2013 Draft

walzav29

I look at MJ in the manner of him getting better because of the other guys around him.

Having Geno blowing everyone up rushing through the middle frees things up for the ends.

I guess it all depends on how they view MJ versus Dunlap.

Do THEY think one has more upside than the other ??

Either way, there is always the risk of a player dropping off after getting paid.

If it was a rare thing, it wouldn't always be a source of conversation.

you mean like Geathers...?

I think they need to keep both. Both guys could go to somewhere like Houston or Atlanta and be All Pro. Keep 'em.

I look at MJ in the manner of him getting better because of the other guys around him.

Having Geno blowing everyone up rushing through the middle frees things up for the ends.

Either way, there is always the risk of a player dropping off after getting paid.

I think they need to keep both. Both guys could go to somewhere like Houston or Atlanta and be All Pro. Keep 'em.

Since Geathers had a 10.5 sack season and receiving a huge contract, his highest sack total in a year is 3.5. That's not acceptable taking into account how many years that is. This is his 5th year since then. He has 3 sacks so far this year, so I would guess that before the end of the year he will break that 3.5 mark, but do you really want to pay this guy to stay?

Since Geathers had a 10.5 sack season and receiving a huge contract, his highest sack total in a year is 3.5. That's not acceptable taking into account how many years that is. This is his 5th year since then. He has 3 sacks so far this year, so I would guess that before the end of the year he will break that 3.5 mark, but do you really want to pay this guy to stay?

I have not been a Geathers fan since they tried to make him a LB, during the great LB drought of 07. His salary is WAY too big for his production. Especially considering they let Fanaene and Rucker walk, yet decide to keep him. baffled.

I don't think Dunlap or MJ are the next to pull a Geathers...

I'm not the biggest defender of Geathers, but I think people tend to overlook what happened with him in regards to what was going on with the roster at the time. Injuries forced the Bengals to move Geathers out of the role that suited him best. The move to LB was just one of them. He was also told to gain weight and was moved to DT for a period as well. While Geathers has been less than stellar since signing his big contract, you simply can't overlook what the roster was dealing with and how the coaching staff utilized him.

A fair share of the criticism should be levied in that direction as well.

That being said, Geathers only comes back if the price is right and I wouldn't mind having him as depth only.

I really don't see a spot for Geathers next year. I expect the Bengals to draft another DE, bring Gilberry back (who's been very serviceable), and then Still & Thompson should be contributors next year at DT, so I don't see a way where he fits as a DL.

A rookie could most definitely come in and give just the same amount of production Geathers has, at a fraction of the salary. I really like Gilberry and I see him be more active than Geathers on the field. Gilberry doesn't seem to show up in the stats eventhough by watching the game you can see he does more than people would assume. I think they go into next years first game with 4 DE's and some hybrid players. They probably go with 4 true DTs and one guy that can play DT and DE. That gives them flexibility and makes it so they can continue their rotation of players to keep them fresh. The LBers and secondary are the two places on defense that needs upgraded. Kirkpatrick should be a starter next year opposite of Hall. I think they bring back Adam Jones again, and I'm not real sure about anyone else. Maybe Newman? Clements won't be back, Mays might not be back, Crocker might not be back either. That leave Nelson with a bunch of youngsters. Jason Allen was a waste of money and I hope the door hits him in the ass hard enough to knock him to his car. I wish Iloka would get some snaps. He could be the safety the Bengals are looking for. If Iloka and Nelson were on the field at the same time, they could become a hitting machine. Both have good ball skills as well.

I really wish the Bengals would just draft a safety early and have a better than average player for a long period of time. It's one of the positions the Bengals have typically ignored and the defense has missed. Stop depending on cast offs and late round hopefuls to play above their level.

If they dont do that, they won't take a safety at all as they already have both Iloka and Sands filling that role.

I also expect them to keep either Crocker or Clements at the spot if they don't draft someone early.

Mays ?? Sad to say even the 6th or 7th rounder we sent to San Fran for him was a waste.

A rookie could most definitely come in and give just the same amount of production Geathers has, at a fraction of the salary.

Maybe. But I just spent an entire offseason listening to someone tell me over and over how Jamaal Anderson and Devon Stilll would absolutely positively totally no doubt at all step into Rucker and Fanene's spots without the line missing a beat. So while I'm not by any means calling for the Bengals to re-sign Geathers (BTW don't be surprised if it happens, he won't cost much) the team's track record on d-line replacements lately doesn't fill me with confidence.

I'm also concerned that a big payday will lead them to "Geatherize" MJ. Hopefully they learned from that.

A rookie could most definitely come in and give just the same amount of production Geathers has, at a fraction of the salary.

Maybe. But I just spent an entire offseason listening to someone tell me over and over how Jamaal Anderson and Devon Stilll would absolutely positively totally no doubt at all step into Rucker and Fanene's spots without the line missing a beat. So while I'm not by any means calling for the Bengals to re-sign Geathers (BTW don't be surprised if it happens, he won't cost much) the team's track record on d-line replacements lately doesn't fill me with confidence.

