Thinking outside the box

Horsemen

Mike Brown wanted Coughlin and was ready to hand him the job. Pumpkin and Troy Boy wanted Lewis talking Mikey into bringing the guy here.

Is this true? I can't remember this, though I've seen it promoted on this board a couple times. I'd really like to know if any legitimate media reported this as being true.

It was mostly rumor and speculation, but as I recall the generally agreed-upon story was that Mike's preferred guy was then Steelers OC Mike Mularkey. He was that year's "hot young offensive coordinator," exactly the kind of guy Brown traditionally covets. But the Steelers were in the playoffs that year and Mularkey was in no hurry to hook his fortunes to the busted-down Bengals cart. Meanwhile, the Bengals wanted to get someone into place quickly so as to begin preparation for free agency and the draft (since as you know coaches = scouts in Cincy).

Tom Coughlin, so the story continued, freaked Mike out in his interview, laying out plans to not only rebuild the team but the whole organization, a level of control that Brown was never going to give. So he was never a serious candidate. Lewis, as Horseman said, allegedly impressed Katie and Troy, and he was their choice; Mikey supposedly favored waiting on Mularkey but eventually relented and went with Lewis.

How much of that is true, who knows, but nothing strikes me as particularly unbelievable. However, the only guy who knows for sure is Mike and he ain't talking.

Is this true? I can't remember this, though I've seen it promoted on this board a couple times. I'd really like to know if any legitimate media reported this as being true.

I recall it being reported at that time by the Cincinnati Enquirer that Mike was leaning towards Coughlin however Pumpkin and Troy wanted Lewis.

I don't recall the Mike Mularky stuff but that was possible as well. That opens up some serious questions then. One big one of which just how bad is it gonna get under Pumpkin? The second: Dick LeBeau, Bob Bratkowski, Marvin Lewis. What do they have in common? They're all from the Stoolers organization....

Mikey likes ex-Stoolers coaches well enough, so give Russ Grimm a chance Mikey.

russ grimm sucks. just what we need on this team: another fat fudge-packer. :huh::angry::unsure:

I recall it being reported at that time by the Cincinnati Enquirer that Mike was leaning towards Coughlin however Pumpkin and Troy wanted Lewis.

I don't recall the Mike Mularky stuff but that was possible as well. That opens up some serious questions then. One big one of which just how bad is it gonna get under Pumpkin? The second: Dick LeBeau, Bob Bratkowski, Marvin Lewis. What do they have in common? They're all from the Stoolers organization....

Mikey likes ex-Stoolers coaches well enough, so give Russ Grimm a chance Mikey.

Marty Schottenheimer.

I'd be cool with Marty he's a proven winner and still feel he got screwed over by the chargers...it's better then brat!

Brian Billick- he'd be lower on my list Another one who was willing to take over the Bills in order to keep coaching. He's was a Bengals fan growing up and whle unspectacular it's an option.

Brian Schottenheimer Maybe him as the Coach and his dad runs football operations/finds us a GM?

Russ Grimm Hmmmmm at this point I wouldn't complain

Ron Rivera. If we hire Rivera we may as well start talking about our next next HC

Gruden I didn't like the idea of him last year but would warm up to the idea of him coming in.

[

Before Head coach though I'd like to see us Bring in Tony Dungy or another Grand fooba to run football operations :P,I know it won't happen because Mike Brown is still alive but I can dream.

John Harbaugh- It is unlikely but possible. Again, the Brown Family loves the NFL family tree deal and will possibly look towards this gentleman. Not a bad idea, one thing about College coaches is they excel at coaching up raw talent. He has done a good job at that, turned around a College team AND has them beating the "NFL caliber" schools.

I also would not mind them making a run at Hue Jackson, who is the OC out in Oakland.

Didn't Hue only sign one year deal with them? :P Still wish we would have brought him in for our OC need :|

Of course Marvin's over-all record is a failure, no one here succeeds, no one has under Mike Brown, ever, and they never will. We're just hoping he steps down or passes on before we all do.

I don't think it will be that hard for Marvin to find another DC job he was always successful as one and the only guy who was able to send "Rey Lewis" to the superbowl,As for HC Maybe after he has another successful stint as as DC and people will pity the fact that he had mike Brown for a owner because outside of Wilson what owner ever agrees with mike brown? Not a single one.

Realistic options-

Paul Alexander

Bob Bratkowski

Ken Zampese

Mike Zimmer

Does that get anyone exited? Didn't think so...

Bengals 2011 get your season tickets now!!

Sad...But it's True : / Alexander as our HC and Brat as our OC for 10 more years.

Quickly dismissed? I thought you wanted to hang out in reality? Mike Brown wanted Coughlin and was ready to hand him the job. Pumpkin and Troy Boy wanted Lewis talking Mikey into bringing the guy here.

Coughlin didn't want cinci because Mike Brown wasn't willing to spend the extra money to win...

russ grimm sucks. just what we need on this team: another fat fudge-packer.

Hall of fame linemen,Has been a superb coach ya he sounds so terrible Paul alexander though that's a coach to be proud of!

Not sure if it's been mentioned above but some of the national talking heads have mentioned Marvin and Zimmer as possible candidates for the Dallas job.

Why would Jerry want more defense minded head coach. It didnt work so well with the last one, im just not sure i believe it

I think it is because he was there before, had some success and is known as a tough nut. I think it is mere speculation at this point so they are just throwing out names that are a possibility no matter how unrealistic it might be. However, the one name that was getting a great deal of play from Colin Cowherd was Jim Harbaugh of Stanford.

http://bleacherrepor...-dallas-cowboys

As for the effect of Phillips firing on our team, I can just hear MB telling Katie, "that Dallas has thrown a ton of money and resources at their franchise yet they are no better off than the we are. Therefore our way works and costs a lot less!"

Dallas is guilty of waiting too long, but it's doing now what the Bengals should have done immediately after the Tampa Bay loss. Because by firing Wade they gave themselves a direction to move in and they'll get a taste of what Garrett will be like as a head coach. And regardless of how he performs, good or bad, the Cowboys have jump started their recovery program by months.