Reds vs Pirates

ArmyBengal

The Reds are right back at it tonight with a 3 game series against the Pirates.

The Reds send Latos, Leake, and Bailey to the mound.

Here's to hoping they can get the thought of dropping 2 of 3 to the Astros out of their heads. :angry:

To me Dusty was just plugging and playing some new guys during the series with the Astros, seeing how they would do. With the Reds having such a big division lead I think he felt it was a good time to take a look at some young bloods.

Reds win again. I love that even through this little "dry spell", they're sitting 29 over .500.

And the Padres nip the Cards. Magic number is now at 10. Would someone please que the fat lady? The division title will again belong to Cincinnati.

• Like 1

They go for the sweep today.

I wouldn't have guessed that they would have lost the series to the Astros, only to follow that up with (hopefully) a sweep of the Pirates. I thought this series would have had more meaning than it does. The Pirates quickly became an afterthought.

In thinking back, McCutchen was tearing up every pitcher he saw right up until Chapman nailed him with a 100mph fast ball to the side. It's like from that point on, he hasn't been nearly as effective. Has to make you wonder if he's gotten a little gunshy ?? It's not like getting hit by a Chapman fastball wouldn't have that effect on you. Just something I was thinking about.

GO REDS !!!

In thinking back, McCutchen was tearing up every pitcher he saw right up until Chapman nailed him with a 100mph fast ball to the side. It's like from that point on, he hasn't been nearly as effective. Has to make you wonder if he's gotten a little gunshy ?? It's not like getting hit by a Chapman fastball wouldn't have that effect on you. Just something I was thinking about.

I doubt it. More likely, he (and the rest of the team) just came back down to earth.

Either way, I'm glad to not have to worry about them anymore!

I wouldn't have guessed that they would have lost the series to the Astros, only to follow that up with (hopefully) a sweep of the Pirates. I thought this series would have had more meaning than it does. The Pirates quickly became an afterthought.

GO REDS !!!

Speaking of Chapman, I saw on ESPN this morning his fastest pitch in his last appearance Monday night was only 94 MPH. What happened to the heater?

GO REDS !!!

Speaking of Chapman, I saw on ESPN this morning his fastest pitch in his last appearance Monday night was only 94 MPH. What happened to the heater?

Actually his fastest pitch was 97 mph; his avg FB that night was 94.

He's been checked by Kremchek and diagnosed with shoulder fatigue, in other wods a tired shoulder. They'll rest him from pitching for 1-2 weeks and hopefully tune him up for the playoffs

Things change quickly in MLB. In May the biggest patsie you could play was the SD Pads. In July/Aug it was undoubtedly Houston. Now Pittsburgh is an easier team to play than the 'Stros or the Cubs and the Padsare about the toughest. It's not so much who you play but when you play them

They got the sweep, and the magic number is at 8. Dusty is still plugging and playing new guys. Not so many against the Pirates, but I saw new names in the lineup. I guess riding a 11+ game lead in September, you can take liberties such as this. Give the young guns a taste of the show.

Good for the future.

The sweep is complete. A wonderful game to watch with the family. And I love Baker's post-game reply when asked if it was a guess when they did a pitch-out on the attempted squeeze: "Somethin' like that". Ha ... they obviously did their homework and stole a sign. Kudos on the coaching side on that one ... it was the difference in the game. Oh yeah, and this team is heading to the post-season with several potential closers. Love it. (rest up Chapman!)

Yeah, Hoover looks like he will secure himself a spot in the bullpen next year.

He came in with a one run lead, with the sweep on the line, in front of the home crowd, and closed it out.

Nice to see him be able to get it done with Chapman getting some rest. I also can't help but mention how very good Hannigan has been behind the plate and his actions with the pitchers.

Oh yeah, the pitch out ?? Massive play.

Nicely done Reds !!!

Enjoy the day off.

They got the sweep, and the magic number is at 8. Dusty is still plugging and playing new guys. Not so many against the Pirates, but I saw new names in the lineup. I guess riding a 11+ game lead in September, you can take liberties such as this. Give the young guns a taste of the show.

Good for the future.

I'd like to see more of the young guys, specifically, I'd like to see more of Didi Gregorius at SS while Cozart's out. Why do we have to be continually be subjected to Valdez in the starting lineup. I'd platoon Valdez and Gregorius at SS until Cozart's ready

Good for the future.

I'd like to see more of the young guys, specifically, I'd like to see more of Didi Gregorius at SS while Cozart's out. Why do we have to be continually be subjected to Valdez in the starting lineup. I'd platoon Valdez and Gregorius at SS until Cozart's ready

If I remember correctly Valdez had an RBI last night. I'm not saying he's starting material yet, but he can contribute.

Good for the future.

If I remember correctly Valdez had an RBI last night. I'm not saying he's starting material yet, but he can contribute.

And for every time Valdez gets an RBI, he has 5 games where he doesn't contribute a d*mn thing.

Oh yeah, his .201 batting average isn't helping in the least.

Good for the future.

And for every time Valdez gets an RBI, he has 5 games where he doesn't contribute a d*mn thing.

Oh yeah, his .201 batting average isn't helping in the least.

He's a veteran guy that is solid in the field and has proven to be clutch in the past. I don't think his experience should be undervalued.

If they get into a clutch position in the playoffs and need to bring a guy up to the plate you better believe they'll take Valdez over Gregorius at this point. Sure, Gregorius needs at bats and time on the field, but you don't want to let Valdez rot on the bench when he may be needed in October.