Bengals Better at Every Position...

JPW

Check it out.

Bengals Better

I especially liked.......

GH: But you really don’t know what you have in Carson.

ML: Yeah, we do know what we have. We watched Carson every day for a year. We watched the other guy play and everybody says, “Boy, he’s a great quarterback,” so we know what we’ve got.

GH: So he’s better than Kitna?

ML: He’s better than Jon or he wouldn’t be the starter.

And.....

GH: Given how the season ended struggling against the run and you weren’t able to get defensive tackles Warren Sapp or Daryl Gardener, are you worried about the tackle rotation?

ML: Our defensive tackles had nothing to do with us giving up run yardage. The runs that we gave up were because of the perimeter of our defense, and getting 11 guys to play together. Nothing to do with how you play defensive tackle. That’s a copout. I’m talking about 11 guys, which is how you keep people from having 60-yard runs against you.

It was a good interview. The only part I didn't like was Lewis' comment "you don't learn anything from losing".

Come on Marvin...of course you do. For shame...

Other than that, I enjoyed his point of view. It's refreshing after listening to fan banter most of the time. No offense intended, folks. ;)

Man! Marvins statements sure squash alot of arguments around here about Kitna, and the worrying about the defensive line. This man is confident going into his sophomore season in Cincinnati, as he well should be. His coaching history shows steady team improvement during his tenure with any team. Why should it be any different here?

It was a good interview. The only part I didn't like was Lewis' comment "you don't learn anything from losing".

Come on Marvin...of course you do. For shame...

Other than that, I enjoyed his point of view. It's refreshing after listening to fan banter most of the time. No offense intended, folks. ;)

At this point in time, I will agree with you that you can learn something from taking a loss. Prior to last year I would have had to disagree due to the fact that after 10 straight years of losing, we'd have learned everything there was to know about football.

Point is that you have to be able to learn from your mistakes and not repeat them. Speaking of repeating mistakes ..... has anybody taken a stick to Coslett yet ???? <_<

I hope he is right about the DTs but I just dont buy it! Every one ran up the midlle on us, I dont remember too many 60 yarders. I seem too recall alot of ten yard runs rught up the middle at Hardy. Maybe if they get on the same page thay will be better but were they that out of whak last year, Dont think so.

Every one ran up the middle on us

Funny...that's not what I recall, especially in the final game with Cleveland. I recall Suggs running off tackle, or outside most of the time. I may be wrong. Does anyone have the official stats of the game?

There's only one area I'm positive we've improved over since last year and that's the secondary.

- Linebackers - 2 rookies need to impress very soon to justify their draft positions.

- D- Tackle - If we've improved , then why did we go after , Rod Coleman,Warren Sapp,Daryl Gardner,and a list of others, but fail to land all of them. Tony Williams will need a PRO-Bowl season to justify playing next to standout John Thornton.

- Defensive End - Reached on Patterson last year, and may have done the same with Geathers this year. - Odom had better bomb to justify passing on him twice ! :angry:

D Tackle - If we've improved , then why did we go after , Rod Coleman,Warren Sapp,Daryl Gardner,and a list of others, but fail to land all of them. Tony Williams will need a PRO-Bowl season to justify playing next to standout John Thornton.

Chris this is true but everywhere else we are stronger. De,Lb and the secondary for sure. I think Geathers will be considered a steal.

D Tackle - If we've improved , then why did we go after , Rod Coleman,Warren Sapp,Daryl Gardner,and a list of others, but fail to land all of them. Tony Williams will need a PRO-Bowl season to justify playing next to standout John Thornton.

Chris this is true but everywhere else we are stronger. De,Lb and the secondary for sure. I think Geathers will be considered a steal.

The fact of the matter is, if we don't get a push up front, offensive lineman will roam free to block our linebackers at the second level. - ONCE that' happens we'll be praying Rogers Beckett can stay healthy for a full season after he leads the team in tackles after chasing running backs 15 + yards down the field.

I don't want to turn this into a racial thread, but as Doug Williams first broke down the wall at QB, I truly see Marvin Lewis as being the first black Super Bowl Champion head coach in the NFL.

(God I hope I didn't omit someone with this statement! :unsure: )

Check it out.

Bengals Better

ML: Yeah, we do know what we have. We watched Carson every day for a year. We watched the other guy play and everybody says, “Boy, he’s a great quarterback,” so we know what we’ve got.

And.....

GH: Given how the season ended struggling against the run and you weren’t able to get defensive tackles Warren Sapp or Daryl Gardener, are you worried about the tackle rotation?

ML: Our defensive tackles had nothing to do with us giving up run yardage. The runs that we gave up were because of the perimeter of our defense, and getting 11 guys to play together. Nothing to do with how you play defensive tackle. That’s a copout. I’m talking about 11 guys, which is how you keep people from having 60-yard runs against you.

Wait a sec!!! Defensive Tackles have nothing to do with Run Defense??? Am I missing something here??? I know that "all 11 guys" have to perform well to stop the run--but isn't the Defensive Tackles the focus point???

I have to be missing something. Someone help me out here.

Wait a sec!!!  Defensive Tackles have nothing to do with Run Defense???  Am I missing something here???  I know that "all 11 guys" have to perform well to stop the run--but isn't the Defensive Tackles the focus point???

I have to be missing something.  Someone help me out here.

I think he means that to have an effective defense you just need all 11 playing as one. :blink:

Coach doesn't say anything about a great defense without the big tackles. :rolleyes:

Well, c'mon fellas, what do you expect him to say? That his team is going to suck? Or even that everything, or anything for that matter, is less than perfect? I certainly hope that he's 100% right, but I still see better than I hear. Bring on camp and let's get on with the seein'.

Check it out.

Bengals Better

And.....

Wait a sec!!! Defensive Tackles have nothing to do with Run Defense??? Am I missing something here??? I know that "all 11 guys" have to perform well to stop the run--but isn't the Defensive Tackles the focus point???

I have to be missing something. Someone help me out here.

Defensive Tackles can't help you when the runs are to the outside, and they can only help so much when they are double teamed at the line and they don't get linebacker support and safety support for the run. Oh and by the way when was the last time you saw a defensive tackle make a tackle 10 yards down the field on a run? You don't because they don't run that far that fast.