assessment

richmond_mat

I wouldn't say the defense stinks. It gave up a couple big plays, it made a couple big plays. I think the D is living and dying by turnovers a little too much. I like turnovers, but I'd like to see more 3-and-outs. I also think Frasier gets a little too clever for his own good sometimes. Dropping run-stuffer Thornton into pass coverage (where he promptly got burned), for example.

You're right about STs, tho.

Can anyone return a kick ?

Unfortunately Dante Hall can, averaging 26.6yds per return and scoring 2 TD's in the process.

I still have grave concerns about the D being able to stop a decent running back and can see Preist Holmes having a big day on Sunday.

Having said that if our O line can come up big again we have a chance to outscore Kansas, and I would look to Schobel to get some effective yardage which I feel he is overdue.

The Bengals are live on British tv - the last time this happened they were shutout against the Browns and I'm still being given grief about it, so the Bengals owe me a big day!

FOREVER THE OPTIMIST: Cincinnati Bengals 34-28 Kansas City Chefs

Bengals 'D' against opponents top rushers this season:-

DENVER Portis 120 yds on 24 carries = 5.00 ave and 2 x TD

OAKLAND Garner 63 yds on 13 = 4.85 ave nil TD

PITTS Zereoue 69 yds on 16 = 4.31 ave nil TD

CLEVE Gree 47 yds on 16 = 2.94 ave nil TD

BUFFALO Henry 85 yds on 25 = 3.40 ave and 1 x TD

BALT Lewis 101 yds on 19 = 5.32 ave nil TD

SEATTLE Alexander 86 yds on 20 = 4.3 ave nil TD

ARIZONA Shipp 141 yds on 29 = 4.86 ave nil TD

HOUS Davis 104 yds on 15 = 6.93 ave and 1 x TD

TOTAL 816 yds on 177 = 4.61 ave

Admitted there have been some notable games like stopping The Bus and holding Lewis under 100yds but I still feel giving up an average 4.6yds per carry is far too much. We have given up 4 x 100yds games out of 9 and have only twice kept the average rush under 4.00 yds per carry

Bengals 'D' against opponents top rushers this season:-

DENVER Portis 120 yds on 24 carries = 5.00 ave and 2 x TD

OAKLAND Garner 63 yds on 13 = 4.85 ave nil TD

PITTS Zereoue 69 yds on 16 = 4.31 ave nil TD

CLEVE Gree 47 yds on 16 = 2.94 ave nil TD

BUFFALO Henry 85 yds on 25 = 3.40 ave and 1 x TD

BALT Lewis 101 yds on 19 = 5.32 ave nil TD

SEATTLE Alexander 86 yds on 20 = 4.3 ave nil TD

ARIZONA Shipp 141 yds on 29 = 4.86 ave nil TD

HOUS Davis 104 yds on 15 = 6.93 ave and 1 x TD

TOTAL 816 yds on 177 = 4.61 ave

Admitted there have been some notable games like stopping The Bus and holding Lewis under 100yds but I still feel giving up an average 4.6yds per carry is far too much. We have given up 4 x 100yds games out of 9 and have only twice kept the average rush under 4.00 yds per carry

good stuff,I love stats.... I think Holmes will get his 100 and 2 TDs without breaking a sweat honestly, its just a question of if we can do the other things to win this game and not let him get too out of control, like 200 and 4 or something crazy. :D

The key is Scottishbengal's stats is the TDs, or rather, the lack thereof. The D is letting the big backs get yards, but not points. Fewer yards would certainly help, if for no other reason than it would mean stopping more drives and givng the offense the ball more, but as long as they don't score I don't care how many yards they gain.

I hear what you're saying JoiseyCat but yards do make points eventually. The Bengals are giving up just over 22 points a game although they are only scoring just under 21 themselves - hence the close games so far this season. Kansas are giviving up just over 16 whilst scoring nearly twice as many at just under 32 - hence the fact they are 9-0. Now a lot of these 32 points per game will be scored because of Priest Holmes getting the yardage to put Kansas in scoring position and this is my concern for Sundays game - stopping him having a phenomenal day and Kansas running up a cricket score. Kansas are the best team in the league at the moment and it will be a great opportunity to measure how far the Bengals have come. If they can keep the game close it should be a thrilling encounter - hopefully with a Bengals win and not an embarrassing drubbing.

I hear what you're saying JoiseyCat but yards do make points eventually.

True -- but if your RB isn't getting into the end zone then you're kicking FGs (3 instead of 7) or trying to throw the ball for a TD, which gives us opportunities for tips and INTs (which we've been getting).

Now a lot of these 32 points per game will be scored because of Priest Holmes getting the yardage to put Kansas in scoring position and this is my concern for Sundays game - stopping him having a phenomenal day and Kansas running up a cricket score.

There is a very simple way to do that: don't let the Chiefs have the ball. The most encouraging thing about yesterday's game was the way the Bengals played keep-away in the fourth quarter. The Chiefs game will be a big test for Rudi: can he get the same kind of yards, convert first downs, grind away the clock? We do that and we're in good shape, because Priest Holmes can't score while he's sitting on the bench.

The Chiefs game will be a big test for Rudi: can he get the same kind of yards, convert first downs, grind away the clock? We do that and we're in good shape, because Priest Holmes can't score while he's sitting on the bench.

That's a very interesting point. If both teams go to a ball / clock control type running game, this could be a lower scoring game than everybody ( including me ) is expecting.

Being able to run on the Chiefs isn't going to be easy. I think their D line is a tad better than Houstons.

Of of the things in the stats that doesn't show up is the Bengals inability to run the Ball in most of those games. Yeah, I know they ran yesterday and Houston still had a decent game running, mainly because of one big run. If the other team has the chance to run, they are gonna do it, if the Bengals can't run, they can't control the clock, that allows the other team to commit to the run, if a coach is truly committed to the run they will and with a decent running game they will rack up some yards. The Bengals haven't been able to run, so a team will challenge them by running and controlling the clock. As the Bengals running game improves you'll see teams not able to run as much. Also, the defense giving up the big pass plays, you run that risk in the defense that Frazier runs when you don't have the key players for that. The defense was put into place for next year, and having a shutdown corner. Remember, this is still suppossed to be a rebuilding year, to be in contention is an awsome bonus, and a indication of the high level of coaching that Coach Lewis and his team are capable of.

cheers