I'm also concerned that a big payday will lead them to "Geatherize" MJ. Hopefully they learned from that.

Still and Thompson just haven't got the playing time they needed to develop. Anderson got hurt too early to tell if he would have made a difference. The Bengals are lucky to be in the position they are in given the early season injuries. Cook, Wharton, Anderson, Hall...For this team to have guys like Adam Jones, Trevor Robinson, and Clint Boling to step up has been huge. Boling almost more then Robinson. Everyone complained that Boling played light last year and was easily pushed back into the quarterback. This year he has become a brawler and awesome at pulling and blocking back on tackles and DTs on combo blocks and misdirections. I can't count how many times his seal blocks on a LB has freed a running back to get 10 plus yards. It's like seeing a night and day evolution out of him. I'm to the point where I see a problem with the coaches are going to have a tough road figuring out who starts.

I'd like to see them use their lower round picks to trade up in the mid rounds or trade for the next higher round pick in next year's draft

we need more quality and less quantity at this point in our development

Nah. That would deprive us of all our fun. Here's my wish list:

1. An offensive skill player with "huge upside."

2a. A diva wideout who slipped because he's a head case.

2b. A troubled college DE they plan to convert to LB who will get busted for DUI/weed/punching his girlfriend/not moving his illegally parked car/all of the above before the first minicamp.

3. A sleeper they will spend 4 years developing into a solid NFL starter and then let walk in FA because he's "not worth the money."

4. A tight end who can't block.

5. A wide receiver who will look real good in preseason but who won't be able to get a spot on a crowded WR corps and is waived in hopes of a practice squad spot but is claimed by another team.

6. An offensive lineman OL coach Alexander calls "the next Munoz" who gets hurt in camp for three straight years before getting cut.

7. A slow, sluggish RB with no chance to make the final roster.

:)

I'd like to see them use their lower round picks to trade up in the mid rounds or trade for the next higher round pick in next year's draft

we need more quality and less quantity at this point in our development

Nah. That would deprive us of all our fun. Here's my wish list:

1. An offensive skill player with "huge upside."

2a. A diva wideout who slipped because he's a head case.

2b. A troubled college DE they plan to convert to LB who will get busted for DUI/weed/punching his girlfriend/not moving his illegally parked car/all of the above before the first minicamp.

3. A sleeper they will spend 4 years developing into a solid NFL starter and then let walk in FA because he's "not worth the money."

4. A tight end who can't block.

5. A wide receiver who will look real good in preseason but who won't be able to get a spot on a crowded WR corps and is waived in hopes of a practice squad spot but is claimed by another team.

6. An offensive lineman OL coach Alexander calls "the next Munoz" who gets hurt in camp for three straight years before getting cut.

7. A slow, sluggish RB with no chance to make the final roster.

:)/>

You are starting to scare me, have you eaten your Wheaties today?

First- LB or RB, depending how late the Bengals pick. It's going to be impossible for the Bengals to get Teo, so they will have to find the next best thing.

Second A. - RB or Safety. Does Tyrann Mathieu come out and fall into the second? Or maybe the Bengals risk drafting him in the first? He's got the talent, he is just dead from the neck up. I mean this guy was a Heisman candidate last year.

Second B. - Best player available that fits within the group of positions the team needs and hasn't filled in yet. Out of these three picks, the Bengals need to fill holes in the secondary, in the linebacker corps, and at running back.

The rest of the draft would be drafting for depth which is a great position to be in. They can take risks on guys that have problems with high upsides. A DE, O-lineman, more Linebackers, a QB to possibly take Gradkowski's spot, and more defensive backs that can play great on special teams and develop into players who could push a veteran for playing time in the future.

That pretty much would be my draft strategy. There is a group of Running backs this year that can make things easy for the Bengals to get one at the position of any of their three picks. Barner, Ball, Stepfan Johnson, and Le'veon Bell all could be available when the Bengals pick. All are every down backs, some are bruisers, some are shifty, and some are all around dynamic. I'd take any of them and be happy. Here is how I would rank them:

1. Barner

2. Stepfan Johnson

3. Le'veon Bell

4. Montee Ball

If the Bengals can get Johnson or Bell in the second round I'd blow a nut.

Gio Bernard is my guy if he comes out this year. UNC RB.

No way does Tyrann Mathieu touch the 1st round, even without all of his issues. 2-3rd rounds were his best bet, and I think that he's killed that shot now.

Really liked Tank Carradine from FSU at DE in the 1st, but he just tore his ACL Saturday. He's a Cincinnati kid too.

I'm comfortable with DE, RB, LB, CB/S, LB, RB in the draft next year. Have to improve at LB and RB. There are a lot of safeties as well. Just don't draft the athletic rangy project that we usually draft and get a more polished, seasoned, consistent guy. A heady safety can be very good behind our pass rush.

Agreed about Bernard coming out from UNC. Can run up the middle, has speed to break away, and can catch.

He's also returned 3 punts for TD's this season as well.

Another back no one is talking about is Gillislee from Florida.

He's got that speed that want to see out of our backfield.

Good runner, receiver, and blocker.

Those are the top 2 on my wish list, but two each their own.