Ricky Williams retired

The REAL reason he "retired":

Williams fails third drug test

By DAN LE BATARD

dlebatard@herald.com

Even if retired Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams changes his mind and decides to return to football this season, he will be forced to serve a four-game suspension after failing a third drug test for marijuana use.

Williams admitted Thursday that marijuana played a larger role in his retirement than he originally indicated, and that he learned of a third failed test and upcoming suspension just days before informing Coach Dave Wannstedt of his decision to quit football.

Williams said, however, that there were ''a hundred reasons'' for his retirement and that his desire to continue smoking marijuana without inhibition was merely one of them. He said he was not addicted to the drug, but merely that he didn't believe in government and NFL laws banning it. He said he had already decided to quit football even before testing positive a second time for marijuana use last season and incurring a $650,000 fine.He appealed that fine, flying to New York to argue his case before an arbiter with his attorney, but received word last week that his appeal had been denied. While the appeal was pending, Williams said he continued smoking marijuana while on tour with rocker Lenny Kravitz and Europe and failed a third test upon his return. He said he had been using a masking agent to cleanse his system while being randomly tested for two season, but said he didn't even bother before the last such test after returning from Europe.

''I didn't quit football because I failed a drug test,'' he said. ``I failed a drug test because I was ready to quit football.''

Williams said the Dolphins didn't know of his third failed test or even the results of his appealed second one. NFL confidentiality rules prevent teams from commenting on player drug issues, with a possible penalty of $500,000.

Williams failed his first drug test soon after arriving in Miami in 2002. He spent much of his two seasons with the Dolphins in the league's drug program, seeing a therapist weekly and subjected to eight to 10 random urine tests a month at his home.

Williams said he continued smoking throughout his time as Dolphins, stopping only for a month here and there, but passed random tests by drinking 32 ounces of a masking agent called Extra Clean and chasing it quickly with 32 ounces of water. Upon retirement, Williams originally said that he hadn't learned yet of the results of his appeal and that the NFL's drug rules didn't run him off but rather merely reinforced that his lifestyle didn't belong in the regimented football world.

Williams, who suffers from social-anxiety disorder and was a spokesperson for the anti-depressant Paxil, said marijuana helped him once he had to stop using Paxil because it didn't agree with his diet.

''Marijuana is 10 times better for me than Paxil,'' he said.

Williams said he doesn't see anything wrong with marijuana because it is ''just a plant'' and his hero, Bob Marley, admitted to smoking it daily. Williams has Marley tattooes all over his body, named his first child Marley and is friends with Marley's children.

Good God--I'm reminded of Michael Jordan's "First Retirement".

In case you're wondering about that--David Stern knew that Michael Jordan had big-time gambling problems. Stern knew that Mike was about to get in trouble--so instead of having the NBA's Golden Boy smeared--Mike took Stern's advice and retired for a couple of years. He went and played something that sort of looked like baseball but wasn't--for Jerry Reisendork's other organization--the s**tcago White Sux. Yeah, Jerry Reisendork's the real reason why the White Sux suckass too (but that's another story).

Here's a harsh rumor about Jordan's big-time gambling problem: Mike owed some big money to a bunch of real bad guys. Jordan was renigging (the pun was intended) on his debts--so the bad guys had Jordan's Dad killed.

Again, that's a very nasty rumor. True, I despise Jordan with a passion--the cocky a**h***--but I still hope that one's not true.

Still, I have to smile everytime I think about what Jordan did to finalize his career before the Wizards "fired" him:

1. He couldn't stand having a big ego stud like Rip Hamilton playing next to him, so Jordan let Hamilton go play for the Pistons. You saw some of the results of this trade in the NBA Championship.

2. Kwame Brown was his BIG BABY!!! :lol: (pun was intended here too!)

I love it!!! I'm so damned glad I don't have to see his stupid smiling mug on all those commercials anymore.

In case you're wondering about that--David Stern knew that Michael Jordan had big-time gambling problems. Stern knew that Mike was about to get in trouble--so instead of having the NBA's Golden Boy smeared--Mike took Stern's advice and retired for a couple of years. He went and played something that sort of looked like baseball but wasn't--for Jerry Reisendork's other organization--the s**tcago White Sux. Yeah, Jerry Reisendork's the real reason why the White Sux suckass too (but that's another story).

Here's a harsh rumor about Jordan's big-time gambling problem: Mike owed some big money to a bunch of real bad guys. Jordan was renigging (the pun was intended) on his debts--so the bad guys had Jordan's Dad killed.

Again, that's a very nasty rumor. True, I despise Jordan with a passion--the cocky a**h***--but I still hope that one's not true.

Still, I have to smile everytime I think about what Jordan did to finalize his career before the Wizards "fired" him:

1. He couldn't stand having a big ego stud like Rip Hamilton playing next to him, so Jordan let Hamilton go play for the Pistons. You saw some of the results of this trade in the NBA Championship.

2. Kwame Brown was his BIG BABY!!! :lol: (pun was intended here too!)

I love it!!! I'm so damned glad I don't have to see his stupid smiling mug on all those commercials anymore.

