Joey Votto

ArmyBengal

I will admit that Joey has given me another reason to watch what's going on with the Reds and I find myself checking to see what both he and Pujols did in their games that night. Now there has been a couple others jumping in the mix in a category or two, but Votto and Pujols are still the main players across all three.

Gonzalez is sitting at 29 HR's, so he's certainly not out of the mix completely and Dunn is 11 off the RBI's and his batting average has never been close. I'm just hoping Votto can keep hitting nicely and actually be right there come the end of the season. That would be something else to see, but seeing the Reds in the playoffs will be awesome as well !!!

So for those who care, these are the standings after last nights games:

BATTING AVG

1. Gonzalez, COL, .326

2. Votto, CIN, .325

3. Pujols, STL, .320

HOMERUNS

1. Pujols, STL, 35

2. Votto, CIN, 32

3. Dunn, WAS, 32

RUNS BATTED IN

1. Pujols, STL, 95

2. Votto, CIN, 93

3. Gonzalez, COL, 92

It's nice to see. I can't say I really care, since batting average and runs batted in mean very little to me in the first place. My primary interest here is how the numbers will impact the MVP race still raging between Votto and Pujols. I think a good argument could be made for either of them at this point.

Here you go. Very good read and some things I wasn't aware of.

/>http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100830/SPT04/8290371/1071/Two-elite-hitters-one-elusive-feat

I think it's stuff like this that make the season more interesting.

While the odds aren't with him historically and the fact he's going up against Pujols don't help, he's still right there.

GO VOTTO !!!

I don't know that he'll win the triple crown but I sure love seeing him play. He's the best hitter I've seen in a Reds uniform since George Foster and that encompasses a lot of talented offensive players.

I don't know that he'll win the triple crown but I sure love seeing him play. He's the best hitter I've seen in a Reds uniform since George Foster and that encompasses a lot of talented offensive players.

Don't forget he's a hell of a defensive player as well. That play he made tonight for a force out at second was spectacular!

Don't forget he's a hell of a defensive player as well. That play he made tonight for a force out at second was spectacular!

Joey just got the #1 spot in Web Gems for that play!

I don't know about you other guys, but I find myself FAR more interested everytime Votto comes up to the plate simply because of the triple crown race. In other words, if he's 0-2 on the night, I'm really pulling for him to get a hit even if they are out of a game and it would be meaningless. I really want to see him stay in this.

He's tops in Batting Average and RBI's after last nights game and 3 behind Pujols in homers.

The homeruns are the one category I think he may come up short in, but it's still very possible.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

BATTING AVG

1. Gonzalez, COL, .337

2. Votto, CIN, .326

3. S. Castro, CHC, .317

HOMERUNS

1. Pujols, STL, 37

2. Dunn, WAS, 34

3. Votto, CIN, 32 (tied with Gonzalez, COL)

RUNS BATTED IN

1. Votto, CIN, 100

2. Gonzalez, COL, 100

3. Pujols, STL, 99

I think HR's will be the hardest for Votto to overcome and while he's not out of it, Pujols will be facing some poor teams right along with the Cards, so it will be interesting. If there is no triple crown winner, the Reds make the playoffs, and the Cardinals don't, I think Votto has to be a top candidate for MVP.

GO VOTTO !!!

Gonzalez was a very impressive player to watch this week. He has kinda flew in under the radar with the other two but he would be very deserving as well.

Just a general question to the masses. Does the triple crown or two of the three guarantee the MVP. Or are there two of the three that are considered more important? Or do you get into stuff like OBP, RISP etc.?

UPDATE:

BATTING AVG

1. Gonzalez, COL, .337

2. Tulowitzki, COL, .323

3. Votto, CIN, .320

HOMERUNS

1. Pujols, STL, 39

2. Dunn, WAS, 34

3. Votto, CIN, 33

RUNS BATTED IN

1. Pujols, STL, 104

2. Votto, CIN, 102

3. Gonzalez, COL, 100

Pujols has a big surge in HR's and RBI's, but is still short in the BA category, batting .309. I still think this can go a few different ways, but Votto now has 6 HR's to makeup and he needs to pop out of this little slump he's been in to make a run at this. I'm not all consumed in thinking Votto HAS to win this, it's just something else to keep track of in a very fun season for our Reds.

GO VOTTO !!!

It's looking more and more like no one will win the triple crown this year, just like the past 33

It is SO hard to do but what a year though. You have 3 guys that seriously contended for it. That is awesome.

IMO, Carlos Gonzalez should win the MVP this year over Votto. What that guy has done and what his team has done over the last couple weeks is truly amazing.

It is SO hard to do but what a year though. You have 3 guys that seriously contended for it. That is awesome.

IMO, Carlos Gonzalez should win the MVP this year over Votto. What that guy has done and what his team has done over the last couple weeks is truly amazing.

It's a close call but I'd have to give the nod to Votto. His offensive numbers are better...Votto's the only one in the league with an OPS over 1.000.

And taking the Reds to a division title is a bigger feat than the Rockies. The Reds haven't even had a winning year in a decade. If the Rockies fall short of the playoffs then it's a huge advantage to Votto

BATTING

Gonzalez, Colorado .337

Tulowitzki, Colorado .323

Votto, Reds .321

Prado, Atlanta .313

Castro, Chicago .312

Pujols, St. Louis .308

RBI

Pujols, St. Louis 104

Votto, Reds 103

Gonzalez, Colorado 101

Howard, Philadelphia 100

McGehee, Milwaukee 93

HOME RUNS

Pujols, St. Louis 39

Dunn, Washington 34

Votto, Cincinnati 34

Reynolds, Arizona 32

Gonzalez, Colorado 32

• 2 weeks later...

As of today 27Sept2010:

BATTING AVG:

Gonzales, COL, .341

Votto, CIN, .326

Tulowitzki, COL, .321

HOMERUNS:

Pujols, STL, 42

Votto, CIN, 37

Dunn, WAS, 37

RBI's

Pujols, STL, 116

Gonzales, COL, 114

Votto, CIN, 111

The thing that jumps off the triple crown categories at this moment is, Votto is the only one in the top 3 of each.

Pujols leads 2 of the 3, but is still off on his BA. Gonzales is still 4 dingers from being on the list there.

Votto still has an outside shot and I still think he should be the leading candidate for MVP.

Things can change, but if nothing else, his season has been AWESOME !!!