Bengal Free-Agents

jjakq27

http://blogs.bengals...ree-agent-look/

Free agent look

A count of 13 starters, sometime starters and regulars are set to become free agents after Sunday's game. That is, when the collective bargaining agreement gets settled. A brief look:

CB Johnathan Joseph, turns 27 on April 16; 57 starts since 2006: Has formed one of the top cornerback tandems the past two years with Leon Hall. No question about his athleticism, but only two of his five seasons have been injury free. He's looking at somewhere between $8 to $10 million. Will they pay that to a guy who has missed 13 games with Hall, who has never missed a game, up next year?

RB Cedric Benson, turned 28 on Dec. 28; 38 starts since 2008: Has gained more yards in his first 40 Bengals games than Corey Dillon and Rudi Johnson. His durability, toughness and passion are unquestioned. He's missed just two games because of injury and the Bengals are 11-1 when he carries at least 24 times. Concerns are his seven fumbles this season and that he has just two runs this year of at least 22 yards.

RG Bobbie Williams, turns 35 on Sept. 25; 108 starts since 2004: Big-time leader, current offensive co-captain and durable performer who has missed just three games as a Bengal and that because of an appendectomy. Concern is age. With Anthony Collins playing well at right tackle, is it time to try Andre Smith at right guard?

TE Reggie Kelly, turns 34 on Feb. 22; 99 starts since 2003: Another great-leader type and locker-room rock. The concerns are his age and the lingering impact of his torn Achilles. The torch appears to have been passed to Jermaine Gresham.

MLB Dhani Jones, turns 33 on Feb. 22; 56 starts since 2007: About to win his third straight team tackling title. Coaches have relied heavily on his experience and smarts to be a coach on the field that makes calls and gets guys in the right spots. There are the age concerns and his trouble in pass coverage this season. Rey Maualuga has been groomed, but is he ready?

WR Terrell Owens, turned 37 on Dec. 7; 11 starts in 2010: Could have been named the club MVP after leading the team with 72 catches and nine touchdowns. But it looks and sounds like they're going younger and less dramatic at receiver.

S Roy Williams, turns 31 on Aug. 14; 14 starts since 2009: After being hurt most of last season, he's been reliable and active this season, but they may have to look to get younger at a safety spot in which they came up with just two forced fumbles this year.

S Chinedum Ndukwe, turns 26 on March 4; 31 starts since 2007: Physical presence who took some heat this year when the Bengals gave up a spate of big plays. Regular special teams contributor. He's young, knows the scheme and seemed to have won over Mike Zimmer until the big plays.

WLB Brandon Johnson, turns 29 on April 5; 15 starts since 2008: Incumbent special teams captain who was their most productive backer in '09 and continues to add spice to the third-down package with versatile skills in coverage.

DL Jon Fanene, turns 29 on March 19; 15 starts since 2005: Only played two games this year because of a hamstring problem just as he seemed to be coming into his own. Had a career-high six sacks last season both at tackle and end. His versatility makes him a valuable guy on third down and coming off the bench.

DL Frostee Rucker, turns 28 on Sept 14; eight starts since 2006: Another versatile guy that can play both end and tackle and has come up with some big plays in limited snaps. Has been lost for the last six games with a knee injury. Has had a quick, clean rehab and is going to be ready. His production is going to judged against his injury history. He's missed games in four of his five seasons.

RB Brian Leonard, turns 27 Feb. 3; one start since 2009: Solid third-down guy who has made a slew of big plays since coming over in May, 2009 trade. Reliable and steady, he turned out to be a steal in their first player-for-player deal in 19 years.

G Evan Mathis, turns 29 March 16; seven starts since 2008: Rotated much of last season at left guard and it's been a surprise he hasn't played more this year, when he hasn't had a start. Seen as reliable and smart and during his career has played or practiced at all the line spots

His injuries and the fact that he hasn't made a Pro-Bowl will bring down the price on Joseph. I think they can re-sign him for around $6 mill per.

Benson needs to go, unless he takes a 1 year incentive laden contract. Fumbles aside, the NFL average this season is 4.21 yards per carry. Benson "boasted" (hahaha) a horrific 3.5 per carry. Seriously? 3.5 ypc? buh-bye

2 things work in Bobbie Williams favor #1 Aside from moving Big Dre to Guard, they don't have a replacement for him. #2 he would come cheap on a 1-year deal (and Mike Brown likes cheap)

Thanks for everything Reggie, see you in a few years as an assistant

Dhani has a 50/50 shot to come back, but not as a starter.

T.O. you might want to make a highlight clip of this season (minus all the criticisms) and post it on You Tube...wait....does Al davis even know what You Tube is? Maybe Daniel Snyder does...

Roy Williams, re-sign him to a 1 year deal, and if nothing happens in the draft, keep him on the roster. Ndukwe is gone, so there is an available spot even with an addition of a Safety.

Ndukwe, you're outta here fella.

Brandon Johnson should be re-signed, I think we can all agree on that.

Fanene? If he could only stay healthy....but he can't so.....buh-bye

Frostee? See above

Brian Leonard: I like the way he plays, but would like to see Bernard Scott get more 3rd down opportunities. If they do not re-sign Benson however, and Scott gets more time as the primary back, they must re-sign him. His job Really depends on what they do in the draft and with Benson.

Evan Mathis = No Brainer.....Too bad Livings contract isn't up, maybe then he'd get some playing time.

Out of the whole list, Joseph is the only one I would go to the mat over.

Benson? Depends. If the Bengals are going to keep him happy by feeding him the ball, fine. If not, let him go, he'll just pout.

I'd like Johnson, Fanene and Leonard back, but wouldn't cry if they left either.

Everyone else is a meh (though given the situation at safety I wouldn't complain if Chinny or Roy came back).

Out of the whole list, Joseph is the only one I would go to the mat over.

Benson? Depends. If the Bengals are going to keep him happy by feeding him the ball, fine. If not, let him go, he'll just pout.

I'd like Johnson, Fanene and Leonard back, but wouldn't cry if they left either.

Everyone else is a meh (though given the situation at safety I wouldn't complain if Chinny or Roy came back).

Really i think Brandon Johnson is the best LB on this team, he is fast and can cover as well. He blitz better then anyone on this team, i think he needs to come back.

JJoe needs to be here

Benson needs to change his Jersey from # 32 to # 35, that way they can put a little decimal between the numbers to remind him of his pathetic average.....3.5 ypc doesn't warrant more touches...

I mean F*ck! He had 321 carries...only 4 RB's had more, and #1 was Michael Turner with 334....So he basically was 14 carries away from leading the league in that category....How many more does that douchebag want? Show me at least 4 yards per and I'd give him more carries, but at 3.5 I'd tell him F*ck You!!!! You don't deserve it!