball in situations like that box his guy out go up and make the catch. Jermaine played an awful game when we needed him to come through to help loosen the coverage on Green, no excuse. This team is desperate for playmakers and we have the guys who can do it they just need to get better. Personally other than a few lineman I am in favor of buttressing the defense more than the o because that unit is a whole lot closer to elite and a few more studs (partcularly more speed at Safety and Linebacker) might make them #1.

I agree with you that those passes were very contested. Gresham had to deal with a defenders hand either on his hands or on the ball itself as he's catching it. It's not easy to catch under those conditions

I agree with you that those passes were very contested. Gresham had to deal with a defenders hand either on his hands or on the ball itself as he's catching it. It's not easy to catch under those conditions

Yes, and the question is why. Gresham should be able to beat a LB every time, but was unable to do so. Poor play-calling, Dalton having to throw the ball too soon, or Gresham not being able to create separation? All of the above?

Gresham is not the player this team thought he would be when they drafted him. I don't think he will ever be that player if he hasn't turned the corner when it matters after 3 years.

He's afraid of contact. Skittish in traffic. Entirely inconsistent for a solid TE. TE's are for dependably moving the chains, making the important catch, the tough yards.

Gresham simply isn't good enough.

This was written about Gresham coming out of college. NOT MY WORDS.

He truly is the elite prospect at his position, with the pass-catching skills that have many experts comparing him to perennial All-Pros Tony Gonzalez (Atlanta) and Antonio Gates (San Diego).

If he has to suddenly work on his hands, I would ask, what the f*ck happened to them ??

He had that ability coming out of college.

He has the ability, he's just frustrating to me right now.

He seems very inconsistent with his effort.

Some games FIRED UP, some games NOTHING.