Barb you are the man......You are so funny to me!! :D

In case you're wondering about that--David Stern knew that Michael Jordan had big-time gambling problems.  Stern knew that Mike was about to get in trouble--so instead of having the NBA's Golden Boy smeared--Mike took Stern's advice and retired for a couple of years.  He went and played something that sort of looked like baseball but wasn't--for Jerry Reisendork's other organization--the s**tcago White Sux.  Yeah, Jerry Reisendork's the real reason why the White Sux suckass too (but that's another story).

Here's a harsh rumor about Jordan's big-time gambling problem:  Mike owed some big money to a bunch of real bad guys.  Jordan was renigging (the pun was intended) on his debts--so the bad guys had Jordan's Dad killed.

Again, that's a very nasty rumor.  True, I despise Jordan with a passion--the cocky a**h***--but I still hope that one's not true.

1.  He couldn't stand having a big ego stud like Rip Hamilton playing next to him, so Jordan let Hamilton go play for the Pistons.  You saw some of the results of this trade in the NBA Championship.

2.  Kwame Brown was his BIG BABY!!!  :lol: (pun was intended here too!)

I love it!!!  I'm so damned glad I don't have to see his stupid smiling mug on all those commercials anymore.

Barb you are the man......You are so funny to me!! :D

Kitared,

Thanks for showing me some love, girl!!! I like your points too. I wasn't kidding around about you knowing how to talk smackola. Now if only we could get you to "strike a pose" and post a pic in here.

:lol:

Kitared,

Thanks for showing me some love, girl!!! I like your points too. I wasn't kidding around about you knowing how to talk smackola. Now if only we could get you to "strike a pose" and post a pic in here.

:lol:

No matter what they say about you Barb.....you will always get love from me!!

**as for the pic, I just cut all my hair, so when I get a good one I will post it! :P

well on ESPN today he was defended by one of those guys and the guy had a point...

In the past 2 seasons he has touched it over 400 times....that is alot and a lot of touches equals bad health...so they may be able to get some oney back but Ricky Williams has a legit point in court...

Oh boy! This is wonderful! From ESPN.com:

Wednesday, August 4, 2004

ESPN.com news services

Don't be so quick to close the book on Ricky Williams' career ... maybe.

Williams, whose world retirement tour stopped in Oakland last weekend to visit twin sister Cassie, told SI.com that he likes Oakland so much he'd consider resuming his career there -- maybe as soon as 2005.

Williams told SI.com "the only way I would" consider a comeback is with the Raiders. "I love Cali," the San Diego native said.

Williams cited the Raiders' strong offensive line as a reason he likes the Raiders, according to SI.com. Also in Oakland is head coach Norv Turner, his former offensive coordinator with the Dolphins.

He also told the Web site his quirky personality would be welcomed by Raider Nation -- "crazy fans who would expect a weirdo," he said.

Of course there are obstacles if Williams does try to play for the Raiders next season -- starting in Miami. Williams' rights belong to the Dolphins for the next two seasons.

Williams officially filed retirement papers with the NFL Management Council, meaning he can't play this season if he decides to return to football.

Williams' use of marijuana played a role in his stunning retirement.

Williams told Dan Le Batard, a reporter for the Miami Herald and for ESPN The Magazine, that he learned he failed a third drug test and faced a suspension just days before making his decision to retire.

The star running back said the developments played a part in his sudden retirement, but that it wasn't the only issue involved in his decision. Williams insisted there were "a hundred reasons" for leaving the NFL.

"I didn't quit football because I failed a drug test," he said. "I failed a drug test because I was ready to quit football." Williams also told Le Batard that he had wanted to quit playing football even before testing positive a second time for marijuana use in May and getting fined $650,000.

Under league rules, if a player in its substance-abuse program files retirement papers, he cannot unretire for a year without penalty. If he unretires in less than a year, it's counted as a positive drug test in the NFL program -- which, in Williams' case, would be his fourth positive test and would result in an indefinite suspension.

If Williams unretires after a year, he still would be facing a four-game suspension. A third positive test brings with it a mandatory four-game suspension.

The former Heisman Trophy winner played three seasons for New Orleans and considered retirement while with the Saints, coach Jim Haslett said.

"In 2001, Ricky came in my office and told me he was going to retire and play baseball," Haslett said. "I don't know if we talked him out of it. We told him he wasn't a very good baseball player -- maybe that did it."

Williams didn't blossom until he was dealt to the Dolphins in 2002 for two first-round draft picks.

At times, Miami's biggest trade since 1970 looked like a steal. Williams led the NFL in 2002 with 1,853 yards rushing and broke nine team records. Last season he ran for 1,372 yards despite little offensive support.

Oh boy! This is wonderful! From ESPN.com:

Wednesday, August 4, 2004

ESPN.com news services

Don't be so quick to close the book on Ricky Williams' career ... maybe.

Williams, whose world retirement tour stopped in Oakland last weekend to visit twin sister Cassie, told SI.com that he likes Oakland so much he'd consider resuming his career there -- maybe as soon as 2005.

Williams told SI.com "the only way I would" consider a comeback is with the Raiders. "I love Cali," the San Diego native said.

Williams cited the Raiders' strong offensive line as a reason he likes the Raiders, according to SI.com. Also in Oakland is head coach Norv Turner, his former offensive coordinator with the Dolphins.

He also told the Web site his quirky personality would be welcomed by Raider Nation -- "crazy fans who would expect a weirdo," he said.

Of course there are obstacles if Williams does try to play for the Raiders next season -- starting in Miami. Williams' rights belong to the Dolphins for the next two seasons.

Williams officially filed retirement papers with the NFL Management Council, meaning he can't play this season if he decides to return to football.

Williams' use of marijuana played a role in his stunning retirement.

Williams told Dan Le Batard, a reporter for the Miami Herald and for ESPN The Magazine, that he learned he failed a third drug test and faced a suspension just days before making his decision to retire.

The star running back said the developments played a part in his sudden retirement, but that it wasn't the only issue involved in his decision. Williams insisted there were "a hundred reasons" for leaving the NFL.

"I didn't quit football because I failed a drug test," he said. "I failed a drug test because I was ready to quit football." Williams also told Le Batard that he had wanted to quit playing football even before testing positive a second time for marijuana use in May and getting fined $650,000.

Under league rules, if a player in its substance-abuse program files retirement papers, he cannot unretire for a year without penalty. If he unretires in less than a year, it's counted as a positive drug test in the NFL program -- which, in Williams' case, would be his fourth positive test and would result in an indefinite suspension.

If Williams unretires after a year, he still would be facing a four-game suspension. A third positive test brings with it a mandatory four-game suspension.

The former Heisman Trophy winner played three seasons for New Orleans and considered retirement while with the Saints, coach Jim Haslett said.

"In 2001, Ricky came in my office and told me he was going to retire and play baseball," Haslett said. "I don't know if we talked him out of it. We told him he wasn't a very good baseball player -- maybe that did it."

Williams didn't blossom until he was dealt to the Dolphins in 2002 for two first-round draft picks.

At times, Miami's biggest trade since 1970 looked like a steal. Williams led the NFL in 2002 with 1,853 yards rushing and broke nine team records. Last season he ran for 1,372 yards despite little offensive support.

I'll just go ahead and apologize to Kitared before I start.

Only in Cali would a freak like Ricky be offered asylum. Only in the Bay Area would something like this happen.

Kitared, could you see Ricky and his drag queen boyfriend marching up Haight Street???

Ewwwww, icky!!!!!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

What a joke Dicky Williams has become.

Yeah, I remember the baseball retirement suggestion. I could just hear Coach Haslett:

Dicky: Dude....er.....Coach, I'm going to retire.

Haslett: What the f**k for???

Dicky: To play baseball--I like those white balls better.

Haslett: 2 things Ricky: 1. You're a pervert. 2. How do you expect to make it in Major League Baseball by hitting only .220??? In other words, you're not any good at baseball.

Dicky: Oh yeah, I forgot about that. It must be this damned weed making me forget s**t. Here coach, you wanna hit???

:lol::lol:

Only in Cali would a freak like Ricky be offered asylum. Only in the Bay Area would something like this happen.

Kitared, could you see Ricky and his drag queen boyfriend marching up Haight Street???

Ewwwww, icky!!!!!!!

No need to apologize!! The guy is weird and has his own thing going on....but most people from Diego are! Nothing new....

I can say that I won't be mad if he comes to the Raiders, I would be kind of happy to see him in S&B! As for what he does outside of the S&B, that is on him, if he wants to parape up and down Haight street with his shemale....more power to him. Just make sure you pass the drug screen and can run the ball on Sunday!!

Only in Cali would a freak like Ricky be offered asylum.  Only in the Bay Area would something like this happen.

Ewwwww, icky!!!!!!!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

No need to apologize!! The guy is weird and has his own thing going on....but most people from Diego are! Nothing new....

I can say that I won't be mad if he comes to the Raiders, I would be kind of happy to see him in S&B! As for what he does outside of the S&B, that is on him, if he wants to parape up and down Haight street with his shemale....more power to him. Just make sure you pass the drug screen and can run the ball on Sunday!!

Now THAT is f**king hilarious!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I guess that $8 million the fins want might put a crimp in Ricky's stash! :lol:

Report: Williams considering return to Dolphins

SportsTicker

MIAMI (Ticker) - According to a report out of South Florida, Ricky Williams has made overtures to Miami Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt about returning to the team.

The South Florida Sun-Sentinel reported Wednesday that Williams, who stunned the football community with the announcement of his retirement in late July, has contacted his former coach.

The 27-year-old Williams has filed his retirement papers with the league but reportedly is considering a comeback if the team meets certain conditions - including the renegotiation of his current contract.

The newspaper cites several NFL sources in its report.

Williams likely would have to miss the 2004 season, unless he appealed - and was successful in overturning - a penalty for three positive tests for marijuana.  The filing of his retirement papers served as a fourth failed test - an infraction that carries a mandatory year suspension.

So basically, he doesn't want to get suspended for a few games because of pot, so he quits for a whole season, screws his coach and teammates...but now he'll come back next year...? What a :wacko: